Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Unfortunately not, I just hope they find their way out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've just been watching a news report on the Six-One news about Shannon Airport. The airport has given contractors permission to cut all grass around the airport (about 300 acres) to help out Clare farmers who are under pressure because of the fodder crisis.

Fair play to whoever came up with the idea, it's a win win situation for everyone, the airport get the grass cut and the farmers get much needed aid. It's a great example of goodwill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

Lads, We'll need more than shannon Airport to rectify the problems in fodder we have... Would they let us fly the planes full of fodder from UK free also :-)

I've just been reading the following .... will this aid package help? I'd imagine some farmers would struggle to pay for bales (even if they were reduced by one-third).
    €1 million is being allocated to an imported fodder transport scheme which will operate through the County’s Dairy co-operatives (milk purchasers). It will cover forage imported by the co-ops from 15th April 2013 to 3rd May 2013 and will be subject to EU State Aid rules.

The new scheme will substantially cover the cost of transport into the country and will reduce the cost to Clare farmers of a bale of hay by approximately one third.

A third.......They are ignoring the fact that all fodder has gone up massively in price in the last few months!

• Advertisement

A third.......They are ignoring the fact that all fodder has gone up massively in price in the last few months!
    The Shannon Airport bales will cost €12 and they hope to help 100 farmers.

Fair play, every little helps.

Fair play, every little helps.
    I was listening to the Minister for Agriculture, Simon Coveney yesterday on the Pat Kenny radio programme and he claimed that if any farmer couldn't afford to pay for feed, his department would ensure that these farmers would receive free bales. He also mentioned something about issuing some farm payments early (payments that would normally be paid in October). I really hope the farmers get the assistance they need, people slag them off but the current crisis is really tough.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I was listening to the Minister for Agriculture, Simon Coveney yesterday on the Pat Kenny radio programme and he claimed that if any farmer couldn't afford to pay for feed, his department would ensure that these farmers would receive free bales. He also mentioned something about issuing some farm payments early (payments that would normally be paid in October). I really hope the farmers get the assistance they need, people slag them off but the current crisis is really tough.

Its a very good idea. I recall something like this going on 1994/95 at the airport?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very good idea and very nice of the airport.

I have 2 questions about this fodder issue though that I can't get my head around, but that's because I'm an IT geek who knows nothing about farming, 1 why if the farmers can't afford to keep the cattle don't they sell them and 2 surely the high price of fodder is cause other farmers are charging more for it, surely farmers should be helping themselves rather than profiting from the misfortune of others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Clareman wrote: »
    Very good idea and very nice of the airport.

I have 2 questions about this fodder issue though that I can't get my head around, but that's because I'm an IT geek who knows nothing about farming, 1 why if the farmers can't afford to keep the cattle don't they sell them and 2 surely the high price of fodder is cause other farmers are charging more for it, surely farmers should be helping themselves rather than profiting from the misfortune of others.

Speaking as a farmer Clareman I dont why know some of the farmers with no fodder wont offload some stock, It puzzles me as much as you. Its not so much that fodder is dearer at the moment because most local farmers will look after other local farmers if they have it for the same price they were getting other years, The problem is that all the fodder has been used and you cant buy something that doesnt exist. A lot of farmers have been supplementing hay and silage with concentrate feeds from the co-op's on credit all winter too and I would imagine their credit has run out until they fix up for whats owed. Anyway summer is only around the corner and hopefully it will be a bit better than the last one because its been a long 10 months.

Clareman wrote: »
    I have 2 questions about this fodder issue though that I can't get my head around, but that's because I'm an IT geek who knows nothing about farming, 1 why if the farmers can't afford to keep the cattle don't they sell them .
    Speaking as a farmer Clareman I dont why know some of the farmers with no fodder wont offload some stock, It puzzles me as much as you.

Okay, I'm not a farmer but I would imagine that most farmers would never have envisaged that we would have had such a bad summer last year and an early and prolonged winter which resulted in very poor growth levels.

