Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lemag wrote: »
    So that we can go out and rob us some bikes :confused:
    It's a fine balance - we don't want posters to explain how to get round security systems, but it is helpful to understand where the weaknesses are to help avoid others falling into the same trap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crossle

2 of our bikes were stolen from our garage last night, between 8.30pm and 11.30pm (Thursday 11st August). We were in the house and the garage adjoins the house. It is possible our son didn't latch the garage door and someone noticed the door ajar, came in the gate and into the garage and took both bikes:

BIKE NO 1: Fuji Team - Carbon Racer - White handlebar tape, blue San Marco saddle. Only had it a year. See photo of the FUJI attached and I have serial numbers.

couGC.jpg

BIKE NO 2: Giant hybrid - grey with a child seat on the back

I am so angry about it, this is the second bike that has stolen, the last locked in Ranaleagh. After that I wouldn't leave a bike on the street. I really want to do something about this and although I know the chances of recovery are very low, I want to do my best to find it.

I will be monitoring all the websites, Garda auctions, talking to local bike shops, etc. I am also tempted to put signs around the locality as it was likely to be an opportunistic scumbag. Any other advice of where to trace bikes would be great.

It makes me think there must be a better way to use everybody how has had a bike stolen to try and trace where the bikes are going. Surely the volume of bikes being stolen can't just disappear and must have to end up somewhere.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

Sorry to hear it Crossle, I am only down the road in Milltown, me thinks there is a pattern appearing here !

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

is there anywhere else with a stolen bikes thread like this to check out bikes for sale online before buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

cyco wrote: »
    is there anywhere else with a stolen bikes thread like this to check out bikes for sale online before buying?
    if your looking at getting a bike from someone, but take the frame number down and check with garda, they will be able to cheack it agenst there list and tell you if they have it on record or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

It may have been mentioned here before, sorry if so, but there is another forum for keeping an eye out for stolen bikes:
    http://www.bikeshepherd.org/

You can register your bike with it's serial number,upload a picture of it and details of where it was stolen, and it appears on a map of Dublin so other users can keep an eye out.

They've also teamed up with Kryptonite to offer a tagging system you can buy; a tamper-proof (whatever that means) sticker with a qr code on it that people can scan to check out the status of the bike.

Sounds interesting but probably will only be effective if a hell of a lot of people are using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The bikeshepherd scheme has a lot of potential if people will sign up for it. At the very least it's a good place to post info on your stolen bike so people can keep an eye out. I've registered my three bikes on it, hopefully I'll never have to report them stolen!

I pass through milltown, rathgar and the surrounds every day, I'll keep an eyeout for that Fuji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Stolen last night August 14th 2011 from thr back of our house at Grangerath Drogheda, near the Southgate Shopping Centre.
    Giant Acid 2 kids Mountain bike, belonging to my 10 year old son
    The bike is black and has all stock parts fitted,
    I understand there were only a very small number of these bikes sold in Ireland,
    Any information that would help with the recovery of the bike would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Glasscrank

While I was racing at the National Track Champs on Sundrive Road on Saturday my van was broken into and my road bike was stolen. It a Wilier Cento 1, Campag Record Throughout, Campag Shamal Wheels. It's Red / Black and size S. One year old. It has a Selle SMP Carbon Saddle on it. Bike is worth €5,500. One of a Kind in Ireland. If you see it drop me a line. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Glasscrank wrote: »
    While I was racing at the National Track Champs on Sundrive Road on Saturday my van was broken into and my road bike was stolen. It a Wilier Cento 1, Campag Record Throughout, Campag Shamal Wheels. It's Red / Black and size S. One year old. It has a Selle SMP Carbon Saddle on it. Bike is worth €5,500. One of a Kind in Ireland. If you see it drop me a line. Here's hoping.
    Ouch, really hope you get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

My bike was stolen from inside my house yesterday, someone broke in and nicked a laptop and my bike.
    The rear tyre is flat, there was a seat pack fitted, and the grip was black.

cannondale_caad9_4_race_red.jpg

Haven't seen many of these around town ever, especially in this colour.
    Anybody sees it, I'd really appreciate a shout.

