Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lads keep an eye on adverts and gumtree... few suspicious sellers of bikes.
    If anyone has any suspicions concerning bikes for sale elsewhere (or indeed in our sub-forum) report the ad - do not provide any details here

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Silver specialized langster with shimano m20 spd's . 58 cm frame, blue specialzed bottle cage. New York Bike shop sticker . (I think toga bikes nyc but cant be sure)

La Pierrie rcr 100 small / extra small frame , black full sized mud guards and a carrier. pedals were flats one side spd the other shimano.

Dublin 8 -
    4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Lads keep an eye on adverts and gumtree... few suspicious sellers of bikes.
    How do you pin down and catch the feckers at it though? Some very obvious ones from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mrs_Hen

My bike was stolen last Monday from my from door in Phibsborough at 4:30 pm, They had cutters and snipped off my lock. Beautiful bike only 18 months old and used for 100 km journey each week.

Giant City Escape 4W, frame size S, Sliver, shimano 21 Speed, Silver Mudguards & Carrier, Pollisport Child Seat, Kick stand and cat eye light fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Never ending thread this. My Lapierre LP400 MTB was stolen from underground car park in Chapelizod last week. Navy blue in colour, splash guards front & rear, two rear red lights, front suspension & disc brakes front & rear.

Fcukin cnuts took the lock and all - so much for sold secure tag!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

there has to be some king of gang doing all this thieving:mad: its easy saying there just drugies these guys are targeting top end bike's and have to be able to offload them to somebody maybe ship them out of the country..
    wonder is the cops are anyway interested in this type of crime. reading today in drogheda leader some chinise boy was selling counterfeat frames Dogma for 1200 euro but the judge seem to think it was some kinda joke commenting selling a bike without wheels :o the guy was only fined a couple hundred , nah they dont take bike crime as been serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

How about a google map to go with this thread. If we mapped the locations we might pick out where the dodgey areas are....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

There it is with street view.
    197252.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I found out yesterday that the going rate for a stolen bike in Dublin is €50.

That's what the thieving scumbag gets from whoever sells it on, regardless of actual value.

Someone is making a lot of money out of these bikes, and it's not the scrotes doing the actual thieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

MTB Trek 6000 hard tail stolen

Add mine to list. Was stolen late October/November from Shelbourne Park Apartment block, South Lotts Road, in the basement car park. Not sure of exact time as bike had chain missing, it had snapped and was waiting on a new chain so I had left it in the lock up for a while. Whoever took it would have had to get a new chain for it straight away as it had no chain on it at the time.

Date Oct/Nov 2011. Place: Shelbourne Park Apartments, bicycle lock up.

Bike: Black/grey/onyx Trek 6000 Frame:19.5

The bike was stolen from the "secure" bicycle lock up in the apartment basement. Am only posting this now as I think I saw it in the same area recently but didn't get close enough before they cycled off.

Bike is still sadly missed!

2010-trek-6000_5082757.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jp111

Hi All,

I've been a fan of the cycling forum and I'd prefer my first post to be something a bit more positive but...

My bike was stolen from outside the Aviva Stadium today (24th March) between 3 and 7 in the afternoon.

Its a black cube aerial 2011 with red tyres, very similar to the one here http://www.trizone.ie/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/u/cube-aerial-2011-600.jpg

It has a relatively large saddle bag, black metal bottle cage, a black speedo and black handlebar tape.

Admittedly the lock wasn't great, a kryptonite hardwire http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=999843

If anyone gets offered one/sees one at the Sunday markets, a message would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ripeinmay

Hi My bike was stolen recently and im trying to track it down. :(

xlb244.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/xlb244.jpg

Please share this on your facebook if you can.
    Any help much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Had my racebike stolen last night, its a giant TCR advanced, mavic ksyrium elite wheels with schwalbe ultremo r1 tyres, black proloqo scratch saddle with just a bbb handle bars and a shimano 105 groupset, anybody hear of 1 for sale???????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If your bike is getting robbed next year you should probably lock it up safely ripenmay ;)

Planet Shadow Stolen

Same bike as this - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pigr7PMJGEqaR8fYBf2u7kNstq8XKh12eGrZ0KhXD_8WEJDxkrQ4RuH9eOttQ8brKdU4C0UtpzrnO6ZA4AsMk07uPkwYHIhvtl9-KdmZaTUx

Stolen today between 9am and 5pm from outside the Arlington hotel on O'Connell bridge. My brothers bike so I don't know all the details yet. It's only a cheap mountain bike but it's his cheap mountain bike and it gets him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

sorry to hear that
    there is a dedicated thread for stolen bikes
    maybe mods will move it here for you
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77864747#post77864747

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Someone looking for the owner of this recovered Specialized Allez .. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/2913365

mp31 wrote: »
    Someone looking for the owner of this recovered Specialized Allez .. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/2913365

i posted a link to this add in january
    there was a discussion at the time
    not sure whether the add is genuine or not
    thanks for posting and keeping an eye out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76634962

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Was locking up my bike outside Peggy Kellys in Harolds Cross last night and I see a Kryponite D lock at the base of the pole with a 2 inch section cut out of it.

