Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

is that Brek with Mary Byrne?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3Q4b7c4_Om7fhJK4A_hN9JYD0kRAOeG8l7jPhrp4HDK48J9rL2Q

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Brek running the marathon.. I hope she's sponsored by the Irish Heart Foundation, cos she's gonna need to borrow one of their defibrillators at some stage in the run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Brek running the marathon.. I hope she's sponsored by the Irish Heart Foundation, cos she's gonna need to borrow one of their defibrillators at some stage in the run

A Marathon is 42.2km, She is doing a 10km fun run.

Very unfair on proper Marathon Runners to describe the Bank Holiday event as a marathon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has the Eurovision been mentioned yet?

I have a virtual tenner riding on it with someone on the Liveline Joe thread.

But I had to switch off when Brek started speaking. I'm allergic to her.

Lapin wrote: »

It's all about Birds with Brain damage so far.

• Advertisement

Skid wrote: »

My ex girlfriends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

What value does she (Brek) bring to the show? She just chips in with inane comments, dopey laughs and pointless questions. Save your breath to cool your porridge, missus!

Mooney is giving this Golf Club rental man a serious free plug.

It's hardly a revolutionary idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Skid wrote: »

Got to be some Eurovision related tie-in somewhere in that!

Ruslana%20Eurovision%20Group.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Mooney asking the hard questions... to a used aircraft salesman.

WTF is this show.

• Advertisement

the tension was palpable, Lapin, but there was no mention of Eurovision.....so far

dvcireland wrote: »
    the tension was palpable, Lapin, but there was no mention of Eurovision.....so far
    16.19pm Eurovision mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

aw that little girl was so cute.. really nice voice as well...
    Sound like stage school a bit though.. :(

Mooney's money is worth listening back to

".....you've just won €2000....."

".....hello?....."

old_lady_phone150.jpg

dvcireland wrote: »
    16.19pm Eurovision mentioned

Too late for me to claim the tenner. :o

I actually like Derek Mooney and believe he deserves better than this daily dose of dumbed down tripe.

He is articulate and intellegent and well able to balance the light and the heavy with seamless movement from something as trivial as tits (of the blue variety) to tits (of the Peter Thatchell variety).

But the programme is increasingly becoming an extention of Louis Walsh and Harry Crosbie enterprises with some shameless arsé licking going on. Mooney himself is reduced to being little more than a weekday oracle announcing the latest antics from the Grimes brothers or the latest musical in the Grand Canal Theatre. RTÉ's own plugging of the Eurovision through the show is tame (and fair enough) by comparison.

Bad and all as that is, its the contributions by Brenda Donaghue that drag this programme into the realms of crass stupidity. Apart from the fact that this woman's accent grates the back of the neck in the same way as fingernails being scraped on a blackboard do, somebody must be made to explain why they think putting her on a ferris wheel for a couple of days, dressing up as a leprechaun or runing a mini marathon makes for good radio.

Its this kind of inane drivel that will ultimately tarnish Derek Mooney's own reputation. He will be judged as guilty by association with the muck that passes for entertainment on the programme that bears his name. As time goes on, that muck will stick to him despite being generated by others around him.

He should act now to salvage some of his own pride or risk being forever linked to the all knowing Richard Collins and the creepy crawling Eanna ní Lamhna and other hangers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I actually like Derek Mooney and believe he deserves better than this daily dose of dumbed down tripe.

Until I read the rest of that post I thought you were referring to the posters on this thread!

Derek Mooney clearly drives the agenda on the program, he generates most of the sh1te, including the Eurovision stuff (especially the Eurovision stuff) and wallows in it so stop feeling sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

europa11 wrote: »
    I agree she's exceptionally awful, irritating and rude to the point of distraction, however tbh, butting in and interrupting are part of the RTE "style", Mooney would be going against the grain there if he tried to rein her in.

