Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems in the Politics Forum

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I think the grouping of republican posters into this is just utter nonsense. It takes two to tango as they say, and I think the moderators know fine well that some of the unionists, left wing haters etc are just as bad in fact they are worse.

I could name 6 posters off the top of my head, one who has posted several times in this thread, who although their views are their entitlement, do their absolute best to bait, troll and derail ever single one of these threads. This also happens to a lesser extent on AH.

Now I can understand unionists doing so, but others basically just do so to reek havoc and derail discussion.

These posters seek a reaction, which is why several people sign up to respond to some of their choice comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

DB10 wrote: »
    I think the grouping of republican posters into this is just utter nonsense. It takes two to tango as they say, and I think the moderators know fine well that some of the unionists, left wing haters etc are just as bad in fact they are worse.

I could name 6 posters off the top of my head, one who has posted several times in this thread, who although their views are their entitlement, do their absolute best to bait, troll and derail ever single one of these threads. This also happens to a lesser extent on AH.

Now I can understand unionists doing so, but others basically just do so to reek havoc and derail discussion.

These posters seek a reaction, which is why several people sign up to respond to some of their choice comments.

Name them then, or put up man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I don't post in the politics forum anymore because I find that many of the mods are nobs. On one thread to do with the killing of a police officer in Omagh I called the dissident republican terrorists "scum" and I got a red card on my post even thought the rest of the post had some amount of content. Other mods are just plane biased and tend to take favour to posters who express the same political affiliation as them and more sternly to those who don't (and if you deny this you're just being plain naive).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I don't post in the politics forum anymore because I find that many of the mods are nobs. On one thread to do with the killing of a police officer in Omagh I called the dissident republican terrorists "scum" and I got a red card on my post even thought the rest of the post had some amount of content.

The rule relating to the word "scum" is quite unambiguous.

The rule relating to the word "scum" is quite unambiguous.
    If you find you absolutely cannot post without using the term 'scumbags' or 'scum', don't bother to post, because you'll find yourself infracted, or, in case of persistent offenders, banned. Those terms are now in the same penalty box as 'beards', 'teabaggers' etc

Right so even in the case of murderers?
    Thread derailing will be treated particularly harshly. If there's more than a couple of examples of a poster taking an unrelated thread and turning it into a public-versus-private / unionists-versus-nationalists / us-versus-them contest, that poster will be permabanned.

I'm sure there have many many many many examples since these rules were updated in 2006 (there certainly have since I joined a year ago) where threads have descended into the divisions I have underlines about (especially public -vs- private and unions -vs- everyone else) yet mods haven't dealt with them as swiftly or indeed at all. In fact some mods join in and take sides (not pointing at any mod in particular). Do the mods just pick and choose which rules to enforce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Right so even in the case of murderers?

Yes, even in the case of murderers.
    I'm sure there have many many many many examples since these rules were updated in 2006 (there certainly have since I joined a year ago) where threads have descended into the divisions I have underlines about (especially public -vs- private and unions -vs- everyone else) yet mods haven't dealt with them as swiftly or indeed at all. In fact some mods join in and take sides (not pointing at any mod in particular). Do the mods just pick and choose which rules to enforce?

If you think a thread is breaking the rules you should report a post in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

We aim for consistency, but we're only human.

humanly,
    Scofflaw

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Name them then, or put up man.
    Well obviously you are one of them and you know hence your cheeky reply.

I could name the rest but is there any point going down that road as it will achieve nothing. Only more goading from you and your ilk.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    We aim for consistency, but we're only human.

humanly,
    Scofflaw

If mods consistently violate particular articles of the charter they hold so dearly then the charter is worth nothing. There's a growing trend on boards.ie that the forum charter is applicable to everyone expect admins and mods.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a growing trend on boards.ie that the forum charter is applicable to everyone expect admins and mods.

Really? Which charters on which fora? I feel like I'm missing out on getting up to mischief, if every other mod is at it...

• Advertisement

Really? Which charters on which fora? I feel like I'm missing out on getting up to mischief, if every other mod is at it...

mods of their own respective forums, politics forum in particular - I've already outlined a case in a previous post on this thread ^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

DB10 wrote: »
    Well obviously you are one of them and you know hence your cheeky reply.

I could name the rest but is there any point going down that road as it will achieve nothing. Only more goading from you and your ilk.
    :eek:

Very aggressive post there.:(

I am permabanned from Politics but I would like to take part in the fora which surround the main Forum.The Economic and non-political ones.

