Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We've had at least one report of someone getting their bike back as a result of posting on Boards, and I presume others wll have got them back via other avenues, but generally it's a very small proportion that are recovered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Bike in the picture below (belongs to a user by the name of Spelean) stolen today (I'm not sure what time) from St Pat's college in Drumcondra. I don't know exactly how it was locked (I'm posting this for someone else).

It's a red and white (as you can see) size L BTwin Triban (a Decathlon bike), with Look Keo pedals, and raceblade mudguards.

No other distinguishing features really, although I haven't seen many of these around Dublin.

Obviously not holding out much hope, but if anybody happens to see it, would appreciate a shout.

2011-11-05%25252010.10.22.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jp889

My son's bike stolen from outside his school over last 24 hours in Booterstown. Flimsy lock but guess I didn't expect someone to rob a 4 year olds bike from a school yard...

It's about a year old - photo below. His bike doesnt have the stabilisers on it and is obviously a bit scratched up but still pretty pristine.

specialized-hotrock-16-inch-2012-kids-bike-16-inch-wheel-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

A friend of mine had this stolen on him earlier this year. We just spotted it for sale this week on another website but its sold and no contact details available. Its actually a custom built Di Zecca frame and still has the Suntour superbe pro groupset he put on it. This is a one off frame and of great sentimental value. If anybody comes across it please send me A PM.
    Very distinctive frame with extended seat tube and Number plate holder under top tube.
    Also the Suntour Superbe pro Groupset would be quite a rare groupset as welll.
    Thanks.
    <snip>

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@Pablo Rubio
    although you may believe the bike advertised on Donedeal was the one that was stolen, there is no proof, and we cannot allow unsubstantited allegations on boards - I would suggest you contact Donedeal and/or the Guards about that advert

I'm also merging this with the stolen bikes thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

welcome to boards
    sorry about your mates troubles
    special section for stolen bikes here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324
    might be worth another post

sorry beasty
    we posted together

Thanks for the Help guys.Advice taken & Garda have been contacted .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi,

My bike was stolen from the bike rack directly outside Fresh supermarket at Grand Canal Square.

Here's a picture of the bike. It had mudgaurds and lights fitted, as well as a pump attached to the vertical frame.

0580.jpg

The bike had a high quality Abus lock fitted (€100) but I have no idea how he got it off as it wasn't left behind and he definitely didn't use heavy machinery to cut it off.

I have no seen this model of bike anywhere else in the city so I gather it's unusual enough. If you see this type of bike anywhere, please send me a PM!

Thanks,
    John
    There was one of these on adverts the other day. Someone on these forums was asking about buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

check this tread for link to ad:
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

but its sold and no contact details available

Did you manage to find any contact details? Done Deal ads usually have a contact link that takes the form

http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/contact/contact.jsp?id=[Advert ID number]

So I'd take the number from the end of the web address of whatever ad it is you're looking at and swap that into the link above - without the square brackets. Load that and you should have a contact form that'll let you send a message to the seller.

I'm sure the seller in this case is entirely innocent, but contacting them might help to put your friend's mind at ease.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    check this tread for link to ad:
    <snip>
    I've deleted the link, but if the poster wants to check it out they can PM me. Having looked at that seller's other ads I consider it highly unlikely they have anything to do with stolen bikes.

Thanks

Beasty

I'd agree that chances are he probably bought the bike in good faith myself . Hopefully it can be sorted with out to much hassle.
    Thanks for helping out guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

pduff74 wrote: »
    hi pablo rubio i bought a bike just over a week ago off donedeal.ie it might be
    the one your on about ? i only registered on boards.ie as i googled about bike
    to get some info about it and seen your thread, i dont know how to pm on this site
    as im new, hav'nt worked it out yet, could you please pm me asap with a ph number ?
    regards pduff74....

to send him a pm
    click on his name
    scroll down to send him a private message
    type message in box provided
    press submit message(no one else can see this message)
    welcome to boards
    honest man;)

Hi Thanks for the reply I'll send you a PM.
    Thanks ,P.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Long shot I know but I was out running in the Dunshaughlin/Ratoath area and had to make a stop..... To my surprise I stepped on a bike in a ditch close to an entry to a field in the middle of nowhere. I decided to collect it afterwards and hopefully reunite it with it's owner. It is a Falcon (hybrid) bike. Straight handle bars (a tad rusted) but a decent looking bike all the same. If anyone has one lost/stolen please let me know as I am happy to return it to its owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336f08e940ff8e9ac2d089c7a768e093748.jpg

My Black Trek 7.3 fx 22.5 inch frame stolen last Friday, Liffey Street, Dublin while I was watching the soccer. It's the same as the one in the photo only mud flaps are missing and it has two water bottle holders and a bell. PM me if anyone sees it online or about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Avanti Giro road bike robbed from the underground car park of my apartment block (Kilmainham Square). Apparently quite a few were nicked. Cops informed.

