Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehabgroup CEO retains salary of half a million

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

RMD wrote: »
    Comparing the wage of a head of state to the head of an organization is entirely irrelevant. People don't enter politics to earn money.

Could have fooled us.

They enter it for the power to influence decisions in the hope to get money out of it as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

djpbarry wrote: »
    Originally Posted by madra dubh View Post
    It just doesn't sit well the fact that people give their time raising money for what they think is to enhance services but in reality is funding fat cat wages.
    How much do you think the CEO of Rehab should be paid?

With respect the point is charitable donations made in good faith are not being used for what they are meant for. If I make a donation to rehabcare I would expect it to be used to support the care of their service users. I have in the past made donations to rehabcare in my local town but recently I refused to do so because I have seen the wasteage that the organisation is guilty of. I am reminded of the hospital sweepstakes scandal. This woman is creaming money from an organisation that struggles to provide its service at a local level where every cent is counted and saved.

She should be ashamed of this as it is a complete moral abuse of her position as the 'head' of what people see as a charity. This lack of morality and decency shows up the worst type of greed that seems acceptable to some people in our society. That she continues unabounded in this role without addressing the openly raised public disbelief at the money she 'earns' from this charity does not in my opinion display the compassion that someone in a role involving helping people should have. It is little wonder that under this woman the rehabcare group has developed a layer of highly paid management that does not work directly with their service users. A total disgrace and I would hope that the national media investigate and expose this scandalous situation sooner rather than later. The sad thing is that it is the people on the ground who do provide care and compassion along with the unfortunate service users that are losing out due to the greed of Angela Kerins and her sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

People don't enter politics to earn money.

I would not agree. I suspect its the minority of people who would fit into your assumption.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 yard_king

Comparing the wage of a head of state to the head of an organization is entirely irrelevant. People don't enter politics to earn money.

yes , matty mc grath could have been running intel , had he not decided to be a public servant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

With respect the point is charitable donations made in good faith are not being used for what they are meant for.
    I’m just making the point that running a large organization such as Rehab is an expensive business – there are going to be sizeable overheads. Now, that’s not to say that I’m defending the size of the salary in question – I’m not, as it does appear excessive, but, I don’t have all the facts.

Anyway, the general subject of CEO pay at charities often comes up on this site and there is often a consensus that money spent on six figure salaries is money wasted, as if these organizations are spending big money on directors and executives just for the sake of it. There is obviously good reason why organizations are prepared to fork out to secure the services of certain individuals. The argument that this money should be going where the donors intended is very simplistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anyway, the general subject of CEO pay at charities often comes up on this site and there is often a consensus that money spent on six figure salaries is money wasted, as if these organizations are spending big money on directors and executives just for the sake of it. There is obviously good reason why organizations are prepared to fork out to secure the services of certain individuals. The argument that this money should be going where the donors intended is very simplistic.

You're correct, but they should really be up front about it and take the hit in telling people that their donations are going to pay staff salaries in addition to the charity work they do. (don't some charities list the % of each donation that makes it to the intended recipients?)

astrofool wrote: »
    You're correct, but they should really be up front about it and take the hit in telling people that their donations are going to pay staff salaries in addition to the charity work they do.
    Well, I don't know about Rehab (Group), but most charities are pretty open with their finances. Annual reports are generally published on their website.

But more generally, you’re making the distinction there between “salaries” and “charity work” – surely there is a significant amount of overlap between the two? In fact, it could probably be argued in a lot of cases that expenditure on salaries is expenditure on charity work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Well, I don't know about Rehab (Group), but most charities are pretty open with their finances. Annual reports are generally published on their website.

