Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein proposing a United Ireland referendum...

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-13117696

Ok, now before anyone labels me or says anything, I am not an ardent hater of SF (I don't like them at all, but I don't utterly detest them like so many. I would vote for them before FF, given the choice.)

Secondly, I do want a United Ireland, I want it just as much as any nationalist. I dearly hope to see such a thing in my lifetime.

HOWEVER.

Are they insane? Could you possible say "bad timing" any louder? Who the HELL would vote to become part of this state at this moment in time, when we're hovering on the brink of bankruptcy and saddled with debts which are going to hamper any chances of prosperity for the next few years?

What the hell are SF thinking? They could even wait 2 or 3 years before proposing this and the country will probably be in a much better condition than it is now, but today, it reads like "Hey, our ship is looking very likely to sink within the next couple of years, want to leave your ship which is relatively stable and try your luck on ours?!"

Who's ridiculous idea was this manifesto and how soon will they be fired by SF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Extra bad timing since it's pretty much guaranteed to fail and it will be a long time before another is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Ok, now before anyone labels me or says anything, I am not an ardent hater of SF (I don't like them at all, but I don't utterly detest them like so many. I would vote for them before FF, given the choice.)

Secondly, I do want a United Ireland, I want it just as much as any nationalist. I dearly hope to see such a thing in my lifetime.

HOWEVER.

Are they insane? Could you possible say "bad timing" any louder? Who the HELL would vote to become part of this state at this moment in time, when we're hovering on the brink of bankruptcy and saddled with debts which are going to hamper any chances of prosperity for the next few years?

What the hell are SF thinking? They could even wait 2 or 3 years before proposing this and the country will probably be in a much better condition than it is now, but today, it reads like "Hey, our ship is looking very likely to sink within the next couple of years, want to leave your ship which is relatively stable and try your luck on ours?!"

It could be a result of secret talks with dissident republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

A referendum will only be called if the ni secretary believes that the majorty of people in northern ireland want a united Ireland and as things stand that's not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Who the HELL would vote to become part of this state at this moment in time, when we're hovering on the brink of bankruptcy and saddled with debts which are going to hamper any chances of prosperity for the next few years?

Referendum proposed and promptly voted down. Result - SF get to spend the next decade blaming "unionist intransigence" for the failure to achieve a UI, whereas without a referendum, their voters might start wondering about the lack of progress to a UI.

Remember, were a UI ever delivered on, SF would be looking for votes on the basis of their economic policies and even they must suspect they'd face an uphill battle with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i dont think its a bad time. If the result is good it will be in there favor. If the result is bad it will send out a message to the dissidents.

Quite cleaver if you ask me.

Also.. I think the referendum should be called now to happen in 2016. The 100 anniversary of 1916.

That gives us 4 years to recover and if we have not we are all fooked. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Will never happen. So a waste of time by SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It could be a result of secret talks with dissident republicans.

"Dissident republicans" dont' and won't have any say. They are involved in no democratic process given their ignorance of what the people on this island already voted for.

Besides, as far as the Republic of Ireland is concerned, a United Ireland is the least of its worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Oh what a day that would be if it came about :cool::)

Pity English and we can't vote in that,Ireland would be united with their help :P

Orange does not want a UI. Perhaps if Gerry was to focus on more important things for the normal person on the street, SF might get a bit more respect.

JustinDee wrote: »
    "Dissident republicans" dont' and won't have any say. They are involved in no democratic process given their ignorance of what the people on this island already voted for.

Besides, as far as the Republic of Ireland is concerned, a United Ireland is the least of its worries.

What would the north be worth to the republic? And how good would the whole country together be worth in economic stand point.
    Probably worth more to us all together than apart.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Orange does not want a UI. Perhaps if Gerry was to focus on more important things for the normal person on the street, SF might get a bit more respect.

Tuff with all due respect,if it gets voted that way accept and lets make it a great country all together :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think it's a splendid idea, forgo the vote and give the Queen a res in the Pheonix park and we'll have a united ireland within Britain by the time she's finished visiting the leprechaun museum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I don't want a UI at all!

we are struggling enough as a country as it is.Drama would start all over again, and there would always be some sort of trouble over the decision if we were to become a UI.

We just don't have the money!

caseyann wrote: »
    Tuff with all due respect,if it gets voted that way accept and lets make it a great country all together :D
    You forget, it can't because the majority of PUL don't want it. Thats the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You have made it quite clear you have no respect for gerry adams in the past so you cant really say you will ever respect him if he focuses on more important things.

Also if you follow politics close you will see a united ireland is actually in his constitution so he is carry out exactly what he intended to do.

Off course with absolute total respect to you its highly unlightly you will support the motion especially as you are an "ulster scott" as pointed out in your signature.