Can't find any pictures of it but I'm sure I have some somewhere. I got it in New Zealand some years back and is a fairly unusual brand (not seen any over here) so it might turn up for sale somewhere.

Some info:

Black
    Mavic Aksium wheels.
    Shimano 105 shifters and gears
    Somewhat tatty black saddle with prostate protecting groove.
    Carbon forks, stays, seat post.
    Tatty enough handle bar tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Lads how about including details about how your bike was locked (if it was) when it was stolen. might help other learn from your misfortune.

My Boardman MTB was stolen from my shed a few months ago and was locked to the girlfirends bike with this lock:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_701571_langId_-1_categoryId_212470

The scum simply used my own tools to smash the lock up and stole the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Some shoddy iphone photos of the former lock. An Abus.

Snipped with bolt cutters it would appear. Lots of other bikes in the rack were not taken but quite a few were. I don't know what other locks folks had but I assume they just took what they knew they could easily snip.

Perhaps I'll move this post to the Adverts section instead.

"Second hand lock for sale. One careful owner. Mostly black."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

maloner wrote: »
    I don't know what other locks folks had but I assume they just took what they knew they could easily snip.

Unfortunately, thieves know very well that cable locks, such as that in your pictures, are easily snipped. I'd say that in a large group of bikes they start with the cable locks and if they get a decent haul they move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chadmurdock

Bike stolen out of my house yesterday afternoon on grace park road dublin9. White Saracen tour 3 2008 model.
    Anyone with any info on it please get in contact. its the same spec as the pic i've uploaded, extras that were on the bike were clip pedals, pump and mount and black puncture bag under seat. Speedo mount also but speedo not on it.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

where would it be likely turn up? places like buy and sell spring to mind but are there any others i may not have thought of? if you happen to be looking for second hand bikes could you keep an eye out for it and again post here if you come across one advertised in dublin?

Try smithfield. How was the bike locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonco

Stolen from portobello mon afternoon. Red white and blue trek racer just like in the photo. Cable locked to railings, popped into Brasilero cafe for a coffee came out 20mins later to find lock broken on the ground. Thanks

tourdelance2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Reading a forum with interest, noticed a lotta bikes stolen from sheds

A while back I lost key to good quality padlock, I expected all kind of problems opening our side gate, one crack with a hammer is all it took to open lock !

Things that may help, dont leave anything in garden, which could be used a lever to force open your shed door, ie a spade

Use a hasp rather than a bolt
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hasp&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-Address&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=hsjQTu6VBsGHhQfwhf3CDQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=675

To deter thieves a bit
    cover any screw heads, with Silicon, stops a thief using screw driver to remove screws

The above is really just a deterent, if the thief has access to a lever : spade
    nail bar etc

To deter someone climbing over side gate, drive some screws thru gate at top, so they protrude apprx 5mm, not easy to climb over gate now

On a seperate note, woudnt it be great to get a gps chip in bike frame, similar to Android phones, you then track it's whereabout's if stolen. One for any inventors out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

k123456 wrote: »
    On a seperate note, woudnt it be great to get a gps chip in bike frame, similar to Android phones, you then track it's whereabout's if stolen. One for any inventors out there

http://www.baitbike.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

jonco wrote: »
    Stolen from portobello mon afternoon. Red white and blue trek racer just like in the photo. Cable locked to railings, popped into Brasilero cafe for a coffee came out 20mins later to find lock broken on the ground. Thanks

Baffled as to how anyone thinks a cable lock can secure anything.

Maybe a sticky titled "don't use cable locks", or rename the forum "Cycling: if you use cable locks your bike will be stolen"?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Can I just ask if the people who had their bike stolen from their sheds or garages, did they contact the garda and was it reported as burglary?
    Did the garda investigate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Just a quick word , I saw three amigo,s with bolt cutters up around New Street , New Market Square of D8 on Thursday about 1.30 PM , I told a few uniform gardai in the area and I know I'm a bit late ....but be careful ...

MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Baffled as to how anyone thinks a cable lock can secure anything.

Maybe a sticky titled "don't use cable locks", or rename the forum "Cycling: if you use cable locks your bike will be stolen"?

It also baffle's me that sales person don't ask the buyer if they are going to use the cable lock as a primary or secondary lock. Well I suppose stolen bike = new bike purchase or is that me being to cynical??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

doc1976 wrote: »
    It also baffle's me that sales person don't ask the buyer if they are going to use the cable lock as a primary or secondary lock. Well I suppose stolen bike = new bike purchase or is that me being to cynical??

I often wonder about that too. I work in halfords in coolock and always recommend a good D-lock as a primary lock...usually in the form of the magnum plus D-lock bout 52 euro.
    Obviously it depends on what you spend on the bike (people won't be spending that on a trax piece of ****e). I do tell people it doesn't really matter what Coil lock you have a good bolt cutters will get through either. I also do tell them how people could get through the D-lock

Classic but true line is to say to them
    "Sure it's cheaper than buying a new bike"

*(I don't get more money for selling you a more expensive lock :P)

Advertisement