Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RugbyMad2011

ormond lad wrote: »
    You can imagine more than previous years, the only players i know at the moment that will be going to the irish trials are 3 of the buccaneers players who were in the connacht squad (seen this on twitter)

Where did you see this on twitter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Where did you see this on twitter ?
    Sorry, i was wrong there is 3 galwegians lads going to irish u20s trials this week... wrong club and wrong age group :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RugbyMad2011

Any news on the trials yet? where abouts on twitter did you hear about the U.20s ?:)

Any news on the trials yet? where abouts on twitter did you hear about the U.20s ?:)
    Nothing yet on who is near irish youths yet, iirc from previous years the initial sessions for irish youths are in early december so it might be a while yet before someone will hear anything, though someone will probably hear something before that.
    It was @Galwegians_RFC on twitter where i saw it mentioned about the 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

Nothing yet on who is near irish youths yet, iirc from previous years the initial sessions for irish youths are in early december so it might be a while yet before someone will hear anything, though someone will probably hear something before that.
    It was @Galwegians_RFC on twitter where i saw it mentioned about the 20s
    heard on the rumour mill, guys will have an idea who is in in 2 weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mudfest

The players have been picked for those, the lads have been notified if they have made it to the trials already I believe in the last few days. I don't know how many munster lads got in there, but hope the lads that were not picked for them aren't too disappointed, and that they remain very proud of their achievements to date

Mudfest wrote: »
    The players have been picked for those, the lads have been notified if they have made it to the trials already I believe in the last few days. I don't know how many munster lads got in there, but hope the lads that were not picked for them aren't too disappointed, and that they remain very proud of their achievements to date
    afaik there is at least 7 from munster in the squad with 1 more from munster def on the standby list

Did your club man make it into the initial squad, do you know?, Would obviously be interested to know who made it, but am sure that would only lead to more debate, think you gauged around that number alright, and if you do know the kids, would you after seeing the games concur?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

How many in the squad in total?

Did your club man make it into the initial squad, do you know?, Would obviously be interested to know who made it, but am sure that would only lead to more debate, think you gauged around that number alright, and if you do know the kids, would you after seeing the games concur?
    profitius wrote: »
    How many in the squad in total?
    Mudfest afaik he didnt make the squad but prob didnt as he was injured and missed 2 of the interpro games. Again afaik there is 7 munster players from what ive heard in the squad with another on standby. there prob is more involved than that.
    The only other player ive heard to be involved is the leinster captain from birr peter dooley

• Advertisement

I ment how many players there are in total in the Irish squad. I should have made it clearer.

Btw, OL, do you know what positions the Munster lads play?

I ment how many players there are in total in the Irish squad. I should have made it clearer.

Btw, OL, do you know what positions the Munster lads play?
    Im not sure how many in total are in the squad.
    1 of the 2nd rows made it, the no 8 and no 7 made it and 3 or 4 outside backs made it

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

Im not sure how many in total are in the squad.
    1 of the 2nd rows made it, the no 8 and no 7 made it and 3 or 4 outside backs made it
    any of the wingers make it?

I could be wrong, but one of the centres and the two wings from say the Ulster game got picked from the backs that is as much as I have been told

I could be wrong, but one of the centres and the two wings from say the Ulster game got picked from the backs that is as much as I have been told
    The hooker, and no 8 that day have also been picked. Will be interesting to see who else has been picked and how many from each province as well as how many exiles are chosen

The hooker, and no 8 that day have also been picked. Will be interesting to see who else has been picked and how many from each province as well as how many exiles are chosen

Is that seven in total so, 2, 5, 7, 8 and the three in the backs?

Is that seven in total so, 2, 5, 7, 8 and the three in the backs?
    yes 7 in total that i know there may be more but i doubt it. according to someone on twitter who's brother is in the squad. a squad of 35 has been picked and there is 10 from leinster in the 35

yes 7 in total that i know there may be more but i doubt it. according to someone on twitter who's brother is in the squad. a squad of 35 has been picked and there is 10 from leinster in the 35

Sorry to hear your club man did not make it, was a pity he only played the Ulster game, guess being injured went against him

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Anyone here of any other players that made the trial?

rugby_fan wrote: »
    Anyone here of any other players that made the trial?
    they have a training camp before xmas where the squad may be cut down to just below 30, you might not see a squadlist before then so unless someone knows someone involved with ulster or connacht we may not know how many from each province, there also will prob be a considerable amount of exiles in the squad

Any results from u17/19 league games today in munster and leinster???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Paul Griffin, prop
    Callum O'Connell, hooker
    Tadgh Leader, centre/fly half

They're the 3 Wegians lads going for trials.

