Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Endings [ABC]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A few funny bits in the first half, but really picked up in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

kinda like Community....but better :)

EDIT: Only started watching this show about two weeks ago, it is pretty good, but it tries a little hard sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I thought it was just as good as any other episodes.
    The Brad and Jane stuff was great, as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Dave: This isnt working.
    Alex: Really? Seems like it's working.

Couldnt stop laughing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

The Brad and Jane stuff was great, as per usual.

I love how in practically every episode there's not at all disguised innuendo between the two of them.

"I have been coming so hard... home from work just cuz I'm excited to have dinner with you"

• Advertisement

Started watching this tonight and really enjoying it. There's some good laughs and the concept is novel and after 2 episodes I can see it growing into something special. After tearing through 3 seasons of the League in just over 2 days I'm hoping that this will kill the time between now and Community returning but sadly I fear it's too good not to catch up with asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Started watching this tonight and really enjoying it. There's some good laughs and the concept is novel and after 2 episodes I can see it growing into something special.
    If you're enjoying the first season, you're gonna absolutely love the second!

The show really comes into it's own..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Dave: This isnt working.
    Alex: Really? Seems like it's working.
    The return to this relationship could be the worst thing the show runners ever do. The scenes between the two of them can be painfully cringey if you ask me.

Everything else can be great at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Show is a tittle grower, little culty, little UTR....kinda like Community....but better :)

Happy Endings can be very funny and smart but it's no where near the genius that is Community.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The return to this relationship could be the worst thing the show runners ever do. The scenes between the two of them can be painfully cringey if you ask me.

Everything else can be great at times.

To be fair, they kind of had to get back together at some point. It might not last long, but they had to give it another shot. Dave and Penny is the only other maybe but I dont see that happening any time soon. Penny is great without a steady boyfriend.

I do think they did it too quickly though. They should have continued with the friends with benefits thing for another while.

• Advertisement

To be fair, they kind of had to get back together at some point. It might not last long, but they had to give it another shot. Dave and Penny is the only other maybe but I dont see that happening any time soon. Penny is great without a steady boyfriend.

I do think they did it too quickly though. They should have continued with the friends with benefits thing for another while.
    Yeah, I understood why they did it but I just feel the dynamic between the 2 characters/actors isn't anywhere near strong enough to carry large portions of the show. Their scenes are in a different league to Penny/Max and Jane/Brad scenes and are only going to become more prominent if this storyline continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

The second episode is out, I loved it, every bit of the Brad/Max scenes were great as usual, the two of them work so well together.

Working through series one and really enjoying the show. It's the definition of a grower. It started off as a pretty decent of generic comedy but has grown into a really strong show with good laughs, a fantastic cast who have real chemistry and storylines that are both fun and slightly original. Max is the star of the show and it's refreshing to see a gay character in a sitcom who is more than just a combination of somewhat offensive stereotypes. Him and Damon Wayans Jr. have great chemistry and really steal every scene they have together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I'm surprised that some people are actually taking the storylines and the relationships between characters seriously. This is not a criticism, I simply watch the show in a different way.
    For me the strength of the show is that the interplay between characters is just a vehicle for the jokes. You don't have to actually care about them, the show never pretends to be taking itself seriously in terms of emotions and relationships and motivations. Of course in the real world Alex and Dave getting back together again is idiocy, but that is irrelevant. The whole thing is played for laughs, and that's enough.

Working through series one and really enjoying the show. It's the definition of a grower. It started off as a pretty decent of generic comedy but has grown into a really strong show with good laughs, a fantastic cast who have real chemistry and storylines that are both fun and slightly original. Max is the star of the show and it's refreshing to see a gay character in a sitcom who is more than just a combination of somewhat offensive stereotypes. Him and Damon Wayans Jr. have great chemistry and really steal every scene they have together.

Max certainly starts as the star but it soon starts to even out with Elisha Cubert in particular improving. I think it has to do with the writing more than anything else imo though.

It has the finest comedic cast on TV..

.. not a weak link in there.

Even trumps Community in that respect IMO.. was never a fan of Chevy Chase or Yvette Nicole Brown.

fisgon wrote: »
    I'm surprised that some people are actually taking the storylines and the relationships between characters seriously. This is not a criticism, I simply watch the show in a different way.
    For me the strength of the show is that the interplay between characters is just a vehicle for the jokes. You don't have to actually care about them, the show never pretends to be taking itself seriously in terms of emotions and relationships and motivations. Of course in the real world Alex and Dave getting back together again is idiocy, but that is irrelevant. The whole thing is played for laughs, and that's enough.
    Well my point isn't that their getting back together is a bad idea in terms of plot development/characterisation.

It's bad idea in terms of the interplay between those 2 characters in isolation doesn't work as well as every other combination within the show. And they're consciously choosing to go further down that direction.

Loved this scene in the most recent episode! :D

Penny is ah-maz-ing!

Worked my way through season 2 over the past day and it really has grown into one of the best shows on TV. The ensemble cast is brilliant and everyone of them has their own moments every episode though Max is still the standout star, he really is a great character. I really do like the fact that he's a gay character whose sexuality isn't exaggerated for cheap laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

As much as I agree that Max is fantastic, I think every single one of the cast are exceptional, although Brad (Damon Wayans Jr) and Alex (Elisha Cuthbert) would be the standouts for me...

• Advertisement

Another very good episode this week, this is now the sitcom I look forward to most every week.

The scenes between Dave and Alex were actually my favourite for a change with some great lines between them.

Ill spoiler them for a few days.
    (Paraphrasing a little here)
    Dave:"There is a terrifying amount of condoms in here"
    Alex:"There for your penis"

Dave:"We can go to my Nanna's"
    Alex:"There is nothing sexy about your Nanna"
    Dave:"She does alright"

Max as a "Bar Mitzvah Hype Guy" was hilarious..

"Please join me in welcoming to the stage… He entered a boy but will be leaving... Entered a boy doesn't sound great.. He came in a… Still not great!"

:D

Yeah I loved that one too, I knew someone would end up quoting it.

Sometimes I miss references they make or I don't find a joke particularly funny but the dialogue is so quick paced and full of great jokes and one liners that there will a laugh or 2 just around the corner.

I loved the "Boyz II Menorah" name.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Very good Christmas episode this week - loved the Entourage "I am Queens Boulevard" quote from Jane at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I think this is a quality show, but I am surprised to see so many comparisons to Community on here. In my eyes they are very different types of comedy, with Community being a little bit OTT (in an awesome way). I love Happy Endings too, but I see it more as a comedy along the traditional lines... saying that, I have to say that I think Community is getting weaker and weaker, whilst Happy Endings is going from strength to strength. At the moment, Community is still slightly ahead in my books, but at this rate, it won't be long until Happy Endings surpasses it.

I can't be the only one wanting a Hip-Hop Santa after that last episode.

Davyhal wrote: »
    I have to say that I think Community is getting weaker and weaker, whilst Happy Endings is going from strength to strength. At the moment, Community is still slightly ahead in my books, but at this rate, it won't be long until Happy Endings surpasses it.
    I do kinda agree.. I think the last season of Community was very hit and miss.. but in saying that, it was more hit than miss.

Happy Endings was just been getting better and better!
    irish son wrote: »
    I can't be the only one wanting a Hip-Hop Santa after that last episode.
    Nope.. loved it!

tumblr_mfb18ozxvZ1qa8i4io1_500.gif

The letter opener being driven into Max's Egg Nog backpack was superb too..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A classic Christmas song has now been irreversibly changed for me:

Jurrasic Park, Jurassic Park, Newman Gets Killed Bad!

• Advertisement

Richard Dower has been banned? Now who will constantly tell us the shows we love will be cancelled?

On topic, am I the only one who thinks they seem to be breaking up Jane and Brad?

Advertisement