Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Crocked wrote: »
    That's about the only downside of cycling in the Wicklow hills, even more so on the quieter roads where fly tipping/people throwing rubbish out of their vehicles/bikes is worse.

Seriously, who fills a bag of rubbish at home and thinks, I know what I'll do I'll put it in the car and **** it out on the side of the road somewhere and destroy our lovely countryside. Morons.

There's hardly a bit of road in the country that doesn't have litter in the hedgerow/verge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Crocked wrote: »
    Seriously, who fills a bag of rubbish at home and thinks, I know what I'll do I'll put it in the car and **** it out on the side of the road somewhere and destroy our lovely countryside. Morons.

In my experience they would be the ones that consider themselves a breed unto their own and persecuted for living how their fore fathers used to live.

As you say though Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Above the cycle track in Clondalkin last week.

20462950842_72ce7d93d5_c.jpg20150806_211751 by Charlie, on Flickr

[URL="[url=https://flic.kr/p/xbeZzs][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3709/20462954912_f2534787cb_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/xbeZzs]20150806_211858[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/126767158@N06/]Charlie[/url], on Flickr"][/url]20462954912_f2534787cb_c.jpg20150806_211858 by Charlie, on Flickr

Whilst cycling along Military road, I found a telephone bill amongst all this rubbish and I gave to a guard I know, he told me that nothing will be done about it. He said that the culprits would have to be caught in the act.

[URL="[url=https://flic.kr/p/oAhbrr][img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5554/14827766667_7b420490e2_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/oAhbrr]20140823_160105[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/126767158@N06/]Charlie[/url], on Flickr"][/url]14827766667_7b420490e2_c.jpg20140823_160105 by Charlie, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Somewhere between Baldoyle and Sutton

S73_F8991.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Somewhere between Baldoyle and Sutton

S73_F8991.jpg

That'd be Cush Point, a lovely part of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Kids went over to Holyhead on the ferry this morning with their grandad so I stopped off at Poolbeg on my spin to wave to them!

CFE45C84-4ADC-4A12-9715-1345711CABC8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rogue Trooper I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but when you leave the summit take a left onto Thornaby Road, go down the hill past the Summit shop until you find a yellow ESB sign posted gate telling you its a private road (you'll have access on the bike)..

Follow this down the The Bailey Lighthouse and you have some spectacular views of the cliffs and a better view over Dublin Bay. Its really worth the little detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Looking down on Keel in Achill from the masts on Maumnaman.
    Stupidly steep climb but the views are worth the pain.
    IMG_20150810_124926.jpg
    Not the best bike for climbing.
    IMG_20150810_125240.jpg
    Some views from the coastal cycle route.
    IMG_20150810_133518.jpg
    IMG_20150810_133548.jpg

^^^Spectacular scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Last weekend, from a three day trip along Royal Canal and back with my friend. (he was the photographer)

358356.JPG

358355.JPG

358352.JPG

358364.JPG

358361.JPG

358360.JPG

358362.JPG

358363.JPG

358353.JPG

358359.JPG

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Rogue Trooper I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but when you leave the summit take a left onto Thornaby Road, go down the hill past the Summit shop until you find a yellow ESB sign posted gate telling you its a private road (you'll have access on the bike)..

Follow this down the The Bailey Lighthouse and you have some spectacular views of the cliffs and a better view over Dublin Bay. Its really worth the little detour.

Good thinking batman! Been yonks since I was down there so might detour down there in the morning instead of going straight for the wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee back down the hill! :)

Good thinking batman! Been yonks since I was down there so might detour down there in the morning instead of going straight for the wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee back down the hill! :)

Down by The Bailey..

358371.jpg

And good news for me, I've just got rid of my old steam powered camera phone in favour of the new Samsung S6 so my photos should be decent enough from here on in :D

I might venture up there this evening, but I've a small problem with my hip which I've been nursing two weeks now.. But its a beautiful evening for the cliffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alek wrote: »
    Last weekend, from a three day trip along Royal Canal and back with my friend. (he was the photographer)

Great photos friend of Alek.