As for farmers offloading stock, I'd imagine that now might not be a great time to sell as I'd expect prices would be low. I'd question who would be in the market for purchasing stock with so many struggling to feed what they have. As for the mart/factory they're not going to be in a rush to pay high prices when there is a glut of cattle for sale.

I'd say that some farmers were holding out for good weather in April as traditionally it tends to be a good month but that hasn't happened :(.

I remember when I was teenager working for a small family business, my boss used to always say 'When the farmer is in trouble, we're [local businesses] all in trouble'. Farmers tend to spend a lot of money in the local economy - cars, machinery, fuel, feeds, local veterinary services, maintenance equipment and repair etc.

Hopefully, things look up soon.

I'm not a farmer but I was talking to someone about this and he said its €12 each and that they're not wrapped.

Neighbouring farmers do help eachother, and some would have some from 2011. Cattle have been in since early September and are still in. Does anyone recall a similar suituation around 1993/4 where the airport did this?

Hopefully we will have a good summer, we could all do with it!

I suppose that some farmers don't want to sell their cattle or can't as there isn't a demand.

Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm not a farmer but I was talking to someone about this and he said its €12 each and that they're not wrapped.

Neighbouring farmers do help eachother, and some would have some from 2011. Cattle have been in since early September and are still in. Does anyone recall a similar suituation around 1993/4 where the airport did this?

Hopefully we will have a good summer, we could all do with it!

I suppose that some farmers don't want to sell their cattle or can't as there isn't a demand.

Most catttle were bought dear last year and the trade was booming, a lot of these farmers will only get now what they paid for them after feeding them for one year which is a fair hit to take....however if the cattle are so hungry that one dies (and if one does die of hunger you can be sure there is another few going very quickly after it) you have a knackery bill and no money at all for your animal. Nobody wants to sell anything at a loss but its the lesser of two evil's in a lot of cases. Did anyone see that gob****e counciller from Cork that said he had lost seven cattle from hunger because he couldnt get any more credit from the co-op on rte news a few evenings back? I would love to know what he was hoping to achieve by it and he hasnt gotten too much sympathy on the Farming and Forestry forum. It has been a sickening year for farmers and both myself and my neighbors have had to sell catle we would normally summer because we have no place for them and even though it did not pay to keep them it was still the right thing to do. 12 euro a bale is what most contractor's are charging now so the grass is free as such and theres no need to wrap if they will be used within a week or two, fair play to Shannon airport for helping out. Like was said moust farmers are selling silage for what they charged other years and are not taking advantage of the situation , theres a few chancers alright but they will be remembered for it ;)

Okay, I'm not a farmer but I would imagine that most farmers would never have envisaged that we would have had such a bad summer last year and an early and prolonged winter which resulted in very poor growth levels.

As for farmers offloading stock, I'd imagine that now might not be a great time to sell as I'd expect prices would be low. I'd question who would be in the market for purchasing stock with so many struggling to feed what they have. As for the mart/factory they're not going to be in a rush to pay high prices when there is a glut of cattle for sale.

I'd say that some farmers were holding out for good weather in April as traditionally it tends to be a good month but that hasn't happened :(.

I remember when I was teenager working for a small family business, my boss used to always say 'When the farmer is in trouble, we're [local businesses] all in trouble'. Farmers tend to spend a lot of money in the local economy - cars, machinery, fuel, feeds, local veterinary services, maintenance equipment and repair etc.

Hopefully, things look up soon.

When your up sh1t creek all you can do is cut your losses really MrsD. A lot of they big buyers up the country are having trouble getting finance of the banks to buy the same amount of stock they normally would which is also affecting prices a bit. Im with you 100% when you say that most of the money goes back into the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did anyone see that gob****e counciller from Cork that said he had lost seven cattle from hunger because he couldnt get any more credit from the co-op on rte news a few evenings back?

No I didn't ..... but I hope he gets hammered for maltreating animals in his care.

I also agree with you .... some farmers who cannot properly keep their stock should take the hit and sell on even at a loss.

It is unfortunate it has come to this, but it happens to a lot of people .... even those not in farming ... during the bad times.
    It is good to see the airport permitting the grass to be taken for feed.

I had not realised things were as bad as they are regarding feed, until recently.
    Maybe the recent 'warmish' spell will encourage a bit of growth.

MDid anyone see that gob****e counciller from Cork that said he had lost seven cattle from hunger because he couldnt get any more credit from the co-op on rte news a few evenings back? I would love to know what he was hoping to achieve by it and he hasnt gotten too much sympathy on the Farming and Forestry forum.

I was listening to Mairead Lavery (Farming Independent) recently and she was stressing how important it is for the farming community to look out and help each other at the moment. Some farmers are struggling to cop emotionally and mentally with the strain, some even have taken drastic measures because they couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. The HSE have even set up the Farm and Rural Stress Helpline.

She was also making that point that most farmers couldn't bear the thought of their animals going short, for some it would be like watching their children going hungry. It might seem OTT to most but I've a couple of uncles involved in farming and I know that's how they would be.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/farm-feed-crisis-has-intensified-29198169.html

White-tailed eagles have been born in Ireland for the first time in 100 years.

A pair of eagles successfully hatched two chicks near Mountshannon, Co Clare.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/whitetailed-eagles-born-in-wild-for-first-time-in-over-a-century-29251566.html

RTE's Local Heroes Television Programme features Killaloe/Ballina this evening.

Programme 1: Wednesday 8th May 2013 (RTE 1 @ 8:30pm).

Killaloe/ Ballina Love Weekends
    With only two busy months in the year for tourists, the idyllic and picturesque twin towns of Killaloe and Ballina are struggling. A local group of business people and volunteers have come together to attract people to the area in the off-season.

The group want to get a tourist initiative up and running before the summer season kicks in. After a few false starts, the group decides on 'love weekends'- discounts and offers aimed to bring couples to the town once a month. Everyone is on board, but with the clock ticking, they still have don't have bookings. After consulting a local marketing expert, Susie Horgan, she feels that while their product is good, their ability to promote it is letting them down - they need a unique event to spark interest in the weekends.

http://www.rte.ie/localheroes/eps1.html

Must remember to watch that! Could be on tv. Nah I'm not famous, never will be.

Mrs D would have passed me out

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    Must remember to watch that! Could be on tv. Nah I'm not famous, never will be.

Mrs D would have passed me out
    We may not be famous but we have a great set of initials between us ;)

dg.gif

I wasn't! Its a really good idea, and looked like great craic

This week's 'O'Gorman' TV programme featured the West Clare Railway.

Paddy O'Gorman took a trip on the Slieve Callan steam engine to Moyasta. He also visited Ennis for the Fleadh Nua festival.

The programme is repeated tonight on RTE 1+1 at 9:30pm, it will also be available on the RTE Player. I'm not a fan of Paddy's usually but I thought it was nice programme.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/date/latest/

There is a new Spar food store opened in Lifford, next to St. Joseph's Hospital. It's nice to see a shop in that unit again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stansgone

When I was a nipper, my mam used to tell me, "you have your dit dit in buckets". I wonder what she meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stansgone wrote: »
    When I was a nipper, my mam used to tell me, "you have your dit dit in buckets". I wonder what she meant.

What county was she from?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a new Spar food store opened in Lifford, next to St. Joseph's Hospital. It's nice to see a shop in that unit again :)

Is this the place that used to be a shop, then a chipper/Chinese? Across the roundabout from Kelly's korner?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stansgone

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What county was she from?

Dublin. If its any consolation, North county Dublin.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is this the place that used to be a shop, then a chipper/Chinese? Across the roundabout from Kelly's korner?
    No Colm, it's the unit beside Martin Kavanagh's Butchers. As far as I know, it has always been a supermarket.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=lifford+road+ennis&hl=en&ll=52.850863,-8.978929&spn=0.000756,0.001837&safe=active&hnear=Lifford+Rd,+Ennis&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.850863,-8.978929&panoid=cWUqSbGpvE_HSNKVpn1xHQ&cbp=12,312.75,,0,0.96

• Advertisement

Love the new avatar Mrs D :)

Advertisement