Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just because you can doesn't mean you should, but I did it anyway. I took the road ebike up to Ballinastoe for the blue trails, using 35c Marathon Winter Plus spiked ice tyres in place of gravel tyres lol.

Good craic, hands a bit sore as expected but part of that is down to the stiff tyres and running a mid range pressure, I'll drop it a bit more next time. Thinking of picking up a set of 35c Continental Terra Trail gravel tyres for around €50. Looks like 40mm would easily fit up front but not many options for a cheap tyre.

221w average power without zero average counted, always a good workout on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Looking across Dundalk Bay towards the Cooley Mountains ( centre ) . Slieve Gullion far left , Mourne Mountains in distance far right .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Donore Castle (near Longwood Co. Meath) - a £10 castle built to defend the Pale

A step back in time in Killyon...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

The rain held off for the whole spin: for once recently it was lovely out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Outside Tullamore on the Grand Canal

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

South Netherlands - not in this pic but surprisingly hilly.

Slow braised brisket burger, chips, and a pint in Nanny Quinn's.

Turned into a great day for a bank holiday spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Up on the trails in Slieve Blooms yesterday - great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Amazing cycle this weekend from New Ross in Co. Wexford to Passage East Ferry, to Dungarvan via the Waterford Greenway. Return leg was Dungarvan to Tramore via the copper coast and then Tramore to New Ross via the ferry.

Amazing scenery down on the coast road! Stunning cycle! Last photo, I nearly had a bad crash into a ditch but managed to get my right foot down and keep my rear wheel on the path. Cleat is worn to almost nothing 😱

Post edited by jebidiah on

Nice photos but I'd say it was a bumpy ride travelling along photo #3 😁

Is it a bog railway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Haha! Would have been better off with a MTB 😂

The Greenway seems to run a long side an old train line for the most part! It was quite nice, but the coast was spectacular

Had only a short timeframe this morning, so went out early for a ramble

Managed to startle both a rabbit and a heron.

It was a bit cooler and breezier than I thought it would be when I was setting out, so I threw on my new Tourmalet jacket as a sort of windbreaker (plus, I wanted to give it a try out). Worked perfectly for that, and when it warmed up, it was stuff-able into the cargo pocket on my shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Some fun was had, till I punctured and luckily I had loads of spares. (in the car 🙈😭)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Stopped for coffee and a tosti at a waterskiing park, just north of Eindhoven. No mountains but good forest trails.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Nagle Mountains. Chimneyfield area Killavullen. More well know for a Cork 20 stage.

They're both Ballinastoe. The first more over towards the wicklow way, just went over for nosey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats the Suir Valley railway, it does a 40min trip on the line several times a day during about 6 months of the year,

https://www.wsvrailway.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Taken out by Peamont hospital looking back towards Dublin mountains , gorgeous clouds this evening.

I went out for a spin yesterday evening, and was treated to VIP access to the next section of the Barrow Line blueway section to be opened (that is, someone left the fence unlocked)

Having cycled it while it was a grass track many times, I only saw this small section of narrow gauge track for the first time last night.

There appears to have been some sort of turntable too.

So, took a spin with the young fella to see if the last section of the Barrow Line blueway was finally open.

Fences are down, but there's still workers there. Official word from the man in the hardhat when I asked when it would be open was "very soon"🙄

It seemed like an ideal opportunity to take my mountain bike out. My son took some convincing that my bike was, in fact, a mountain bike 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

I saw that yesterday, going to have to make some enquiries as to what it was for.

It's bound to be an old loading/unloading point. Are the rails alongside the canal roughly 40'? I think the barges were around 40' long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

It definitely looks like a place for loading/unloading with one of those cranes, I just can't figure out what, it's out in the middle of nowhere.

https://goo.gl/maps/p1h5HgQvkJpaM1Nv5

The old malt works which is now Church of Oak distillery is about a KM up the canal but it had it's own harbour.

• Advertisement

Yep, there's no slip anywhere near it, it's farm land on either bank, and it's about equidistant from both of the bridges that demark that section of the canal.

It's almost definitely a loading point all right, but like nilhg says, I don't know what would be loaded there.

What I don't see in the link from @Large bottle small glass is the T junction of the tracks, with a turntable at the junction.

I'm assuming it's a turntable, because if it was a crane mount, it would mean the tracks either side of it were basically unusable

Advertisement