Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't Galway such a wonderful place in the sunshine..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ahh sugarfree, have a good old cry, you'll feel much better afterwards and you might cheer up. I know, it doesn't seem like it now, but things will get better for you. Chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

Mactard wrote: »
    Ahh sugarfree, have a good old cry, you'll feel much better afterwards and you might cheer up. I know, it doesn't seem like it now, but things will get better for you. Chin up.

I wont till all you Galwegians come round to my point of view.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sugarfree wrote: »

In a way, we have, we don't want to be in the Mayo forum either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm not knocking Galway, and agree that today was fantastic. (Am even sad I've got a temping gig on, though getting money to pay the rent is nice ;-) )

But some of ye really do need to travel more. I know a few places that make Galway and the prom look like Brighton's shabby cousin.

I don't think anyone is disputing that certain places worldwide would beat Galway in a "places that are fabulous" poll but Galway has a certain "joie de vivre" about it, particularly on sunny warm days.............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Sugarfree, I can'y help but get the feeling that your username describes you perfectly!!!!Haha:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

This post is only up here about 8 hours and it's already got 36 responses.
    Most of them positive.
    Thanks to OP for giving us a bit of a lift out of the doom and gloom.
    Yeah Galway is a great place when the sun shines.
    The sun kind of lifts all of our moods. Roll on the longer daylight evenings from next week and hopefully many beautiful sunny days........
    Shop St full of toursits and buskers for the Arts Festival......
    Keep it positive everyone and see if we can get to a hundred positive posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

DSCF1792.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg
    That's art you philistine!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Sugarfee, we all see what we want to see.
    Yes your pictures and comments are accurate/real but then so are
    the pictures posted by Fluffyorganic1.
    So here is a challenge: Just this once, go out in the sunshine tomorrow
    and get a few nice pictures of the city centre on a sunny day and post them on here.
    Enjoy the sunshine and the little burst of enthusiasm for the little while it lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

BornToBe? wrote: »
    Isn't it......

Its worth all the wind and rain when we have days like this....

What a wondeful little city.

No it's not worth all the wind and the rain.... sorry. The wind and the rain was actually one of the reasons I moved out of Galway. But it is lovely in the sun, as is any Irish city or town after months of being grey and overcast, so there's nothing special about Galway. Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's all a load of shyte.

some of ye really do need to travel more. I know a few places that make Galway and the prom look like Brighton's shabby cousin.

This ^

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I'm just pointing out the filth of Galway city. Do you not agree?

I lived in Galway for 5 years and I agree it is a dirty city overall. Broken glass, Urine, cigarette butts, empty cans, chewing gum etc. The suburbs are especially bad as are they badly planned! The local business community put nothing back into Galway, they just take take take! The Council is badly organised and the entire place stinks of corruption. Greed greed greed!!!I enjoyed my first couple of years in Galway but when I "grew up" I realized that it is a very stagnant scene full of complete bull****ters (not including students and tourists) and alcoholics. Apologies for ranting and enjoy the sunshine!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Gingko wrote: »
    I lived in Galway for 5 years and I agree it is a dirty city overall. Broken glass, Urine, cigarette butts, empty cans, chewing gum etc. The suburbs are especially bad as are they badly planned! The local business community put nothing back into Galway, they just take take take! The Council is badly organised and the entire place stinks of corruption. Greed greed greed!!!I enjoyed my first couple of years in Galway but when I "grew up" I realized that it is a very stagnant scene full of complete bull****ters (not including students and tourists) and alcoholics. Apologies for ranting and enjoy the sunshine!!

Congrats on your first post and also on your new identity Sugarfree.

But yea an hour or two chilling out in quay street in the sun during daytime hours is quite nice!!

It was my first post actually! I'm not sugarfree by name or nature! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Galway is lovely in the sunshine (it would be lovelier if it was abit more cycle friendly though)
    Also anybody at Salthill prom/beach today, some serious stench by the diving boards/leisure centre there smelt like more than just seaweed (ended up by the one towards barna)

15 degrees tomorrow, definitely going for a swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I'm not knocking Galway, and agree that today was fantastic. (Am even sad I've got a temping gig on, though getting money to pay the rent is nice ;-) )

But some of ye really do need to travel more. I know a few places that make Galway and the prom look like Brighton's shabby cousin.

silly statement - just because Galway looks fab in the Sunshine you think people haven't travelled. People from all over the world love galway in the sunshine. It doesn't mean that we haven't seen anywhere else in the world :rolleyes:

15 degrees tomorrow, definitely going for a swim.

