Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circumcision illegal in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

Circumcision is a violent act perpetrated against children by fanatic adults in the name of religious edict.

How do these fanatics get away with perpetrating such crimes and not end up in prison for GBH?

Is circumcision illegal or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Doesn't circumcision have some health benefits? Or at least it's a cosmetic decision, not unlike ear piercing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You know it's not illegal. Don't ask stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Circumcision is a violent act perpetrated against children by fanatic adults in the name of religious edict.

How do these fanatics get away with perpetrating such crimes and not end up in prison for GBH?

Is circumcision illegal or what?

Doesn't seem to be.

Unless of course you're stupid enough to think that you can do it with the tools you find in your kitchen drawers.

http://www.circlist.com/circ-law/mainpage.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

dlofnep wrote: »
    You know it's not illegal. Don't ask stupid questions.

You do not get to decide what is a stupid question and what isn't so don't make stupid comments.

Assault is illegal so how come circumcision isn't deemed assault?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not all circumcisions are performed on children.

In fact I doubt there are many new borns being circumcised in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

You do not get to decide what is a stupid question and what isn't so don't make stupid comments.

Why isn't a tonsillectomy or appendectomy deemed assault then?

It isn't assault if the patient or parent/guardian of the patient gives consent for the procedure.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »

It isn't assault if the patient or parent/guardian of the patient gives consent for the procedure.

Your mixing up surgery for health and circumcision for religious edict - they are clearly quite different.

If a parent gave consent to chop off a child's little finger tip because the great Monkey God says he should - is that assault? If it is then how is circumcision not?

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Your mixing up surgery for health and circumcision for religious edict - they are clearly quite different.

If a parent gave consent to chop off a child's little finger tip because the great Monkey God says he should - is that assault? If it is then how is circumcision not?

No I'm not. I've a friend, who isn't from a Jewish family, and had to be circumcised when he was an infant for medical reasons.

If the circumcision was done for purely cosmetic reasons, not religious, would you still be calling for it to be labelled as assault?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

But the parents could claim they were doing it for medical reasons as there are health benefits to circumcision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It is stupid, because you know full-well that circumcision is not illegal.

Because it's not assault. Women find it nicer anyways! I'm going to get the snip soon, and I'll be running around the place swinging it like there's no tomorrow.

• Advertisement

No I'm not. I've a friend, who isn't from a Jewish family, and had to be circumcised when he was an infant for medical reasons.

If the circumcision was done for purely cosmetic reasons, not religious, would you still be calling for it to be labelled as assault?

Again you're mixing up a medical procedure with a barbaric act carried out by religious edict.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dave! wrote: »
    Doesn't circumcision have some health benefits? Or at least it's a cosmetic decision, not unlike ear piercing...

There are three reasons that people get their children circumcised: Religious (blood sacrifice/covenant according to tradition), puritan (makes masturbation more difficult) or medical (too tight etc). Well I suppose there's the third; stupid (going with the flow - it's the done thing).

There have been claims that it makes HIV transmission slightly more difficult, but it's a trivial statistical difference. Claims of cleanliness are nonsense.

It's basically a load of stupidity that results in infected, deformed and mutilated boys every year, and even when it goes correctly it results in lowered sensitivity in the long term and complete agony in the short.

I'd be absolutely in favour of out lawing it without genuine medical reasons.

And no Jews, I don't care if it upsets you, your right to pratice your religion ends at the point where you take a knife to your infant's genitals.

Because they are a medical necessity. If a circumcision is performed for the same reason then sure, good call parents. Otherwise they're cutting off piece's of their children's genitals for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP means when it's done to kids purely for religious reasons, and I agree with him that's wrong. The person having the procedure can't have their own choice, then.

I had it done for health reasons when I was 8.

That's just pointless mutilation though... A better example would be, if a religious cult mandated that members have their ears pierced, would it be okay for a parent to have their child's ears pierced for that reason?

I wouldn't see it as a big deal myself.

