Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circumcision illegal in Ireland?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The way I see circumcision is that it's my body and if a piece of it is going to be surgically removed I think it's my basic human right that I should be consulted on that, save for exceptional circumstances where I'm unconscious, my life is at risk and a medic has to make that decision for me.

It should be illegal except where medically necessary, for whatever reason, or where a consenting adult chooses of their own wish and their own right to have it done. And from what I can gather, the supposed medical benefits have been greatly exaggerated by those who would advocate it on religious grounds.

Sub-Saharan Africa might be an exception, but in the likes of Europe and the US there are no medical benefits at all really, and considerable risk of ruining one of your most important* pieces of anatomy if the person performing it botches the job.

*probably THE most important in all honesty :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A number of men in both my family and my husband's family have been circumcised due to phimosis. As a result I will be having my son checked for the condition at all his pediatric appointments. And if it looks like he has it I will strongly consider having him circumcised in order to prevent him suffering pain and distress in puberty and beyond. It's not a decision I relish making and I hope I don't have to, but good parenting doesn't always equal waiting for the child to be old enough to decide for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Religious circumcision of infants is telling God that he did a bad job designing the human. He also did a lousy job on wisdom teeth.

What kind of parents would let a holy man with a scalpel near their child and what sort of government turns a blind eye to it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Banbh wrote: »
    He also did a lousy job on wisdom teeth.
    No comment needed on fitting declicate, dangly bits onto the male of a species with an inbuilt tendency for violence.

Advertisement