Got as far as Mullingar last week. Is the towpath west of Mullingar better or worse than to the east?

Very mixed - some nice long tarmac sections, some gravel, some grassy singletrack... All enjoyable in their own way!

Mind that we have seen quite a lot of road works being done, it seems that Waterways Ireland are improving cyclability of the canal as we speak :)

If they could only open all these gates we had to carry our loaded bikes over... :/ 10-15 along the whole way? Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alek wrote: »
    Very mixed - some nice long tarmac sections, some gravel, some grassy singletrack... All enjoyable in their own way!

Mind that we have seen quite a lot of road works being done, it seems that Waterways Ireland are improving cyclability of the canal as we speak :)

If they could only open all these gates we had to carry our loaded bikes over... :/ 10-15 along the whole way? Very annoying.

I fully agree about the gates. I tackled a Waterways Ireland guy about it just past Furey's pub where there were three or four gates with new locks. He blamed the local gurriers who, he claimed, would drive up and down the towpath if the gates weren't locked. I pointed out that there were plenty of unlocked gates nearer to Dublin (home of the gurrier!) with no evidence of car usage. Hopefully the general upgrading of the towpath to Greenway will improve matters as far as Mullingar anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Photos taken in advance of my cycle. Flying out to Paris tomorrow for PBP 2015. 1230km in 90 hours starting on Sunday evening. You can track me at http://suivi.paris-brest-paris.org/ using 'L177'. Maybe other boardsies will post their numbers too.

Bike ready to roll. The large red drybag will become a small red drybag on the ride itself. Two spare tyres under saddle will become one spare tyre (other one will be mounted in place of worn rear tyre). Everything else is as seen...
    358386.jpg

Route sheet...
    358387.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Your shifter cable looks a tad loose there. Is that right?

Good luck on your trip.

That's the wiring to the cadence sensor so no problem (aparting from being a touch untidy...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

cdaly_ wrote: »
    That's the wiring to the cadence sensor so no problem (aparting from being a touch untidy...).

Do you carry 3 water bottles? You could drop 750g right there?

Best of luck, hope ye get perfect weather.

Bike attached in touring mode beside a beautiful beach in Asturias

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Asturias coast

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never saw a bottle down there before...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Looking down on Keel in Achill from the masts on Maumnaman.
    Stupidly steep climb but the views are worth the pain.
    IMG_20150810_124926.jpg

It's insane steep in parts. Climbed it last year and the garmin was reading 32% gradient at one stage. I felt a huge sense of relief when the gradient dropped to a more manageable 17%
    Hoping to go back up there within the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

From this morning's spin (taken with the Virb)

Laytown

358427.JPG

Skerries
    358428.JPG

ford2600 wrote: »
    Do you carry 3 water bottles? You could drop 750g right there?

Best of luck, hope ye get perfect weather.

Bike attached in touring mode beside a beautiful beach in Asturias

Third bottle is a tool kit. Weather forecast has been yoyo-ing between showers or sunny spells. Dunno what to believe now. Just so long as we don't get the thundery downpours forecast for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

G1032 wrote: »
    It's insane steep in parts. Climbed it last year and the garmin was reading 32% gradient at one stage. I felt a huge sense of relief when the gradient dropped to a more manageable 17%
    Hoping to go back up there within the next few weeks.

Achill is a beautiful spot all right, I'm just back from a very enjoyable week myself and I got some cycling in. The weather - a little on the damp side - is grand, the bloody midges though will drive you mad. They really enjoy the type of day that's perfect for cycling - warm and windless :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thargor wrote: »
    Never saw a bottle down there before...
    It's a common feature on touring bikes (suitable as they usually have a LWB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

20402776759_ce6a645e12_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Looks like the road from Dunlewy with Errigal under cloud?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Yes, well, road to Dunlewey for me :)

Advertisement