Thanks
    Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Well done, your on the radio! hope you get it back.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know it's already been asked, but if you could put up a photo of either the actual bike, or a stock picture it, it would help posters keep an eye out for it, either in the flesh or in FS ads on the net. It's probably the sort of bike that will catch the eye more than most that are reported here

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭furry

Looking for a little help here...my other half had his bike stolen from outside of work on friday, three weeks after buying it :( Its fairly distinctive so if it pops up on any site it should be easy to recognize...

its a scott addict r3 (blank and white), dura-ace crank set, ritchey stem (white), Deda handle bars, Sram rival shifters, selle italia slr saddle and american classic wheels.... if anyone see's it for sale on any site can they respond to this thread...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

just to clarify it it a 2011 model ? Scott change colors every year almost. Will keep an eye out. Not that many Scotts in the south east , so trying to sell it on, in the southeast, it should stand out. I own a scott myself. and have just been through getting my stolen mountain bike back, by the gardai in Crumlin.

mine turned up on done deal about 5 days after been stolen, but the picture was not of my bike but the description and the brand and model were correct. I think the thieves dont use the actual picture just to put u off, u think ''thats not my bike'' and move on in ur search. my advice is therefore search by make and model and not necessarily the picture.

I verified that it was mine by texting and asking where in dublin was the bike for sale an the thief answered with the area it was taken from. We set up to meet the thief to recover the bike but at that point handed the whole thing over to the garada who went in , in plain clothes and arrested the lads. 1 x 18 and 2 x 15 year olds.

watch the sites alright......probably a few days before they move to seel it on, dont give up hope and report it to the gardai. If the gaurds think its the latest in a string of robberies by the individual, they will be anxious to have something to arrest the thief redhanded with.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭furry

Yea i should have included the year, its the 2010 model....i see the 2011
    model is also black and white... delighted to hear you got yours back,
    hoping for the same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Putting this up for my mate:

Two near-identical bikes stolen from Lucan over the weekend from a garden shed.

They bashed the side-gate lock, shed lock and cut a kryptonite lock on the bikes.

Bikes are only 6 months old.

One is slightly larger and with bull bars.

There is a reward offered for the recovery of the bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bikerAngel

I had my bike stolen yesterday (22/08/2011) from right outside cineworld on Parnell street. I had just gotten it under the bike to work scheme friday. I had it for a whole weekend. Haven't even made one payment on it and now I have to pay for the rest of the year and buy a new bike. :mad:

My bike is a ladies hybrid, grey carrera with a distinctive pink bottle holder. The bike tubes have been replaced with Slime Schrader Bike Inner Tube and have bright green nozzle caps, it also has a spring loaded pannier on the back for holding bags etc. Link to halfords as I dont have it long enough to have pictures of my bike. :( If anyone has any details or have seen this please let me know.

Does anyone have any ideas on where these bikes go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

bikerAngel wrote: »
    I had my bike stolen yesterday (22/08/2011) from right outside cineworld on Parnell street. I had just gotten it under the bike to work scheme friday. I had it for a whole weekend. Haven't even made one payment on it and now I have to pay for the rest of the year and buy a new bike. :mad:

My bike is a ladies hybrid, grey carrera with a distinctive pink bottle holder. The bike tubes have been replaced with Slime Schrader Bike Inner Tube and have bright green nozzle caps, it also has a spring loaded pannier on the back for holding bags etc. I've attached a picture of the bike from halfords as I dont have it long enough to have picutres of my bike. :( If anyone has any details or have seen this please let me know.

Does anyone have any ideas on where these bikes go?

sorry to hear that. Any details on what sort of lock you were using?

• Advertisement

It was a standard multi-strand cable lock with a rotating 4 dial catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Learn from your mistake and get a U-lock, I wouldn't use a coil lock as a primary lock. Cineworld at paranell street isn't the best place to lock it either. I've a friend who'd had a really ****e looking bike robbed from there. I guess the nackers know people are usually locking there to see a film.

Talking to the bouncer of the woolshed after and it seems its a really bad place to leave bikes. He sees bikes stolen every day. But to the unsuspecting cinema goer it looked safe. Lots of bikes there and people outside it all the time. I have ordered the best lock I could with my new bike. :o

bikerAngel wrote: »
    Talking to the bouncer of the woolshed after and it seems its a really bad place to leave bikes. He sees bikes stolen every day. But to the unsuspecting cinema goer it looked safe. Lots of bikes there and people outside it all the time. I have ordered the best lock I could with my new bike. :o
    The krypotonite or Abus U-locks are popular. Wish you better luck with your new bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Just wanted to let people know, following on from my last post a couple of weeks ago (our sons bike stolen from front garden), I have done a bit of researchere and found there are vans going around the estates after midnight and taking what they can from front gardens. Bicycles are being sold to others for cash quickly or sold for scrap locally. Navan area.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Just wanted to let people know, following on from my last post a couple of weeks ago (our sons bike stolen from front garden), I have done a bit of researchere and found there are vans going around the estates after midnight and taking what they can from front gardens. Bicycles are being sold to others for cash quickly or sold for scrap locally. Navan area.

With this in mind, I've just phoned the gardai about a man wandering around our housing estate looking into back gardens and looking very suspicious. I also gave them the reg number of a white van which wasn't parked here earlier tonight. It's a white Volkswagen Crafter, an unusual looking van so please keep an eye out.

michael196 wrote: »
    just to clarify it it a 2011 model ? Scott change colors every year almost. Will keep an eye out. Not that many Scotts in the south east , so trying to sell it on, in the southeast, it should stand out. I own a scott myself. and have just been through getting my stolen mountain bike back, by the gardai in Crumlin.

mine turned up on done deal about 5 days after been stolen, but the picture was not of my bike but the description and the brand and model were correct. I think the thieves dont use the actual picture just to put u off, u think ''thats not my bike'' and move on in ur search. my advice is therefore search by make and model and not necessarily the picture.

I verified that it was mine by texting and asking where in dublin was the bike for sale an the thief answered with the area it was taken from. We set up to meet the thief to recover the bike but at that point handed the whole thing over to the garada who went in , in plain clothes and arrested the lads. 1 x 18 and 2 x 15 year olds.

watch the sites alright......probably a few days before they move to seel it on, dont give up hope and report it to the gardai. If the gaurds think its the latest in a string of robberies by the individual, they will be anxious to have something to arrest the thief redhanded with.

sites being used to sell off Stolen bikes are:

adverts, gumtree, donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A little tool which may come in handy if you're trying to keep an eye on classifieds sites:

http://www.google.com/alerts

Basically this is an automated web search which alerts you when there are new results for a given set of keywords. You can set up multiple alerts and have them all compiled into a feed (rather than an email for each alert), so on a daily basis or every couple of hours you can check the feed to see if there are any new results. Saves you having to do 20 google searches every day.

Also, since the alerts are compiled in chronological order, you don't have to trawl through ads which were posted six months ago.

To target a search at a particular site, just put "site:domain.com" in the search. So, if you created an alert with the keywords:

scott bike site:adverts.ie

The alert will tell you every time there's a new result containing the words "scott bike" on adverts.ie. This will let you focus the alerts so that you're not getting random blog posts by Scott from New York talking about how much he loves his bike.

Hope this helps someone track down their bike :)

seamus wrote: »
    A little tool which may come in handy if you're trying to keep an eye on classifieds sites:

Basically this is an automated web search which alerts you when there are new results for a given set of keywords. You can set up multiple alerts and have them all compiled into a feed (rather than an email for each alert), so on a daily basis or every couple of hours you can check the feed to see if there are any new results. Saves you having to do 20 google searches every day.

Also, since the alerts are compiled in chronological order, you don't have to trawl through ads which were posted six months ago.

To target a search at a particular site, just put "site:domain.com" in the search. So, if you created an alert with the keywords:

The alert will tell you every time there's a new result containing the words "scott bike" on adverts.ie. This will let you focus the alerts so that you're not getting random blog posts by Scott from New York talking about how much he loves his bike.

excellent help Seamus.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

seamus wrote: »

thats a cool piece of google kit right there :D
    ty

Advertisement