I presume Danny Qualter (Buccs), Aaron Conneely (Corinthians), Kieran Marmion (Corinthians) will be in the squad as it is as they were in the WC squad last year.

Other trialists from Connacht I'd imagine would be Callum Boland, Shane Layden, Jack Carty, Conor Finn (All Buccs)
    Conor Kindregan (UL Bohs/Monivea)
    Brian Moylett (Lansdowne)

they have a training camp before xmas where the squad may be cut down to just below 30, you might not see a squadlist before then so unless someone knows someone involved with ulster or connacht we may not know how many from each province, there also will prob be a considerable amount of exiles in the squad

Any results from u17/19 league games today in munster and leinster???
    Any results from league games played in munster today???

u19 Premier North
    Tullamore 50 5 Portlaoise-Portarlington
    Naas 13 20 R&B Rebels
    Dundalk 8 7 Navan
    Boyne 27 15 Barnhall

u19 Premier South
    Clondalkin 21 22 Carlow
    New Ross 32 17 Kilkenny
    Wicklow 8 8 Enniscorthy

u19 Division 1 South
    Cill Dara 7 35 Arklow

u17 Premier North
    Naas A 55 0 Ardee
    Dundalk 0 32 Navan
    Boyne A 22 29 Barnhall

u17 Premier South
    Athy 15 7 Carlow
    New Ross 20 12 Kilkenny
    Wicklow 29 8 Enniscorthy

u17 Division 1 North
    Balbriggan 5 34 Ashbourne
    North Meath 5 51 Longford
    Clondalkin 7 22 Boyne B

u17 Division 1 South
    Tullow 5 24 Roscrea

u17 Division 2
    Gorey B 0 71 Clane

East Munster u19
    Kilfeacle 3 Nenagh 3

East Munster u17
    Section A
    Nenagh 45 Cashel 6
    section B
    Waterford City 0 Dungarvan 63

South Munster u17
    section 1
    Youghal 56 Douglas 17
    Sundays Well 5 Highfield 15
    section 2
    Clonakilty 12 Ballincollig 0
    Kinsale 40 Bantry Bay 12
    Bandon 15 Dunmanway 7
    Section 4
    Old Christians 29 Crosshaven 7
    Muskerry 34 Carrigaline 5

West u17 League
    Killarney 17 0 Castleisland
    Corca Dhuibhne 13 46 Tralee

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/24559.php

Ireland Under-18 Clubs Squad -
    Cillian Ansbro - Youghal
    Joe Bercis - Exiles
    Caolin Blade - Monivea
    Russell Blair - Ballymoney
    Adam Byrne - Naas
    Cian Byrne - Tullamore
    Fergal Cleary - Navan
    Darren Coady - Waterpark
    Luke Connolly - Exiles
    Brian Cunningham - Navan
    Stephen Dalton - Exiles
    James Deehan - Exiles
    Adam Doherty - Banbridge
    Peter Dooley - Birr
    Eddie Earls - Gorey
    Adrian Enright - Abbeyfeale
    Mark Healy - Kanturk
    Nathan Higgins - Exiles
    Seamus Keating - Dungarvan
    Stephen Keelan - Navan
    Adam King - Exiles
    John Madigan - Charleville
    Kalani Moore - Waterpark
    Paul O'Donnell - Galwegians
    Jack O'Donoghue - Waterpark
    Killian O'Keeffe - Crosshaven
    Niall O'Neill - Waterpark
    Josh O'Rourke - De La Salle Palmerston
    James O'Sullivan - Exiles
    Conor Simpson - Coleraine
    Killian Sweeney - Malahide
    Francis Taggart - Exiles
    Tom Hilton-Stevens - Exiles
    Jacob Walsh - Ballinasloe
    Alex Webb - Exiles
    Jim White - Enniscorthy

Ormond Lad, maybe you could shed light on these selections, 10 munster representatives are great and well done to those lads. I know your club man Jonathan Hayes is unlucky that he was injured, but would of thought he would still be considered? I wonder who picks these lads, I would be indeed perplexed by a couple, not naming them, and the best of luck to them but how come Oisin O' Meara and J.H were not included, that 7 is seriously thought of I was led to believe and really shone. I know all group selections can be questioned and everyone would have different opinions, but I have seen these boys at east munster club games and a few division and the Thomand game and they and their performances certainly seemed to as stand out similar to that as playing for their respective clubs, which I would always use as an assessment and yard stick and they aren't bad.

As I say selections can always cause debate, and not space for everyone but ???

