Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

DominoDub wrote: »

Wonder if the thief didn't go to university so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fwiw I saw a lad trying to sell a stolen bike on Moore st yesterday. Guards caught him and arrested him. The bike was a silver hybrid with mudguards on it and v-brakes. Didn't really catch more info on the bike. I was sitting in a car at the time. Might be worth contacting store street if your bike matching the description got pinched in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I just saw a guy take the seat off a nice bicycle (he was trying to steal it but took the seat instead I guess). Myself and my pal shouted to him but he just smiled at us, grabbed the seat and rode off on his own bike (or the one he just stole from someone else the prick !!!!). It was in Phibsboro, right in front of the Chinese all night buffet place there on the corner of North Circular. If it's your bicycle I can give you the description of the guy who took it in case you're from the area. I got a good look at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

If people see anyone stealing a bike or anything else for that matter;whip out your phone and take a picture or record it. Surely the guards could act on that?
    Or maybe I'm wrong and someone's rights are being trampled upon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

If people see anyone stealing a bike or anything else for that matter;whip out your phone and take a picture or record it. Surely the guards could act on that?

I really wanted to but it was bucketing rain and it all happened so fast :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

I'd be wary of doing that. You never know what scobies are carrying these days.

Fair enough if it can be done discretely but otherwise be very careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You'd be better taking your phone out and dialling 999. Unless you're standing right beside the blokes, it would be difficult to get photo or video of sufficient quality to be useful. The first priority would be to stop it happening.

Having said that, I tried it one time, when I saw guys sawing at a lock outside DIT Aungier St. It was on hold for about 15 minutes waiting for the Gardai to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I've done that before a few months ago, lad was trying to get a screwdriver into a lock, went up and asked him was it his bike..of course he said it was..so I took a few pictures of him and he quickly scattered.

Funnily enough he was using a Dublin bike as his 'transport' as I noticed he had many tools in a bag (screwdrivers, hammer, saws etc), as well as numerous cut locks in it in the carry basket. Scumbags are everywhere.

LCtkxWN.jpg?1

Bike was still there when I finished college, hopefully taken by its owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I witnessed a bike theft in Blackrock this evening. Just outside Supermacs at around 18:00. A guy his girlfriend and their Alsatian dog. I was sitting in my car and waiting for someone, I noticed them looking at a bike left leaning unlocked outside some pub next to supermacs. All of a shot your man took a run at the bike and shot off on it. His girlfriend and the dog just strolled off as if they were just stretching their legs. The owner of the bike came out and I got out of the car and told him what had happened, he ran off up the hill after the lad with the bike but he was long gone.

I'm sure nothing will ever be seen of the bike again but anyone in Dublin that uses a bike is surely aware that no matter where your bike is when you are not touching off it, it should be locked in the proper manner with a proper lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

put up an uncensored pic of that scummer , up it to some imagehost and send the link by pm. I'd love to see his face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just wondering what model locks are considered 'proper', I.e.such that a bike thief won't bother ? Are there any locks available that can only be cut using an angle grinder ?

The Kryptonite 'New York Fahgettaboudit Mini' , now thats a beast when put through the rearwheel and frame .

If you have quick release then add two kryptonite cables into the mix (if the bike is a serious target, otherwise one is fine)....

I asked a local scumbob and he confirmed the small yellow krptonite i mention is an absolute 'beast' .

Alternatively but a second hand fixie in so so condition and use as a beater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Went to look at bikes for my son last night, he literally needs a beater to get from home to the train station and has a budget of €200 ~ he accepts the bike will most likely be stolen at some point in time so doesn't want to spend anymore than he doesn't mind losing..

So first bike we went to view from an online ad (Dublin 20) screamed STOLEN from the 'get-on' ~ the seller was a scumbag, he'd a collection of other bikes in his garden and other scum hanging around outside.

Besides the bike being in bits we done a quick U-turn and fecked off to see another in Dublin 7.. We were getting out of the car and the lad pushing the bike towards us, and two ladies shouted to us "be careful he only sells robbed bikes, everyone knows" ~ again into the car and we were gone.

Of course we'd no proof the bikes were nicked or we'd have reported them but we left infuriated at an evening wasted.

So its really worth looking through the online ad's for your stolen bike/bikes I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    A colleagues' (nice carbon fibre) road bike was also stolen from Citywest on a tuesday afternoon at the end of april. Whoever is doing this has a brass neck (or a van) for daylight robbery and is obviously happy all the workers are inside until 5pm... Below is a photo of the cables they cut through. Note to anyone else with bikes there - bring them inside until your employer or the CityWest landlords provide more secure parking.

E9Spb3G.jpg

I dont mean to sound like this...but are people actually surprised that their bikes are getting knicked when using locks like this!!!
    Seriously i can cut threw that with a bicycle cable cutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I dont mean to sound like this...but are people actually surprised that their bikes are getting knicked when using locks like this!!!

To quote myself...
    check_six wrote: »
    A very common small bike tool will slice these kinds of lock in one go. We are talking quicker than it takes to use the key in these locks.

