Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

There are no Ulster players in the mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

shawneebuy wrote: »
    There are no Ulster players in the mix
    Think there was only 3 or 4 looked at initially afaik.
    Squad dominated by Munster, Leinster and Exiles with not that many Connacht, Ulster players involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I think that Connacht had a fair few lads called up for training last week in the trial games. The interpro final v Leinster got a few more of them into the mix. (Connacht should have won!) There might be more than you would think.

Squad should be announced shortly I would think.

They are in camp since 11am this morning in Ashbourne. Were impressive last weekend in warm up games v Belvedere and Wesley 20's. Good luck to them on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

They are in camp since 11am this morning in Ashbourne. Were impressive last weekend in warm up games v Belvedere and Wesley 20's. Good luck to them on Sat.

How did those games go last weekend? they must have struggled to beat good U20 sides?

• Advertisement

Beat Belvedere 45-0, and Wesley 25-5. They are shaping up very well. Bears no resemblence to the game v Schools , which was a first time out with many changes made during the game. I think Schools are a good team, but overrated. So much hype around them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Bears no resemblence to the game v Schools , which was a first time out with many changes made during the game. I think Schools are a good team, but overrated. So much hype around them.

nothing overrated about that schools team.

Clubs have some very good individuals, O'Hagan especially

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I think that Connacht had a fair few lads called up for training last week in the trial games. The interpro final v Leinster got a few more of them into the mix. (Connacht should have won!) There might be more than you would think.

Squad should be announced shortly I would think.
    Squad to be announced early tomorrow i imagine
    Yep. In camp from today until sunday and then back in camp saturday and sunday week as prep for the game v scotland the weekend after.
    Beat Belvedere 45-0, and Wesley 25-5. They are shaping up very well. Bears no resemblence to the game v Schools , which was a first time out with many changes made during the game. I think Schools are a good team, but overrated. So much hype around them.
    Schools are not overrated. A lot of hype around them but the schools includes some very good players this year(As do the youths).
    95s looks to be a great bunch of players

Irish squad named. Fixtures list confirms the youths are not competing in the FIRA which is a disgrace but they do have more fixtures than the schools would have had.
    The youths have 4 games including saturdays game against Italy
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/11597.php
    Ireland XV: Cathal Evans (Corinithians), Anthony McGivney (Mullingar), Sean Moran (Kilkenny), James Nolan (Gorey), Robert Vallejo ( New Ross), Conor O'Brien (Mullingar), Jack Cullen (Saracens), Conor Kyne (Galwegians), Jack McKenna (Wicklow), Brendan Quinlan (Clanwilliam), Colm Joyce Aherne (Wexford), Kieran Treadwell ( Exile), Idris Rqibi (Skibereen) Conor Oliver (Skerries), Lorcan Dow (London Irish). Replacements: Liam Walsh (Wicklow), Niall Hannon (Mullingar), Craig Hansberry (Corinithians), Aaron Hogan (Youghal), Kevin Hastings (Westport), Joey Carberry (Athy), Sean O'Hagan ( London Irish), Matthew Killeen (Ealing Trailfinders).

Ireland Under-18 Club Team Fixtures 2013

Sat 23rd Feb - Ireland v Italy, Ashbourne RFC
    Sun 10th March - Scotland v Ireland, Hamilton RFC
    Sat 30th March - Ireland v England, Coolmine RFC
    Sat 6th April -Ireland v France, venue TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

wheres sean o'hagan? thought he was meant to be a good prospect.injured?

• Advertisement

lurtz wrote: »
    wheres sean o'hagan? thought he was meant to be a good prospect.injured?

on the bench, and he is better than good

my mistake

well yeah he certainly looked a handy footballer.why is he on the bench then?

lurtz wrote: »
    well yeah he certainly looked a handy footballer.why is he on the bench then?

no idea, maybe they are rotating

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

According to my cousin (who is involved with London Irish & Exiles supporter) this guy Kieran Treadwell is supposed to be a fantastic prospect.
    Hopefully they might squeeze the France game in down south. Would like to see these guys.
    Best of luck to them! There is way too much emphasis on schools rugby.

