Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't Galway such a wonderful place in the sunshine..

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

JustMary wrote: »
    But some of ye really do need to travel more. I know a few places that make Galway and the prom look like Brighton's shabby cousin.

I've travelled a fair bit myself and few places beat the chilled out atmosphere that Galway generates when the sun shines. Perhaps it's because we don't get so often that we appreciate it more.

I reckon the sunshine gives most people a lift and puts them in good form. (Sugarfree seems to be the exception ;)). It's good for the soul and makes it wonderful to be alive and that can only be a good thing.:)

So enjoy it while it lasts because it's not like we can all jet off to the tropics everytime it pisses rain. :cool:

Oh, one other thing - Fcuk Brighton !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hmm.. The charm of places...cannot always be measured on equal terms, or in more conventional ways like posting photos IMO. I have been to 3 or 4 of the places mentioned as comparison, and spent a good bit of time in two. These places are indeed beautiful. I love Vancouver, for example, and the scenery there and on the islands is stunning, but there is something especially magical *for me* that is usuall present in Galway and not elsewhere. It sparkles in the sun, but for me it is here in the rain too.
    It's not just because this is home. I have one friend from Galway who feels exactly the same way about BC - *that* is home to her.

A lot of people are here, whether local or not, because they *belong* here, and *that* is what makes it so special.

Galway isn't better or worse than these other places, it's just how your heart sees it. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Das Kitty wrote: »
    biko's using his banstick in the real world now too? :pac:
    Ah, c'mon, 'twas time he finally lost the big V ... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Thes pictures are what make Galway special!!!

claddagh_swan.jpg

Feel free to add some more:)

JESUS! :eek: when did that 50ft swan arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Christ this thread took a nosedive...

Got the day off, sun is shining. Gonna grab some lunch and have a beer down by the arch. Could not be happier. This town is fantastic in the sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

I'm guessing that everybody who is saying Galway is the most amazing place on earth are actually from Galway right? That would explain it. It's called bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

0verblood wrote: »
    I'm guessing that everybody who is saying Galway is the most amazing place on earth are actually from Galway right? That would explain it.

I doubt it. See my post above.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm guessing that everybody who is saying Galway is the most amazing place on earth are actually from Galway right? That would explain it.

This is the GALWAY CITY forum.

I don't think anyone has said it's "the most amazing place on earth", that does seems to be what the haters have interpreted though and maybe that bit of misinterpretation is what has evoked their wrath, needless as it is.

Lovely day folks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Who looks at a thread titled 'Isn't Galway such a wonderful place in the sunshine' and goes "Ooooooo! I can't wait to post on that thread and disagree with these shiny happy people."

Also Overblood, this is the Galway City forum, you would expect that. Hardly random Antrim bucks going "I couldn't agree more".

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

FAO Sugarfree:Those pics you took of the dirty water are a well known spot for pollution.The pollution comes from the canal beside Dominick St at the back on the Roisin Dubh.The dirt and rubbish then flows down the canal by Raven Terrace and out into the Claddagh Basin where you took one of those pics from.I cannot believe the Rosin Dubh has never been prosecuted for the pollution although i accept its not all their fault.I work nearby and its always the morning after the night before where there's foaming alcohol flowing freely in the canal along with loads of cans and barrells from Roisin Dubh etc.There was a couch in their last week after Paddy's Day.Im surprised alcoholics dont just dive in there and swim around for awhile.
    Galway for its size is a clean place to live despite places like certain spots on the canal.
    I appologise for going off topic.I love Galway no matter what the weather,the sunshine is an added bonus,like say if Galway had beaten Mayo instead of Meath in their last Senior All-Ireland Final win.:).

• Advertisement

Who looks at a thread titled 'Isn't Galway such a wonderful place in the sunshine' and goes "Ooooooo! I can't wait to post on that thread and disagree with these shiny happy people."

Well the truth hurts, but I'll leave the shiny deluded people be.

Ok byeeeeeeeeee

I'm guessing that everybody who is saying Galway is the most amazing place on earth are actually from Galway right? That would explain it. It's called bias.

I'm not from Galway, I've travelled a hell of a lot over the last 10 years and have been in a lot of fantastic glorious sunny places. And yeah, a lot of them are better than Galway for many reasons. However what is wrong with enjoying this place when the sun is shining?

I'm not from Galway, I've travelled a hell of a lot over the last 10 years and have been in a lot of fantastic glorious sunny places. And yeah, a lot of them are better than Galway for many reasons. However what is wrong with enjoying this place when the sun is shining?

