Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Remember 5pm on Monday is the dealine for the DCM, we cant have you missing out now :)

Struggling to breathe on a 2km run, to running 26.2 miles, in a month? I don't think so. :pac:

Despite the weather, I got myself out for another short run this evening. Was similar to the run I did last Sunday, not finding as hard to breathe as I did during the week, but it felt like a lot more of an effort than it should. Similar sort of pace for this one to the other short runs I've been doing.

Another short one this afternoon - 20 minutes, just under 11 min/mile pace. Breathing is still a bit rough, was starting to get a bit of the burning chest sensation towards the end but it took longer today than it has done before. This is very frustrating at this stage, I'm 2 weeks on iron supplements tomorrow and my running still really sucks.

Felt pretty crap the last 2 days, but felt a little better this morning so got out for another short run. Still pretty rough tbh - keeping the same sort of ~11 min/mile pace I've had on the last few runs, it still isn't getting any easier. Starting to think I should just rename this log to something like Kirby's Grumpy Log of Grumpiness, because there seems to be more grumpiness than running going on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Starting to think I should just rename this log to something like Kirby's Grumpy Log of Grumpiness, because there seems to be more grumpiness than running going on...

at least there is some running alonside the grumpiness :(

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    at least there is some running alonside the grumpiness :(

20 minutes every two to three days barely counts though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

20 minutes every two to three days barely counts though :mad:

Hey!! That's what Im doing and I think it counts:D. It's different for me though- I have an injury which stopped me running completely for a few weeks so now those 20 mins every few days are great. Keep the faith- you will get better!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The lack of fitness at the moment is probably making you feel worse. It's a long time since you got a run of training so running is going to feel tough and thinking about how much you want to be training and how much fitness you're losing probably isn't helping you.

Don't mean to be harsh or anything as I don't know how crappy you're feeling compared to how I do/have in the past, but HTFU, just get out and run. It's a tough call sometimes, but, experience has taught me when it is and isn't a good idea to go out and run when you feel tired and crap. Have a lie down for 15 minutes when you get in from work, set your alarm, when it goes off DRAG yourself up and get out there. Even if it is only 1.5 or 2 miles, once you're getting out there. I've often still felt crap for the first mile or two and then all of a sudden you start feeling much better.

Are you taking vitamin c and vitamin d? Have you decreased your caffeine intake? I know you're on iron supplements but they can rip your stomach apart so that probably isn't helping. Red meat and leafy green veg are much better than any supplement. Only red meat I ever eat is when I have spag bol or shepherds pie, I'd eat both of them for like a week straight, every night when I feel like my energy levels are taking a nose dive and snack on spinach leaves. It's not fun, but, it's worth it to be able to get out and run.

I really think joining a club would benefit you at this stage, having a training session to go to is a great motivator for getting you out the door and giving it a whack when you're feely sh*tty - and having other people around just in case, will be a bonus. I don't think I'd be running the way I am now if I hadn't joined the club in January, I reckon I'd have thrown in the towel for any sort of consistent training with all the constant setbacks I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Don't forget Liver, it's yummy :D

You're having a sh1t time, once the iron levels come back up you'll be brand new!

The lack of fitness at the moment is probably making you feel worse. It's a long time since you got a run of training so running is going to feel tough and thinking about how much you want to be training and how much fitness you're losing probably isn't helping you.
    You're probably right there, it's seriously depressing to even think about how much fitness I've lost lately, given that I've barely been able to run at all since early September and I've not been able to string together good consistent training since Barcelona... 7 months ago.
    Are you taking vitamin c and vitamin d? Have you decreased your caffeine intake? I know you're on iron supplements but they can rip your stomach apart so that probably isn't helping. Red meat and leafy green veg are much better than any supplement. Only red meat I ever eat is when I have spag bol or shepherds pie, I'd eat both of them for like a week straight, every night when I feel like my energy levels are taking a nose dive and snack on spinach leaves. It's not fun, but, it's worth it to be able to get out and run.
    I've decreased my caffeine intake, much as that hurts because I absolutely love my coffee! Down to 1 cup a day at most, compared to 4-5 cups beforehand. My iron supplement also contains vitamin C, and I'm also drinking plenty of orange juice. I've increased my red meat intake too, used to eat it 3-4 days a week and now it's 5-6 days a week, and generally it's stuff like steak, stews or chili con carne. Threw a load of spinach into the wraps with my steak fajitas last night, nyom nyom :D
    I really think joining a club would benefit you at this stage, having a training session to go to is a great motivator for getting you out the door and giving it a whack when you're feely sh*tty - and having other people around just in case, will be a bonus. I don't think I'd be running the way I am now if I hadn't joined the club in January, I reckon I'd have thrown in the towel for any sort of consistent training with all the constant setbacks I've had.
    Gonna have to get back some kind of fitness though if I want to join a club without embarrassing myself... can't really turn up to a club session and be wrecked after 2-3 miles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

You've had a rough few months healthwise RK. You must be fed up of it :( I saw your post in the injured thread, if you are not happy with your progress a second opinion would be worth it.