Is there something wrong with hoping that I might be allowed to contribute there?

I put forward my point of view, no goading or trolling.

This has been misunderstood by people but I hope to convince people that my intentions are not to disrupt but to contribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Just to go back to this for a second, any word on the NI forum? Counted six discussions on issues relevant to NI on the main politics page there a while ago today. Lots of repeated threads on nationalism, Northern Ireland and so on sort of crowd out everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

later10 wrote: »
    Just to go back to this for a second, any word on the NI forum? Counted six discussions on issues relevant to NI on the main politics page there a while ago today. Lots of repeated threads on nationalism, Northern Ireland and so on sort of crowd out everything else.
    Is that relevant? Its Easter Weekend, it's basically an annual tradition to talk about Northern Ireland. For a minute there we had "Crowding" of Middle East threads like Libya, and Egypt. Nobody forces anybody to read any particular thread and if a thread you're interested in falls off the first page its only an extra click away. The Mods do merge threads/lock duplicate topics though, using good discretion. It doesn't indicate a strong need for a Northern Ireland, or a Middle East forum. I've even heard some discussion as to whether there's much point to the EU forum at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

gandalf wrote: »
    Who gives a damn. Religion has caused us nothing but grief on this island. Why worry about what the rules are for a figure head of state for another country who in actuality has no real power in that country and definitely no real power in this country bar maybe persuading some of those in their own country to come here as tourists if the visit is a success.
    Thread fail - nobody cares. Take it to boards.co.uk and you might find people who care

So that we can avoid having replies like this to a thread (that isn't to do with Republicanism in the Irish sense and an issue that has been picked up by UK independent today).

Boards.ie has Northern Ireland within the region forum so there is precedent, also there's USA politics forum and an EU one , though Mary Harney may have said we're closer to Boston than to Brussels I'd bet as a whole we're closer to Birmingham than either

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So that we can avoid having replies like this to a thread (that isn't to do with Republicanism in the Irish sense and an issue that has been picked up by UK independent today).

Boards.ie has Northern Ireland within the region forum so there is precedent, also there's USA politics forum and an EU one , though Mary Harney may have said we're closer to Boston than to Brussels I'd bet as a whole we're closer to Birmingham than either

Can you actually explain to me what your problem is with the reply I put in that thread?

Well my issue is with this part (probably shouldn't have put in rest of post sorry)

Why worry about what the rules are for a figure head of state for another country who in actuality has no real power in that country and definitely no real power in this country

This is an issue that is raised on occasion in discourse in the UK on occasion and with the media coverage of the Royal wedding it is off interest to people (8 hours of coverage of wedding on tv3 ffs!), your right she has no power in this country but due to the unwillingness to set up an appropriate sub-forum there is no better place to discuss it

What sub-forum. Are you saying that a discussion about the "Anti-catholism athe heart of the british royal family " is only at home in a currently non existent Northern Irish forum?

Is it the same for about discussions on the Royal Wedding in London?

I think your logic needs a bit of work ;)

Well you are the one who stated that there is no point in discussing the rules governing the appointment of the head of state of the UK in the main politics forum aren't you? I was suggesting that it would be more at home in a UK politics sub-forum if one existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The visit isn't a solely Northern Ireland issue, sure it's in Dublin and there are other reasons to oppose it.

I think what some are actually looking for is an Irish Republican forum, a completely different thing entirely and already catered for by a private forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Well you are the one who stated that there is no point in discussing the rules governing the appointment of the head of state of the UK in the main politics forum aren't you? I was suggesting that it would be more at home in a UK politics sub-forum if one existed.

No I wasn't, that's how it appears because you have taken my contribution to a totally different thread and twisted it to support your point of view.

My point in that thread was that the OP had an agenda in putting the thread up and I was countering that with my point of view. So we are now looking for a UK sub forum as well. That is the first I have heard about this.

We also have all the counties in Ireland with sub forums in Region are you now suggesting that we set up Politics sub forums for those as well?

So your saying because the poster had an agenda it shouldn't be discussed, because saying "Why worry about what the rules are for a figure head of state for another country who in actuality has no real power in that country and definitely no real power in this country" certainly comes across so or that you consider that the topic isn't worth discussion, if it has another meaning please enlighten me?
    gandalf wrote: »
    We also have all the counties in Ireland with sub forums in Region are you now suggesting that we set up Politics sub forums for those as well?