It is stupid, because you know full-well that circumcision is not illegal.

If you can't figure out that I'm asking this question to create a debate around circumscision and why it's not considered assault then I doubt I have the talent to helo you 'get it'.

Because it's not assault.

Your (misguided) opinion. How you don't deem the cutting off of a childs foreskin or removal of a childs clitoris as assault is beyond me.

Women find it nicer anyways!

Rubbish - how can this be tested as being a true statement without a rigourous experiment. What a stupid thing to say.

I'm going to get the snip soon, and I'll be running around the place swinging it like there's no tomorrow.

Do me a favour - quit thanks whoring :rolleyes: After hours is that way >>>>

That's just pointless mutilation though... A better example would be, if a religious cult mandated that members have their ears pierced, would it be okay for a parent to have their child's ears pierced for that reason?

I don't believe any child's bodily integrity should be compromised for the sake of some adult cult.

I always feel sorry for babies and small children when I see their ears pierced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Do you actually consider ear-piercing and cutting off the tip of someone's penis to be equivalent procedures?

Anyway, if there was a cult piercing their children's ears I would be as loud or upset about it as I am circumcision, but yes, I would oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

[noparse]
    X
    [/noparse] =
    X

[noparse]
    yorema wrote:
    X
    [/noparse] =
    yorema wrote:
    X

It is not illegal to have a circumcision preformed on an infant boy for religious reasons,
    but it is regulated and not just anyone can preform it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

As a Jew, I still find the act of circumcision wrong and barbaric. I've always just found it to be a nauseating, out-dated and thoroughly pointless practice. I have an uncircumcised Israeli boyfriend and by fook, there's no way in hell I'd do that to any of my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

FGM isn't even illegal in Ireland

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I don't believe any child's bodily integrity should be compromised for the sake of some adult cult.

I always feel sorry for babies and small children when I see their ears pierced.

Whut?

Here:
    Are there benefits from circumcision?

There are several:

Many older men, who have bladder or prostate gland problems, also develop difficulties with their foreskins due to their surgeon's handling, cleaning, and using instruments. Some of these patients will need circumcising. Afterwards it is often astonishing to find some who have never ever seen their glans (knob) exposed before!

Some older men develop cancer of the penis - about 1 in 1000 - fairly rare, but tragic if you or your son are in that small statistic. Infant circumcision gives almost 100% protection, and young adult circumcision also gives a large degree of protection.

Cancer of the cervix in women is due to the Human Papilloma Virus. It thrives under and on the foreskin from where it can be transmitted during intercourse. An article in the British Medical Journal in April 2002 suggested that at least 20% of cancer of the cervix would be avoided if all men were circumcised. Surely that alone makes it worth doing?

Lots of men, and their partners, prefer the appearance of their penis after circumcision, It is odour-free, it feels cleaner, and they enjoy better sex. Awareness of a good body image is a very important factor in building self confidence.

Balanitis is an unpleasant, often recurring, inflammation of the glans. It is quite common and can be prevented by circumcision.

Urinary tract infections sometimes occur in babies and can be quite serious. Circumcision in infancy makes it 10 times less likely.

Sefirah wrote: »
    As a Jew, I still find the act of circumcision wrong and barbaric. I've always just found it to be a nauseating, out-dated and thoroughly pointless practice. I have an uncircumcised Israeli boyfriend and by fook, there's no way in hell I'd do that to any of my kids.

I think that children should, at the very least, be allowed to reach an age where they make the decision on whether or not they want to have it done.

I'm all for religious freedom but I just can't understand why the cutting off of children's body parts continues in this day-and-age.

Zillah wrote: »
    Do you actually consider ear-piercing and cutting off the tip of someone's penis to be equivalent procedures?

Anyway, if there was a cult piercing their children's ears I would be as loud or upset about it as I am circumcision, but yes, I would oppose it.
    Cutting off the tip of the actual cock, no, that would be pointless mutilation... Cutting off some of the foreskin though is a relatively minor procedure for an infant.

