Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appalling comments by the ISPCA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Discodog wrote: »
    But doesn't this question their real desire to improve animal welfare ?.

Yes, you're absolutely right, but their inspectors on the whole do a brilliant job, probably despite the management of the organisation rather than because of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

They don't just pts dogs in pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dolliepop

So he was a banker before he became the CEO of the ISPCA, I really believe the ISPCA is all about money these days, they don't really care about the animals. And its a shame that because of this the other SPCA's all over the country get bad publicity when really they have NOTHING to do with the ISPCA.

GRR!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aidan203

"After a period of investigation, last week ISPCA Inspector Lisa O’Donovan and the Gardai closed in on a self-styled animal rescue centre in County Cork. Twenty seven dogs of various breeds were removed from the property while three dead dogs were also found on site."

Full story: http://ispca.newsweaver.co.uk/newsletter/c3cmeuwrl04x4curduxs8m

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Interesting use of the word "rescue" in the article & no mention of the name. Convenient "validates" Griffin's comments.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Discodog wrote: »
    Interesting use of the word "rescue" in the article & no mention of the name. Convenient "validates" Griffin's comments.

Well if the name of the rescue had been mentioned, surely that could have compromised any conviction if they take them to court? Which they hopefully will.

Well we will have to see what develops but this "incident", which may or may not be related, was referred to as a "dog breeding facility"

http://www.corkindependent.com/local-news/local-news/ispca-remove-dogs-from-inadequate-breeding-facility-in-cork/

There is an obvious concern that the PR dept may start using the word "rescue" for incidents that may not be in any way linked to bona fide rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Candc

Just to add my two cents worth - the Laois Dog Pound has now started a facebook campaign to rehome any dogs they can. It's how I got my dog and from what I see on FB every day it is very successful. So not all ISPCA pounds are the same and some are trying their best to rehome as many dogs as they.

My Dog is a large dog and I literally got her out a few hours before they were due to put her to sleep as no one wanted to take her - and only for FB would never have known about her.

I know the name of the person raided by the ISPCA and trust me, she is no more a rescue than I am Irish. She is a mad woman and whoever gave her animals should have their heads examined.

She was a member on the EGAR FB and she offered for nearly every dog I put up for rehoming to *take it off my hands*. Utter nutter.

Candc wrote: »
    Just to add my two cents worth - the Laois Dog Pound has now started a facebook campaign to rehome any dogs they can. It's how I got my dog and from what I see on FB every day it is very successful. So not all ISPCA pounds are the same and some are trying their best to rehome as many dogs as they.

My Dog is a large dog and I literally got her out a few hours before they were due to put her to sleep as no one wanted to take her - and only for FB would never have known about her.

Hi CandC, I posted about Laois Pound on this thread can't remember which page it was. What a difference ONE person can make ;).

She contacted me about a Boxer at the pound with growths in his mouth and he came here and we are awaiting biopsy results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Candc

I thought I'd read all of thread must have missed that post because I was looking to see if someone had mentioned the Laois pound.

I saw you had taken the Boxer on the FB page - poor guy. Glad that he is being looked after though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The 2010 statistics have been published. Still a poor showing for the ISPCA
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/DogControl/
    The greyhound stats are particularly shocking - 100% pts in some pounds

But it is good to actually see the Greyhound figures for the first time. After all the IGB would have us believe that none end up in Pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Compiled info for 2010, for anyone who's interested:

All Dogs:
    157415.jpg

Greyhounds only:
    157416.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aidan203

http://www.madra.ie/

MADRA is a volunteer-run organisation under the management of registered dog trainers Marina Fiddler and Tara Nic Dhiarmada.
    We are dedicated to finding new homes for unwanted, neglected, abused and abandoned dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nissan14

The ispca are useless I took on a stray dog as a pup with the agreement that they get her spaded at six months I said I would make a donation (I was on social welfare)
    when the time came I rang them and I explained the situation to them. She told me on the phone that it would be 70 euro I asked could I pay that of weekly she said yes
    then the day came i rang and was told it was postponed till the next week I told them i would be out of the country visiting relations she then turned around a said in a nasty tone if ya can afford to go to England you can afford to pay it all up front 190 euro they wanted
    i rang a private vet and the quoted 160 so I rang about 10 more and they did not even come close to that
    i got my dog done in the end for 20 euro (twenty euro )
    Thanks to my local vet
    The ISPCA is a Waste of time !!
    look after your pets please :)

nissan14 wrote: »
    The ispca are useless I took on a stray dog as a pup with the agreement that they get her spaded at six months I said I would make a donation (I was on social welfare)
    when the time came I rang them and I explained the situation to them. She told me on the phone that it would be 70 euro I asked could I pay that of weekly she said yes
    then the day came i rang and was told it was postponed till the next week I told them i would be out of the country visiting relations she then turned around a said in a nasty tone if ya can afford to go to England you can afford to pay it all up front 190 euro they wanted
    i rang a private vet and the quoted 160 so I rang about 10 more and they did not even come close to that
    Thanks to my local vet