Gonna have to get back some kind of fitness though if I want to join a club without embarrassing myself... can't really turn up to a club session and be wrecked after 2-3 miles!

Sure there'll always be people at sessions only doing that much. Can only really speak for us here but Tuesdays are two mile warm up and then into the track - there's always at least on person just jogging around the track because they're either racing/recovering/on the comeback trail. Thursday is a lap that is split into two and you'd often have people doing just the first half. We seem to have a bigger group than Liffey Valley and MSB at the moment - but I assume their training would be similar.

You're making a comeback you're allowed to be unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry j, only catching up on your log now. Sounds like there is good reason for your grumpiness.
    I know your runs are short but at least you're out there. Mine aren't great and I'm marathon training!
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things food wise too. Lots of great advice from RQ as well.

After a weekend of rugby and home-cooked dinners, I finally got out for a run this evening. Went further than I've done in a while, even if it was only to stretch the run out to 4km! :pac: Body seemed to be behaving itself a bit more today than it has done on my last few runs, even the heart rate was closer to where I'd want it to be for this sort of run (145 average at about 10.30/mile pace). Progress? I feckin' hope so!

Did the same run as I did on Sunday this evening, about 4km. Felt a lot harder, even at a slower pace (just under 11 min/mile pace). Returned home to a text asking did I want to head to Mulligans - this may have been a better option than this run...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

It's still early rk :) you can do both

I expect 5k at least tonight and leave the watch at home. Good lass. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

RK I hear your frustration and know how you feel - this stop/start crappy training is sh1te.

Are you getting out on the bike at all or does your breathing feel as ragged on it as it does with a run. Just thinking is there any other cross-training you can do to boost your fitness and confidence?

I've been out on the bike a couple of times, not that much though. If I take things slowly, my breathing isn't as bad as it is while running, it's just a bit awkward to get out in the evening after work on the bike. 1 week back in work seems to have brought me right back to the level of fatigue I was at before the week off, which is incredibly annoying.

Got home relatively late from de mammy's, so decided to go for a short run rather than taking the bike out. Did ~4km, ~11 min/mile pace, still doesn't feel easy at all. Breathing and general low energy levels are still the obvious limiting factors. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling with it, hopefully you can get some consistent runs in and don’t worry about the pace. It’s downright frustrating when you feel wrecked, and its hard to enjoy the runs but it will get better.

Page 5, fail. :pac:

Have been feeling a lot better this week, less of the constant tiredness and I can now walk up the stairs in work without getting out of breath. Little victories... Got blood test results back too on Tuesday, things have improved so I've to keep taking iron supplements for another 4-6 weeks just to be sure. Tried another short run this evening, it's still not easy, but I wasn't expecting much considering I had a very long day in work today and I haven't had dinner yet. :pac: Breathing is less ragged though, which is a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Great to hear you're on your way back RK, slowly slowly but at least its progress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Bally8 wrote: »
    Great to hear you're on your way back RK, slowly slowly but at least its progress

Softly softly catchy monkey!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That must be so frustrating for you, especially with that gorgeous park next door.

jcsmum wrote: »
    That must be so frustrating for you, especially with that gorgeous park next door.

The last 6-7 weeks have been SO frustrating you wouldn't believe it. Just hoping now that it doesn't take *too* long to build back some sort of fitness, and that I don't get injured or ill again any time soon. The last 7 months have been just one giant mess, never getting more than about 6 weeks at a time where I could get some consistent training down.

Going to set the Raheny 5 as my next goal race. Just under three and a half months to hopefully get back into some sort of racing shape...

Another little milestone reached. Ran 5k today :)

(5.31km covered, average pace 10.24/mile, average HR 162)

This is the furthest (and pretty much the fastest) I've run in about 6 weeks. Delighted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done RK onwards and upwards ;)

Pilates and core strength workshop this afternoon. It was made very obvious to me how much I've been neglecting my core strength lately, I'm going to have to work on that. :eek:

In another sign that mojo is coming back - being on the bus, seeing people out running in the rain, and thinking "feck, I'd rather be running", and also seeing the DCM course route signs and feeling a bit jealous of everyone doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Sorry to see how awful its been for you....keep working on those little milestones and stay positive. You're doing really well :)

Advertisement