Best of luck to them! There is way too much emphasis on schools rugby.

without schools rugby there would be no rugby

without schools rugby there would be no rugby
    Rubbish.
    please explain what you mean by that ridiculous statement

ormond lad wrote: »
    Rubbish.
    please explain what you mean by that ridiculous statement

if there wasn't schools rugby, rugby in this country would be far far less strong. look at all the players produced by schools rugby.

schools rugby was the lifeblood of rugby until recent times when the popularity of rugby exploded.

if the schools had stopped promoting and playing rugby 30 years ago, do you contend rugby in Ireland would be as strong as it is now?

if there wasn't schools rugby, rugby in this country would be far far less strong. look at all the players produced by schools rugby.
    schools rugby was the lifeblood of rugby until recent times when the popularity of rugby exploded.
    if the schools had stopped promoting and playing rugby 30 years ago, do you contend rugby in Ireland would be as strong as it is now?
    Rugby was percieved as very elitist because of schools rugby(and rightly so).
    If Schools rugby was so great Ireland would have won more than 2 grand slams in 100+years and we wouldnt have the worst record for titles/triple crowns of the 6nations(excluding Italy due to them only being involved for the past decade)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

no idea, maybe they are rotating
    Have you seen O'Brien play? He is special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

BigHeel wrote: »
    Have you seen O'Brien play? He is special.

O'Brien is a great young player, Young O'Hagan is also a fantastic prospect, he is reportedly carrying a knock. O'Hagan can do a job as a centre as well as 10 and is a great option to bring on, probably as a centre where he played last year for the Irish youths in all their games. Sean is a very very good player, people who know more than me have said that he has a big future.

Great to see Cathal Evans come from the blue and get in the team at 15, surprised that Kevin Hastings is not playing (great player and I thought did well against the schools) also surprised that Jack Codryne is not there.

All takes time to come together as these lads get such little time together as a group. I am just looking forward to see how they go. Best of luck to each and everyone of them.

Stanza2 wrote: »
    O'Brien is a great young player, Young O'Hagan is also a fantastic prospect, he is reportedly carrying a knock. O'Hagan can do a job as a centre as well as 10 and is a great option to bring on, probably as a centre where he played last year for the Irish youths in all their games. Sean is a very very good player, people who know more than me have said that he has a big future.

Great to see Cathal Evans come from the blue and get in the team at 15, surprised that Kevin Hastings is not playing (great player and I thought did well against the schools) also surprised that Jack Codryne is not there.

All takes time to come together as these lads get such little time together as a group. I am just looking forward to see how they go. Best of luck to each and everyone of them.

Kevin Hastings is serving a 7 month sentence for gta

Rugby was percieved as very elitist because of schools rugby(and rightly so).
    If Schools rugby was so great Ireland would have won more than 2 grand slams in 100+years and we wouldnt have the worst record for titles/triple crowns of the 6nations(excluding Italy due to them only being involved for the past decade)

I think that schools rugby is the reason that Ireland punches well above its weight in terms of world rugby. We are a small country with very small playing numbers where rugby is maybe the 4th most popular sport. I honestly believe the competitiveness and standard of schools rugby,not just in leinster but all 4 provinces I might add,has greatly developed the rugby culture here. Not taking away from youths rugby one bit by the way. I think the more playing the better! And as we've seen recently many great players have come from it and many great players will continue to come as long as it continues to grow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Reliance on the schools system is a risk as evident in Scotland and Australia.

However, the Australian unions are lucky as they scout the already thriving rugby league academy and underage system for players to entice into the gps schools network. This has thus far yielded some great players such Berrick Barnes, Cliffy Palu, Rocky Elsom, James O'Connor, Matt Giteau, Digby Ioane and Kurtley Beale. They can also entice senior pro level players too such Sailor, Tuqiri, Walker and Folau.
    Israel Folau is going to be a cracking union player and I have no doubt he will make the Wallabies side this year for the Lions tests and Rugby Championship

yeah hastings(enda kenny's nephew btw) got in a bit of trouble with the law. But he is on the bench.
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny proves you just shouldn't be judged on your family. His nephew, Kevin Hastings, from Westport, Co. Mayo was jailed today with a sentence of seven months for a number of crimes including car theft, burglary and driving while under the influence of drugs (also for stealing Dutch Gold in a Tesco in Swindon).

If you're going to rob beer, wouldn't you at least pick a better brand?

According to the Irish Independent, Hastings, 18, was charged for breaking into houses and taking car keys, then stealing the owner’s cars. Other charges included stealing two cans of cider from a local Centra and driving without a license or insurance. He also attacked the wall of a house, causing damage, and stole a mountain bike.

Hasting’s mother Marie is the sister of Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

Hastings once had a promising rugby career ahead of him but had been on a self-destructive path since his grandmother passed away two years ago. He eventually sought help in Dublin’s St. John of God's hospital.

