Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This so reminds me of the 1970s, when everyone in Ireland used to lock their cars with a big lock attaching the steering wheel to the accelerator, or a gigantic chain and padlock! When did that stop?

Back then, it was popular for citizens to limp slowly across a crossing where cars were stopped, then choose a car (preferably driven by a woman), smash the passenger-side window with a crutch, grab her handbag from the front seat and leg it - or else drag her out and drive off with the car.

There were the same kind of "Serves you right for not taking more care" attitudes to drivers then. They seem to have migrated to cyclists now.

Only lock I'd really like to have would be one wired to explode and incinerate the nearest three metres if anyone tried to cut it or wrench it open... (moment of happy violent fantasy). Sorry. I didn't say that.

Not sure what point your trying to make comparing car jacking and handbag snatching in the 1970's to bike theft in 2012?

All I'm saying is if the bike was locked with a u-lock(Using the Sheldon method preferably) to a solid unmovable fixture the guy would most likely still have his bike now. Hopefully people who still use a cable lock for their expensive bikes see this and go out and get a decent u-lock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Not sure what point your trying to make comparing car jacking and handbag snatching in the 1970's to bike theft in 2012?

All I'm saying is if the bike was locked with a u-lock(Using the Sheldon method preferably) to a solid unmovable fixture the guy would most likely still have his bike now. Hopefully people who still use a cable lock for their expensive bikes see this and go out and get a decent u-lock!

The point I'm making, youcancallmeal, is that bicycle theft in 2012 is a crime largely ignored by the Gardaí, just as car theft was in 1970-85. When there was a serious Garda policy and push to stop car theft, it stopped.

If bicycle theft were rigorously targeted in the same way, it would stop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The point I'm making, youcancallmeal, is that bicycle theft in 2012 is a crime largely ignored by the Gardaí, just as car theft was in 1970-85. When there was a serious Garda policy and push to stop car theft, it stopped.

If bicycle theft were rigorously targeted in the same way, it would stop too.

Fair enough but until that happens I'll still be telling people how to lock their bike properly

Fair enough but until that happens I'll still be telling people how to lock their bike properly

And car

steering-lock-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I find it hard to sympathise with people that don't lock their bike properly..

I'm in town 5 days a week and find myself looking at bikes that even I could steal in a few seconds :|

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    I find it hard to sympathise with people that don't lock their bike properly..

I'm in town 5 days a week and find myself looking at bikes that even I could steal in a few seconds :|

Yes, I was in a cafe today and I could have stolen so many handbags and briefcases - just silly that they're not locked to the leg of the chair. Their own fault really if I stole them.

Yes, I was in a cafe today and I could have stolen so many handbags and briefcases - just silly that they're not locked to the leg of the chair. Their own fault really if I stole them.

Yes of course, I'm sure those people in the cafe clearly just walked off and left their said handbags and briefcases for a few hours.

I'm talking about the pathetic locks.

Moron.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cut out the petty swipes and personal abuse

That's aimed at a number of recent posts/posters in this thread, not just the one that was carded

Beasty wrote: »
    Cut out the petty swipes and personal abuse

That's aimed at a number of recent posts/posters in this thread, not just the one that was carded

Then why not card them all? :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Then why not card them all? :rolleyes:
    Banned for 3 days

If anyone has a problem with mod actions PM them or report the post. Do not respond in-thread.

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

So I thought this was very interesting. I think this goes for a lot of crimes in Ireland as well.

Maybe if the good people on the streets were more willing to help the police then the bikes thieves would be easier to catch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VCJ1m0785zA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

This so reminds me of the 1970s, when everyone in Ireland used to lock their cars with a big lock attaching the steering wheel to the accelerator, or a gigantic chain and padlock! When did that stop?

Back then, it was popular for citizens to limp slowly across a crossing where cars were stopped, then choose a car (preferably driven by a woman), smash the passenger-side window with a crutch, grab her handbag from the front seat and leg it - or else drag her out and drive off with the car.

heard another one, if the window was open while the car was stopped at lights they'd throw a rat in the car so the female passenger would abandon it

heard another one, if the window was open while the car was stopped at lights they'd throw a rat in the car so the female passenger would abandon it

Oh, I'd forgotten that! Anyway, yes - people's attitudes to car thefts were similarly blame-the-victim then, and the attitude of "you can wave goodbye to that" from the gardaí was similar. When attitudes changed, the crime ceased, or virtually ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eoin9288

A Kestral Talon 54CM Red and Black full carbon frame- The bike is very clean and has the following distinctive parts;
    • Yellow SwissStop Brake Pads
    • Carbon Aero Seat Post
    • Specalized Saddle
    • Full Ultegra Groupset
    • Black Allow drops with 105 Shifters
    • Black Mavic Wheels with a yellow stripe on the tyres.
    • ?_task=mail&_action=get&_uid=2079&_mbox=INBOX&_part=2.2&_embed=1

A Trek T1 - Finished in a red candy sparkle finish.
    • The bike had aftermarket Shimano brakes fitted with black tape holding the cables onto the crossbar.
    • The bike was fitted with Gatorskin tyres 23C front and 25C rear.
    • There are no braze ons on the frame so the bottle cages were on the seat post.
    • ?_task=mail&_action=get&_uid=2079&_mbox=INBOX&_part=2.3&_embed=1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anyway, yes - people's attitudes to car thefts were similarly blame-the-victim then, and the attitude of "you can wave goodbye to that" from the gardaí was similar. When attitudes changed, the crime ceased, or virtually ceased.
    The drop in car thefts was mostly down to car manufacturers making cars harder to steal without the original keys. Bikes on the other hand haven't had much in the way of new tech applied to security. Small scale and often good ideas, but not taken up by the mainstream. Even kryptonite locks have been around since the 70's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

So I thought this was very interesting. I think this goes for a lot of crimes in Ireland as well.

