Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't Galway such a wonderful place in the sunshine..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

I used to love drinking down by the Arch during the summer when i lived in Galway. Never saw much trouble, though i did hear of it on occasion. Can't wait to get back for a weekend in July hopefully. No place I'd rather be when the sun shines.

As for the guards, they should be trying to reinforce positive attitudes by taking drink from troublemakers or people who've had too much. And i don't mean one or two guards should be swanning around the place putting themselves in harms way. I mean properly enforced, properly planned. And the book thrown at anybody who causes hassle.

Having a few cans outside when the sun shines shouldn't be a crime

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If it was just every now and again, only two drinks then I don't think Ireland would have the image or problems that we have.

When the weather is bad, sure feck it, might as well just go for a few.
    When the weather is good, mighty, throw on the shorts and head out for a few drinks.
    There's a wedding? Better get hammered.
    Funeral? Irish Wake!
    There's a gig? Can't handle that sober.
    It's X-Mas Eve, have a few drinks.
    St. Stephens Day, Pints!
    It's our national holiday, Scoops!
    Horse Racing is made better with Booze.
    Going on Holidays, get pissed at the airport!

Again, just an opinion. I don't think you can take cans away from students at RAG Week and then turn a blind eye to the rest. It's inconsistent. We're also continuing to glorify drinking. That this is what you do when you want to relax on a Sunny day. I went on a 2 week holiday with a girlfriend. She wasn't a particularly heavy drinker. She probably was by other countries standards. She drank every single night of that holiday. That's relaxing, that's letting your hair down by Irish standards. It's a toxic attitude which is being propagated through our society with this acceptance and glorification of drinking.

Reading that and it sounds like you have an issue with alcohol more than anything else. Your list of reasons to drink is just nonsense and ignores the fact that the vast majority of people here don't drink to excess at every opportunity. You also seem to think that it's a uniquely Irish problem yet we're not even in the top five when it comes to alcohol consumption in Europe. You seem to equate the actions of the minority with that of the overall majority, that you have a friend who drank every night while on holiday does not mean that most Irish do and it's ridiculous to even try and say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Reading that and it sounds like you have an issue with alcohol more than anything else. Your list of reasons to drink is just nonsense and ignores the fact that the vast majority of people here don't drink to excess at every opportunity. You also seem to think that it's a uniquely Irish problem yet we're not even in the top five when it comes to alcohol consumption in Europe. You seem to equate the actions of the minority with that of the overall majority, that you have a friend who drank every night while on holiday does not mean that most Irish do and it's ridiculous to even try and say so.

Well I certainly think that the attitudes to alcohol here are seriously dysfunctional:

It's not regarded as disgraceful to be seen drunk or to p*ss in the street.
    I't's regarded as OK to be drinking every day.
    Access to alcohol is an absolute requirement at social functions.
    When it comes to drink, no one can count to one: even if people say they're going out for "a drink", they're really going out for several at least.

Yes, we have a lower per-capita consumption than some places. But that just points out the dangers of using arithmetic mean as a measure. We have a lot of tee-totalers, who throw the average out.

Well I certainly think that the attitudes to alcohol here are seriously dysfunctional:

It's not regarded as disgraceful to be seen drunk or to p*ss in the street.
    I't's regarded as OK to be drinking every day.
    Access to alcohol is an absolute requirement at social functions.
    When it comes to drink, no one can count to one: even if people say they're going out for "a drink", they're really going out for several at least.

Yes, we have a lower per-capita consumption than some places. But that just points out the dangers of using arithmetic mean as a measure. We have a lot of tee-totalers, who throw the average out.

Since when has the majority of people seen it as okay to be drinking every day? That's just nonsense. And the rest of your comments are equally dismissive of the majority of people. Alcohol is found at social functions around the world yet you seem to think it's uniquely Irish and yes many people can go out for a few drinks, not every one needs to get wasted. And people do look down on those who are grossly intoxicated in the street and especially those who urinate in public. But again it's a minority who engage in that, the vast majority of Irish people can head out for a few pints and then head home. Most do it once, maybe twice a week. Very few are at it every day and to try and say that people regard drinking every day as ok is just wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Actually it's quite the opposite, they seem to be targeting people on their own or small groups of people and ignoring the large aggressive groups and for want of a better word, scumbags who are at it. It's the people not being a dick who are being targeted, easy targets and all that