No I'm not these forum already handle many political issues relating to local councils, what I am suggesting is that as Boards.ie is an all Ireland entity, either NI/UK politics should not be considered of marginal interest or should be worthy of its own sub-forum so that UK citizens can debate issues such as their head of state.

So your saying because the poster had an agenda it shouldn't be discussed, because saying "Why worry about what the rules are for a figure head of state for another country who in actuality has no real power in that country and definitely no real power in this country" certainly comes across so or that you consider that the topic isn't worth discussion, if it has another meaning please enlighten me?

Again you are taking a reply to a totally different thread out of context. If you want to counter it discuss it in that thread on the politics forum. Also if you are going to quote my response quote the whole one and not the selective part that fits into your neat little pigeon hole.
    No I'm not these forum already handle many political issues relating to local councils, what I am suggesting is that as Boards.ie is an all Ireland entity, either NI/UK politics should not be considered of marginal interest or should be worthy of its own sub-forum so that UK citizens can debate issues such as their head of state.

So you are now saying that a UK forum would satisfy the calls for a Northern Ireland forum?

Well I was replying to this post and Overheals response
    Overheal wrote: »
    Is that relevant? Its Easter Weekend, it's basically an annual tradition to talk about Northern Ireland. For a minute there we had "Crowding" of Middle East threads like Libya, and Egypt. Nobody forces anybody to read any particular thread and if a thread you're interested in falls off the first page its only an extra click away. The Mods do merge threads/lock duplicate topics though, using good discretion. It doesn't indicate a strong need for a Northern Ireland, or a Middle East forum. I've even heard some discussion as to whether there's much point to the EU forum at this stage.

Stating that some posters such as yourself don't consider UK politics worth discussion on the main page, and yes I would support a UK sub-forum that was included NI assembly etc discussions, obviously some NI politics have an all Ireland impact but not threads such as these.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=71810038

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056239476

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056241751

And yes I did reply in thread about why I thought it was valid political issue, I was simply using your post as an example of how some posters don't consider UK politics of worthwhile discussion to which you appear to have taken offense for some reason, without actually showing how I've misinterpreted your lack of interest in issues relating to the UK head of state due to it being "the figure head of state for another country"
    This is probably clogging this thread now anyway.

And yes I did reply in thread about why I thought it was valid political issue, I was simply using your post as an example of how some posters don't consider UK politics of worthwhile discussion to which you appear to have taken offense for some reason, without actually showing how I've misinterpreted your lack of interest in issues relating to the UK head of state due to it being "the figure head of state for another country"
    This is probably clogging this thread now anyway.

Again you are misquoting me to suit your agenda. My complete post is in that thread and is in context in that thread and should be read there. Please stop misrepresenting my views by selectively quoting snippets of my post. I take offence quite rightly to anyone misrepresenting my views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Overheal wrote: »
    Is that relevant? Its Easter Weekend, it's basically an annual tradition to talk about Northern Ireland. For a minute there we had "Crowding" of Middle East threads like Libya, and Egypt. Nobody forces anybody to read any particular thread and if a thread you're interested in falls off the first page its only an extra click away.
    Jeez, relax. I literally just asked for an update on the NI forum. It has been a topic of discussion instigated by politics moderators themselves, as far as I recall. I joined this site five months ago, so deepest apologies to you for not being aware of the boards.ie easter tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wholey Unrelated Arguments, Batman!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I'd rather if nonsense threads like this simply didn't exist instead of being tucked away in a sub-forum. Even a cursory glance at the last few pages shows that it has long since drifted off-topic and that the level of discourse couldn't possibly be lower. But then again we'd miss out on gems such as the endless Island of Ireland versus British Isles rubbish. I must say, though, that it's a welcome change to see that most of the regulars who inhabit such threads seem to have taken to After Hours with their pseudo-political, vitriolic guff.

As an aside, is there any update at all on the impending (?) changes to the Politics forums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

K-9 wrote: »
    I think what some are actually looking for is an Irish Republican forum, a completely different thing entirely and already catered for by a private forum.

Really? I haven't gotten that impression at all. Like as you said there's a private forum for that so what would be the need?

Furthermore some republicans have objected to the idea in its entirety because of its partitionist nature. When I had the forum as a sig one made a smug remark about me over it.

Advertisement