Maybe if the good people on the streets were more willing to help the police then the bikes thieves would be easier to catch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VCJ1m0785zA

It's a nice idea in theory, and I'd love to see the Gardai doing ANYTHING to address bike theft, but I'm not sure that ringing 999 is really effective, based on my previous experience.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The drop in car thefts was mostly down to car manufacturers making cars harder to steal without the original keys. Bikes on the other hand haven't had much in the way of new tech applied to security. Small scale and often good ideas, but not taken up by the mainstream. Even kryptonite locks have been around since the 70's.

You're absolutely right; a change in technology matched a change in attitude, and everyone stamped down hard on car theft. When GPS becomes the norm in bikes - AND the Gardaí care enough to follow up on stolen bikes, then the bike theft epidemic will be suppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Just a heads up for anyone who had their bike stolen, My father works in Liberty House (Dublin Corporation) and told me this morning two little toe rags were in there trying to selll a "White Giant" racing bike. :mad:

B*stards wanted €100 for it and were saying it's worth at least €300 with the usual use of the words Bud, mate, story etc..., My father knows his bikes and said it was worth at least double that, it was brand new.

Anyway I hope it's of use to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Hi guys,
    My beautiful (and of very much sentimental value) bike was stolen yesterday (Tuesday 20th November) between 6 and 7.30pm from my "secure" bike courtyard in my apartment block on Usher Street, Dublin 8. The thieves completely twisted my kryptonite kryptolok series 2 U-lock and also seemed to have sawn straight through the locking part - must surely have been a power tool.
    The interesting thing is you need a key to be able to get back out of the courtyard, but with two people or a propped door I suppose this could've been solved. No other bikes were touched it seemed, and there were a couple of "Giant" bikes there. Please keep a look out! Such an awful feeling. Unfortunately there isn't CCTV in the place which is ridiculous in my opinion. Gardai have been notified.
    Here's a picture (not my bike but exact same model). There was a red drinks holder on it and it also has the bottom mudguard like in this picture. Any help much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jesus if they went through a Kryptonite Lock they were on a mission. Hope the bastards faceplanted off the f*cking thing :mad:

• Advertisement

A photo of the lock..... not for the fainthearted :(

May I ask how many locks you had on the bike?

Edit: Still trying to get my head around how they got through that lock..maybe I'm just blind :|

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

A photo of the lock..... not for the fainthearted :(

Looks like a clean cut. Gardai didn't took the lock as a evidence? It is possible to identify the tool which they used to cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Edit: Still trying to get my head around how they got through that lock..maybe I'm just blind :|
    Looks like a jack was used.

Tip: try not to leave enough room to squeeze a jack in...

Fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Taken in the Balinteer area today. Grrr!

2012 model, 19.5in frame. As per the stock picture below, plus a carrier/rack on the back.

Any leads most appreciated.

bikID-47285-600-600.jpg

I had just the u-lock on it.. I always always lock it up with the u and the flex cable when I'm in town, just (perhaps naively) presumed that it would be safe in my apartment block behind two doors.. The gardai didn't take the lock no, I actually emailed kryptonite also - they're getting back to me tomorrow.

Following up on cctv next week also.

MediaMan wrote: »
    Taken in the Balinteer area today. Grrr!

2012 model, 19.5in frame. As per the stock picture below, plus a carrier/rack on the back.

Any leads most appreciated.

bikID-47285-600-600.jpg

Sorry to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CyCaboose

My grey 2013 Lapierre Shaper 300 bike was stolen on Thursday 22nd November at 11.30pm from Ringsend area (Fitzwilliam Quay).

Two scumbags cut right through the lock and took it along with another bike from the underground car-park in my apartment block :( The bike is only a few months old, photo attached.

Any leads appreciated!

The bike had front and rear mudguards (not pictured)

n5acil.jpg

Photo attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Taken from the Moyglare Area in Maynooth on November 24th 2012

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpn2ZyGE%20%281%29.jpg

If you see it advertised anywhere or someone tries to sell it to you please get in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 rebel_rebel

left my bike in work over w end,underground car park in Grand Canal Square area. Thought it would be safe enough,security all weekend and need to swipe past two gates to get in. Locked bikes front wheel. Came in on Monday to find just wheel and lock remaining,gutted as I thought bike was robbed. Said I would talk to security. Luckily for me Security disrupted them during Sunday night when they were attempting to steal my bike and they scattered leaving my bike behind. Security had it stored safely in locked room. Appartently it was 3 lads and they have pretty good CCTV images so just be wary when leaving bikes in underground car parks

Advertisement