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

To say one place is better than another is a bit misleading. I think Prague is a lovely city but it doesn't mean I can't appreciated the likes of Rotterdam which is a great city in it's own right even though it's nothing like Prague.

Galway is fairly unique in it's own right. I think it's easily one of the nicest examples of an old Irish city and that puts it up there with the best any country has to offer.

Like I said, we're immune to Irelands charms, just as someone who grows up next to the Grand Canyon in the US probably thinks it's just a hole in the ground.

ScumLord wrote: »
    To say one place is better than another is a bit misleading. I think Prague is a lovely city but it doesn't mean I can't appreciated the likes of Rotterdam which is a great city in it's own right even though it's nothing like Prague.

Galway is fairly unique in it's own right. I think it's easily one of the nicest examples of an old Irish city and that puts it up there with the best any country has to offer.

Like I said, we're immune to Irelands charms, just as someone who grows up next to the Grand Canyon in the US probably thinks it's just a hole in the ground.

Sums it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Nothing like looking out at Galway on a run in the sun!

http://imgur.com/a/q17nD#NsJae

Whatta cool place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Nope, from Donegal. Galway's great in the sun, the place is so relaxed and the atmosphere everywhere just lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I'm from kildare, and even though galway beat kildare in the 98 football final i still love it here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Wow, some people would really argue over anything. I'm guessing most of the naysayers are stuck in a windowless office somewhere and just being bitter.

Galway is lovely in the sun, lets hope there's a lot more days like these to come over the summer!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nope.

And no-one said it was the most amazing place on earth, it's not, just that it was a good old spot, much improved by the sunshine.

I think there's plenty of bias here all right, but a lot of it is wrapped up in that chip on your shoulder. ;)

• Advertisement

moonflower wrote: »
    Wow, some people would really argue over anything.
    No we won't! :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Nope! :D
    I'm from Donegal.

Use to spend every second weekend down there when I was working loved the place that much to spend over 10 hours in total travelling too and from the place for one or two nights .....or maybe I'm just a bit mental :pac:

It is a really funky pretty place and does have a good atmosphere about it.

Given the option to walk down and hang around Shop St or O'Connell St in Dublin.......yeaaaaaaaah Shop St is gonna win :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Last December there were plenty of continous sunny days, it was below 0c and no one started a thread how great Galway was in the sunshine then..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Last December there were plenty of continous sunny days, it was below 0c and no one started a thread how great Galway was in the sunshine then..

Observation noted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Funny, though,

I always used to think that my friends from afar (UK, Dublin, France, even Mayo) have more appreciation for Galway than us locals. But cycling the prom and around by the Claddagh today I really didn't want to be anywhere else in the world. It was just gorgeous out there.

And, Just Mary, a lot of us Galwegians are very well travelled. I've lived in Oz, Asia, and Central America and life really is what you make of it. It's sad to be negative about the place you are in and this thread is great because so many of us are just expressing a simple appreciation for our lovely city in the sun.

Of course it will be drizzly and miserable again in a week or a month, so why not make the most of it? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

snubbleste wrote: »

yeah but there was plenty of winter wonderland tripe being sprouted!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Posts quoting from others forums removed, the first user doing it was a re-reg troll and won't be joining us again.

celty wrote: »
    And, Just Mary, a lot of us Galwegians are very well travelled. I've lived in Oz, Asia, and Central America and life really is what you make of it. It's sad to be negative about the place you are in and this thread is great because so many of us are just expressing a simple appreciation for our lovely city in the sun.
    I've travelled and worked a bit in the UK, every time I go there I'm hugely impressed with their organisational skills, their motorways and public transport but I'd hate to live there. Every things a chain, restaurants, pubs petrol, corner shops, hotels. You could travel 500 miles in the UK and feel like you haven't moved an inch because every things the same everywhere you go.

There is something to be said for the craic, it's just different in other countries. Maybe it's our failing but some other countries just seem dull. Lovely places to visit but I don't know about living there despite the fact they're probably better in so many ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The sun is shining today
    Short shorts are everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Maybe the folks who think Galway is wonderful in the sunshine ARE from Galway... but I think that people from Galway actually think it's wonderful in the sideways rain, the mist, the downpours, the serious wind, the (relatively recent) frosty-cripsy winter stuff (OK, I suppose that is sunshine).

Personally, I like the wilder stuff better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement