Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Modem huawei 173 €9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

Have other people fatcheese.ie accounts tracked their meteor purchase ?

Mine has not and neither has my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Fistycuffs wrote: »
    Have other people fatcheese.ie accounts tracked their meteor purchase ?

Mine has not and neither has my friends.

Taken from my fatcheese account webpage...

Date Retailer Status Cashback Est. Award date
    01 Apr 2011 Meteor Pending €20.00 Jun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ditto

Date Retailer Status Cashback Est. Award date 29 Mar 2011 Meteor Pending €20.00 Jun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Not so good an offer anymore..
    €10.00 Cashback when you take out Mobile Broadband on prepay
    Please note: there is no cashback currently available for Mobile Broadband on Bill Pay

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/meteor/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Same here, 20quid coming in June!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Not so good an offer anymore..

Ya they appear to have copped on unfortunately, still though it's a free modem plus a euro for your troubles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Ya they appear to have copped on unfortunately, still though it's a free modem plus a euro for your troubles!

3 Euro credit on the sim card aswell :)

Probally a silly question but is it possible to top up by 20 euro, get BB for a month, and use get free meteor texts for a month if you put this into a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

m4r10 wrote: »
    I created a new profile with the settings suggested by you, but still no connection.

PS:
    After more research, the APN should be "internet" only. It works now.
    Thanks again.

I have followed the instruction to unlock my dongle but it doesn't seem to have worked... or at least after I insert the vodafone sim and plug it in it is recognised but when I try to connect I get an error message saying to change my settings.

I have looked through the settings. I presume the APN you mention is under Connections > Properties>Properties>3G ?

How did you alter the settings ?
    In mine it's greyed out and I can't change it from broadband.mymeteor.ie .

Also if you unlock can you use a microsim in the dongle or will it only take larger sims?

Any help would be hugely appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I have followed the instruction to unlock my dongle but it doesn't seem to have worked... or at least after I insert the vodafone sim and plug it in it is recognised but when I try to connect I get an error message saying to change my settings.

I have looked through the settings. I presume the APN you mention is under Connections > Properties>Properties>3G ?

How did you alter the settings ?
    In mine it's greyed out and I can't change it from broadband.mymeteor.ie .

Also if you unlock can you use a microsim in the dongle or will it only take larger sims?

Any help would be hugely appreciated

On mine, the settings page looks like this, but I changed the APN from open.internet to internet:

O2.JPG

If you have the options greyed out, I'd say the dongle is still locked.

Thank you M4r10 for posting that.

I managed to access the settings to change them but even after changing to "internet" and "open.internet" it still is not working.

Is there any other setting I might be missing out on? Do I need to put in a phone number or Pin number etc?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Whimsical did you not say you were using a vodafone sim?
    If so then the APN you need is:
    live.vodafone.com

Whimsical did you not say you were using a vodafone sim?
    If so then the APN you need is:
    live.vodafone.com

Thanks dabbler the suggestion is appreciated.

Yup I am using a vodafone sim. I tried that apn too but it didn't work either. I am able to get texts via the vodafone sim on it and send them. Does that mean that it's properly unlocked?

Is there any other setting I should be changing other than the apn?
    Also can you use a micro sim in these dongles?

Thanks

If you refer back to M4r10's post with the screenshots try changing the PDP setting from IP to PPP.
    I would think it's unlocked if you send/receive vodafone texts.
    Sorry but haven't a clue about micro sims, I see you posted a query in the Midband forum, if you ask the guys over there about micro they may be able to help.
    Also Vodafone have their own forum here too.

Thanks dabbler the suggestion is appreciated.

Yup I am using a vodafone sim. I tried that apn too but it didn't work either. I am able to get texts via the vodafone sim on it and send them. Does that mean that it's properly unlocked?

Is there any other setting I should be changing other than the apn?
    Also can you use a micro sim in these dongles?