I have a the same lock so was a bit taken back.

Bar man comes out and tells me that a Mayo reg white transit van pulled up, two lads hopped out and 30 seconds later they had the bike in the back of the van.

He notified the guards, told them the reg and said he has the CCTV (they haven't followed up on this as yet).

Just a warning to all, lock it up out of sight, even with decent lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Wow, what kryptonite lock?
    Where there other bikes around? Or was it al on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

subway wrote: »
    Wow, what leyptonite?
    Where there other bikes around? Or was it al on its own?

Kryptonite Evo Series 4. I've the Evo Mini.

Was shocked myself, was getting a bit cocky leaving it locked up in public places. Bit of a reality check.

Locked to this pole: http://g.co/maps/xujjg

Done at 7.30pm in broad daylight on a very busy road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

Gutted to have had my bike stolen off the bike racks outside the central hotel, Exchequer st in Dublin city centre, last night.
    All I can do is ask you to keep an eye out. This is the 4th bike stolen in the last two weeks amongst people I know and from that area.

Thanks.

Pic below.
    http://pic.twitter.com/cW9iWHEx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Sorry to hear, how was it secured?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

went down to the underground car park earlier to go for a spin.

Bike gone :(

It was chained to a railing in an apartment in Dundrum

Giant FCR Road bike- Charcoal
    2 short bull bars / 2 bottle holders / fittings for lights / 1 or 2 number stickers from events on the handlebars..

If you see it give me a shout please ..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

subway wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, how was it secured?
    that crappy yellow lock plus a not-so-great u-lock. its mostly my fault but figured since it was right out in the open and wouldnt been left for too long, that it was okay. happened at night.

ah well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Any information would be much appreciated :(

Giant SCR1 2008
    Selle San Marco Rolls saddle
    Thomson Inline seatpost
    Shimano 105 Groupset with newly installed black 105 Crankset.
    Mavic Aksium Wheels
    Schwalbe Durano plus tyres - 25mm on front and 23mm on back ( don't ask )
    25 X11 Ultegra Cassette
    Ultegra SPD SL pedals
    Gravel Marks on the Top Tube, Garmin Edge 705 stem mount.

7068795227_f5250250bf_c.jpg

sorry to hear that rocstar

f****rs
    really enjoyed seeing your pics(especially your cycle around antrim)in the photos on your cycle thread

maybe a bit of luck and you will get it back
    hope this wont curtail your travels though

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

I really do despair everytime I look at this thread. Does anybody ever get their bikes back? Do the Gardaí treat these as serious crimes ? Is there ever a 'sting' operation or any kind of operation to detect these goons ? I don't for a moment believe these are opportunist thieves. This is a dedicated group preying on what really are expensive and much loved valuables. If they were gold or diamonds I am convinced there would be a much more concerted effort to catch the culprits. It has come to the stage now that I will not leave my bike locked anywhere unless I can watch it at all times Despite the common response 'what type of lock did you use?', if they want it , they will take it.
    I suspect most pressure on the Gardaí to act comes from insurance companies who must pay out on claims and these bicycle thefts are not covered unless taken from the home etc so no real pressure on the Gardaí to make an effort.......unless you know different. I know I will get the usual rant about a crime is a crime etc and is treated as such but does anybody know for real what importance they place on a 'I had my bicycle stolen' report?
    My sympathies to you rocstar and all the other victims as I know how much you love your bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Don't think it's the insurance spuring the Gardai into action, it's probably more to do with the vast volume of bikes nicked and the lack of manpower to follow up on all bikes nicked. When I reported mine stolen in the cop shop I really felt they really coundn't give a sh!te, just another bike stolen. Took the details down anyway in their wee notepad but I doubt it was even registered on their system. As Harvey Normal says, when it's gone it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I've said this before, but I really think the Gardai are more or less turning a blind eye to bicycle theft at the moment. I think they see it as a non-violent crime perpetrated by junkies, and the alternatives are muggings or syringe-point robberies. My bike lives in the hall at home, or in the underground car park at work. I would never leave it anywhere else, even with my 2 locks on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

MarkR wrote: »
    Afternoon folks,

Friend of mine had this stolen from his front garden saturday night. Usually brings it in, but forgot, and now it's gone.

Bike is a Chris Boardman black mountain, stolen from Shannon (near the gaa).

Hopefully it's just been cycled home by a drunk! :D

36501_403063139712610_100000267826995_1462795_1305124137_n.jpg
    Just been directed to this thread, thanks.

Advertisement