Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jerjoe007

Hi ...my 2nd bike stolen at Blackrock Dart Station..only got it on 30th of Oct last !!
    its a Carrera Crossfire 2 gents .Colour grey and Black with mudguards.
    Where are good places to look for it ? any ideas...turns out bike rack is not on Dart station property and doers not have security camera's.
    - what can be done to stop bike crime in Dublin !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

jerjoe007 wrote: »

Make it mandatory to explain at point of sale to anyone buying a cable lock and nothing else that their bike will be stolen quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

Hi my carrera grey/black hybrid bike was stolen in the belfield office park in clonskeagh. Saddle was a little loose. had a front light. mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Can I just ask if the people who had their bike stolen from their sheds or garages, did they contact the garda and was it reported as burglary?
    Did the garda investigate?

yes - they sent a squad car who took a statment and then sent a guy over to take finger prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Not sure if there is a thread for stolen bikes, if so please just move this mods

Giant Defy 4 was robbed this evening outside Citi group building down custom house quay. Had two locks and the bastards still got it. It has tri bars on it and is large or extra large frame.
    If anyone see's or gets offered it, a PM would be really appreciated.
    Its this one but with white grips.

http://c0.dmlimg.com/1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633661e7b8c0d1a80c6ea4be91a12b4c9b09.jpg

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

miller82 wrote: »
    Not sure if there is a thread for stolen bikes, if so please just move this mods
    Did you ever think of looking? There is a stickied FAQ/Charter thread with a link, and the thread in question was not even half way down the 2nd page:rolleyes:

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

miller82 wrote: »
    Had two locks and the bastards still got it
    Were they both cable locks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Were they both cable locks?

yes but one of them was a big beast of a lock. obviously not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

mjquinno wrote: »
    Hi my carrera grey/black hybrid bike was stolen in the belfield office park in clonskeagh. Saddle was a little loose. had a front light. mudguards.
    Hi ...my 2nd bike stolen at Blackrock Dart Station..only got it on 30th of Oct last !!
    its a Carrera Crossfire 2 gents .Colour grey and Black with mudguards.
    Where are good places to look for it ? any ideas...turns out bike rack is not on Dart station property and doers not have security camera's.

What kind of locks did you use folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

seeing_ie wrote: »
    What kind of locks did you use folks?

This is an important question.

While it may not help getting the bikes back, it will help to educate people on what locks to avoid. That could prevent a few cyclists from becoming victims of theft.

The make and model isn't too vital but it would help. The main thing that people need to know is whether it was a cable-lock, u-lock or chain.

From looking through the this thread, for example, it's clear that people should avoid cable-locks for anything other than locking a wheel to a frame. I haven't heard too many reports of thieves breaking a good Kryptonite or Abus U-lock so these seem to be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cable locks are ****. Simple as. A cable lock should never be used to secure a bike, even for five minutes while you go in to get a coffee.

The main problem is that people look at a cable lock, see that it's 1-inch thick and think it's as good as a 1-inch piece of metal. This is simply not the case.

Cable locks are generally made of a single piece of braided wire, probably 5mm thick or less. Most cable locks have an additional thinner wire (1 or 2mm) wrapped around the inner wire for additional strength. Thicker and thicker cable locks simply have more of these extra wires wrapped around the inner wire. This is typically known as the "sheath".
    The sheath is not connected to the two end-pieces. Not in any major way anyway. The strength of the lock is reliant entirely on the thin piece of wire connecting the two end-pieces.

In many cases, thieves can pull back the sheath by 5mm or so, exposing the inner wire, snipping it effortlessly. In other cases, pulling on the lock hard enough will break the connectors (they're only attached by a thin piece of wire, remember).

A bolt cutters will also quite readily snip through most cable locks. A straight piece of steel, like that in a U-lock, will have a good cross-sectional strength. The bolt cutters will have to cut directly through 10 or 12mm of solid steel to get through. This is not the same with a cable lock. The wire sheath has very little cross-sectional strength, so the lock "flattens" when the bolt cutters are applied, meaning that the cutters now only have to contend with 5 or 6mm of steel wire, which is many times weaker even than 5 or 6mm of solid steel.

This is why you should never bother with a cable lock. They're just a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Can I just ask if the people who had their bike stolen from their sheds or garages, did they contact the garda and was it reported as burglary?
    Did the garda investigate?

They did in my case and even tried to take some finger prints. No luck with getting the bike back unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jerjoe007

sadly lock recommended to me was a very strong cable lock that cost E 70 - feckers cut through with wire cutters in seconds !!!
    something must be done to stop these bike crimes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

With the amount of bikes being stolen you'd think it'd be well known where they were selling them, without advertising it where do you think they all end up!?

sadly lock recommended to me was a very strong cable lock that cost E 70 - feckers cut through with wire cutters in seconds !!!
    something must be done to stop these bike crimes ...

