Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@Greenman -

Hi,
    We're thrilled to hear you're enjoying our service :)

Viber does not officially support Tablets yet, and so we can't fully guarantee that it would work on all Tablets.
    However, in the meantime you can still download Viber from PlayStore, or from the direct link in our official HelpDesk at http://bit.ly/rqbZEw . Try it out and we would be happy to receive your feedback on how it works on your device so we could improve Viber accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have a small question...

Why does Android version of Viber look like the iPhone version?

It'd be so awesome if Viber used the Android "Holo" UI guidelines.

@BopNiblets -
    Unfortunately this option is not available yet.
    We invite you to enter our Feature Request page and post your suggestion there, or join an existing similar suggestion. The more people join on a request, the faster it will become reality :)

You can find it here: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php/Knowledgebase/Article/View/43/9/have-an-idea-for-a-new-feature

@CyberGhost -
    We plan an interface makeover for our Android version some time in the future, but unfortunately we are still not sure when exactly this would happen.
    When we have news, we'll certainly let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Viber wrote: »
    @vibe666 -

Please make sure that Viber is the cause for the battery drain by isolating Viber (having no other apps running) on a device with stock ROM (custom ROMs may cause this problem).

We conduct strict testings in our labs with several devices and other than when making a call (when it is natural for the battery to be used), we did not come across any significant battery drain when Viber was simply running in the background. Furthermore, over the course of over 15 hours, on average the battery use was only 2%.

You can find additional information on tests performed by Viber users themselves, which show similar results, at:
    http://whrl.pl/Rc0APn
    i decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and re-installed viber yesterday evening.

all i did with it was register my number, turn on the notification to remind me that viber was running and exclude viber from application optimization. i didn't send or receive any viber calls or texts at all. from the time i installed it until just now.

with a htc one x i've learnt to become pretty frugal with my power usage so i was surprised to find myself getting low battery warnings this morning after charging the phone only yesterday evening.

lo and behold, just as i had previously stated, look what the culprit is.

draining so much battery that i wasn't able to charge the phone via usb on my laptop, even with nothing else going on on the phone and the screen off.

236410.jpg236411.jpg

so it's been uninstalled again now, just so i can educe my power usage enough to get a charge into the battery and i don't imagine i'll be re-installing it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

vibe666 wrote: »
    i decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and re-installed viber yesterday evening.

all i did with it was register my number, turn on the notification to remind me that viber was running and exclude viber from application optimization. i didn't send or receive any viber calls or texts at all. from the time i installed it until just now.

with a htc one x i've learnt to become pretty frugal with my power usage so i was surprised to find myself getting low battery warnings this morning after charging the phone only yesterday evening.

lo and behold, just as i had previously stated, look what the culprit is.

draining so much battery that i wasn't able to charge the phone via usb on my laptop, even with nothing else going on on the phone and the screen off.

236410.jpg236411.jpg

so it's been uninstalled again now, just so i can educe my power usage enough to get a charge into the battery and i don't imagine i'll be re-installing it any time soon.

WOW! Must keep an eye on this on my Galaxy Note II!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

madmoe wrote: »

WOW! Must keep an eye on this on my Galaxy Note II!

I find that it eats battery on my galaxy S2 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

stwome01 wrote: »

Weird, it barely makes a dent on my battery, rooted running stock 4.0.4, only annoyance is the constant reminders to update.

Please make sure that Viber is the cause for the battery drain by isolating Viber (having no other apps running) on a device with stock ROM (custom ROMs may cause this problem).

We conduct strict testings in our labs with several devices and other than when making a call (when it is natural for the battery to be used), we did not come across any significant battery drain when Viber was simply running in the background. Furthermore, over the course of over 15 hours, on average the battery use was only 2%.

You can find additional information on tests performed by Viber users themselves, which show similar results, at:
    http://whrl.pl/Rc0APn

* However, we will certainly make sure to keep minimizing the battery usage in our next versions, and we recommend that you test them once released. Meanwhile, we kindly ask that you take a minute and report the details of the problem to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

i think the bloody great big screenshot showing Viber as having used 29% of my battery overnight (mostly whilst i was sleeping) shows pretty conclusively that it is the cause of the battery drain.

aside from anything else, i only re-installed it the previous night (and only because of your repeatedly copy/pasted claim above) and have had no battery issues prior to that time and i've had no battery issues since un-installing it again, so it's pretty conclusively viber that is causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Viber released an update for their BlackBerry app which can be downloaded here:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/85455/

But even better news for BlackBerry customers is that VOIP calling on the app is coming in April! Hopefully they'll fully support bb10 when it launches very soon:

http://crackberry.com/viber-updates-v23-new-ui-and-emoticons-voip-calls-coming-april

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

whats up with group chat of people i never heard of popping up in my viber?

@vibe666 -

As we said, we will look into this issue, hopefully with the help of the details you'll provide our support team, and we hope that future updates will resolve the problem for you.

@finnharpsboy -

What exactly do you mean? Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

i think the bloody great big screenshot showing Viber as having used 29% of my battery overnight (mostly whilst i was sleeping) shows pretty conclusively that it is the cause of the battery drain.

aside from anything else, i only re-installed it the previous night (and only because of your repeatedly copy/pasted claim above) and have had no battery issues prior to that time and i've had no battery issues since un-installing it again, so it's pretty conclusively viber that is causing the issue.
    Just out of curiosity, what's that auto optimise notification I'm seeing? Looks like a task killer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

whats up with group chat of people i never heard of popping up in my viber?

same with me, someone, or somehow i was added to a group of people i never heard of. trying to delete them now.

Chinpool wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what's that auto optimise notification I'm seeing? Looks like a task killer
    "easy task killer" which has been great up until the last day or so when they've been pushing out a lot of ads. i've actually just uninstalled it because of that.

i did have viber and some other apps set up with exclusions though, so it shouldn't have been interfering with viber anyway, regardless.

"easy task killer" which has been great up until the last day or so when they've been pushing out a lot of ads. i've actually just uninstalled it because of that.

i did have viber and some other apps set up with exclusions though, so it shouldn't have been interfering with viber anyway, regardless.

Id take another spin since it could have been killing and forcing resets.
    I've used my one x on countless stock and custom roms at this stage (well maybe not countless about 12) and vibers never even turned up in my battery usage even with a lot of use.

just decided to install it again no that i've got the task killer uninstalled just to remove any doubt about it being the cause of the battery drain and i've seen a setting there that i had missed before (possibly something new?) called "wifi sleep policy" which was set (by default) to keep wifi always on, instead of using the phone's own wifi sleep policy.

you'd have to assume that having a setting like that on by default would be a significant cause of battery drain.

i've changed it to use the phone's wifi sleep policy and we'll see how it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

stwome01 wrote: »

Viber causes no discernible battery brain on my GS2.

Vibe must have something strange going on, no matter how heavily I've used it I've never seen it use more than a few percent of the battery.

I always leave the wifi on - what's the point in having a smartphone and apps like Viber if you don't get messages instantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

hi, I recently flashed a custom ROM (Android Revolution HD 7.1), but now, when I use Viber, my contact's pictures are not
    showing up on the app. Can someone please help!
    Thanks

kennethk wrote: »
    hi, I recently flashed a custom ROM (Android Revolution HD 7.1), but now, when I use Viber, my contact's pictures are not
    showing up on the app. Can someone please help!
    Thanks

Hi,
    I apologize for my late response (there seemed to have been a problem with the notifications :( )

Please note that at this stage we don't officially support custom ROMs with Viber. Running Viber on a custom ROM results in various side effects (sometimes total lack of functionality), but we can't afford to support all custom ROMs out there. We are continuously working to adapt Viber to more and more ROMS, but meanwhile - you might want to contact the ROM developer for further support - they may be able to resolve this issue. In addition, it would be a good idea to test Viber on Stock ROM on that same phone, in order to see if that indeed is the source of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Hey,
    In the last week or so Viber hasn't been working at all for me. Everytime I launch it or access it through the notification bar after getting a message it work for about 30 seconds and then closes and sends me back to my home screen.

Any help? Already tried reinstalling but no luck.

Using a Huawei G330.

Beekay wrote: »
    Hey,
    In the last week or so Viber hasn't been working at all for me. Everytime I launch it or access it through the notification bar after getting a message it work for about 30 seconds and then closes and sends me back to my home screen.

Any help? Already tried reinstalling but no luck.

Using a Huawei G330.

Hi there,
    I apologize for my late response.

Please note that Viber does not officially support your device yet, and that may be the reason for the problems you are experiencing. Here is the full list of officially supported devices: http://bit.ly/Hm5k9p
    We are continuously working to adapt Viber to more and more devices, and we hope to make your device fully compatible soon. When we have news, we'll let you know.

Just posted on their FB wall
    7EcI6Wy.jpg

Muuuuuch much much better

:)

Any hint on how far along it is?

Chinpool wrote: »
    Any hint on how far along it is?

We still don't have specific release dates, but we're working around the clock to have it ready as soon as we can.
    When we have official news, we'll let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Recently moved carrier and from iphone to htc one, installed viber nearly straight away but issues with code for authenicating phone, got that sorted now getting message

Viber service is currently unavailable or being blocked. Is this a voda ireland issue or htc issue, can it be resolved?

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Recently moved carrier and from iphone to htc one, installed viber nearly straight away but issues with code for authenicating phone, got that sorted now getting message

Viber service is currently unavailable or being blocked. Is this a voda ireland issue or htc issue, can it be resolved?

Hi,

Some mobile operators across the world block Viber on their 3G network. Usually this happens when users have a "simple" data plan (or a prepaid contract), meaning they didn't pay extra for using VoIP on their 3G network.

In order to verify this, we recommend to:
    1. Test Viber on a few different WiFi networks, and see that it works fine.
    2. Contact your cell company and confirm this with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

odd one but the GF installed viber last night and was told that she would get a code to enter or something but as soon as she filled in her details a +544 number rang.

Just wondering was this vibers check or something else?

she has been able to send messages since this though

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote: »
    odd one but the GF installed viber last night and was told that she would get a code to enter or something but as soon as she filled in her details a +544 number rang.

Just wondering was this vibers check or something else?

she has been able to send messages since this though

Viber has 2 ways of authenticating your number:
    - Send you an SMS with the code
    - If this fails, you receive an automatic call (from one of our servers across the world) that reads you the code.

So this was probably the second mechanism at work :)

Advertisement