Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

They are NOT transmitting "channel" data so there is no "channels" for the TV to lock on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

This is what TSReader capture last night when I checked it
    The link below is of a similar one that Mux 2 did last May.
    There must be something going on...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/234097/160825.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    From various sites:

Divis Transmitter works 8 February 2012
    Quote:
    Engineering transmitter work will take place between 00:01hrs and 06:00hrs.
    TV services that will be disrupted:

Analogue services - BBC2, UTV and Channel 4 will be subject to periods of shutdown.

Digital services - Mux1, MuxA and MuxB will be subject to periods of shutdown.
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_...ineering_works

Note the analogue frequencies are being shut down tonight probably as part of a standard Arqiva high power test: LCNs are not transmitted during the tests. The only way to assess the strength of the signal is to perform manual tuning. The frequencies to use are 21, 24 and 27 IIRC. These receivers will show signal strength and quality depending on receiver software: very interesting for RoI viewers who are also nightowls!These will be the post DSO PSB frequencies. These tests are likely to go on for months exactly as in GB.

The giveaway is the shutdown of the analogue services tonight: the high power tests will be transmitted from Divis B, the new mast.

(my emphasis)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I am in north Meath and have an aerial pointed at Divis for analogue. Last night I tried manually tuning in 21, 24(DVB-T2 so wasn't expecting anything) and 27 using a Philips 32PFL8404 that is receiving Saorview from Clermont Carn.

The TV seemed to hover over scanning both 21 and 27 for example when you scan a known frequency with no digital signal the set instantly says "No Channels Found". However it was scanning 21 and 27 for several minutes but was not able to find any channels.

Are the channels being broadcast during these tests and does this sound like a poor signal issue?

The channels that were off air were giving a signal strength of 100% without retuning (normally between 60-70%) on my Toshiba. OtherTV's/STBs showed nothing. I also did a manual tune on channel 21 and had a signal of 100%.

It looks good and certainly something to look forward to on the 24th October.

As I was saying, 23 is also better today (no freezing) so I wonder if anything has been moved ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Souriau wrote: »
    There must be something going on...

Like what? Tests of transmission equipment? I don't see the attraction at all tbh, I don't know what you think you're going to "discover" by monitoring this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

LCNs are not transmitted during the tests. The only way to assess the strength of the signal is to perform manual tuning.

I did what I thought was manual tuning i.e. I inputted each frequency individually and searched. Is this not what you mean?

If as Gerry says they are not transmitting channel data in these tests will the ever run full live tests before switchover? Have they run full tests on any of the UK transmitters before they switched?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Like what? Tests of transmission equipment? I don't see the attraction at all tbh, I don't know what you think you're going to "discover" by monitoring this stuff.

Its of great importance to those of us in the north midlands area who currently receive their television via aerials from Divis and Brougher Mountains.

This is the very first idication of how far the full powered digital signal will travel post ASO and users who have gone to the trouble to record and share this data are to be commended and thanked rather than criticized

The possibility of my elderly relatives being able to continue watching their channels without the need for combo satellite boxes, FTA systems extra remotes etc is of huge importance.

Its of great importance to those of us in the north midlands area who currently receive their television via aerials from Divis and Brougher Mountains.

This is the very first idication of how far the full powered digital signal will travel post ASO and users who have gone to the trouble to record and share this data are to be commended and thanked rather than critisicised.

The possibility of my elderly relatives being able to continue watching their channels without the need for combo satellite boxes, FTA systems extra remotes etc is of huge importance.

This is exactly why I am interested. I would like to have an idea of what equipment will be needed come October. I also agree with encouraging users to post whatever information they think is useful.

I did what I thought was manual tuning i.e. I inputted each frequency individually and searched. Is this not what you mean?

On my Toshiba I went to installation>add channels>manual tune> and then entered channel 21. A signal of 100% appeared on the TV's signal strength meter, which I assume was the test from Divis.

I suppose each TV/STB box has a different method.

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    On my Toshiba I went to installation>add channels>manual tune> and then entered channel 21. A signal of 100% appeared on the TV's signal strength meter, which I assume was the test from Divis.

I suppose each TV/STB box has a different method.

It is similar on the Philips: Installation>Channel installation>Digital: reception test> then enter the frequency.

However unlike you I got no signal report. Can I ask where you are located?

• Advertisement

This is exactly why I am interested. I would like to have an idea of what equipment will be needed come October. I also agree with encouraging users to post whatever information they think is useful.

Simply an 8k mode compatible Freeview STB/TV in order to receive Freeview SD transmissions.

A Freeview HD STB/TV to receive Freeview SD/HD, the NI RTE mini mux, and Saorview (with the odd exception for Saorview e.g. the new Technisat).

Can I ask where you are located?

Jordanstown Co. Antrim.

Currently, Freeview reception is good 98% of the time, but not perfect.

I've a wideband aerial for Freeview from Divis which is diplexed with a group CD for Clermont Cairn.

Simply an 8k mode compatible Freeview STB/TV in order to receive Freeview SD transmissions.

A Freeview HD STB/TV to receive Freeview SD/HD, the NI RTE mini mux, and Saorview (with the odd exception for Saorview e.g. the new Technisat).

Sorry you misunderstood me. I meant I would like to know in advance if my existing aerial set up would be sufficient. This is my preferred method. If not I would have to consider using a mixture of Saorview and Freesat equipment.