Bring a wetsuit! The water temperature is still only 10c. Freezing! I surf all year round, the water quality is good and invigorating but wet suit is a must or you will go in a man and come out a woman! :)

Bring a wetsuit! The water temperature is still only 10c. Freezing! I surf all year round, the water quality is good and invigorating but wet suit is a must or you will go in a man and come out a woman! :)

I don't have a wetsuit so it's a risk I will have to take. If it's too cold I will probably just run it and run straight out like a scared kid anyway:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

about 30 people out in blackrock yesterday evening swimming to their hearts content - not a wet suit in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Galway is lovely in any weather.Every pub has a roof so who cares about the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

As a cheeky retort to Sugarfree's observation that Mayo is not full of its own s hite, can I cheekily suggest that that is because all of Mayo's s hite is in Galway!

That post is pure nonsense from start to finish.

I'm from Galway but not living there at the moment and I cannot wait to get back. There is no where in the world I would rather live than galway/co.galway

I do go home most weekends but it just reminds me how much I like to be back full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was driving around today with sunglasses on, both front windows open and open sunroof.
    Man it's good to be alive sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Was out in Salthill today - have they been doing work clearing the beaches recently? I don't remember all the beaches along the prom being so open sandy! Place looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

That is such a ridiculous statement. I've been to a lot of cities and towns all over the world and I can guarantee you Galway has a magical charm about it on clear sunny day. Could you please give me a few examples of towns or cities beside the sea that are better? I would love to see them. I'm sure there is a few but again your comments are slightly insulting too our beautiful (when sunny) city. :D

Poor galwegians. The city is so dreary and miserable for 11 months that when the sun comes out on the 12th month they think that it's heaven on earth and there is nowhere in the world that can match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

darrenh wrote: »
    That is such a ridiculous statement. I've been to a lot of cities and towns all over the world and I can guarantee you Galway has a magical charm about it on clear sunny day. Could you please give me a few examples of towns or cities beside the sea that are better? I would love to see them. I'm sure there is a few but again your comments are slightly insulting too our beautiful (when sunny) city. :D

Note that my post was a direct response to the statement "I think Ireland in general can't be beat when the sun is shinning. ..."

Galway is great. But it most definitely can be beat.

Examples: Wellington, New Plymouth, Dunedin, Melbourne, Vancouver ... and that's just off the top of my head

darrenh wrote: »
    Could you please give me a few examples of towns or cities beside the sea that are better? I would love to see them.

I've been to the first three.

Malindi, Kenya

malindi.bmp

Mombasa City, Kenya

Nyali_Beach.jpg

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

dar-es-salaam.jpg

IMG_0815.JPG

This place looks nice too.

Cancun, Mexico

cancun_aerial-sm.jpg

Galway cannot be compared to towns with lovely beaches like this, and I'm sure there are many more in the caribbean and south america, thailand, australia...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Less diarrhoea in Galway though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Note that my post was a direct response to the statement "I think Ireland in general can't be beat when the sun is shinning. ..."

Galway is great. But it most definitely can be beat.

Examples: Wellington, New Plymouth, Dunedin, Melbourne, Vancouver ... and that's just off the top of my head

A Kiwi lover are we? Wellington, New Plymouth & Dunedin go nowhere near making Galway look like Brighton's shabby cousin. Seen them all, and although nice, their not the greatest places ever (and neither is Galway by the way), I cant see how they are that much better than Galway. Cant comment on the other two. New Zealand is the most beautiful country I have ever visited though.

Overblood, you missed my point. I could also roll out 100's of photo's of beautiful places but the OP's point was that the sun brings out the charm of the city, (that perhaps maybe only blinded locals can see), but then again many who come here think so too. I suppose we all see the world differently. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement