Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehabgroup CEO retains salary of half a million

Options
  • 05-04-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Anyone feel that the estimated €500,000 per year that it was reported (Phoenix, Sunday Times and Irish Times) that Angela Kerins earns as CEO of the Rehabgroup is completely unjustifiable at this time?

This is at a time when Rehabgroup workers have had to endure cut backs, withdrawing of Christmas bonus, redundancy, reduced hours, pension contributions, and reduced travel and expenses. Also, allowances have been cut for Learners with disabilities on FAS funded courses and ratios have been increased between Instructors and Learners on HSE funded courses thereby, reducing the quality of service to these people with disabilities.

There's no end to this :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

I never give money to charity because of crap like this. I will never ever give any money to any charities so I can contribute to some assholes inflated salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Its a ridiculous sum of money for that job.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that in 2010 it was reported that we gave the Rehab Group €54.4m, I think we should have some form of say in whether the CEOs salary is over the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 madra dubh

What is worse.... Bear in mind how much time she spends serving on various boards her actual pro rata salary must be nearer the million

Buy the latest Phoenix (or stand ion the shop and read page 3)!!!

• Advertisement

Heard there was something in it. what is the gist.
    Can she stay on?

Something about Rehab being able to import coffins from China for €150 max but instead they go for a deal where they cost €400 and are imported by her husband & brother's company.

I'm just after seeing that it was reported in part elsewhere about a week ago:
    Rehab has also defended its decision to award a contract for the supply of materials from a company whose directors included Ms Kerins’s husband, Seán Kerins, and her brother, Joseph Mac Carthy. Complete Eco Solutions imports timber panels from China which are then used by Rehab staff to assemble into coffins.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0329/1224293300178.html

I would say that is the last nail in the coffin for her....... sorry couldn't resist it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Is there no end to this sh*t:mad::mad:I used to fundraise for them years ago and felt really guilty for having to give it up because I felt it was such a good cause.

The salary is disgusting enough without having to give contracts to her mate too. How do people like her sleep at night????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems like their CEO thinks "not for profit" doesnt apply to her! , nobody in that organisation should be on more then €150K as it is not really a commercial company. basically it provides front line services on behalf of the state, but clearily their CEO uses the organisation to further her own personal ambitions also reading some of the articles about her it looks like Rehab is just a part time job for her.
    It seems like the quango sector should be shook up a bit.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I have been very wary about giving to organised Irish charities for quite a while. For example, I would donate locally to St. Vincent de Paul, to local schools, local sports clubs etc. because I generally have a good idea of of can find out what the money is spent on.

I do not get involved in donating centrally to any of the bigger charities because there is no clarity or transparency about where the money goes. While you know in general what the charity is about, you do not know how or where the money spent on administration goes. Suspicious is the wrong word, but nervous that my money might be spent on people lobbying the Government or something rather than going directly to those in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rehab has also defended its decision to award a contract for the supply of materials from a company whose directors included Ms Kerins’s husband, Seán Kerins, and her brother, Joseph Mac Carthy.

To me, something like that would necessitate a full investigation and audit into the entire company. Transactions like that are unforgivable without extraordinarily good reasons backing them up and is probably symptomatic of much more dodgy dealings designed to benefit others more than the company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

To me, something like that would necessitate a full investigation and audit into the entire company. Transactions like that are unforgivable without extraordinarily good reasons backing them up and is probably symptomatic of much more dodgy dealings designed to benefit others more than the company.

+ ! here pal....sommat not quite right here this poster would opine.

Might be interesting to look at Management salaries in this place....usually they have some relation to CEO package.

One thing sure none of The Crown shekels will go anywhere this organisation until this highly questionable behaviour is cllarified,

Who do they think they are ?......Fine gael TD,S ?

As far as I know the company is split into different branches, each branch has its directors, assistant directors, managers etc. Apparently the directors are earning 150k each + bonuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

madra dubh wrote: »
    As far as I know the company is split into different branches, each branch has its directors, assistant directors, managers etc. Apparently the directors are earning 150k each + bonuses
    If this is true it'll put a fairly big hole into the 54million they got last year before they do any "good", all these charities are the same.

madra dubh wrote: »

Ah !

Thought as much....pattern in these orgs is very similiar and predictable.

Put in place a weak tame Board -party hacks are a good source of "talent".

Appoint a CEO...who if any good recognises above and get the snout firmly in the trough.

Allow selected other piggies to nuzzell the ends of the trough...so if the big bad wolf comes calling there is more than one piggie with his / her rear in the bacon sclicer.

Salaries of course are taxable and fairly public......a greater interest would be in the expense regime and controls - this is where the real fat on the rasher is.

The fas boys copped this on.....

Not forgetting the holiday entitlements.........of course.

This one could have legs...................

If this is true it'll put a fairly big hole into the 54million they got last year before they do any "good", all these charities are the same.

Indeed my friend !

The Crown has been pointing this up fer some time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Any organization that recieves money from the state should be statutorily obliged to file full public accounts. This really shouldn't have required a leak to a paper to come to light≤≥

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

rehab just got a huge uk contract for job training, a lot of the job training deals in the IE and UK are atrocious wastes of time i wonder will their training be any better ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0402/1224293650067.html

why do they get so much gov money?

is the rehab group are very own big society, using non-profits to privatise services and given them huge government contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Angela Kerins is one of the group of 17 who produced the so-called "blueprint for Irish recovery".

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Blueprint-for-Irelands-recovery-presented-by-group-of-17-experts-118070689.html

All with their snouts in the trough urging that social welfare and public spending be slashed, most associated with low standards of corporate governance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

rehab just got a huge uk contract for job training, a lot of the job training deals in the IE and UK are atrocious wastes of time i wonder will their training be any better ?

is the rehab group are very own big society, using non-profits to privatise services and given them huge government contracts

" Rehab Group chief executive Angela Kerins said Rehab, which holds a 51 per cent stake in the deal, has “a strong track record over 60 years in supporting people to achieve the skills they need”."
    Hmmm, with that track record and unemployment of over 400,000 here I would have thought they would be foussing their skills here ?

Rather than focusing their skills here I heard TBG which is part of Rehab focusing on unemployment training is in fact being fased down in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Its a complete insane amount of money at the best of times.

Whenever I see these salaries of semi state boards heads or charity organizations ceos or even things like the FAI head or our politicians themselves it reeks of either delusions of grandeur or simply total pisstake.

I mean what is it about 'positions' in this country? Ireland was for most of her history - with all due respect - piss poor. This was briefly interrupted by some 10 year frenzy which wasn't actually real but just latched onto the 'credit card'. But yet every buffoon in this country with a 'title' and a 'position' seems to be earning moneys as if we're fkn Saudi-Arabia or Switzerland or something.

I really lack the words to describe what I feel about the disparity between this kind of stuff and reality.

Essexboy wrote: »
    Angela Kerins is one of the group of 17 who produced the so-called "blueprint for Irish recovery".

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Blueprint-for-Irelands-recovery-presented-by-group-of-17-experts-118070689.html

" Co-authors of the report include prominent conservatives Michael Berkery, the former chief executive of the Irish Farmers’ Association; the former Taoiseach (Prime Minister) John Bruton; former European Parliament president Pat Cox and Fine Gael strategist Frank Flannery "
    Is this the same John Bruton who was Taoiseach at the time Lowry pushed through the deal for the phones ? And, pray tell, what does the former chief executive of the IFA, representing an ' industry', ie farming, which has been massively subsidised ever since we joined the EU know about creatinga dynamic industry ? And of course there us simetimes lobbyist for Microsoft and other multnationals, Pat Cox ? When he gets up in the morning, it must be confusing for him deciding which particular hat to wear ?

Phoenix again returns to the subject of Angela Kerins salary ( April 22)_after what the article writer says were comments from Rehab's Chairman over " seriously wild, innacurate and unfair speculation in the media" about Kerin's salary. So Phoenix has calculated roughly that Kerin's salary plus bonus,plus pension contribution brings her salary to € 370,000 approx. Then there is the car package which the magazine puts at €25,000 to bring their calaculated remuneration total to circa € 410,000 in the 2009 period.
    Then there is the expenses which the Exec enjoys which the magazine thinks is in the region of € 25,000 - minimum wage earners eat your heart out ! The magazine points out that Rehab staff had being receiving a christmas bonus of one weeks wages but this was stopped in mid Dec 2008. Kerins, the magazine points out did receive her bonus of € 70,000 in 2009 .
    Rehab of course could end any unfair specualtion about executive remineration, by simply saying what it was !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

her salary is "less then 260,000" to quote the times, ie more then 250,000

No, to use the terminology that would be used in company accounts, her remuneration package for 2009,if Phoenix is correct, is on the order of € 400,000.

anymore wrote: »
    No, to use the terminology that would be used in company accounts, her remuneration package for 2009,if Phoenix is correct, is on the order of € 400,000.

Look!

fair play to Phoenix for highlighting this type of thing......as a previous poster said Rehab Board could end all the inaccurate speculation by revealing the complete management salary structure bonus and expense system.

If the figures are anywhere near the mark ...there is a lot of questions for the Rehab board to answer....who are these people anyways ?

There is a real smell about this one...........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Re ReHab CEO - this lady vastly overpaid by any reckoning.

• Advertisement

A question that occurs to me is that as rehab are a registered charity and receive substantial government funding, then is it not against EU competion laws to have them competing with commercial companies for Government contracts ?

Advertisement