It is similar on the Philips: Installation>Channel installation>Digital: reception test> then enter the frequency.

However unlike you I got no signal report. Can I ask where you are located?

My Philips TV didn't give anything either, nor did my humax PVR.

My Philips TV didn't give anything either, nor did my humax PVR.

That is encouraging I suppose. Perhaps it is a software issue in how the Philips deals with unrecognised transmissions.

Sorry you misunderstood me. I meant I would like to know in advance if my existing aerial set up would be sufficient. This is my preferred method. If not I would have to consider using a mixture of Saorview and Freesat equipment.

It all depends where you're located of course. I'd imagine a lot of areas that can't get Divis/Brougher/Limavady at the moment will be fine post DSO.

It all depends where you're located of course. I'd imagine a lot of areas that can't get Divis/Brougher/Limavady at the moment will be fine post DSO.

Hopefully. I get analogue from Divis but the picture quality is pretty poor. The teletext is also garbled most of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Is there something up with Brougher analogue atm, or would these tests be hitting adjacent channels?

I only have a weak signal from an aerial pointing the wrong way (towards Divis), but there's definitely something interfering with UTV on channel 25 & BBC2 (ch. 28) to a lesser extent.
    Channel 25 is just snow on the screen (somewhat dark, on my tv anyway) with appropriate sound effects i.e. there still seems to be an analogue signal there being interfered with.

I don't currently have any DVB-T equipment. :(

Hopefully. I get analogue from Divis but the picture quality is pretty poor. The teletext is also garbled most of the time.

What's your location Adriel Grumpy Furnace ?

I'm also getting a reasonable signal from Cambrett Hill in Soutwest Scotland, and that was a bit snowy pre DSO, although I've a fairly large aerial. Pity it's Freeview Lite.

It's on a seperate downlead at the moment although I've often wondered what the effect would be if I triplexed it with Divis and Clermont Cairn.

I could have problems with channel 30 (which may be used for lacal TV here) and Freeview HD from Caldbeck (which also comes in from time to time on the same channel).

I did have them all triplexed at one stage when everything was analogue.

Similar effect this morning re. the high power tests. BBC 1 and BBC 2 end stopping with the Toshiba's built in signal meter. No need to do a manual tune. Normally between 60 and 70%.

Can't wait until 24th October.

By the way, quite a lot of problems with the Hannington switchover in Berkshire and North Hampshire if you read the posts on UK Free. People losing signals, strong signal problems, etc. etc. etc. Argos even ran out of Freeview boxes apparantly.

October could be a real nightmare here especially for the trade, if this isn't done properly.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    . . . I only have a weak signal from an aerial pointing the wrong way (towards Divis)

Probably answered my own question with this, I suppose if there's enough discrepancy in adjacent signal levels the weaker one will just go under.

• Advertisement

Brougher was back to the way it usually is this morning, strange thing was that C4 on UHF 32 seemed to be affected as well.

What's your location navi ?

I am in North Meath. According to Google Earth I am 68 miles from the Divis transmitter.

I am in North Meath. According to Google Earth I am 68 miles from the Divis transmitter.

You might be fine post DSO Adriel Grumpy Furnace.

I'd also have a go at Brougher as well.

A lot depends on the local topography of course. My parents are closer to Clermont Cairn than I am, but reception is impossible at their location due to the Caslereagh Hills behind them. Half a mile up the road, and Clermont Cairn is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tvman2

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    They didn't wait long:

The Divis Transmitter works 9 February 2012
    Engineering transmitter work will take place between 00:01hrs and 06:00hrs.
    TV services that will be disrupted:
    Analogue services - BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 will be subject to periods of shutdown.
    Digital services - Mux1, MuxA and MuxB will be subject to periods of shutdown.

Last night (Wed) when analogue went off air I checked for test signals by manually tuning Freeview on Panasonic tv - got 100% signal strength on channels 27 and 29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Tried last night myself, no sign of anything from Divis on either an indoor aerial or from an outdoor aerial pointed to Brougher. Not sure at this stage if that's a good or bad thing in terms of the planned co-channel interference post-DSO, will be interesting if and when they test Divis and Brougher at the same time.

According to Google Earth I am 68 miles from the Divis transmitter

P.S. I must be a fair distance from Cambrett Hill (at least 50 miles) and that's coming in OK, at only 2.8 kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The DigitalUK NI switchover leaflet is now available in Irish and Ulster Scots in addition to the English language one published last Oct

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

Are these tests finished with or will they be happening again some time this week? I missed the chance to test my aerial for C27 and C29 although I am getting the majority of channels on Freeview as it is from Divis, just C33 is very prone to interference and it can only be picked up on one TV with a good picture, the others won't lock on to it.

The Cush wrote: »
    The DigitalUK NI switchover leaflet is now available in Irish and Ulster Scots in addition to the English language one published last Oct

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/northernireland

Can't understand either.

• Advertisement

Paddy C wrote: »
    Are these tests finished with or will they be happening again some time this week? I missed the chance to test my aerial for C27 and C29 although I am getting the majority of channels on Freeview as it is from Divis, just C33 is very prone to interference and it can only be picked up on one TV with a good picture, the others won't lock on to it.

I would imagine they should continue right up until DSO Paddy.

I've never had a problem with channel 33 here.

23 has always been my weak one. It's been much better since the tests last week.

Advertisement