Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Hi, I would just love to have this....

but there seems to be a problem with the download/install process.

Just how long should this take, I tried last night, and abandoned, as I was getting this constant animation showing "Downloading installation files"...pic below:

viber%20download.jpg

I deleted the setup.exe files from last night, and started a fresh install tonight again....same result......

looking at that popup telling me it's downloading installation files, for at least half an hour, last night I left it for much longer, but nada.....

I ran the setup file as Admin on my Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, Home Premium, SP1 Installed.

This is the setup file info pic, is it OK....also showing that downloading animation...is it d/l'ing anything, where can I check??

vibersetup.jpg

Is there a known problem with the download....I never had a problem with downloaded installation like this before.

Even as i write this, it's still showing that animation, with the progress bar getting to max every minute or so, and starting again, getting to max, and starting again, over, and over, and over...

just how big is this installation??

Update on this.......got it sorted....

If you have failed installations, it is best to delete all temporary download data from this location, see below....

I'm giving mine for Windows 7, so I don't know where it would be on other OS's....

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

I had a load of viber temp folders there, weird names, like "nst3E48.tmp"....

when I looked in them they had all installation files, but obviously one failed installation meant all subsequent attempts failed...

so I deleted all tmp files there, in that location, AppData Folder is not easy to get into, so use the above address, with your user name, in Windows Explorer.

You can make this folder show by doing the below...

What is Application Data Folder in Windows 7
    AppData or Application data is a hidden folder in Windows 7. It is to protect user data and settings from any unwanted change or deletion. It contains many important data such as program settings, IE cookies, toolbar settings, IE browsing history, temporary files created by applications, Libraries, send to items, templates and many more.

To access this folder you have to select “Show hidden files and folders” in the folder options.

You can check the article to know how you can access hidden files and folders in Windows.

show-hidden-files.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Has anyone updated to 3.1?

I'm not sure I like the new "Seen" status, considering I don't reply to messages immediately... it could upset some people that they did not get a reply right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Has anyone updated to 3.1?

I'm not sure I like the new "Seen" status, considering I don't reply to messages immediately... it could upset some people that they did not get a reply right away.

You can turn it off in the settings screen if you don't like sending them

2013-08-02%2012.26.54.png

Though it looks like if you do that, you can't receive seen statuses either...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

You can turn it off in the settings screen if you don't like sending them

2013-08-02%2012.26.54.png

Though it looks like if you do that, you can't receive seen statuses either...

Oh, thanks a lot maggy_thatcher!

You'd think, I'd look more carefully in the options...

cat-derp.jpg

I like that you cannot receive status messages or see people online if you have them off yourself. It helps prevent "status hiders".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

We wanted the option of enabling/disabling the "seen" status to be balanced, so that one would be able to see "seen" only if they allow other users to see their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi there, since last night iv reported a problem to viber. It is only one contact and messages and go to reply that viber crashes on me goes blank exits out with message 'unfortunately viber has stopped working' with report and ok option. I reported 5 times by now and not fixed. It had an update recently so could that caused it to crash?

Iv a samsung galaxy 2.

@doovdela -

Thanks for the report of the problem.
    Please specify:

1. Are you using the latest version (released yesterday) - 3.1.1.15?
    2. Has your contact also updated Viber? Does he experience the same problem with you?
    3. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? (note that this will unfortunately cause the deletion of all message history)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya was the latest one. I dont know if they have. They away at the moment. I dont want to delete messages some are urgent. Im trying to get another copy of said messages. When is next update? Its only one contact other contact/mesgs are fine.
    No they havent the same problem as me.

Thanks for your help.

doovdela wrote: »
    Ya was the latest one. I dont know if they have. They away at the moment. I dont want to delete messages some are urgent. Im trying to get another copy of said messages. When is next update? Its only one contact other contact/mesgs are fine.
    No they havent the same problem as me.

Thanks for your help.

You can make a copy of your messages by exporting them through Viber (you can find this option in More --> Settings).
    However, importing the messages back into Viber is currently not possible.

It is strange that the problem happens only with that one contact. It would be helpful to wait and see what happens when that contact updates to the latest Viber.

Meanwhile, we would appreciate if you could take a minute and report the details to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I noticed from you FAQ that whilst it is free for now only texts will be sometime in the future with the other services being charged for. Any idea when that would be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does Viber support VPN on Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Can you have two seperate viber accounts on the one phone? (i have a business number and a private number)

@kleefarr -

We plan to add premium services to Viber (and it won't be too long now till it's ready and available) that will cost, but the basic Viber service (the app itself, basic calls and texts, etc.) will always remain free and ad-free :)

@Atomic Pineapple -

Viber does not officially support VPN's. However, as long as the VPN does not block Viber's ports, traffic, etc. - then Viber should work normally on VPN's.

@IrishHomer -

Unfortunately at the moment only one account is "allowed" per one device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pereyra

@Viber, I would appreciate your assistance.

I am a new Viber user (win7/android) trying to ditch whatsapp mainly because I need txt on both mobile and desktop; the voice option is nice as well, provided it doesn't drain the battery too much.

Another important plus for me is that Viber doesn't prevent me from installing it on a wifi-only tablet (Nexus 7), moreover it works perfectly well on it (I am tired of having to patch whatsapp each time there's a new version and they force me to update the app). I _really_ hope Viber won't change this policy in the future.

What I am having an issue with is the desktop client. I generally use windows from under a non-admin account. To install Viber, I ran the ViberSetup.exe file (right-click and 'run as administrator'), the application downloaded whatever it needed to download and installed itself seemingly fine. I activated Viber without issues (a message with PIN was sent to my android device).

Now the issue is: if I choose to exit the application (and I'd like to be able to exit it every once in a while as opposed to having it always running in the background), there is no way for me to launch it again later — no icon is placed on the desktop, and I can't find Viber.exe through Windows search (I am guessing that's because the application was installed as admin). I logged off and switched to my admin account, and there it was — the icon was pinned to the taskbar for the admin.

I'm afraid that's not exactly how things are supposed to work. People only switch to admin to run one-off administrative tasks, while generally using their regular user account. Could you please comment on the issue? Perhaps I am missing something?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Edit: actually it's even worse than that — Viber doesn't autostart for me (non-admin) upon system reboot even though the option is ticked in Settings, and there's no way for me to start the application manually.

@pereyra -

Hi there. We're delighted to hear you're enjoying Viber :)

Generally, Viber should run using admin accounts (otherwise it may fail to run).
    The files you are looking for may be hidden (because you're using a different user). Here's the page with their location: http://viber.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/429/63/unable-to-locate-viber-desktop-installation-folders

It may still not work when you run a non-admin user. If it fails to work still, then we would appreciate if you could take a minute and report the details to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

* Regarding payment for Viber - we are working on additional premium services that will generate revenue once they become available, but the basic Viber service - Viber-to-Viber phone calls and text messages - will always remain free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pereyra

@Viber, thanks for your reply. I will report the details to your support team as you suggested.

But — you are basically saying that the developers of Viber expect the majority of Viber users on Windows to run their OS as administrators on a regular basis (which is a huge security issue), otherwise Viber won't work. This is strange.

@pereyra -

At the moment, due to technical reasons Viber must be installed and used on admin accounts only (if you'd like more precise information, you may ask for it from our Support Team at the ticket you opened to them).

Meanwhile, I can tell you that we are looking into this issue these days, trying to find solutions that will allow Viber Desktop to be run on non-admin accounts :)
    When we have news, I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Hi

I have a friend that uses Viber a lot (well used to on an older smartphone)

The now have a Huawei Ascend G510. There is a problem with this handset and I've seen a bit online about it. The receiving end can't can't hear the person who is calling but the caller can hear the receiver.

Seems that the only workaround is to install an older version of Viber. Is there anything else that can be done or is this being looked at?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I used to have viber. Unfortunately I had to delete it because it became annoying. For certain contacts if they text me normally (not through viber) it would come up on my phone and on viber, same thing if happened if they text through viber.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I used to have viber. Unfortunately I had to delete it because it became annoying. For certain contacts if they text me normally (not through viber) it would come up on my phone and on viber, same thing if happened if they text through viber.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I agree as the same happened to me and Viber is unreal slow at times.....head wrecking slow in fact! When you search for contacts it just chugs and chugs and chugs!?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How long is the pop up quick reply box supposed to stay on screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Here's a question: Who can see you on Viber? Is it anybody who has your phone number, even if you don't have theirs? Or is it a mutual thing (ie both users must have the other in their contact list)?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

It is a little bit different from regular cellular services, in the sense that people whom you don't know can presumably see your profile photo on Viber (and your users might not realise that), but I wasn't making a privacy issue out of it. I was just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

For the past week or so, when I'm sent a picture on Viber I cannot download it. I can see the small preview in the message but that's it. Any idea how to resolve? I've updated Viber but no change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

So, Viber was updated yesterday to allow support for Android tablets officially.

Does anyone know how this works? Fook all info on their website.
    Previously you could not have Viber active on 2 devices, because the latest one to be activated, would be the only one to recieve messages and so forth.

Does it work like the relationship between Viber and Viber desktop, which allows 2 sessions to be active at once?

Anyway, enough speculation, I'm about to install on my Nexus 7 and figure it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Since updating to latest latest version I keep getting a pop up every few minutes saying it couldn't download a voice message.

Really irritating as it stops videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Anyone else having problems with it today. I'm on 3 bill pay and Viber tells me I'm disconnected, so can't send or receive. Never had this issue before, all other connectivity working as expected.

Edit: Working again now, dunno why it had a hissy fit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Anyone on here try Viber Out?

I can make mobile calls no problem, but landline calls are poor for some reason. I can here the person I am calling but they either can't hear me or am way off in the background breaking up. If I call them back on their mobile using a Viber Out call there is no major issues. These are to Irish numbers, tested with both 3G and WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Call quality to landlines is still rubbish also my number is now showing as a UK number when I place a call to landlines. Very disappointing I have mailed support but they don't seem to interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishsid

Viber keeps taking over some text messages and its irritates the **** out of me. The only reason I have kept it so long is for my mom. I've taught her hangouts now, so goodbye viber! You won't be frustrating me, keeping my proximity sensor on or draining my battery anymore!
    Shove your stickers ;)

Advertisement