Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Balagan wrote: »
    I was curious about which of the varying pronunciations of 'tuna' ClareFM was using

Ahh i see! Missed the point there so! My apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The Queen's Hotel has gone all saffron and blue!

1240129_10200417279415933_1077884866_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Maybe not the right place for this query but here goes!

Does anyone know any local Clare company who do shredding? Do Clean Ireland do it? It's not business stuff i have to shred, its just an awful lot of old bills/ papers/ documents from an house clearance but they do contain names/addresses and other details so don't want to just put the lot in the green bin.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Maybe not the right place for this query but here goes!

Does anyone know any local Clare company who do shredding? Do Clean Ireland do it? It's not business stuff i have to shred, its just an awful lot of old bills/ papers/ documents from an house clearance but they do contain names/addresses and other details so don't want to just put the lot in the green bin.
    I'm afraid the only companies I know are ones that get rid of confidential waste from doctor's surgeries and financial institution are they're pretty expensive.

Would you consider purchasing one of these shedders?

DS-1_3011001_SafeSense.png

http://www.fellowes.com/us/en/Products/Pages/product-details.aspx?prod=US-3011001&cat=SHREDDERS&subcat=HOUSEHOLD_SHREDDERS&tercat=

I purchased this model last year for about €80, it cross shreds 11 sheets at a time. I find it brilliant. I had about six large refuse sacks of the shedding the first time but I keep on top of it now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I looked for a company that would do this before and found some in Limerick but none in Clare.

Some shredders (such as the Tesco one) need to be turned off to cool down or they will over heat, so if you're getting an actual shredder check this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why not get something like this and make it work for you?

Otherwise, the only companies that I know that will do shreading will be confidential waste destroyers and that can be expensive as they'll give you a certificate of destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Clareman wrote: »
    Why not get something like this and make it work for you?

Otherwise, the only companies that I know that will do shreading will be confidential waste destroyers and that can be expensive as they'll give you a certificate of destruction.

I used to have one years ago .... excellent results if you have the time to make them and the location to allow them to dry naturally.

I would have liked it to make larger briquettes .... I though they were a little too small at the time.

I experimented mixing some other materials in the briquettes at times .... coal dust, wood shavings and saw dust for instance.

Someone 'borrowed' the device and I never replaced it :(

Ennis has retained its title as Ireland's Tidiest Large Urban Centre. Well done to everyone involved in the tidy towns campaign. I think the town council do a particularly good job on the floral baskets and planting around the town.

The one thing that confuses me is, a couple of weeks ago Ennis was labelled a litter blackspot in the 'Irish Business against Litter Survey'. So who is right? And how are the results for Ennis so different?

I think the Irish Business against Litter Survey is for actual businesses and how littered they are. I recall McDonalds getting praised a while back.

I would say the Tidy Towns would be more important. Fair play to all those involved

I've seen quite a lot of rubbish dumping on and off the link roads around Ennis. Look down from the bridge over the Claureen River any day and you'll see big black bags of rubbish thrown down there.

Another thing I noticed in the town centre is a couple of abandoned public phones, red Smart telecom ones I think , which are no longer working and haven't been for some time. Can the Council not remove them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

got a speeding fine in the post this morning:mad:

caught in Inagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

fryup wrote: »

caught in Inagh

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

fryup wrote: »

caught in Inagh

Coincidentally I gotta letter from the RSA today, as I skimmed through it I saw the words speeding, 63kmph and 2 points.

I was raging and as I read it again, I noticed this 'offence' was from 3 years ago and I was now losing the penalty points.

Happy days, swings and roundabouts.

There are some free events this evening to mark Culture Night.

http://www.culturenight.ie/event-region/clare/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What are they up to with the diggers in the centre of the N18 at the moment?

Got stuck twice today.

Also, I don't think that road was nearly as bumpy and wavy as it is now, think its like that since early last year?

Is it really going to be single lane till December?

