Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Modem huawei 173 €9

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Oh right, because when I used the fatcheese site to order those €10 meteor phones a few weeks ago, I had to enter the code in the fatcheese site after ordering, but I cant seem to find that section now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Oh right, because when I used the fatcheese site to order those €10 meteor phones a few weeks ago, I had to enter the code in the fatcheese site after ordering, but I cant seem to find that section now.

Wait a coupel of hours, meteor should show up in the "Summary" page of fatcheese and you might get a verify transaction link (that happen to me too before).

If the meteor purchase does not show up in either "Summary" or "Statement" in a few days make sure that you can see your click in "My Clicks" and than submit a claim.

I have noticed that shopping at several retailers like House of Fraser, Debenhams usualy does not show up so I have several Claims pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Using mine now,its no worse than my O2 dongle.In fact at the moment its actually a little quicker.Hopefully it stays that way,thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

error

think there was a free way to do it, posted in the 3 thread a month or two back

edit: here it is
    worked for me
    http://www.ruchirablog.com/guide-unlock-huawei-hsdpa-modem-free/

Only the E172 is listed there:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

@danjo-xx PM me if you are interested in unlocking this dongle

ecomac wrote: »
    @danjo-xx PM me if you are interested in unlocking this dongle

I got your pm, thanks, but no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DC-Unlocker unlock all the Meteor dongle models for €4 each.

http://www.dc-unlocker.com/

Here's their prices.

http://www.dc-unlocker.com/buy/user_prices

Never had a problem with them, quick and straightforward.

Huawei are slow to pull their finger out with Windows 7 (particularly 64bit). I've had trouble with anything below or at the E180.. No issues with the Huawei E182, works fine.

Any of the dongles work fine with the latest Mint\Ubuntu (Linux) etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Only the E172 is listed there:confused:

I've only tried it with an E1550, not with the one in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I've only tried it with an E1550, not with the one in this thread

Don't worry it works fine witn this model. To the other poster in general don't pay much attention to compatibility lists on blog posts you can't expect them to maintain accurate or exhaustive lists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Guessed that, cheers for confirming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Unlocked using http://www.bb5.at/huawei.php?imei=XXXXXXXXXX replacing the X's with my modems IMEI and the s/w linked in an earlier post.

My desktop didn't have the drivers for the modem but my laptop installed them fine using Windows Update and both running Win7 x86. I did install Meteors s/w which comes on the device in case that had the drivers.

Tested my PAYG vodafone sim and it worked. Hopefully my credit hasn't been wiped out. You wouldn't know with them.

And now my SIM won't work in my phone...... Yikes!

[EDIT] - Fixed - Putting the SIM in the right way round helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

How does PAYG work. If I top up by say €10 do I have a certain time limit to use it or can I take as long as I like/need.

Cheers Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Kat1170 wrote: »
    How does PAYG work. If I top up by say €10 do I have a certain time limit to use it or can I take as long as I like/need.

Cheers Joe

Going by an earlier post, with Meteor you can pay daily, weekly or monthly and the data limits arent bad. I just used my vodafone phone sim so I am expecting to pay 99c for todays data use. The data limit using vodaphone PAYG is crap, something like 50mb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is there a browser or firefox extension for example that allows you to view webpages in mobile formats? This would be handy as it would let you view far more pages and not use up data as quick.

Thanks

@tinie You can install opera mini and use that use microemu to run the jar from opera.com http://microemu.org/

Alternatively use firefox addons useragent switcher to spoof a phone user agent and xhtml mobile profile to view the xhtml

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

anyone checked if there is any free usage limit with this sim (there was free 1GB with three offer back in january)?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Ordered yesterday. Arrived today. Thanks OP.

m4rkiz wrote: »
    anyone checked if there is any free usage limit with this sim (there was free 1GB with three offer back in january)?

Theres none.

Unlocked for free using the guide and windows unlocking tool from earlier in the thread, with the codegen url.

My Meteor reception is so bad I got 1 bar of GPRS that would refuse to connect.

But an modern modem for €10 that I got unlocked for free. BARGAIN

Thanks OP!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Thanks OP!

I received it today, unlocked it and with an O2 sim card I have 100% signal. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

think there was a free way to do it, posted in the 3 thread a month or two back

edit: here it is
    worked for me
    http://www.ruchirablog.com/guide-unlock-huawei-hsdpa-modem-free/
    That only goes up to E172, does it work on the E173? Mine doesnt but Im on Win7 64 bit and its always been a bit weird.

Thargor wrote: »
    That only goes up to E172, does it work on the E173? Mine doesnt but Im on Win7 64 bit and its always been a bit weird.

As it was mentioned in a previous post, it works. Mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Has anyone got their €20 cashback yet

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Received mine today from Meteor and i have it unlocked using the above site. Very easy to do and follow. Great Bargain! :D

I might have spoken too quickly when I said I managed to unlock mine. I followed up the procedure from that site and when I insert an O2 sim in the dongle, it is recognized and shows 100% signal, but I get an error when trying to connect to the internet. At least with the provided Meteor sim I can connect. Would the dongle recognize the O2 sim if it wasn't unlocked? Is there any other way to check is it's unlocked?

m4r10 wrote: »
    I might have spoken too quickly when I said I managed to unlock mine. I followed up the procedure from that site and when I insert an O2 sim in the dongle, it is recognized and shows 100% signal, but I get an error when trying to connect to the internet. At least with the provided Meteor sim I can connect. Would the dongle recognize the O2 sim if it wasn't unlocked? Is there any other way to check is it's unlocked?

You need to create a new o2 profile in the Broadband To Go program settings, and use the o2 APN because that dialer software will still try to connect to broadband.mymeteor.ie instead of open.internet.

breathn wrote: »
    You need to create a new o2 profile in the Broadband To Go program settings, and use the o2 APN because that dialer software will still try to connect to broadband.mymeteor.ie instead of open.internet.

Thanks. Any idea from where can I get all the necessary settings?

m4r10 wrote: »
    Thanks. Any idea from where can I get all the necessary settings?

The only setting I needed was when I clicked around to create the new profile, I set my apn to open.internet in one of the property boxes. That was it. I could connect then. I'm not near a windows machine so I can't remember where the setting is, but it's in there somewhere.

• Advertisement

breathn wrote: »
    The only setting I needed was when I clicked around to create the new profile, I set my apn to open.internet in one of the property boxes. That was it. I could connect then. I'm not near a windows machine so I can't remember where the setting is, but it's in there somewhere.

I created a new profile with the settings suggested by you, but still no connection.

PS:
    After more research, the APN should be "internet" only. It works now.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement