Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Does anyone know if students in the Coláiste still say a 'Hail Mary' at the start of every lesson (every 40 minutes) ?.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just asked the wife there (she thought it was a very strange question btw), when she was there they used to only do it when it was a nun teacher, I suppose that's still the way.

Is Mrs. Clareman slagging me off? lol :D

It's a weird question alright :D There was an item on the Pat Kenny Show yesterday about the Minister for Education's plan to remove a large number of schools out of Catholic patronage and giving parents greater choice when choosing schools for their children - Educate Together, Gael Schools etc.

Anyway, it got me thinking about my own school days and I wondered if the practice of praying every 40 minutes was still going on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I didn't tell her that someone from the internet was asking, she thinks I'm odd enough as it is :)

I went to Flannan's in the 90s and I can't say that there was much of an over-bearing religious doctrine, there was a Religion class up to 3rd year and you could go to mass at lunch time during Lent if you wanted, that was about it, I think...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if students in the Coláiste still say a 'Hail Mary' at the start of every lesson (every 40 minutes) ?.

My daughter goes there and she looked at me funny and said no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Random question for a random thread: where I can buy large (ish) quantities of Indian spices in Ennis? I get through those Schwarz bottles pretty quickly, has to be a cheaper option out there!
    I know there are a few ethnic shops around but can anyone direct me to a good one for spices, haven't got time to check them all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

emer_b wrote: »
    Random question for a random thread: where I can buy large (ish) quantities of Indian spices in Ennis? I get through those Schwarz bottles pretty quickly, has to be a cheaper option out there!

I know there are a few ethnic shops around but can anyone direct me to a good one for spices, haven't got time to check them all out.
    Baraka on the Mill Road

My sister in law wanted to get some proper spices and ended up going for dinner at the Indian on Carmody St. for dinner and got talking to the owner and asked where to get spices, he ended up getting them for her, you could try that, cost you a nice dinner at worst :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Serious tailbacks on the N18. If you're coming from Limerick heading Northbound i.e Shannon, Ennis, Galway direction use back roads.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Serious tailbacks on the N18. If you're coming from Limerick heading Northbound i.e Shannon, Ennis, Galway direction use back roads.
    Link

Took me 1 hour 10 to get from coonagh to SMB.

• Advertisement

RTE's Nationwide carried a report this evening on 'Seol Sionna', they're a volunteer boat building group who recently constructed a replica of an old 'turf boat' in Querrin, West Clare.

Here is a link to the report on the RTE Player

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10108480/

The report starts at 16:08

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The Wedding dress shop in Killaloe is featured on "Dont tell the Bride" tonight at 9.30 on RTE 2. I'll presume its a locals wedding.

http://www.amoremio.ie/index.php/

Thanks for the heads up Chucken! The couple appear to be Galway based.

it's nice that Amore Mio got a plug, it's a beautiful store. Poppy Bridal in Ennis is also featured.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83102762&postcount=2124

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

I finished there in 95 & have no memory of that..except for 1 sow of a nun who has to be retired by now!! I'm open to correction tho.
    I'm on about the Colaiste/prayer comment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Do you ever look at old photographs of yourself & at the time you thought they were best left in your memory lane. You look back on them now..and you think.. God I wasint half bad back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

poppyvally wrote: »
    Do you ever look at old photographs of yourself & at the time you thought they were best left in your memory lane. You look back on them now..and you think.. God I wasint half bad back then!

I always look better in hindsight :D

It is almost Valentine's Day and Clare FM still have Santa hats on their website :confused::confused::confused:

Edit: Nice to see some prompt action, they've updated the website now :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

They must have read your post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

They use some info they get from here from time to time I have noticed.

I'd be shocked if all Irish media outlets don't use boards for information, it is by far the largest discussion site in Ireland

• Advertisement

I visit the Clare FM website every morning, I find it very handy for looking up obituaries. If you're a townie, the Ennis Parish website is very good too.

Rip.ie is very handy for funeral notices as well.
    I've about 4 or 5 sites I visit first thing in the morning, Irish Times, Examiner, BBC, Linkedin and Boards, boards used to be the first on the list, but being a mod means you can be brought straight into something so I tend to try to ease into my day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Twitter, Boards and The Journal are what I check first in the morning. All my mail tends to be spam so don't check that until I'm bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Passing Govt offices on the Kilrush Rd late the other nite and noticed there were 3 outside lights left switched on, on one of the buildings. Not the Social Welfare one , the one on your right if you turned off the Kilrush Rd and were driving in towards the Driving Test Centre. I couldn't see lights on inside the building. Just wondering why ? If its security could they not have sensor lights ? Is there need to have them on all night? Seems like a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Possibly to help the 'wild life' find their way about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Anyone know where I can find out what pharmacy will be open in Ennis tomorrow? The pharmacies do some kind of rotation for Sundays and bank holidays don't they?

Boots in O'Connell Street will be open tomorrow from midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Forgot to mention did you hear about the dolphins in the river outside Durty Nelly's in Bunratty. I didn't believe it until I saw them with my own eyes.

Forgot to mention did you hear about the dolphins in the river outside Durty Nelly's in Bunratty. I didn't believe it until I saw them with my own eyes.
    Have you any pictures for us? I'd love to see them if you have :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Must admit I thought it was an April Fools thing when I first heard it ...

http://www.meteotimes.net/2013/04/fears-for-dolphins-in-ratty-river-co.html

Advertisement