But more generally, you’re making the distinction there between “salaries” and “charity work” – surely there is a significant amount of overlap between the two? In fact, it could probably be argued in a lot of cases that expenditure on salaries is expenditure on charity work..[/

When the salary is several hundred thousand and an Audi Jeep as recently reported then it makes people less likely to dip their hands in their pockets. I like to give money to charity when I can and in better times I donated four figure sums to different African aid charities. The next time I see rehabcare collections I will not contribute and the main reason for that is that I have become aware of their organisations layers of bureacracy, i.e. higher and middle managements below the disgraceful Angela Kerins. They seem a resting pot for a type of 'scone eating' brigade from evidence I have seen. The pity as I see it is that there are people who work with disabled people compassionately in Rehabcare and they are the ones who lose out because of this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Saw on telly a few years back...a dot com millionaire who decided to give his money to African charities...couldn't find a charity he was happy with... So he set one up.. Him and his family set up in africa...and basically got organisations to tender for funding... He had loads of groups come to him looking for cash.. Often to buy jeeps and laptops... He was aiming for 2.5 /3 % running/administration costs ,everything else had to be spent on the ground....
    Gave away over 750 million...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Why don't the ALL irish charities share the same board of directors and CEO's.

Why aren't they voluntary positions, filled by retired successful business people.

• Advertisement

Why aren't they voluntary positions, filled by retired successful business people.
    Why would retired business people volunteer to run a business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Why don't the ALL irish charities share the same board of directors and CEO's.

This is probably the dumbest post of the week on Boards.I can only assume that you've never been in any Board meeting.

The reason why ALL Irish charities don't share the same Board and CEO is the same reason why all Irish businesses don't share the same Board and CEO and the reason why all Irish sports societies don't share the same Board and CEO. Because they're separate, independent organisations - with a vast range of different objectives, different geographic areas, different operations etc. Are you seriously suggestion that the Leitrim Association of People with Disabilities should share a Board and CEO with the Donkey Sanctuary in Cork?

Think again.

And as for the 'retired successful business people' - charities aren't businesses, they are charities. Certainly, some input from 'retired successful business people' could be helpful, along with input from young people, along with input from people who use the services of a charity, along with input from IT experts etc etc.

I see an article from Ms Kerins in yesterday's Irish Times supplement titled 'Merging: for good? - Mergers in a fragmented disability sector will help the bid for a caring society'. It doesn't seem to be on the Times website.

The gist of the article is that large = good and small = bad in the disability sector. She tells us that mergers would allow many organisations to 'build capacity, further reduce overheads, share technology and assets'. It seems to be a fairly simplistic and self-serving approach, and it ignores some of the downsides of large organisations, including the kind of outrageous salaries that Ms Kerins takes out of Rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RainyDay wrote: »
    I see an article from Ms Kerins in yesterday's Irish Times supplement titled 'Merging: for good? - Mergers in a fragmented disability sector will help the bid for a caring society'. It doesn't seem to be on the Times website.

The gist of the article is that large = good and small = bad in the disability sector. She tells us that mergers would allow many organisations to 'build capacity, further reduce overheads, share technology and assets'. It seems to be a fairly simplistic and self-serving approach, and it ignores some of the downsides of large organisations, including the kind of outrageous salaries that Ms Kerins takes out of Rehab.

Let me guess, of course she would like to be at the top of such a larger organisation. :rolleyes:
    Self serving over paid <snip> would be the description that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭donaghs

RainyDay wrote: »

From a quick read of the article, even after sterling conversion, our Angela is still doing better than most of the "overpaid" UK bosses. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is she FF or FG.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Is she FF or FG.

FF - Out of favour with the current administration

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Sadly you are rather naive to believe that. Our politicians like the dosh

If the link to her husbands deal is true, it is very damning.

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    If the link to her husbands deal is true, it is very damning.

Apparently not to damning, given that she's still in the job. Here's today's update....

Rehab go to Court to continue to squeeze another few million out of the public purse;

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/decision-to-abolish-state-funding-for-lotteries-will-damage-charities-1.1473670

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Any "charity" that can afford to pay it's CEO half a mil shouldn't be getting a penny from the exchequer. I cancelled my DD to the Irish Red Cross following their scandal and tbh I think most "corporate" Irish charities are the same, with the exception proving the rule. They should be ashamed of themselves really taking such a chunk of the funding they receive.

murphaph wrote: »
    Any "charity" that can afford to pay it's CEO half a mil shouldn't be getting a penny from the exchequer. I cancelled my DD to the Irish Red Cross following their scandal and tbh I think most "corporate" Irish charities are the same, with the exception proving the rule. They should be ashamed of themselves really taking such a chunk of the funding they receive.

This +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

Advertisement