You got the dog spayed for €20 because the vets would have got the rest from the Dogs Trust, it is a scheme that they run. So it was a charity that paid for you to get the dog spayed, just a different one, not the ISPCA, but Dogs Trust.

Sorry, but I can partly understand the ISPCA person's attitude, you got a pup and agreed to pay towards the cost of spaying it when the time came. Then you ask if you can pay it off weekly, but yet go off on holiday. Both organisations can only do the spaying and neutering at discounted rates because members of the public make donations.

ISDW wrote: »
    You got the dog spayed for €20 because the vets would have got the rest from the Dogs Trust, it is a scheme that they run. So it was a charity that paid for you to get the dog spayed, just a different one, not the ISPCA, but Dogs Trust.

Sorry, but I can partly understand the ISPCA person's attitude, you got a pup and agreed to pay towards the cost of spaying it when the time came. Then you ask if you can pay it off weekly, but yet go off on holiday. Both organisations can only do the spaying and neutering at discounted rates because members of the public make donations.

Yes I understand those of you are quick to judge, The holiday was a gift and i explained that to the ISPCA plus the ISPCA that the dogs trust system was not running any more explain that?? That is a joke I they looked for a payment that was over the top
    so what I go to see family at Christmas as a gift and they punish me and go back on a deal that is stupid and unfair i would not have taken that dog otherwise I wanted a boy dog pup but she persuaded me to take the bitch :confused: please reply :D

Yes I understand those of you are quick to judge, The holiday was a gift and i explained that to the ISPCA plus the ISPCA that the dogs trust system was not running any more explain that?? That is a joke I they looked for a payment that was over the top
    so what I go to see family at Christmas as a gift and they punish me and go back on a deal that is stupid and unfair i would not have taken that dog otherwise I wanted a boy dog pup but she persuaded me to take the bitch :confused: please reply :D

I'll reply alright.

You are now saying something that you didn't say in your original post, and that I'm guessing you didn't say to the ISPCA woman.

The Dogs Trust scheme has been cut back drastically, each vet practice now only gets one book of vouchers (if that), they usually come out around March each year and are gone very quickly. You were obviously incredibly lucky to find a vet that still had some at Christmas, probably the only vet in the country to do so, so well done.

So now you are saying that you were going to the UK at Christmas, and the ISPCA wanted to spay your dog during Christmas week? Wow, now thats service.

I'm not quick to judge at all, but I don't like when people take advantage of charities that other people donate to, people who are probably in the same situation as you, but want to do their bit. From what you've posted, it appears that you didn't give them a donation when you got your pup, but agreed to help towards the cost of spaying? Which you then didn't do? I don't think it was them that went back on the deal was it? They are a charity, not a business, do you not understand that? They didn't breed your puppy, they took her, or her mother whilst in pup, into one of their centres, fed them, probably vaccinated them etc, the money that cost them didn't come out of thin air.

I'll reply alright.

You are now saying something that you didn't say in your original post, and that I'm guessing you didn't say to the ISPCA woman.

The Dogs Trust scheme has been cut back drastically, each vet practice now only gets one book of vouchers (if that), they usually come out around March each year and are gone very quickly. You were obviously incredibly lucky to find a vet that still had some at Christmas, probably the only vet in the country to do so, so well done.

So now you are saying that you were going to the UK at Christmas, and the ISPCA wanted to spay your dog during Christmas week? Wow, now thats service.

I'm not quick to judge at all, but I don't like when people take advantage of charities that other people donate to, people who are probably in the same situation as you, but want to do their bit. From what you've posted, it appears that you didn't give them a donation when you got your pup, but agreed to help towards the cost of spaying? Which you then didn't do? I don't think it was them that went back on the deal was it? They are a charity, not a business, do you not understand that? They didn't breed your puppy, they took her, or her mother whilst in pup, into one of their centres, fed them, probably vaccinated them etc, the money that cost them didn't come out of thin air.
    i did tell the Ispca woman about the holiday and she suggested Xmas week not me and she insisted on it i was willing to wait till after
    I did donate to the Ispca but not any more I Helped any chance I could get and I yes I PAYED for the vaccinations myself and since when does it cost 190 to vaccinate a pup of 6 months answer that

• Advertisement

i did tell the Ispca woman about the holiday and she suggested Xmas week not me and she insisted on it i was willing to wait till after
    I did donate to the Ispca but not any more I Helped any chance I could get and I yes I PAYED for the vaccinations myself and since when dose it cost 190 to vaccinate a pup of 6 months answer that

I'm going to assume you mean neuter. It cost me 140 to neuter my male dog, will be considerably more to neuter a female so yeah, would easily cost 190euro.

Shanao wrote: »
    I'm going to assume you mean neuter. It cost me 140 to neuter my male dog, will be considerably more to neuter a female so yeah, would easily cost 190euro.
    what WEIGHT was your dog
    this contributes allot to the cost the heavier the dog etc.
    i was quoted not more than 165 euro for my bitch who was probably a little over 20 kg at 6 months old and 140 to do a male that is a high price did ya look around at all

I did donate to the Ispca but not any more I Helped any chance I could get and I yes I PAYED for the vaccinations myself and since when does it cost 190 to vaccinate a pup of 6 months answer that

Gosh, you are an aggressive person aren't you, I can understand why the phone conversation with the woman from the ISPCA might have got a bit heated if you were talking to her the way you are typing here.

As you asked so nicely though, I will answer that:D It depends on the weight of the dog as to the cost of spaying, I'll assume as Shanao did that you meant spay, and not vaccinate? If you did mean vaccinate, then I don't understand your question.

You need to remember what you say in your posts, as you are contradicting yourself, in your first post you said you would make a donation, nowhere did you say you have made a donation.

Thanks to my local vet

I won't be as rude as you, you can answer if you like, but you don't have to if you don't want to:)

what WEIGHT was your dog
    this contributes allot to the cost the heavier the dog etc.
    i was quoted not more than 165 euro for my bitch who was probably a little over 20 kg at 6 months old and 140 to do a male that is a high price did ya look around at all

No i didn't look around because I'm an idiot:rolleyes: Yes i looked around and got the same price from all of my local vets. I chose to go with my vet who I trusted and I had saved up for it (even if it meant our next grocery shops for a while were done in aldi). He was coming up 40kgs, but as I said, its considerably more to get a female dog neutered as it is a much more invasive operation. My female is 44kgs, I'm expecting it to cost over two hundred to spay her. You're talking an operation, anasthetic, antibiotics, pain killers, and after care and it does add up.

The ISPCA are completely swamped with cruelty cases and dumped/stray animals in the past year, they need all the help they can get. You have to look at it from their perspective too; I'm willing to bet they constantly have people trying to get discounted rates for neutering/ops etc even though those people can afford it. I'm certainly not saying that's the case with you, but with the situation Ireland is in, a lot of people will try anything to get out of spending money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My dog is 5kg and it cost €187 to have her neutered about 2 weeks ago. And i only earn about €20 more than the dole a week, also had her chipped at the same time. I didnt ask anyone to pay for it, I saved for months and got it done myself. You got something for next to nothing, stop complaining.

sambuka41 wrote: »
    My dog is 5kg and it cost €187 to have her neutered about 2 weeks ago. And i only earn about €20 more than the dole a week, also had her chipped at the same time. I didnt ask anyone to pay for it, I saved for months and got it done myself. You got something for next to nothing, stop complaining.

that included the chip

that included the chip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

that included the chip

NO the chip was an extra €30, it was half price, should have been €60 but because she already had the anesthetic it was half (its the most expensive part). The €187 was just for the spaying.

Gosh, you are an aggressive person aren't you, I can understand why the phone conversation with the woman from the ISPCA might have got a bit heated if you were talking to her the way you are typing here.

As you asked so nicely though, I will answer that:D It depends on the weight of the dog as to the cost of spaying, I'll assume as Shanao did that you meant spay, and not vaccinate? If you did mean vaccinate, then I don't understand your question.

You need to remember what you say in your posts, as you are contradicting yourself, in your first post you said you would make a donation, nowhere did you say you have made a donation.

I won't be as rude as you, you can answer if you like, but you don't have to if you don't want to:)

i have made donations in the past before i got the dog or even it was an agreement when i took on the pupppy

• Advertisement

NO the chip was an extra €30, it was half price, should have been €60 but because she already had the anesthetic it was half (its the most expensive part). The €187 was just for the spaying.

that was expensive sorry my vet is 140 for a lab bitch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement