Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

shawneebuy wrote: »
    Are dates of eligibility changing next year or is this just rumour
    Rumour. What have you heard them to be changing to?
    There has been rumours the dates of eligibility have been due to change every season since the change to under 19s. They will not change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

what are they now? i assume jan 1st

what are they now? i assume jan 1st
    yes jan 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

Heard it mentioned that they may go back to where they were, 6 months previous, July 1st.

Heard it mentioned that they may go back to where they were, 6 months previous, July 1st.
    Where did you here that?
    Cant see it happening. Dont see why a change back would be made.
    Better on jan 1st considering national sides play on jan 1st and best off to have both club and national sides playing off same date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Pan Munster U19 Highfield vrs Clonmel scheduled for a 1.30pm kick off in Highfield on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

ormond lad wrote: »
    Where did you here that?
    Cant see it happening. Dont see why a change back would be made.
    Better on jan 1st considering national sides play on jan 1st and best off to have both club and national sides playing off same date.
    Leinster have been considering it. All the clubs were asked for their views. However, the majority view is to stay as is.

drew 16 all. Havent seen a match report yet but there is some photos from the game here
    I was at the game. The Irish started well enough but as the game went on it got very scrappy.
    I was amazed to see Hastings in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

BigHeel wrote: »
    Leinster have been considering it. All the clubs were asked for their views. However, the majority view is to stay as is.
    in munster last year all clubs were asked to fill in a questionnare about their views on going back to 31st july
    and the u16/18/20 age format ,the eventually decided to stay the same.
    i believe the senior clubs did not want to change from u21 to 20 preffering to keep players underage for the xtra year

Yeah thats what i had thought. What was voted for was no change. All provinces were asked and given several options but the preferred option was the current option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Yeah thats what i had thought. What was voted for was no change. All provinces were asked and given several options but the preferred option was the current option

Yeah Leinster to make an announcement on this in March. Pressure from some clubs to go back to July as they want players to join senior club earlier and get them playin J1/J2 etc. Not the way to go in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I was at the game. The Irish started well enough but as the game went on it got very scrappy.
    I was amazed to see Hastings in the squad.

I went to the game as well and thought that it was very good game. Italians had a bigger physical presence and did not score as much as they should from all their territorial advantage in the first half, Ireland scored a try when they were down to 14 men and were fortunate enough to be ahead at half time, 8-6. Italians came out flying at the start of the second half and looked like pulling away to me, especially after scoring a try to take the lead. A penalty to Ireland got them level at 11-11 before Ireland got a fantastic individual try which really lifted the place to go 16-11 ahead with about 8 mins to go. It got very intense towards the end as Ireland hung on really but Italy got a score after a sustained period of pressure, (they were even held up at one point). They scored with about 2 mins to go, after Ireland had a man binned for infringing at a ruck. They missed the kick to win it. Ireland had one last attack from the restart but ended up in touch. A draw was a fair result I would have said.

Ireland had a way better skill set, but Italy had the physical advantage, would be my opinion. Our lads gave it everything and should be very proud of themselves. I thought that they did great.

can you pick out any outstanding players specifically?

can you pick out any outstanding players specifically?

I would not like to be ctitical of any lads but one thing that does crack me up with the youth set up is the lack of "building up" of their players. There are some terrific players in that team, if they were in a schools set up, would be heralded to high heaven!!!!!

My stand out player was Conor Kyne at prop, unbelievable game. He made more tackles than the rest of the forwards put together and made a fantastic try saving tackle on a winger when the full back was beaten once. Big, strong and mobile, a Cian Healy type.

Front Rows were good, like Quinlan, very good, Treadwell in second row was also very good. I liked Aron Hogan when he came on. Dow was ok and made lots of tackles but got binned for the last few minutes which did not help, Flankers were ok but out muscled at times.

Scrum half Jack Cullen has terrific hands, but boy did he look small out there.

Conor O'Brien did great, looks like a really good player, has good hands and moves well, set up a good try for McGibney in first half, could do with improving his kicking game and sent a restart dead once in second half after they scored when we needed it to stay in. James Nolan did well, tries hard tackles well and made some good runs in the first half, took all the kicks and could have done with getting the conversions but it was windy and cold. Moran at 13 was ok, did not get overly involved and did not let the ball go wide once when a big overlap was there in the second half, Wingers were good as well when given ball, Full back did ok but kept the ball in once when he should have just let it go out. O'Hagan came on for O'Brien who got injured with about 20 mins to go and showed real class. His try was out of nothing really, cut a line off the edge of a ruck from about 30m out at real pace and blasted through the gainline withstanding a few attempted tackles, wingers chasing him and the full back tried to tap tackle him as he dived for the line. The best moment of the match as the place went wild, got everyone jumping. Thing for me without being critical of the lad, he looks and runs more like a centre than a FH, he is very well built and strong.

Narrowing it down, Conor Kyne, Treadwell, Conor O'Brien and Sean O'Hagan looked like players who could step up a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭munsterman96

its ormond and while yes some groups still have to decided the draw has still been made as the draw was made before the competition started.

Midleton and Old Crescent has been decided. Crescent beat Midleton friday night so in the remaining 2 quarter finals Bruff play Midleton and Crescent play Galbally or Highfield

Mr ormond im terribly sorry

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I would not like to be ctitical of any lads but one thing that does crack me up with the youth set up is the lack of "building up" of their players. There are some terrific players in that team, if they were in a schools set up, would be heralded to high heaven!!!!!

My stand out player was Conor Kyne at prop, unbelievable game. He made more tackles than the rest of the forwards put together and made a fantastic try saving tackle on a winger when the full back was beaten once. Big, strong and mobile, a Cian Healy type.

Front Rows were good, like Quinlan, very good, Treadwell in second row was also very good. I liked Aron Hogan when he came on. Dow was ok and made lots of tackles but got binned for the last few minutes which did not help, Flankers were ok but out muscled at times.

Conor O'Brien did great, looks like a really good player, has good hands and moves well, set up a good try for McGibney in first half, could do with improving his kicking game and sent a restart dead once in second half after they scored when we needed it to stay in. James Nolan did well, tries hard tackles well and made some good runs in the first half, took all the kicks and could have done with getting the conversions but it was windy and cold. Moran at 13 was ok, did not get overly involved and did not let the ball go wide once when a big overlap was there in the second half, Wingers were good as well when given ball, Full back did ok but kept the ball in once when he should have just let it go out. O'Hagan came on for O'Brien who got injured with about 20 mins to go and showed real class. His try was out of nothing really, cut a line off the edge of a ruck from about 30m out at real pace and blasted through the gainline withstanding a few attempted tackles, wingers chasing him and the full back tried to tap tackle him as he dived for the line. The best moment of the match as the place went wild, got everyone jumping. Thing for me without being critical of the lad, he looks and runs more like a centre than a FH, he is very well built and strong.

Narrowing it down, Conor Kyne, Treadwell, Conor O'Brien and Sean O'Hagan looked like players who could step up a level.

Kyne(Connacht)
    Treadwell(Exile)
    O'Brien(Leinster)
    O'Hagan(Exile)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

O'Hagan and Treadwell will probably go to Connacht or Ulster depending on how good they are

It was Cullen who made the break for O'Hagans try. Picked at the base of the ruck, snipped through and a sweet pass to O'Hagan who finnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Absolutely. Could you imagine Sean O'Brien in the schools system. No other forward of a similar age would come near him.

Who won the u17s Pan munster last year and how far did they go in the all irelands?

• Advertisement

Who won the u17s Pan munster last year and how far did they go in the all irelands?
    Bruff and they got to final and lost to a Navan side(including Fergal Cleary now with Clongowes and on irish schools u18 side) 17-7

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

saw u17 the all-Ireland bruff lost their centre early in the game and it affected them somewhat,fergal cleary was very good for navan probably the reason they won it

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

they have a great setup down there,however Ive thought if they spent less money on gear for the players they could invest in other facets of the programme

Good to see an update on the pan munster league on the munster site
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/11627.php

thanks ormond , where are the finals held usually?

thanks ormond , where are the finals held usually?
    Under 17/19 finals could be in any number of venues. In the past 5 years finals have been played in Thomond, Musgrave, CIT and Clonmel so it will depend on the finalists and when exactly the finals are scheduled

Leinster 19s have a game/training session in Kings Hospital saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

Under 17/19 finals could be in any number of venues. In the past 5 years finals have been played in Thomond, Musgrave, CIT and Clonmel so it will depend on the finalists and when exactly the finals are scheduled

Leinster 19s have a game/training session in Kings Hospital saturday

What Leinster U.19 squad is that?

What Leinster U.19 squad is that?
    For next septembers interpros i assume. Only saw mention of the fixture on another website so dont have any more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Pan Munster U19 semi Highfield 13 Clonmel 8, great win for Highfield was very impressed with Clonmel, well organised and coached. Highfield were the stronger in the last 10 minutes

Advertisement