Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'll be watching with great interest to see how he gets on in Glasgow. Reportedly will be making his debut against Leinster at the RDS.

A 75kg bloke who took up rugby 18 months ago and has only played the 15 man game at local club level in the USA. I would say the likes of McFadden will be licking his lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

It wouldn't surprise me if London Irish are offering great contracts to Irish players. The head of the new consortium said they wanted to bring in more Irish faces. It might not be the worst thing for the national team if there's another side around willing to give a shot to Irish/IQ players.

I mean, traditionally it worked out that that was the only 'foreign' club we drew our player pool from. Seems like the new guy wants to get things back to that. It'd be great to have a sort of 5th province to choose from. I'm delighted for Griffs. Shrewd move on his part as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Buer wrote: »
    A 75kg bloke who took up rugby 18 months ago and has only played the 15 man game at local club level in the USA. I would say the likes of McFadden will be licking his lips.

It didn't do Nigel Walker any harm!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It didn't do Nigel Walker any harm!

Ah yeah but Walker was Welsh. He grew up playing the game and played representative rugby up until leaving school. He was in the Welsh schools squad. Isles is a complete novice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Matt Stevens going home and joining the Sharks at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

Matt Stevens going home and joining the Sharks at the end of the season.

Was once a genuinely very good player before injury, suspension and the general cluster f*ck that was Bath ruined him. He could have been a legend for England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It wouldn't surprise me if London Irish are offering great contracts to Irish players. The head of the new consortium said they wanted to bring in more Irish faces. It might not be the worst thing for the national team if there's another side around willing to give a shot to Irish/IQ players.

They've six IQ guys for next season now I think

Hagan Court O'leary Humphries Sheridan Griffin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Michael Keating also rumoured to be heading to London Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hype710 wrote: »
    Michael Keating also rumoured to be heading to London Irish.

Good for him. Was he on the SCT team that Belvedere won with Tom Sexton as captain?

Morf wrote: »
    Good for him. Was he on the SCT team that Belvedere won with Tom Sexton as captain?

I believe so.

It's great that there's another top flight team that will have a backbone of Irish players, allowing them exposure to a decent level.

However, I do wonder if they'll continue to be a top flight side. No offence but these guys they're signing are not exactly the cream of the crop and LI are already near the bottom of the table. They'll need a few more experienced heads in the set up to steady the ship, I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Buer wrote: »
    I believe so.

It's great that there's another top flight team that will have a backbone of Irish players, allowing them exposure to a decent level.

However, I do wonder if they'll continue to be a top flight side. No offence but these guys they're signing are not exactly the cream of the crop and LI are already near the bottom of the table. They'll need a few more experienced heads in the set up to steady the ship, I would think.

London Irish are looking at increasing their popularity with local Irish people around London which has fallen off, altho i personally think results are the main factor their as well! I agree with the comment on experience, their signing lads to replace the likes of Marland Yarde & JOC, who himself is relatively inexperienced but and international at the same time, and their just not to that standard. Isn't looking good for LI's future

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Steve Perchance

Kockott has decided that he's really going to stay with Castres for definite this time - http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2013-14/rugby/story/215283.html

That article also suggests Gio Aplon to Grenoble.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lyon have confirmed the signing of George Smith. That's a serious statement of intent for next season when they should be in the Top14.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Beadyeye

Morf wrote: »

No, he was the Batman ;)

George Smith signing for Pro D2 side Lyon on 2 year deal

Charl McLeod going to Grenoble. Experienced competition for James Hart next season!

It's reported that Fabien Barcella is going to Toulon next year. He was rated as one of the best looseheads in the world a few years ago until a bad run of injuries struck.

London Irish are continuing their recruitment drive, Luke Narraway has signed. They're building a decent enough squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

London Irish are continuing their recruitment drive, Luke Narraway has signed. They're building a decent enough squad.

New Irish backers are living up to promises, they have even been getting results since new takeover, weeding out the bad influences and starting to build a team. Think Eoin Griffin has been their best signing. Big move for him. Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Charl McLeod going to Grenoble. Experienced competition for James Hart next season!

Heard rumour a couple of players in the AIL were being looked at by Grenoble.

I guess this is something we can expect more, lads who play U20's but dont get academy contracts will look to be picked up elsewhere.

Keating to LI would be a great move for him. It was really a case of him or Dave Kearney at Leinster and he chose to move on.

• Advertisement

bamboozle wrote: »
    Heard rumour a couple of players in the AIL were being looked at by Grenoble.

I guess this is something we can expect more, lads who play U20's but dont get academy contracts will look to be picked up elsewhere.

Keating to LI would be a great move for him. It was really a case of him or Dave Kearney at Leinster and he chose to move on.

Your very own Mick McGrath must surely be one of those!! Wouldn't be outta place there at all! Would think Charlie Butterworth, John Quill, Mark Roche are being considered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Your very own Mick McGrath must surely be one of those!! Wouldn't be outta place there at all! Would think Charlie Butterworth, John Quill, Mark Roche are being considered.....

Was surprised Mark Roche hasdn't went on somewhere. Was even more surprised when Connacht didn't offer him a spot after him being down there.

Although many say he turned down pro/academy contracts because they wouldn't give him a Dave McSharry type contract. Train with Connacht/Munster 60/70 percent of the week but still train 30/40 percent of the time and turn out for Lansdowne each week unless in the provincial 23.

Which I think is ludicrous if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Was surprised Mark Roche hasdn't went on somewhere. Was even more surprised when Connacht didn't offer him a spot after him being down there.

Although many say he turned down pro/academy contracts because they wouldn't give him a Dave McSharry type contract. Train with Connacht/Munster 60/70 percent of the week but still train 30/40 percent of the time and turn out for Lansdowne each week unless in the provincial 23.

Which I think is ludicrous if true.

Mark Roche is great going forward but a poor defender against big lads. Niall kennealy of con made hay with landsdowne's midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭blackdog1

It's reported that Fabien Barcella is going to Toulon next year. He was rated as one of the best looseheads in the world a few years ago until a bad run of injuries struck.

He was a pure power prop and had the worst injury for that type of player..achilles tendon. Hasn't been the same since. Was another oliver miloud type scrummager until it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He's going to freeze his brass monkeys off waiting for the ball in Scotstoun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

you might be on the money...I'd certainly rate McGrath up there with a number of wingers getting game time for the provinces, given his age a 2 year development contract is a no brainer at one of the provinces.

all the above are well able for a move to a professional set up.

the likes of David Joyce also.

Danny Kenny formerly of UCD moving from London Irish to Doncaster, hope to see him progress, I think ex Ulster prop Jerry Cronin is still there.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/rugby-union/doncaster-knights-sign-london-irish-flanker-danny-kenny-1-6426133

Gloucester are after Laidlaw: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9194409,00.html

It looks like yet another big name is leaving the Pro12.

Laidlaw confirmed by Gloucester
    http://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/9760.php

Comments from Davies seem to indicate that they're looking at him very much as a 10, but aren't Glaws losing both Cowan and Knoyle this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Laidlaw confirmed by Gloucester
    http://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/9760.php

Comments from Davies seem to indicate that they're looking at him very much as a 10, but aren't Glaws losing both Cowan and Knoyle this summer?

He'll be replacing Freddie Burns. Not sure what they're going to do at 9!

Advertisement