I'm not too keen on the religious motivation, but if it has a net benefit in most cases, then it's not something I care too much about. If the Jehovah's Witnesses decide tomorrow that you have to have all your vaccinations in order to be a member, then I'll leave them to it!

mehfesto wrote: »
    Whut?

Here:

What?

So better hygiene = less disease. Um we've known that for hundeds of years - nothing new there.

I'd rather wash my penis that cut the foreskin off TYVM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

It should be noted that circumcision is also an Islamic practice. It is quite common in such countries as Turkey and Malaysia for circumcision to take place when the boy is older, too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5PCkYYzATc&playnext=1&list=PLD6532AC4701CBAB8
    Sickening.

Stopped watching ^^ when the child was on the operating table

*crosses legs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

wtf?

It's much more comparable to lopping off a fingertip than an ear piercing. I don't support the piercing of children's ears at all, but an ear piercing is not a serious surgical procedure. An ear piercing can be removed, and if the hole doesn't close, it's just a tiny hole, not affecting anything.

The routine cutting off of an infant's foreskin is an unnecessary surgical procedure which carries all the risks of surgery with it (infection, potential complications etc.). It completely alters the look of the penis, removes a considerable amount of very sexually sensitive skin, decreases the sensitivity of the head and makes masturbation more difficult.

You seem to assume, bizarrely, that the foreskin is just a useless flap of skin. Yes, you can function ok without it, and yes, there are valid medical reasons for which a small number of men will have to have it done, but doing it routinely to infants is barbaric.

Oh, and there are zero health benefits. AFAIK, some studies have suggested that in third world countries with AIDS epidemics, that those with circumcisions are less likely to contract it (and also studies which refute this claim). That's about it. Pretty **** case for routine infant genital mutilation in the first world, don't ya think?

It's common in America too, outside of religious practice.
    The benefits just outweigh the potential side-effects.

Alos hygiene is one thing - penile cancer, UTIs, reducing cervical cancer in women is another. These are all benefits of male circumcision.

What are the negative effects in your opinion?

I mean this argument whether people should or shouldn't do this to their child is essentially pointless. It's like arguing that a parent should or shouldn't give a child a religion, or whatever. It's in the parents hands and there's little to be done about it. It doesn't cause any long term damage, be it physical or mental.

And finally it can reduce the instances of AIDS:

From the WHO
    There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. Three randomized controlled trials have shown that male circumcision provided by well trained health professionals in properly equipped settings is safe. WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I'm going to get the snip soon, and I'll be running around the place swinging it like there's no tomorrow.

Because no woman wants to touch it as it is? :P

• Advertisement

yawha wrote: »

The routine cutting off of an infant's foreskin is an unnecessary surgical procedure which carries all the risks of surgery with it (infection, potential complications etc.). It completely alters the look of the penis, removes a considerable amount of very sexually sensitive skin, decreases the sensitivity of the head and makes masturbation more difficult.

Bollocks. All of that other than the image alteration is absolute rubbish.

I've been circumcised later in life than the norm. If affected nothing. I don't know who told you that, but I've been happily working away with myself in the time since. I hacn't broken 'my banjo string', since obviously.
    You seem to assume, bizarrely, that the foreskin is just a useless flap of skin. Yes, you can function ok without it, and yes, there are valid medical reasons for which a small number of men will have to have it done, but doing it routinely to infants is barbaric.

Why? It is a useless flap of skin!
    Oh, and there are zero health benefits. AFAIK, some studies have suggested that in third world countries with AIDS epidemics, that those with circumcisions are less likely to contract it (and also studies which refute this claim). That's about it. Pretty **** case for routine infant genital mutilation in the first world, don't ya think?

See my above case. There are numerous reasons.
    There have been no associate deaths in the US as a result of Male Circumcision. Given the millions of cases that occur yearsly, that's an impressive figure. The only other reported side-effects were small (sickness post anaesthesia, etc.) and it doesn't warrant any unnecessary concern.

Advertisement