Thanks

I missed the part where you mention the vodafone sim! As far as I remember, the settings were exactly the same, apart from the APN, so Ididn't change anything else. You can try though to change some settings as suggested by dabbler2004, as you can always delete that profile and start afresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

If you refer back to M4r10's post with the screenshots try changing the PDP setting from IP to PPP.
    I would think it's unlocked if you send/receive vodafone texts.
    Sorry but haven't a clue about micro sims, I see you posted a query in the Midband forum, if you ask the guys over there about micro they may be able to help.
    Also Vodafone have their own forum here too.
    m4r10 wrote: »
    I missed the part where you mention the vodafone sim! As far as I remember, the settings were exactly the same, apart from the APN, so Ididn't change anything else. You can try though to change some settings as suggested by dabbler2004, as you can always delete that profile and start afresh.

Thank you both for the responses. I have tried an O2 sim tonight and a vodafone sim in conjunction with what should be the correct settings for each. I had no luck with either. I'm thinking it just doesn't like me. :(
    Or it isn't properly unlocked!

If there are any suggestions please add them.
    Thanks again.:)

You can order another one and get €1 back plus €3 credit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Thanks again.:)

if using the vodafone sim you could try download the vodafone connection software

http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/laptop_connectivity/40_software/software/10_latest/p_pc.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

:( has gone up to €15

Thanks Ghost Train. I tried that and it worked. However having both meteor and vodafone software installed at the same time caused computer consternation.I found that while I had the Vodafone software installed the Meteor software would not recognize my meteor SIM at all and saw it as a Vodafone SIM so it wouldn't work. In the end I uninstalled both softwares and reinstalled the meteor one.

According to speedtest the meteor service is at least twice as fast as the vodafone offering. I think I might just sit quietly now and not worry about unlocking anymore...or for a little while anyway. :)
    Thanks Ghost Train and everyone else for the helpful suggestions .:)

• Advertisement

Are APN settings only visible/accessible after unlocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

If I unlock this, can I use it foreign in Spain in the same way as here? Would I have to buy a spanish sim or does meteor allow roaming mobile broadband?

Tinie wrote: »
    If I unlock this, can I use it foreign in Spain in the same way as here? Would I have to buy a spanish sim or does meteor allow roaming mobile broadband?

I think the answer to both your questions is yes afaik, and meteor have roaming agreements with the likes of vodaphone etc.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Are APN settings only visible/accessible after unlocking.

As far as I know they are available even when locked, I'll double check tomorrow and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Using this now, top notch.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭elaicah

got this also for €9 - the €20 has already been added to my fatcheese account and I also got €3 free credit on the sim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭buzztastic

old thread but does anyone know if fatcheese are still doing cashback for this modem? the modem is 10 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

buzztastic wrote: »
    old thread but does anyone know if fatcheese are still doing cashback for this modem? the modem is 10 euro

It would appear they are yes
    See how much cashback you can earn at Meteor:
    Please place separate orders if ordering multiple items
    €40.00 Cashback when you take out a new Bill Pay contract
    Please note: there is no cashback currently available if you are moving from Meteor PAYG to Bill Pay and are required to go in-store
    €10.00 Cashback when you take out Mobile Broadband on prepay
    Please note: there is no cashback currently available for Mobile Broadband on Bill Pay
    €15.00 Cashback on new Pay As You Go purchases
    €10.00 Cashback when you take out a new SIM Only contract on Bill Pay
    €5.00 Cashback on Pay As You Go upgrades
    Please note: there is no cashback currently available for upgrades on Bill Pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭buzztastic

great thanks, thats a free modem then essentialy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭podge3

buzztastic wrote: »
    great thanks, thats a free modem then essentialy.
    I would be VERY wary of assuming that you will definitely get money back through Fatcheese.

If everything goes OK, then you will get the cash back - eventually.

But if something goes wrong then FC have no customer service at all. I am waiting since last August for a response to a ticket I opened. I also opened another for a different purchase recently and there is just no reply.

So FC is a nice bonus if it works but don't buy something on the assumption that you will definitely get that money back.

Advertisement