The majority of Hasting’s crimes were committed when he was 15 or 16, but he is 18 now and can be charged as an adult. Hastings will endure his seven month incarceration at St Patrick's Institution in Dublin and is also disqualified from driving for four years.

He aims to complete his Leaving Certificate once his sentence is over and then take one of the scholarships he was offered at Trinity and in Galway.

how tall is Colm Joyce Aherne?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

JustinDee wrote: »
    Reliance on the schools system is a risk as evident in Scotland and Australia.

However, the Australian unions are lucky as they scout the already thriving rugby league academy and underage system for players to entice into the gps schools network. This has thus far yielded some great players such Berrick Barnes, Cliffy Palu, Rocky Elsom, James O'Connor, Matt Giteau, Digby Ioane and Kurtley Beale. They can also entice senior pro level players too such Sailor, Tuqiri, Walker and Folau.
    Israel Folau is going to be a cracking union player and I have no doubt he will make the Wallabies side this year for the Lions tests and Rugby Championship

Barnes, O'Connor, Giteau, Ioane, Elsom, Beale (scholarship at Joeys and had strong links with the Ella brothers) went to big Rugby schools. There is more opportunities in League for under age players as they have under 15s, under 16s, under 18s, under 20s club comps and the NRL has 16 teams in comparison to 5 Super Rugby professional sides. Players like Joe Tomane were Rugby players but ended up going pro through the NRL, Tomane is back in Rugby at the Brumbies and was capped last year.

Rugby has been long perceived as a private schools game, still is wrongly. There is more of a greater balance in the pro squads between private and public schools. Players from public schools end up going to the big private Rugby schools too like Beale for example. GPS, AGS, CAS schools end up with country students who migrate to the cities to go to boarding schools (Stephen Moore is actually from Rockhampton/Yeppoon).

Club Rugby in Australia is still growing in country (league has been struggling in rural areas) and non Rugby strongholds such as Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia. Like in Ireland it will become more vital as a pathway. Francis Fainifo was plucked out of obscurity in rural rugby/league. If the Super Rugby teams go out of their security blanket of the strong rugby schools there is plenty of untapped out there.

Andrew Walker played flyhalf for Randwick and is related to Lloyd Walker who was a very talented Rugby player. He switched to St George in league.

any opinions on who will win the Munster under 19 quarter finals that are to be played this weekend?
    sundays well v cork con
    bandon v bruff
    highfield v garryowen
    abbeyfeale v clonmel

Not sure if any under 17 games are to be played

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

any opinions on who will win the Munster under 19 quarter finals that are to be played this weekend?
    sundays well v cork con
    bandon v bruff
    highfield v garryowen
    abbeyfeale v clonmel

Not sure if any under 17 games are to be played
    u19
    con
    bandon
    highfield
    abbeyfeale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

FalconXV wrote: »

Barnes, O'Connor, Giteau, Ioane, Elsom, Beale (scholarship at Joeys and had strong links with the Ella brothers) went to big Rugby schools. There is more opportunities in League for under age players as they have under 15s, under 16s, under 18s, under 20s club comps and the NRL has 16 teams in comparison to 5 Super Rugby professional sides. Players like Joe Tomane were Rugby players but ended up going pro through the NRL, Tomane is back in Rugby at the Brumbies and was capped last year.

Rugby has been long perceived as a private schools game, still is wrongly. There is more of a greater balance in the pro squads between private and public schools. Players from public schools end up going to the big private Rugby schools too like Beale for example. GPS, AGS, CAS schools end up with country students who migrate to the cities to go to boarding schools (Stephen Moore is actually from Rockhampton/Yeppoon).

Club Rugby in Australia is still growing in country (league has been struggling in rural areas) and non Rugby strongholds such as Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia. Like in Ireland it will become more vital as a pathway. Francis Fainifo was plucked out of obscurity in rural rugby/league. If the Super Rugby teams go out of their security blanket of the strong rugby schools there is plenty of untapped out there.

Andrew Walker played flyhalf for Randwick and is related to Lloyd Walker who was a very talented Rugby player. He switched to St George in league.
    The players I mentioned were scouted from rugby league academies.
    I don't go into Kramer v Kramer love tussles on who is a league or a union player. Just pointing out what has increased in occurring over the past decade or so.
    The sport still continues to struggle regardless of whether we're talking NSW or QLD.

Advertisement