Do you not agree it would be far better to debate its possibility and the orange reasoning then to just appose it.

Just as much as debating this i have an open enough mind to debate ireland rejoining the commonwealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

What would the north be worth to the republic? And how good would the whole country together be worth in economic stand point.
    Probably worth more to us all together than apart.

no, it would cost us a fortune, and be the final nail on our coffin financially.

We can't afford the north, simply can't.

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I don't want a UI at all!

we are struggling enough as a country as it is.Drama would start all over again, and there would always be some sort of trouble over the decision if we were to become a UI.

We just don't have the money!

A United Ireland would be great for the economy and for the people.They have alot to offer us and we them.
    Sure have enough money to pay out for lizzy to come etc... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why not?

zuroph wrote: »
    no, it would cost us a fortune, and be the final nail on our coffin financially.

We can't afford the north, simply can't.

Wrong if you look at the what we have in combined resources and trade and it would be a boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

and their massive social welfare bill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Kaka10

A United Ireland would be great for the economy and for the people.They have alot to offer us and we them.
    Sure have enough money to pay out for lizzy to come etc... :rolleyes:

I get the distinct feeling that you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I don't even think its worth debating with someone who genuinely believes that the financial strain of an united Ireland is even comparable to the financial costs of the Queen's visit.

Ireland united would possibly be the straw that broke the camel's already extraordinarily fragile back. It is never, ever going to happen in the current economic climate and mercifully so in the opinion of anyone who has foresight beyond mindless, nationalistic drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

And what happens if the Unionist community vote 100% against and the referendum is still passed? Now that the Armalite has failed will we try to bludgeon them into a UI against their will using the ballot box?

Democracy is not the tyranny of the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Year Unionism Nationalism Margin

2003 342907 280305 62602
    2007 335888 293767 42121
    2011 329000? 307000? 22000 ?

The occupation of the six counties has a decade or two only left. If we can wait 8 centuries that time will fly by ;)

Year Unionism Nationalism Margin

2003 342907 280305 62602
    2007 335888 293767 42121
    2011 329000? 307000? 22000?

The occupation of the six counties has a decade or two only left. If we can wait 8 centuries that time will fly by ;)
    Deary me...

Like that matters, one bit. How many Unionists voted in the last general election?

HOWEVER.

I don't normally reply in bold, but and in fairness to the OP, the headline is misleading, SF haven't said that they want the referendum on a UI at some specific time in the next say, 6 or 12 months ??

As for the rest of their proposals, I think thier reasonable enough i.e. The party is also proposing a referendum on a new all-Ireland constitution, and wants people in Northern Ireland to be allowed to vote in Irish presidential elections. It calls for tax-varying and borrowing powers to be transferred to Stormont, and cross-border tax harmonisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Deary me...

Like that matters, one bit. How many Unionists voted in the last general election?
    It would be fair to say that those from the unionist tradition who didnt bother to vote are probably indifferent to a united Ireland.
    Can you call someone a unionist if they dont vote for a unionist party?

Deary me...

:D Deary me, only unionism could come out with how people vote in elections does not " Like that matters, one bit. " :D If it was a rising unionist vote poulation and a declining nationalist one, you wouldn't be able to stop crowing. Wise up for God's sake.

2010 – ( Westminister) Unionists 50.6% Nationalists 41.9%
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/election/electsum.htm

It would be fair to say that those from the unionist tradition who didnt bother to vote are probably indifferent to a united Ireland.
    Can you call someone a unionist if they dont vote for a unionist party?
    You see in discussions like this, the unionists try to fool themselves that their is some secret community of unionists who will be spurned into life and rush out to save their precious wee Ulster.

Kaka10 wrote: »
    I get the distinct feeling that you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I don't even think its worth debating with someone who genuinely believes that the financial strain of an united Ireland is even comparable to the financial costs of the Queen's visit.

Ireland united would possibly be the straw that broke the camel's already extraordinarily fragile back. It is never, ever going to happen in the current economic climate and mercifully so in the opinion of anyone who has foresight beyond mindless, nationalistic drivel.

Nice user name goes with the post ;):D

• Advertisement

:D Deary me, only unionism could come out with how people vote in elections does not " Like that matters, one bit. " :D If it was a rising unionist vote poulation and a declining nationalist one, you wouldn't be able to stop crowing. Wise up for God's sake.

2010 – ( Westminister) Unionists 50.6% Nationalists 41.9%
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/election/electsum.htm
    We aren't talking about general elections though. We are talking about a vote on a UI. You would see so many more PUL coming out to vote against it. Thats the point im trying to make.

Most PUL are only interested in being in the UK.

Advertisement