This time last summer myself and 2 house mates were sitting on the quay wall beside the dock at the canal across from the 'sparch. 2 Gardai came over to us, asked us if we were having a nice afternoon, made a joke about wishing they could join us and the wandered off saying "better go check across the way, had a few complaints about rowdy young lads" and asked us to make sure we didn't leave any cans laying around.
    They walked past dozens of other small groups of friends and didn't pay any heed to anyone as everyone was just relaxed and taking it easy.
    This has always been my experience of Gardai and drinking in public in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Enough about consumption.
    Now back to the aura that the yellow orb in the sky giveth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I hate Galway people, I am from Mayo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thems 4 paragraph posts fighting words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

6541 wrote: »
    I hate Galway people, I am from Mayo..

I am from Galway and I love you 6541. You're more than a number to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I am from Galway and I love you 6541. You're more than a number to me.

Thank you !

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    This time last summer myself and 2 house mates were sitting on the quay wall beside the dock at the canal across from the 'sparch. 2 Gardai came over to us, asked us if we were having a nice afternoon, made a joke about wishing they could join us and the wandered off saying "better go check across the way, had a few complaints about rowdy young lads" and asked us to make sure we didn't leave any cans laying around.
    They walked past dozens of other small groups of friends and didn't pay any heed to anyone as everyone was just relaxed and taking it easy.
    This has always been my experience of Gardai and drinking in public in Galway.

The council have been wanting the crack down so I imagine that it's because of that the guards are looking to enforce it a little more. Sitting here thinking that I'd love a nice ale or decent beer in the sun, think I may get myself down to the Salthouse for one later on

Isn't Galway such a wonderful place in the sunshine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Stunning pic of Club Med 2 setting sail from Galway

BxH1SJVIQAAqoW6.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/509457931923124224/photo/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I went for a swim in Spiddal yesterday. Thought it was Baltic but still doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

But some of ye really do need to travel more. I know a few places that make Galway and the prom look like Brighton's shabby cousin.

Galway in general is a great city (pity it rains all day about every second day in the winter though !) but I was really disappointed to see the state of Salthill when I visited recently. It looks really tacky and downmarket now. Most places have improved so much over the years, but salthill has just continued to decline - It looked much better back in the 70's & 80's for God's sake.... :(

17 degrees today in brilliant sunshine
    yL9ajyTl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jazzdude18

met .ie --> super sunny for the next two days,

youtube.com/watch?v=6NeaJvdW670

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

snubbleste wrote: »
    17 degrees today in brilliant sunshine
    yL9ajyTl.jpg?1

Pic of the week right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's almost too bright out, I'm wearing my :cool:

• Advertisement

Never thought I'd see this thread bumped again
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw-69aR-fKV3Co2cfc1ZgcMJGHdu_rxth0n-1HEytKI9sxCiP-

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What a lovely Sunday it was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

biko wrote: »
    What a lovely Sunday it was :)

It felt like an eternity since we've had a day like that. So nice to see the sun and blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It felt like an eternity since we've had a day like that. So nice to see the sun and blue sky.

And we'll pay for it tonight when it's freezing cold !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭motley

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been bumped considering the weather we are having.

Off to the beach today for a post-work tan.

I worry that this could be our summer and we haven't even realised it yet.

motley wrote: »
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been bumped considering the weather we are having.
    Maybe because Galway isn't such a wonderful place in the sunshine anymore.
    Dog poo everywhere, road rage, tin boxes wandering seeking contemplation constantly, de stink off Shop St, de missing raft, de sun doth burn de skin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Feck that cynical nonsense. ^^^^

Hit me Saturday when I couldn't tell if I was sweating out a hangover or if it was just a close summer day. Ended up being the latter and even managed an emergency bbq. Life's not so bad snub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    Maybe because Galway isn't such a wonderful place in the sunshine anymore.
    Dog poo everywhere, road rage, tin boxes wandering seeking contemplation constantly, de stink off Shop St, de missing raft, de sun doth burn de skin

Don't forget the state of the grass in Eyre square :-)

There is a lovely vibe around since the sun started shining. Roll on the long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Anyone know any pub/hotel in town that will hold a BBQ for a small party? Ideally, an actual bbq in a beer garden as opposed to being served food from the kitchen outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Anyone know any pub/hotel in town that will hold a BBQ for a small party? Ideally, an actual bbq in a beer garden as opposed to being served food from the kitchen outside.

I think o Connell's used to do it a few years ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement