Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

no signal on any channel now. mt. leinster

mux 2 on from mt. leinster showing tg4, 3e, rte news now on ch 54

I'd say that was Kippure or Three Rock rather than Mount Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ch.54 is not from Mt. Leinster, the 2nd mux is on Ch. 39 I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

most of the time getting channels on ch45

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mux 2 powered up again at Mullaghanish, duplicate of Mux 1 content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux 2 powered up again at Mullaghanish, duplicate of Mux 1 content.
    RTENL seem to be testing mux 2 a lot from Mullaghanish. I wonder is there any particular reason for this?

Picking up a very weak signal on ch 24 looks like mux 2 from Mullaganish is fired up. Can anyone confirm please.

Picking up a very weak signal on ch 24 looks like mux 2 from Mullaganish is fired up. Can anyone confirm please.

Yes, it's been up since this morning. Killing my Woodcock Hill Ch 47 (side-on aerial) reception.

It been off and on in recent times, got tired of posting the information. I think they're just playing with us :D

I suppose it's just a copy of mux 1.I Guess we are not missing much at the moment. We most likely won't see mux 2 fired up on all transmitters until RTE 2 HD moves over in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Cush, are you losing a signal on Ch 47 because of a mux on Ch 24? I must be missing something!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Yes, it's been up since this morning. Killing my Woodcock Hill Ch 47 (side-on aerial) reception.

Would that be Cnoc an Oir (47V) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Peter Rhea wrote: »

It could be - it's due to be on air sometime soon:

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/transmitters/

The Cush, are you losing a signal on Ch 47 because of a mux on Ch 24? I must be missing something!

Odd indeed. I've posted about it before.

It's a hi-gain Gp A aerial for Mullaghanish (with masthead amp). Since Mar 2009 it's been pulling in Woodcock Hill side-on, 40-60% signal strength. But whenever Ch 24 is switched on Woodcock Hill reception disappears. It's been a good indicator to me that Ch 24 Mullaghanish is powered up.

As Justin says "RF Reception Really Is A Black Art"
    Peter Rhea wrote: »

No, not a chance of that in east Co Limerick. I've been receiving Woodcock Hill side on my Mullaghanish Gp A aerial since they both started engineering test transmissions in Mar 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

. But whenever Ch 24 is switched on Woodcock Hill reception disappears.

Do you by any chance have a modulator (or modulators) in use? try turning it off and see if that makes a difference to the above.

Antenna wrote: »
    Do you by any chance have a modulator (or modulators) in use?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Justin Case III

From what I can gather there is no definate start date yet for Mux 2, but as the individual transposers for Mux 1 are being turned on, the relavent main station Mux 2s are also being switched on (temperarily), to test the new transposer's Mux 2. This is common practice in the industry as it saves time should any faults accur after the next phase is launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Seeing a signal on 58, not as strong as 54's and not locking. Anyone else noticed it ?

Mux 2 channel 55 from Maghera is now fired up. The signal quality keeps dropping in and out and the signal strength is around eight. I'm not picking up any channels i take it this is because the signal quality is not locked in and also there maybe nothing on it. Channel 48 from Maghera is fine good signal quality and strength.

Same here on channel 55 from Maghera. Channel 48 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Have ch 58 from Three Rock, quality and strength are 100%, the same as ch 54.
    No services on it at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

If it's coming off Three Rock and not Kippure, that would explain the difference in signal between 54 and 58 where I am. Anyone in Kippure only land ?

Mullaghanish Mux 2 has now gone to carrier with no content. Mux 2 nationwide by the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is there any way of telling from the stream itself what transmitter it's coming from? I've always assumed I'm getting my signal from 3 Rock but it's only a little stick antenna, not directional at all, and I'm getting zilch on ch 58, so maybe I'm picking it up from somewhere else. I can see 3 Rock from my window though, so it seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Signal on 39 from Mount Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

signal on 44 Cairn Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Signal also now on channel 57 from Clairmont Carn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

For the first time today, I'm getting a second mux from the Mitchelstown relay ( at least I presume it's from Mitchelstown ) on CH43 ( Mux1 is on CH40 ). It's 10 out of 10 for signal strength and quality, but no channels, just a blank signal. Can anyone confirm that CH43 is allocated to Mitchelstown and would this second mux have anything to do with RTE2 HD launching at the weekend ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    For the first time today, I'm getting a second mux from the Mitchelstown relay ( at least I presume it's from Mitchelstown ) on CH43 ( Mux1 is on CH40 ). It's 10 out of 10 for signal strength and quality, but no channels, just a blank signal. Can anyone confirm that CH43 is allocated to Mitchelstown and would this second mux have anything to do with RTE2 HD launching at the weekend ?
    I was thinking this when i saw that mux 2 was fired up this morning but i thought RTE2 HD wasn't moving over to mux 2 until September. Other than that i can't find any other reason for mux 2 to be fired up as there is no other channels to put on it at launch.

I was thinking this when i saw that mux 2 was fired up this morning but i thought RTE2 HD wasn't moving over to mux 2 until September. Other than that i can't find any other reason for mux 2 to be fired up as there is no other channels to put on it at launch.

Mux 2 activity going on all over, online by the weekend?

The Ministerial Decision requires Mux 2 to be available for RTÉ 2 HD - no date specified. The Sept date refers to the time share channels RTE One +1/RTÉjr which must transfer from Mux 1 to Mux 2 from 1st Sept.
    1.1 Conditions under which Ministerial Consent is granted

Conditions attaching to Specific Channels

1. RTÉ Two HD Select channel is required to be carried on the second multiplex;

2. The knowledge gained from technical trialling of the HD channel will be shared with other broadcasters;

3. RTÉ should aim to provide for full HD versions of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two as soon as practicable and by mid 2013 at the latest;

4. The RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel shall be carried on the first multiplex until 1 September 2011 and from 1 September 2011 shall be transferred to the second multiplex;

5. No advertising is permitted on the RTÉjr or RTÉ News Now channel;

6. In respect of RTÉjr and RTÉ News Now, RTÉ shall review Phase 2 of these channel proposals on foot of the suggestions set out in the public consultation in order to further enhance the public value of the channels.

7. RTÉ Plus: Phase 1 only is approved and for a period of 4 years only until February 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That looks like the pisswater that passed for policy making in Eamon Ryans day but my reading is that as HD launch is Saturday then RTE2 HD should be on Mux 2 as and from that date!

Maybe RTENL read the decision and cranked up Mux 2 in a panic. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement