Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lads the amount of agri land around there it was probably for taking crops our of the fields there. Could well have been Guinness or private loading dock for Barley etc drawn out. The turn table would be to take the crane off the tow path for horses to clear I would assume.

It looks like an old quarry and large bog to the north of it also so could well have been for this either.

It was a different time and infrastructure wasn't as it is now.

Nice to see it retained albeit not very sympathetically. I'd say if that river could talk it would tell some tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd say it was a surprise to the lads laying the path.

It would be great I'd a bit of work was put into restoring it, but most likely it'll be left as is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would they correspond with these two markings either side of the canal? not that i know what the markings mean.

What year is that map from? There's a quarry marked there that's no longer visible, I don't think.

There's a tramway marked on this map, and if I could figure out how to overlap them on the geohive viewer, might be able to see if it lead to the quarry in mb's map

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's the 25" map, so i guess around 1911 i think?

I have your map, and I have my map. The slider option doesn't seem to work for me, but flicking between the two, it seems the tramway on mine leads to the quarry on yours

Just in case everyone wasn't bored enough, I've done two comparison maps. The first is a side by side with mine and @magicbastarder's. It shows that the quarry on his map lines up with the tramway on mine

Secondly, I overlaid the map with the tramway on top of a recent photo of the area. You can see the scar left from the quarry, and the route that the tramway took

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Some fine detective work here, it looks as if I just have to try and find out what was being quarried

local bedrock is limestone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The quarry about 100m north of the one under discussion also had an adjacent lime kiln...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Sending lime up to Dublin for building.

Lots of lime kilns are in poor quality land with acidic soils, if limestone is the local rock then it's probably for building.

They got in bother trying to link two lakes up in Mayo Galway trying to build a canal through limestone

https://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/waterways-of-the-west/the-cong-canal/

Both of those quarries are quite close to a more recent abandoned quarry (known locally as the Blue Lagoon), which was set up to supply materials for the M7 when it was being built.

There's also a possibility that they were digging out shell marl there, it's quite close to Ummeras bog. Neither quarry looks big or deep enough to have had bed rock quarried, though it's possible they were filled in afterwards. Slell marl was used as a soil improver before commercial fertilisers and lime became available

OK, so after talking to my local contact it appears the quarries were owned by a local family the Scullys and were used to produce building stone and may have worked until the 1950s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got lost in Wexford again

Greenway bird's eye view of Ash Dieback 😰

Any ideas what this is? It's a bell of sorts, but a rather remote spot.

A rocky beach on the Waterford Gaeltacht coastline

Is it a wind chime, possibly a memorial of sorts? The flowers would make me think so anyhow.

Was originally going to post this in the Tell us about your cycle today thread but figured I'd put it here instead.

Did a route that I've had in the back of my mind for a while: went over and back three hills near Kilteel & Rathnmore - McDonagh's Lane, Lamb and Rathmore hill. On my first descent, I had piclked up a nice bit of speed and was hoping to set a decent time when I turned a bend and there were a number of horses galloping up the road towards me - not someting you'd normally expect to see...

As I was ascending Lamb Hill, I saw this gate and figured I'd get a photo on my way back down...

77km with 1100m @ 25.6km/h

https://www.strava.com/activities/9743927405

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Cracking summerlike afternoon for a cycle in Cork -

https://www.strava.com/activities/9761693481

Dog days of Summer. What a morning for a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

@cletus

that gate got a shot in The Dead, Joyce's book/film. It was also used in a Bus Eireann add, which has a rather oversized (for that road) bus passing it.

Just saying.

Bottom of Finisk river lowing across to the Monavullaghs, with a morning fog

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

easy location

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Grand Canal new gates, at Devonshire Bridge towards Ponsonby Bridge. New surface layed, just needs to be steam rolled afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The view from the highest point in Letztebourg...

... Then I read the information board. The highest point is the two hills over.

Reassigned in 1994 after a GPS survey.

Given that I'm off the bike for a little while, I thought I'd post up my birthday haul in lieu of a photo of a spin

Happy Birthday @cletus

• Advertisement

Advertisement