Use them only as a backup for a quick release, this includes the "armoured" ones. They are handy for tying around things, but not as a primary lock.

Have to say that's generally what awaits you when meeting folk off of adverts.ie for bikes.

I've had a few hairy moments , gangs turning up whilst you're looking at a bike is nothing new with those ads....

I always bring a pepper spray if they sound scrotey in the phone lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

italodisco wrote: »
    Have to say that's generally what awaits you when meeting folk off of adverts.ie for bikes.

I've had a few hairy moments , gangs turning up whilst you're looking at a bike is nothing new with those ads....

I always bring a pepper spray if they sound scrotey in the phone lol

Thats funny. I wouldn't need anything like that tbh.

I was avoiding saying which site we viewed, but you've obviously had more experience of this than I. Its really turned me off wasting any more time with view online ads and just taking him to a shop.

He's not a cyclist as such, and doesn't need anything with all the bells and whistles, we thought we'd get something cheap online but I'm pretty reluctant to waste any more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Thats funny. I wouldn't need anything like that tbh.

I was avoiding saying which site we viewed, but you've obviously had more experience of this than I. Its really turned me off wasting any more time with view online ads and just taking him to a shop.

He's not a cyclist as such, and doesn't need anything with all the bells and whistles, we thought we'd get something cheap online but I'm pretty reluctant to waste any more time.

I wouldn't give up so easily, in the last few months I've bought two lovely bikes, one from adverts and one from done deal, both were bargains. Sellers were genuine , one was a cyclist himself, the other was a commuter who had a new bike to work scheme bike coming.

Had a knife pulled in me few years back whilst viewing a car, some 'random' hoody ran up demanding the money ...wonder how he even knew about it , which proves a point. ..

Didn't get anything from me but it's made me more wary.

Bottom line be careful and use com sense when meeting people .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I've also bought 2 bikes online - both from genuine sellers.
    It's very obvious who are the genuine sellers and who aren't.
    If someone only describes a quality road bike as 'a nice black bike only €500' and the seller has a new profile with no positive/ negative feedback - that screams stay away.
    Unfortunately there are lots of ads online which scream stolen bike/ stay away, but there are genuine ads in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

My bike was nicked and sold on gumtree.
    The seller/thief just copied the spec from the trek site and pasted it in the description of the ad. I had upgraded most parts so the pics of the bike did not match the description and it was pretty obvious! Annoyed me even more!!

sebcity wrote: »
    My bike was nicked and sold on gumtree.
    The seller/thief just copied the spec from the trek site and pasted it in the description of the ad. I had upgraded most parts so the pics of the bike did not match the description and it was pretty obvious! Annoyed me even more!!

Did you get it back when you saw it on gumtree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Did you get it back when you saw it on gumtree?

I was out and about the night it went up so missed it. It was sold within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 adrian_2000

Hi all,
    My bike was stolen from my house yesterday morning (or in the middle of the night, not sure) and is pretty distinctive, so hoping that if it's spotted around Dublin someone might be able to help.
    Can't post images as I'm a new user, so it's a blue and silver SE Lager fixed gear bike.
    It looks like the stock model but has drop bars with blue grip tape on them, so it should be pretty easily spotted. Keeping an eye on the usual sites, and the Garda collection.
    Thanks for any help if anyone has any other suggestions!

Hi all,
    My bike was stolen from my house yesterday morning (or in the middle of the night, not sure) and is pretty distinctive, so hoping that if it's spotted around Dublin someone might be able to help.
    Can't post images as I'm a new user, so it's a blue and silver SE Lager fixed gear bike.
    It looks like the stock model but has drop bars with blue grip tape on them, so it should be pretty easily spotted. Keeping an eye on the usual sites, and the Garda collection.

Upload it to an image ghost, and send me the links and I'll post them

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

My mate just got this Felt Cyclecross bike robbed from Merrion Sq East opposite Holles St. at 1.30pm, 55mins ago. Litterly left it for 15mins to grab a quick bite in Bon Expresso around the corner. Please keep an eye out for it. Had a look in the flats around but nothing to be seen. Had a massive lock on it and no filling around the location. Only has it since 15th of July,

Please, Please Please keep an eye out for it
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l6ri428qt8wvp8/Felt.jpg

Link broken

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Link broken
    Should be fixed now hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Jmcmen wrote: »
    My mate just got this Felt Cyclecross bike robbed from Merrion Sq East opposite Holles St. at 1.30pm, 55mins ago. Litterly left it for 15mins to grab a quick bite in Bon Expresso around the corner. Please keep an eye out for it. Had a look in the flats around but nothing to be seen. Had a massive lock on it and no filling around the location. Only has it since 15th of July,

Please, Please Please keep an eye out for it

Hi,

My Black Kona Kahuna Deluxe mountain bike was right next to it on Merrion Sq East and it was taken too. His was well locked up with Krytonite I think.

Mine had a Kryptonite on back and another good lock on front. No trace of locks on ground.

They were taken between 1.15 and 2pm.

Garda passed by and I reported it, said he'd look into CCTV but doubt there's any.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

wp-se-bikes-2011_1.jpg

Advertisement