Don't use a cable lock for a start.

Beau wrote: »
    With the amount of bikes being stolen you'd think it'd be well known where they were selling them, without advertising it where do you think they all end up!?

Smithfield.

Peace wrote: »
    yes - they sent a squad car who took a statment and then sent a guy over to take finger prints.
    They did in my case and even tried to take some finger prints. No luck with getting the bike back unfortunately.

I thought Peacewas being sarky until I saw the second post. I'm far too cynical it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zalpha

B'Twin Riverside 5 trekking/mountain bike, charcoal colour, 24 speed with back carrier, front suspension, hub dynamo. Like this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-5-mens-id_8156686.html

Frame number starts with: (21)002-0061-18 (have taken out last digits)

Stolen from RDS Thursday Dec 1 around 4 to 7 pm at Craft Show. Sadly, poorly locked with cable lock.

Reported to Garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 karmabass1

Grey men's Giant FCR 3 (Large) stolen from Stephens Green luas stop today... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

Peugeot Amboise, grey lady's vintage touring bike, single-speed, 650x42B wheels. Bought by my dad over twenty years ago - pretty distinctive. Locked it up on the corner of Exchequer St./Dame Court on Saturday night (was still there in the wee hours of Sunday morning when I decided to take a taxi home), gone when I went subsequently back for it. Heartbroken!

http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerndgo/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Peugeot_1989_France_Brochure_Langeais_Amboise_BikeBoomPeugeot.JPG&target=tlx_picwce3&title=Langeais%20&%20Amboise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Lucan Collective

A number of new bikes have been stolen from Lucan ( Still boxed / not assembled)
    Trek 1.1 , Trek 1.2 , Trek Hybrid etc . Some City bikes / Some Women Specific . Approx 20 bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

A number of new bikes have been stolen from Lucan ( Still boxed / not assembled)
    Trek 1.1 , Trek 1.2 , Trek Hybrid etc . Some City bikes / Some Women Specific . Approx 20 bikes

Where they stolen from a shop or how?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Were they all Treks? Are frame numbers available? Do you have a comprehensive list of what was taken, sizes, colours etc

I would guess with so many taken some could turn up in our adverts sub-forum, adverts.ie, donedeal, gumtree etc. If anyone is suspicious of an ad please don't post about it, contact the relevant mods or website

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Giant SCR 1.5 stolen in Lucan between Sunday 18th and Wednesday 21st December. Bike was stored in my shed which was locked with 2 sliding bolt locks and 2 padlocks.

The bike was equipped with
    - Shimano 105 pedals
    - Cateye Srada wireless cyclocomputer CC-RD300W
    - Cateye rear light
    - Carbon Stryde "Ironman" tri bar
    - tool box under seat with tube/co2/levers
    - 2 bottle cages

REWARD OFFERED

GiantSCR15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 doc1982

My TREK 1.2 2010 Model (red/black) stolen from secure fob access only bike shed and fob access underground car park in Rathfarnham. I had bike locked as well with Oxford cable lock (but reading on threads it doesn't seem to matter what lock is used!)

Thieves had fobs that opened underground car park and bikeshed and waltzed in and took my bike and another bike in 10mins...

Can management company track fobs and who uses? Should mgmt company be responsible for who can access?

doc1982 wrote: »
    My TREK 1.2 2010 Model (red/black) stolen from secure fob access only bike shed and fob access underground car park in Rathfarnham. I had bike locked as well with Oxford cable lock (but reading on threads it doesn't seem to matter what lock is used!)

I'm sorry to say that it matters very much. Cable locks are one step up from securing your bike with a shoelace.

doc1982 wrote: »
    Should mgmt company be responsible for who can access?

Cars parked at owners risk etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

Hi Guys, I remember reading here a while ago about some guy who's bike was nicked..
    Anyway, so was mine and I'm still on the lookout for it, however I found this the other day thought it might be useful to some of ye :)

Bikes in Garda possession

Garda seek owners of unclaimed property
    Please note this property is not for sale - we are attempting to return property to owners.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

thanks 40040D
    maybe post in stolen bikes thread or mods may move it for you
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324&page=22

Threads merged

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

Hello all,

i had my bike stolen from Lansdowne Dart Station in early December. I would be happy to offer a reward to anyone who can recover my bike for me (or can get somebody arrested for taking my bike)

It is a beautiful bike, and I really miss it

I have already checked and it was not removed by Aviva or Dart Staff

Also reported to Irishtown Garda

Tricross.jpg

Advertisement