Ormond Lad, maybe you could shed light on these selections, 10 munster representatives are great and well done to those lads. I know your club man Jonathan Hayes is unlucky that he was injured, but would of thought he would still be considered? I wonder who picks these lads, I would be indeed perplexed by a couple, not naming them, and the best of luck to them but how come Oisin O' Meara and J.H were not included, that 7 is seriously thought of I was led to believe and really shone. I know all group selections can be questioned and everyone would have different opinions, but I have seen these boys at east munster club games and a few division and the Thomand game and they and their performances certainly seemed to as stand out similar to that as playing for their respective clubs, which I would always use as an assessment and yard stick and they aren't bad.

As I say selections can always cause debate, and not space for everyone but ???
    Jonny was unlucky to be injured and was not involved in some of the interpro games and im guessing didnt show enough in what he played to be given another look at by the irish youths coaches, his fitness(as much as it had improved) may also have played a factor.
    Oisin is highly regarded but he was very lucky to even make east munster and munster as some coaches felt he was too small to make it at the higher levels.
    Oisin has stood out any time ive seen him, one of the best technical tacklers there is but he is very slight and coaches would count that aginst him:(

I met a Kilfeacle club man today in my work and the subject of rugby came up, as it would, I slagged him about only having one munster youth but stated that he was a good one and should fit well with the Irish group, could not beleive when he said he wasn't involved as far as he heard. I honestly presumed he had it wrong, but your post with the list confirmed it ( thought in previous you had said he was in).

I have posted previously that he was light alright and indeed he is, but he is one tough boy, size means nothing to him, has some heart and skill. I think he is a serious natural 7 ( George Hook would love him) , there certainly is no better 7 in the east, his work rate, can't be touched ( and as I have seen him he rarely gives away penalties, yet turns over so much ball, forces so many errors, super tackling at a high rate and a good engine to booth).

Coaches obviously got it right and wrong, heard that he was easily in the top 3 performers for the youths. Coaches go and forego talent and embrace brawn then. We have all seen it at divisional level where 'big boys' are dragged along and more talented boys discarded. I don't know if he would make the grade but he certainly deserves a chance at it more than others Ormond, as would J.H. I don't think I am wrong.

Is it the munster set-up that put these boys forward, or how does the selection process go, again hate to say it but would question a few from that list, but won't mention who, best of luck to them all!

Was wondering is there a similar squad for the schools?

I met a Kilfeacle club man today in my work and the subject of rugby came up, as it would, I slagged him about only having one munster youth but stated that he was a good one and should fit well with the Irish group, could not beleive when he said he wasn't involved as far as he heard. I honestly presumed he had it wrong, but your post with the list confirmed it ( thought in previous you had said he was in).

I have posted previously that he was light alright and indeed he is, but he is one tough boy, size means nothing to him, has some heart and skill. I think he is a serious natural 7 ( George Hook would love him) , there certainly is no better 7 in the east, his work rate, can't be touched ( and as I have seen him he rarely gives away penalties, yet turns over so much ball, forces so many errors, super tackling at a high rate and a good engine to booth).

Coaches obviously got it right and wrong, heard that he was easily in the top 3 performers for the youths. Coaches go and forego talent and embrace brawn then. We have all seen it at divisional level where 'big boys' are dragged along and more talented boys discarded. I don't know if he would make the grade but he certainly deserves a chance at it more than others Ormond, as would J.H. I don't think I am wrong.

Is it the munster set-up that put these boys forward, or how does the selection process go, again hate to say it but would question a few from that list, but won't mention who, best of luck to them all!
    Was wondering is there a similar squad for the schools?
    See the link in post 234 for the schools and u19s squads
    Ive seen oisin(normally terrorising our outhalf) play a few times and size isnt everything but he very nearly didnt make the munster squad as it was felt he was too small for interpro level. He is such a good tackler technically and as well as being very good at at the breakdown that his size doesnt matter, it will in a few years time if he wants to progress further but not now.
    My brother is friends with many of the lads who made the squad and some of the lads who made the squad had thought oisin had made the squad but didnt know for definate, i thought he might have, he was unlucky not to.
    Each province has a selector with the irish squad and they along with the coaching staff who attend each interpro pick the squad. AFAIK Tom Nyhan from mallow is the only munster man involved in the management of the irish squad

Anybody know who the number 10 playing for the youths against France last season in the FIFA AER U18 tournament is?

Seen here setting up a try (3:40) scoring a try (10:50).

• Advertisement

Anybody know who the number 10 playing for the youths against France last season in the FIFA AER U18 tournament is?

Seen here setting up a try (3:40) scoring a try (10:50).
    George Cullen was starting outhalf iirc

Advertisement