From Clare County Council website

Roadworks on the N18 Limerick to Shannon/Ennis Road
    Date issued: 20/09/13

Surface rehabilitation works are taking place on the N18 Limerick to Shannon / Ennis Road. Works are due to start on Sunday 22nd September and are expected to last for approximately 10 - 12 weeks.

A 50kmph speed limit will be in place for the duration of the works. The works will result in lane closures, in both directions, between the Junctions of R471 Sixmilebridge (Junction 7) and Moyhill.

Motorists travelling to or from Bunratty should be aware that access to and from the N18 Northbound at Junction 6 will be closed from Sunday 29th September and diversions will be in place.

Page last updated: 20/09/13

What does surface rehabilitation mean, they're digging up bushes in the middle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My understanding is that it means "we f**ked it up when we put it in day 1 and didn't do it properly so now we're going to be in some temporary lanes in the middle of the road so we can put all the traffic on 1 side of the road, then do some patch work job of resurfacing then we'll do the other side, we'll also do it when the bad weather is due so it'll cause chaos"

Clareman wrote: »
    My understanding is that it means "we f**ked it up when we put it in day 1 and didn't do it properly so now we're going to be in some temporary lanes in the middle of the road so we can put all the traffic on 1 side of the road, then do some patch work job of resurfacing then we'll do the other side, we'll also do it when the bad weather is due so it'll cause chaos"

That road has been dug up so many times in the last 15 years its ridiculous.

They built a road on bog by just laying tar on top of it, they also neglected to leave an alternative route so any job they do to fix it now will only be a patch at best. I reckon that road is a little over 20 years old, I think for Euro 88 the main road was past Durty Nelly's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Apparently it's sinking according to the Independent.ie
    SINKING N18 GETS HELP

URGENT works have begun to repair a two-kilometre section of one of the country's busiest roads that has been sinking for several years.

For the second time in a decade, sections of the N18 Shannon to Limerick dual-carriageway at Bunratty in Co Clare will be dug up for the works which are expected to last 10-12 weeks. A 50kph speed limit will be in place.

There's about 5 lads working on it at any time. 10-12 weeks? 10-12 months more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

On passing it again today I'm guessing they're digging up the bushes at either side of the road works to allow traffic from one side of the carriageway to cross to the other. Then they close off the complete stretch of road on one side while they "rehabilitate" it and the other side becomes two way for the duration of the works.

Travelling to Limerick the other night. I wish people would slow down a bit now that the traffic is single lane. Driving in the back window of the car in front of you won't make them go any faster and there's nowhere to overtake! So a bit of patience by some drivers would be great. Oh, yes and turn off the full headlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When are people going to take down all the clare bunting etc, I'm sick of looking at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

When are people going to take down all the clare bunting etc, I'm sick of looking at it?

Probably not till next september!

Sure there's still yellow and blue fertilizer bags up since '95 around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Radio5 wrote: »
    Travelling to Limerick the other night. I wish people would slow down a bit now that the traffic is single lane. Driving in the back window of the car in front of you won't make them go any faster and there's nowhere to overtake! So a bit of patience by some drivers would be great. Oh, yes and turn off the full headlights.
    I know! Those ambulances can be a pain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That road has been dug up so many times in the last 15 years its ridiculous.
    Here's my gripe. If you paid a builder to do a job and he messed it up you'd sue him and get him to fix it free of further charge. Where are the clowns that made a balls of this road in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Here's my gripe. If you paid a builder to do a job and he messed it up you'd sue him and get him to fix it free of further charge. Where are the clowns that made a balls of this road in the first place?

Still employed by the council?

• Advertisement

Coming out of Limerick yesterday evening, many cars were overtaking in the fast lane before it splits into just the one lane. It was actaully faster to have one lane because of all the traffic moving back to the one lane.

So by people trying to speed up their situation they actually made it slower for everyone :rolleyes:

If anyone remembers the oil spillage a while back, it would have been just like that.

Advertisement