Mary Wilson is perhaps the worst example, but listen to Morning Ireland, News at One, Maid Marion - especially when interviewing someone who doesn't conform to the herd mentality - or watch Prime Time for the visual experience of same. You wouldn't be long in forming the opinion that manners and Montrose don't mix very well.

Kudos to Pat Kenny who, imo, rarely if ever engages in the house style.

oh please PK is the worst of them anti catholic, self styled expert on everything and condesending. Frontline raise the issues but questions do not really get answered.

if Mooney was utter Shiite then even RTE would axe him. as others have pointed out he is polite with an easy going manner and not likely to offend anyone.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    oh please PK is the worst of them anti catholic, self styled expert on everything and condesending. Frontline raise the issues but questions do not really get answered.

if Mooney was utter Shiite then even RTE would axe him. as others have pointed out he is polite with an easy going manner and not likely to offend anyone.

Whatever about being "anti-Catholic" (tbh, why should he or anyone be "pro", isn't it bad enough that RTE still play the bells at 12 and 6 o'clock?), I'll grant you that the Plank is indeed condescending at times. As for expertise on subjects though, well that's hardly a crime.

I was just pointing out that he at least has a decent enough manner to let people finish their sentences before talking back to them, unlike Eanna, Mary W., Maid Marion, Miriam O'Callaghan and many, many others in RTE, who butt-in mid-sentence with regular abandon, that such ignorant behaviour is allowed to flourish amazes me.

And although I rarely listen to a full Mooney Show, having an aversion to all things Eurovision/Jedward/X-Factor,etc. related, not to mention Brek's bellowing, he has - albeit on all too rare occasions - done some very good interviews where he has shown himself to be not alone as competent and well-informed as his peers, but has also refrained from the rude interruption habits of the aforementioned presenters of other programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

europa11 wrote: »
    Whatever about being "anti-Catholic" (tbh, why should he or anyone be "pro", isn't it bad enough that RTE still play the bells at 12 and 6 o'clock?), I'll grant you that the Plank is indeed condescending at times. As for expertise on subjects though, well that's hardly a crime.

I was just pointing out that he at least has a decent enough manner to let people finish their sentences before talking back to them, unlike Eanna, Mary W., Maid Marion, Miriam O'Callaghan and many, many others in RTE, who butt-in mid-sentence with regular abandon, that such ignorant behaviour is allowed to flourish amazes me.

And although I rarely listen to a full Mooney Show, having an aversion to all things Eurovision/Jedward/X-Factor,etc. related, not to mention Brek's bellowing, he has - albeit on all too rare occasions - done some very good interviews where he has shown himself to be not alone as competent and well-informed as his peers, but has also refrained from the rude interruption habits of the aforementioned presenters of other programmes.

I would prefer a presenter on the national broadcaster to be neutral. i would not call him an expert, more someone who believes he is. Pat the plank does interrupt and I find him somewhat dismissive. he seems to talk more about sports than Des Cahill.
    he is also anti teacher and responsible for generating hate against us.

coylemj wrote: »
    Until I read the rest of that post I thought you were referring to the posters on this thread!

Derek Mooney clearly drives the agenda on the program, he generates most of the sh1te, including the Eurovision stuff (especially the Eurovision stuff) and wallows in it so stop feeling sorry for him.

I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. I simply think he is capable of a lot better. And if as you suggest he "drives the agenda on the programme, and generates most of the shíte" himself, then I would question the role of the producer on this programme.

If Mooney and Donoghue want to act the eejit dressing up as leprechauns and camping on ferris wheels, then by all means let them do so on RTÉ Junior.

Listeners to Ireland's flagship state owned station are entitled to better quality radio than this dumbed down horseshít.

The programme it replaced (Rattlebag) and its presenter may have been a bit high brow at times but overall it was well balanced and even at its most mundane, it managed to be more engaging than anything Brenda Donaghue ever covered.

Nobody expects highly stimulating intellectual radio during the mid afternoon slump. But that shouldn't mean an abandonment of quality in a race (against nobody else) to the bottom to accommodate the Louis Walsh production line instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nobody expects highly stimulating intellectual radio during the mid afternoon slump. But that shouldn't mean an abandonment of quality in a race (against nobody else) to the bottom to accommodate the Louis Walsh production line instead.

Agree with your post with the exception of that comment. Mooney is obsessed with the Eurovision but the incessant mention of it has nothing to do with Louis Walsh. He was using any excuse to bring up the topic of the Eurovision well before any clients of Lois Walsh were selected as the Irish entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

If Derek has read this thread, how does he sit there without laughing at the name Brek? Its the best name I've ever heard put on anyone. I laugh every time i see it. Why is she on the show though is what i cant figure out, Shes like a foghorn, but, as bad as she is, She's not half as bad as that Mayna wan Thats on on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:( its the in your face gay stuff that I object to. He is not beyond muttering clangers like asking Enya if her daughter was marrying a man or a woman.
    I wonder if he has a touch of ADHD as he will ask a question and then interrupt with some irrelevant musing just gleaned from wikipedia. I keep screaming 'just let him answer the f###ing question' !
    Anway I've found the perfect solution to restore my sanity. Its called the off button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

stellar work by Mooney this week. He gets two or three horse racing experts in, lets them yap away for a few minutes and tell Mooney what race is up next, then cuts to the live Race commentary for 10 minutes at a time. I know RTE broadcasters are notoriously lazy, but this turd has it down to a fine art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

stellar work by Mooney this week. He gets two or three horse racing experts in, lets them yap away for a few minutes and tell Mooney what race is up next, then cuts to the live Race commentary for 10 minutes at a time. I know RTE broadcasters are notoriously lazy, but this turd has it down to a fine art.
    I don't really think Mooney has a choice in the Cheltenham mania that sweeps Montrose every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

^^ i see an instant ban coming. More eurovision nonsense on today. Jedward and Englebert Dinkleberry. That Paul G fella sounds constipated, and Brek rambling on in the background. Mooney will get the boot soon if he carries on with this tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I take it there was no more updates on the "team mooney" and the marathon
    Stuff ? The piece were they had the three teams katriona(?) McFadden, brek, and someone called Jenny, I thought brek was actually going to have a banger in the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

MJ23 wrote: »
    ^^ i see an instant ban coming. More eurovision nonsense on today. Jedward and Englebert Dinkleberry. That Paul G fella sounds constipated, and Brek rambling on in the background. Mooney will get the boot soon if he carries on with this tripe.

not likely, prob get a raise :P

Just out of curiosity (honest :D ) I looked up the Eurovision site.

It's not actually on until the 26th of fckin' May :eek:

And Mooney has already gotten at least a month so far of programmes going on about little else. I can only imagine the frenzy he'll have gotten himself into over the next ten weeks (not to mention a very nice amount of dosh for talking about the same boring shlte). What value that Licence Fee can prove to be at times!

Also his Eurovision lackies are on constant call (and expenses one presumes) to update listeners about, among other gems, the "fantastic" Macedonian entry written by an unknown trannie goatherder or recalling a tune that just missed out to represent Andorra back in 2005 which sounded "remarkably" like the ad. for Toilet Duck. Cue "ooohs" and "aahhs" from Brek.

While I'm at it - he plays part of the Jedward thing (song, is it?) a number of times during his show - are royallties paid for this lark or do RTE hold the copyright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Today I did`nt tune over to something else after listening to liveline (in fairness he does have the odd item of interest other than gay issues, eurovision, Jedward, Louis Walsh, blue tits, robins nests, Eanna Ni LAAAWNINN and Richard "know it all" what ever his name is...i said sometimes!!), Mooney on but not listening so much to him as I was busy doing something - but the guy who was the euro song expert really made my ears bleed - and to think we have still 8 weeks to go :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement