Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Yep, you're right. If I remember correctly, all it did was give you information on how to tune the STBs.

I don't think they can put this kind of message on analogue, unless there's some way of doing it through Ceefax.

The on screen messages on analogue are added at the main transmitter sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Scan of a booklet

more pages

more still

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Souriau wrote: »
    more still

Many thanks for all the links. i notice it says maybe a second aerial required for RTE1/2 and TG4. I wonder does this refer to mini-mux or Saorview service? I presume the mini-mux will be in same group of channels from Belfast as Freeview channels so for most people who get Freeview from Divis no change of aerial required but I guess for those in Belfast receiving from e.g.Carnmoney relay at present another aerial may be needed to receive mini-mux. Anyone any ideas on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Many thanks for all the links. i notice it says maybe a second aerial required for RTE1/2 and TG4. I wonder does this refer to mini-mux or Saorview service? I presume the mini-mux will be in same group of channels from Belfast as Freeview channels so for most people who get Freeview from Divis no change of aerial required but I guess for those in Belfast receiving from e.g.Carnmoney relay at present another aerial may be needed to receive mini-mux. Anyone any ideas on this?

The second aerial I would presume would be for Saorview reception in most cases.

The current rumoured allocations for MinMux is E30 for Brougher Mountain and an SFN on E48 at Black Mountain and Carnmoney Hill - but nothing has yet been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lawhec wrote: »
    The second aerial I would presume would be for Saorview reception in most cases.

The current rumoured allocations for MinMux is E30 for Brougher Mountain and an SFN on E48 at Black Mountain and Carnmoney Hill - but nothing has yet been confirmed.

This would mean those with Group A aerials for Divis at present would need wideband for mini-mux although they need wideband for one of the Freeview multiplexes at present.

This would mean those with Group A aerials for Divis at present would need wideband for mini-mux although they need wideband for one of the Freeview multiplexes at present.
    The only Group A frequency that appears to be available to Divis/Black Mountain would be E30 - with a limited ERP of 1-2kW ERP there would probably be just enough to use the same frequency as Brougher Mountain without much interference between the two service areas, but of course that leaves Carnmoney out of place if an SFN was applied. And it would also be subject to co-channel interference from Caldbeck in many places. E48 may be out-of-band, but would likely be able to give more coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭egal

I was hoping that channel 30 would be left clear for reception of Saorview from Holywell Hill after October 24. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

The current rumoured allocations for MinMux is E30 for Brougher Mountain and an SFN on E48 at Black Mountain and Carnmoney Hill - but nothing has yet been confirmed

There could be a problem in this area with any diplexed wideband aerials horizontally polarized for Divis and group CD for Clermont Carn, although I think Carnmoney Hill should swamp Black Mountain.

• Advertisement

My mum who is over 90-year-old and she received this booklet, different from what my dad received, different price
    DSO NI 5-6 is for my mum
    DSO NI 05-06 is for my dad,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crono

lawhec wrote: »

The second aerial may be required to receive Black Mountain (RTE mini-mux) as its not on the same directional bearing as Divis (Freeview) for many homes in the Belfast area. And of course the mini-mux transmission may be vertically polarized.

took pics of the onscreen message of how to re-tune in October Switchover

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

Been tuning anaglous tv got pick up 4 Irish channel and bad picture from utv near atherney look like signal come from lougrea or portumna delfexer ? Anyone confirm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Start your own thread about "deflectors".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Souriau wrote: »

Press Release from the DCMS
    Access to Republic of Ireland Digital TV channels confirmed for Northern Ireland
    052/12
    29 May 2012

TV viewers in Northern Ireland will be able to watch TG4 and RTÉ One and Two on Freeview following digital TV switchover, the UK Government confirmed today.

RTÉ, the Republic of Ireland’s national broadcaster, and Irish language broadcaster TG4 have joined forces to form a not-for-profit venture which will be responsible for the installation of the new infrastructure. Freeview delivery of these channels will be supplemented by overspill coverage from Saorview, the equivalent of Freeview in the Republic of Ireland.

Communications Minister Ed Vaizey said:

“I’m delighted that the digital future for TG4, RTÉ One and RTÉ Two in Northern Ireland is now strengthened and secure. Today’s announcement is good news for viewers and continues our delivery on commitments set out in the Good Friday agreement.”

Speaking in Dublin, Minister for Communications, Energy & Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte, said:

“This announcement means that from Analogue Switch-off on 24 October, over 90% of viewers in Northern Ireland will be able to receive TG4 and the two primary RTÉ channels in digital on the Freeview service or by way of the overspill from the Saorview service. It is a hugely positive result in terms of practical cooperation resulting from the Good Friday Agreement.”

To ensure the new Freeview service covers as much of the population as possible, the new service will use the modern MPEG4 and DVB-T2 standards which can be received on Freeview HD equipment. Many of the TV sets, set top boxes and digital recorders currently on sale in the UK already meet these requirements, and more information will be made available to the public by Digital UK and broadcasters well in advance of the launch of the service.

Digital switchover completes in Northern Ireland on 24th October 2012. It is intended that the new multiplex will be launched at the same time. Switchover co-ordination body Digital UK and the Digital Switchover Help Scheme will lead on public communications on the availability of these new services. Both the UK and Irish Governments are committed to providing all possible support to meet the challenging timetable.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/media_releases/9107.aspx

Updated information from DigitalUK, information regarding coverage will be available on the postcode checker from Thursday
    Receiving TG4 and RTÉ channels in Northern Ireland

The UK and the Republic of Ireland Governments have confirmed their intention to make TG4 available on Freeview to much of Northern Ireland, and to facilitate the provision of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two. See here for more information.

Following the final stage of switchover on 24 October, most people in Northern Ireland will be able to get these channels via an aerial through either Freeview or Saorview - the Republic of Ireland digital TV service. Viewers can check the Freeview channels predicted to be available at their address by typing their postcode into our coverage checker (coverage of TG4, RTÉ One and RTÉ Two will be shown from Thursday, 31 May).

Freeview HD equipment will be required to watch these channels on Freeview. Digital UK recommends seeking advice from a good local retailer about the channels you want and the different equipment options.

The Republic of Ireland is also switching
    The Republic of Ireland Freeview service, Saorview, will be extended to people who cannot currently receive it. The Republic will switch to digital in a single stage on 24 October 2012. Visit www.goingdigital.ie for more information.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland/northern_ireland_info

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

The postcode checker will finally reveal the frequencies: that will be interesting because of the CCI issues in Antrim and Down with the UK mainland transmitters in Scotland, IOM and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

I suppose it is too much to hope that this will cut both ways and we will see some freeview channels on saorview. I presume Rabbitt and whatever civil servants were negotiating this were too worried about being good little boys under the good friday agreement to look for something in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

touts wrote: »
    I suppose it is too much to hope that this will cut both ways and we will see some freeview channels on saorview. I presume Rabbitt and whatever civil servants were negotiating this were too worried about being good little boys under the good friday agreement to look for something in return.

An MoU between the 2 governements in Feb 2010 allows for the PSB channels to be transmitted in each others jurisdiction, but the problem is who would pay the distribution and transmission costs for the UK channels on Saorview? No doubt space would be found to carry the UK channels but the BBC aren't interested in providing their channels on Saorview it appears. Maybe on a future pay-DTT service.
    The memorandum of understanding also provides for the carriage of TG4 on Northern Ireland’s DTT platform and facilitates the possibility of RTE being transmitted over DTT in the North and for the BBC to be carried in the South. While many viewers in Ireland and Northern Ireland watch the other country’s free-to-air TV channels through overspill, perhaps most significantly the memorandum of understanding allows the possibility of broadcasting RTE on an all-island basis for the first time in the history of the State. While the BBC has not engaged in the process for the delivery of free-to-air BBC services throughout Ireland and has no legislative remit to offer service to the island of Ireland, I am happy to report that both RTE and TG4 are fully engaged in the process we have set out.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/2011/01/13/00009.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Even as a regular user of Boards, the sheer pointlessness of some posts continues to amaze!

