Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MrsD007 wrote: »

Ah right I got you now, was thinking of the wrong hospital. Good to see it open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stansgone wrote: »
    Dublin. If its any consolation, North county Dublin.

Doesn't make sense to me either, but they've got their own lingo!
    I kinda want to know what that means now, did she used to say it any times in particular, do you have aunts or uncles that'd know?

Maybe it was rhyming slang for something

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who won the lotto in Lahinch ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

fryup wrote: »
    who won the lotto in Lahinch ??

It wasn't me anyway!

Dont miss this on Sunday morning!
    http://www.cannonball.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=2

On Sunday morning Cannonballers will leave Limerick at 10am and go to Killaloe for a very special Gathering of the 'Men of the Water'. From there the cars will move on to Cashel in Tipperary at 1:30pm where they will close a Cannonball Festival before descending on Tullamore in County Offaly at 6pm for the finish line where the roars of the engines will compete with a cheering crowd of over 10,000 people.

I think they're meeting outside Flannagans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If I ever won the lotto I'd be keeping it private. Imagine all the people you don't like turning up looking for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I passed Houlihan's Solicitors in Bindon Street this morning on my way to the library, I love their Clare colours!

02F32266CBB94CF285F1DFF1753C43DD-0000360729-0003347739-00640L-B681B5D31F914DB8ABC500E9AD53982D.jpg

aaahhh trudy got upset reading her last news on clare fm, anyone else hear it this morning??

aaahhh trudy got upset reading her last news on clare fm, anyone else hear it this morning??
    Didn't hear it so I've no idea what happened but I've great respect for newsreaders, it much be very difficult to stay composed when you have to read out tragic or distressing news reports.

I used to love the early days of Clare FM, when some of the newsreaders who would mispronounce the names of townlands and villages during the death announcements :D To be fair to them most were from outside the county so it was understandable, it was funny all the same.

Edit: Just noticed it was Trudy's last bulletin, best of luck to her :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Didn't hear it so I've no idea what happened but I've great respect for newsreaders, it much be very difficult to stay composed when you have to read out tragic or distressing news reports.

I used to love the early days of Clare FM, when some of the newsreaders who would mispronounce the names of townlands and villages during the death announcements :D To be fair to them most were from outside the county so it was understandable, it was funny all the same.

Edit: Just noticed it was Trudy's last bulletin, best of luck to her :)

My mother wouldn't listen to Clare FM at the start cause of all the mistakes they were making.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yeah I heard it. They said she is going to Tipp Fm. They were chatting for at least 5 minutes, was funny all the same. I think she was taking the piss at bits of it though. She wasn't crying reading the news though, it was just after

In fairness to them, the quality of the news on the station is very good.

Best of luck to her. She was always very well respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Clareman wrote: »
    My mother wouldn't listen to Clare FM at the start cause of all the mistakes they were making.

They have a add running at the moment where they pronounce Toonagh as Tuna!

Mr. G wrote: »
    Yeah I heard it. They said she is going to Tipp Fm. They were chatting for at least 5 minutes, was funny all the same.

:eek:

Yeah I heard it. They said she is going to Tipp Fm. They were chatting for at least 5 minutes, was funny all the same. I think she was taking the piss at bits of it though. She wasn't crying reading the news though, it was just after

In fairness to them, the quality of the news on the station is very good.

Best of luck to her. She was always very well respected.
    :eek:

Last year, Clare FM tookover Tipp FM so I presume the alliance will give presenters an opportunity to move between both stations.

http://www.clare.fm/news/clare-fm-set-takeover-tipperary-radio-station

CLARE FM and Tipp FM are to join up in a move that is hoped to deliver cost savings and "enhance quality of service at the stations".

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/clare-fm-and-tipp-fm-join-up-to-cut-costs-26869476.html

Does anyone know where I can get a babies hurling jersey? I'm looking for age 1+. O Neills online only have 6-12 months :(

Someone told me Pennys or Dunnes might have tee shirts??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Carazy wrote: »
    They have a add running at the moment where they pronounce Toonagh as Tuna!

But which pronunciation of tuna?

Toona?
    Teuna?
    Choona?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Chucken wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a babies hurling jersey? I'm looking for age 1+. O Neills online only have 6-12 months :(

I got my little 1 the O'Neill's pink Clare jersey at the start of the season, they are lovely and there's still loads of space in it for her. Their online service is brilliant as well btw, couldn't recommend it enough.

ACtually, looking at their site you can get the proper jersey from ages 1-2 the baby jersey stops at 12 months alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Balagan wrote: »

Toona?
    Teuna?
    Choona?

Toonagh is pronounced as 'toona'

ClareFM's add pronounces it 'chew-na'

Edit: Just heard the add at 13.30 and it's been changed. :-)

Clareman wrote: »
    I got my little 1 the O'Neill's pink Clare jersey at the start of the season, they are lovely and there's still loads of space in it for her. Their online service is brilliant as well btw, couldn't recommend it enough.

ACtually, looking at their site you can get the proper jersey from ages 1-2 the baby jersey stops at 12 months alright.

Thanks Clareman. Panic averted :)

any update on the lotto winner in lahinch

was it a local? was it a tourist??

It was someone from Co. Limerick who said she will use it to pay off her bills :eek: and buy some diamonds in Tiffanys...

• Advertisement

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/community/mystery-limerick-woman-wins-6m-lahinch-lotto-1-5412224

Toona?
    Teuna?
    Choona?

Yeah its pronounced Toona.

Try pronouncing Knockaunanerrigal without stopping ;)

Knockaunanerrigal...there I said it :D

Wheres that?

Knockaunanerrigal...there I said it :D

Wheres that?

There you typed it :D I find it hard to say it off without stopping :)

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Knockaunanerrigal,+Clare&hl=en&ll=52.890263,-9.042435&spn=0.289583,0.727158&sll=52.912629,-9.0905&sspn=0.144717,0.363579&oq=Knockaunanerrigal+clare&hnear=Knockaunanerrigal,+County+Clare&t=m&z=11

Its just up the road from Toonagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I got these for the nephew abroad
    http://thehurlingstore.ie/cat/county-baby/clare-baby/

Very cute :D

Well theres my geography lesson for today :o
    angelfire9 wrote: »
    I got these for the nephew abroad
    http://thehurlingstore.ie/cat/county-baby/clare-baby/

Very cute :D

Aw, they're gorgeous :) I might have to get one of those as well.

It was someone from Co. Limerick who said she will use it to pay off her bills :eek: and buy some diamonds in Tiffanys...

don't tell me it was Dolores again

don't tell me it was Dolores again

That would be hilarious :(

Great morning had by all at the Cannonball Run in Ballina.

Though as a total heathen when it comes to cars, I may have upset a few folk by not drooling over a Ferrari that cost 1,000,000stg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Toona?
    Teuna?
    Choona?

Its toona, take it from someone who lives there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Its toona, take it from someone who lives there!

I am acquainted with Toonagh and some of its inhabitants and its correct pronunciation but I was curious about which of the varying pronunciations of 'tuna' ClareFM was using to refer to your illustrious townland. Apparently it was 'chewna' but the station has since seen the error of its ways and corrected it!

Advertisement