Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

The Cush wrote: »
    I think we've all guessed it would be Arqiva.

I see TBNN signed a 23 year agreement with them back in 2010 - http://www.tbnnorth.com/news/tbnn-signs-multi-million-framework-agreement-with-arqiva/

I assume there should be some sort of official announcement very soon, or has it already happened and we've missed it ?

DSO in NI was well covered on last Saturday's OYB:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/oyb#playepisode1

also, quite a bit about Saorview reception in the province as well as a mention of the NIMM which, it was hoped, would be in place by 24th October

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    I assume there should be some sort of official announcement very soon, or has it already happened and we've missed it ?

No official announcement yet but as your friend Sam posted above "it would be fair to say that contract has already been tendered won and work started" by you know who. Sam's post is the closest to an official announcement we've had so far.

The switchover roadshow events in NI are now on Digital UK's website, starting on the 3rd August at Belfast City Hall and ending on the 24th-25th October at the same location:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/northernireland_events?result_30972_result_page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

The switchover roadshow events in NI are now on Digital UK's website, starting on the 3rd August at Belfast City Hall and ending on the 24th-25th October at the same location:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/northernireland_events?result_30972_result_page=1
    They've been there now for over a fortnight - what I find interesting is that they reckon Omagh is in the main transmission group for Limavady rather than Brougher Mountain :eek: I'm assuming that they're taking Strabane being possibly slightly more reliable post-DSO in the town than Brougher, but most people with Freeview here will already be trained on Brougher and will still need to be if they want the commercial multiplexes & RTÉ/TG4 MiniMux post-DSO.

DigitalUK press release from last week announcing the start of the switchover campaign in NI.
    TV SWITCHOVER CAMPAIGN LAUNCHES
    Countdown to end of analogue era for 650,000 households

The public information campaign to help viewers in Northern Ireland prepare for the digital TV switchover was launched today with the help of BBC and UTV presenters Donna Traynor and Marc Mallett.

In just six months’ time, on 10 October 2012, analogue terrestrial TV services for around 650,000 households will start being switched off. Digital UK and the Switchover Help Scheme will support viewers across the region as they prepare for the biggest change to TV for a generation.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/press_office/press_releases_2012
    http://www.facebook.com/digitaluknorthernireland

BBC News - Northern Ireland digital switchover campaign launched
    Countdown to digital switchover - UTV Live News
    DTG News Switchover campaign launches in Northern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

DigitalUK press release from last week announcing the start of the switchover campaign in NI.Why would you not chose at FreeviewHD box ?
    DIGITALUK wrote:
    ...For the same price of £40 or free, people in Northern Ireland can also choose a FreeviewHD box which can receive TG4, RTE One and RTE Two, subject to coverage in their area....

Why would you not chose at FreeviewHD box ?

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

Nice to see that Armagh, one of the 5 main cities in the north is not having a switchover event at it, yet small little towns like Kilkeel and Warrenpoint are getting them. Where's the logic in that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Nice to see that Armagh, one of the 5 main cities in the north is not having a switchover event at it, yet small little towns like Kilkeel and Warrenpoint are getting them

Those places in the shadow of Mournes have signal issues and local relays??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

ardmacha wrote: »
    Those places in the shadow of Mournes have signal issues and local relays??
    Armagh has a local relay as well and some in the city may not get the full Freeview service even after DSO.

I think it would be fair to say that contract has already been tendered won and work started... There won't be any prizes for guessing who won it but it will be sub contracted out, TBNN would be in for a shout for that type of contract.

This posted by zg3409 following a Saorview Digital TV talk at IT Carlow given by Saorview:Brian and others from RTÉNL
    zg3409 wrote: »
    The Talk in IT Carlow was very interesting. It wasn't for the end use public, but about the entire countrywide rollout and how the system works etc. from an engineering perspective.

Regarding the NI minimux no-one has won contract, no futher info.

I wonder what they mean by that - still under discussion or tender cancelled due to single bidder (Arqiva?) and/or cost too high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iqon66

Guys i have a kenmark 32inch freeview ready tv with a mpeg 2 tuner built in,yesterday i set up my uhf group A aerial and pointed towards brougher tuned in the analogue channels they were very good picture then i tuned in the channels for the freeview all i got was all the rte radio channels,It says freeview can be received from brougher mountain,I live on the donegal,fermanagh border,Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

This posted by zg3409 following a Saorview Digital TV talk at IT Carlow given by Saorview:Brian and others from RTÉNL

I wonder what they mean by that - still under discussion or tender cancelled due to single bidder (Arqiva?) and/or cost too high?

To be fair it was not clear cut. After about a dozen qns they did not really want to broach the subject. Sort of a no news, nothing decided answer mumbled.

I kept getting stock answers to any qns I asked from Saorview Brian, stock answers for ANY qns, like a politician, mention the word Saorsat and he starts quoting from website..... as opposed to answering the qn asked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

iqon66 wrote: »
    It says freeview can be received from brougher mountain,I live on the donegal,fermanagh border,Anyone else have this problem?

The current Freeview signal from Brougher is only a small fraction of the analogue power. Try again after switchover & you should have more luck.

To be fair it was not clear cut. After about a dozen qns they did not really want to broach the subject. Sort of a no news, nothing decided answer mumbled.

Maybe we should ask Sam :D

The first on screen messages telling us DSO will start in October have now appeared on BBC1 and BBC2.

It's getting close !

The DSO leaflet package from the BBC dropped through my door this morning.

Lots of info. for the non anorak, including offers of a Freeview HD box for £40. Hope it's not the Technisat !

The DSO leaflet package from the BBC dropped through my door this morning.

Lots of info. for the non anorak, including offers of a Freeview HD box for £40. Hope it's not the Technisat !

Would it be possble to scan the leaflet and upload here?

Would it be possble to scan the leaflet and upload here?

More of a booklet with 26 pages, Cush and an accompanying questionnaire.

On closer inspection, the photo of the HD box looks very like a Humax.

I'll scan that page and attempt to upload it later.

Photo of the pop-up MHEG caption yesterday evening on BBC1 NI... (yeah, the camera on my mobile isn't great)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

lawhec wrote: »
    Photo of the pop-up MHEG caption yesterday evening on BBC1 NI... (yeah, the camera on my mobile isn't great)

Asking you to press button's, that can't be analogue. Are the messages on Freeview NI and if so then why?

This would be counterproductive, worrying people who are not going to have problems. What happens when you press the button?

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Asking you to press button's, that can't be analogue. Are the messages on Freeview NI and if so then why?

This would be counterproductive, worrying people who are not going to have problems. What happens when you press the button?
    Yes, they're on Freeview. Current viewers will still have to retune twice, first on 10/10 and on 24/10.

Pressing the blue button takes you to a page on BBC Red Button advising you of the process and manufacturer helplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Bit of a nonsense really...........surely they should only be on analogue. RTÉ have said that their announcements will only be on analogue.

Bit of a nonsense really...........surely they should only be on analogue. RTÉ have said that their announcements will only be on analogue.
    Majority of Saorview viewers won't need to retune other than those served by Mt. Leinster, Holywell Hill and Clermont Carn. OTOH all Freeview viewers will have to retune, lest given warning in case they wonder why they can't watch BBC1 on 10th October via Freeview, or Dave on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Don't undertstand the logic behind asking people to retune on DTT at the moment - and if you follow the instructions that's what it is basically saying. Sure later in the year, but it's a bit daft having a pop up at the moment. I know a few people who saw it when it appeared last week and having retuned, ended up with the RTE NL Muxes displacing all their UK channels into the 800's !

SRB wrote: »
    Don't undertstand the logic behind asking people to retune on DTT at the moment - and if you follow the instructions that's what it is basically saying. Sure later in the year, but it's a bit daft having a pop up at the moment. I know a few people who saw it when it appeared last week and having retuned, ended up with the RTE NL Muxes displacing all their UK channels into the 800's !

That was silly of them !

Some work going on this week as all analogue radio services on both Divis and Carnmoney Hill were off air for a few hours yesterday and Wednesday. Strangely, Radio Ulster from Carnmoney Hill was relaying Radio Scotland on both occasions.

No doubt connected with the DSO.

SRB wrote: »
    Disagree - the follow-on from pressing the blue button only gives a guide on how to retune your DTT receiver with manufacturer helpline numbers and a number to phone Digital UK for help. At no time does it say that you have to retune now.

IIRC pressing the blue button takes you to BBC Red Button on Freeview Page 9991.

At no time does it say that you have to retune now

Yep, you're right. If I remember correctly, all it did was give you information on how to tune the STBs.

I don't think they can put this kind of message on analogue, unless there's some way of doing it through Ceefax.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

A letter came in for my dad who is blind got the booklet for the DSO.

It's gone very quiet on the proposed NI RTE mini mux.

I thought we would have had some sort of announcement by now and news of technical details etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

lawhec wrote: »
    Disagree - the follow-on from pressing the blue button only gives a guide on how to retune your DTT receiver with manufacturer helpline numbers and a number to phone Digital UK for help. At no time does it say that you have to retune now.

IIRC pressing the blue button takes you to BBC Red Button on Freeview Page 9991.

Well, yes, but I'd argue that when a never seen before box suddenly pops up saying "To find out more press BLUE" and this then takes them to a "how to retune" section, people who've never gone near the retune menu, will tend to follow the instructions - my 70 year old neighbour being one of them.

Advertisement