On what basis, exactly, would be they ask for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

No, that would make it easier for people to watch UK services which would harm RTE and TV3's advertising income.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Even as a regular user of Boards, the sheer pointlessness of some posts continues to amaze!

On what basis, exactly, would be they ask for this?

As a regular user of Boards the sheer rudeness of some individuals continues to amaze. Just because you are an expert does not mean everyone is as up to speed as you. It is no wonder people are afraid to come on Boards with responses like that to reasonable questions.

The Cush wrote: »
    An MoU between the 2 governements in Feb 2010 allows for the PSB channels to be transmitted in each others jurisdiction, but the problem is who would pay the distribution and transmission costs for the UK channels on Saorview? No doubt space would be found to carry the UK channels but the BBC aren't interested in providing their channels on Saorview it appears. Maybe on a future pay-DTT service.

Thanks for giving a detailed answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Thanks for giving a detailed answer.

bbctv channels of 1, 2, 3, 4 should be on saorview

utv can't because its similar to tv3 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Just because you are an expert does not mean everyone is as up to speed as you. It is no wonder people are afraid to come on Boards with responses like that to reasonable questions.

Your use of phraseology like "I presume Rabbitt and whatever civil servants were negotiating this were too worried about being good little boys under the good friday agreement to look for something in return" suggests an agenda other simple information gathering. An information request would have been couched in straightforward terms such as "is there scope for UK channels to be shown on Saorview?".

As a regular user of Boards the sheer rudeness of some individuals continues to amaze. Just because you are an expert does not mean everyone is as up to speed as you. It is no wonder people are afraid to come on Boards with responses like that to reasonable questions.
    The issue of the MoU concerning transmissions of primary UK PSB channels on the Saorview network has nothing to do with the issue of DSO in Northern Ireland - the fact that a mini RTÉ/TG4 mux network is now being put in place for some viewers in Northern Ireland post-DSO reflects the different circumstances and resources between the two jurisdictions.

And other than the BBC (whom because of its charter would almost certainly not be able to freely transmit on terrestrial transmitters outside the UK, so the question then is "Who pays?") there is nothing to stop any other broadcaster currently on the Freeview platform in the UK from at least approaching with an expression of interest to becoming available on Saorview (provided they have programming rights to cover for viewers in the Republic).

ardmacha wrote: »
    Your use of phraseology like "I presume Rabbitt and whatever civil servants were negotiating this were too worried about being good little boys under the good friday agreement to look for something in return" suggests an agenda other simple information gathering. An information request would have been couched in straightforward terms such as "is there scope for UK channels to be shown on Saorview?".

My lack of faith in our Ministers and their civil servants is justified by years of bad decisions made in the best interests of a few in their immediate circle rather than the population in general. The posts about the MOU helped shed some light on the background even though I still think it could have been pushed a bit further in the negotiations.

The Cush wrote: »

If the BBC aren't willing to pay to have their service in the Republic who is paying to have RTE in Northern Ireland. I assume we won't be getting licence fees from the North. Surely if the Republic TV licence payer will now be funding some of the TV services in the UK there should be some mutual agreement to return the favour. Lots of people in the republic would welcome the BBC without the need for monthly sky or significantly more expensive boxes, equipment and installation for freesat. People in apartments for example often cannot put up dishes so their choice is expensive pay TV services or saorsat. An expanded saorsat with some UK channels would be of great benefit to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

If the BBC aren't willing to pay to have their service in the Republic who is paying to have RTE in Northern Ireland.
    RTE carries advertising, so it's worth their while being on three transmitters in NI.
    Lots of people in the republic would welcome the BBC without the need for monthly sky
    All the BBC and ITV channels are available free on satellite and have been for years.

Advertisement