Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal in drunken tarts* in the pub?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 prinou

Emme wrote: »

Why not if it's true? I never suggested that EVERYONE dressed classily or was terribly witty in those hypothetical countries, but there ARE societies where people are more relaxed with the opposite gender and enjoy talking to each other.

YES Emme. I completely agree. You pin point it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

prinou wrote: »
    If that forum that has turned into good girl versus bad girl versus who should start the conversation was in another country in europe, I bet you at that stage , with that number of posts there would have been some phone number exchange, both gals and guys would be listening carefully to each other for tips on how to pick up your targeted person, and it would be hot hot hot with provocation ! what it is about being aggressive and defensive, saying to women they are probably ugly ... do you seduce a lot with those techniques ??? chillax ! be charming !

I am very happily with my girlfriend, so i don't really care who thinks i'm charming as long as she does. :)

With regards to the ugly comment, i was making a ridiculous statement in reply to a ridiculous statement...it's called engaging in hyperbole and also contained and added hint of humour, as all the best hyperbole does.

This is a commen trait of the Irish sense of humour and is something especially used on boards.ie Don't take everything so seriously and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

@logica : Filtering glasses, that allows you to see only the good and deny the bad. they come in pink usually.

I don't see the bad because i don't go to **** pubs and clubs that show football matches and have silly drunken tarts with catwalk attitudes but Dunnes Stores clothing. I go to pubs with music i like and people i like who don't really give a **** and are just out to have some fun and a good chat.

I CAN see the bad, the thing is i avoid what i consider is "bad" rather than sitting on the internet and bitching about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Emme wrote: »
    Why not if it's true? I never suggested that EVERYONE dressed classily or was terribly witty in those hypothetical countries, but there ARE societies where people are more relaxed with the opposite gender and enjoy talking to each other. They're not as likely to huddle around pints or handbags and stagger over drunk five minutes to getting-kicked-out time with a slurred pick-up line as the Irish. OK, not EVERYONE in Ireland does this, but this sort of thing seems to happen more often here than anywhere else.

That is perhaps your personal experience. I'd disagree strongly however. I see sentences like "They're not as likely to huddle around pints or handbags and stagger over drunk five minutes to getting-kicked-out time with a slurred pick-up line as the Irish" as being needlessly hostile. You do add it is not everyone, but even that sentence suggests it is at least a large amount of people. This nonsense that Irish men only ever engage in conversation 5 minutes before closing time is just plain wrong.

There are places in Ireland were people are relaxed with the opposite gender and talk to each other. Same as there are places that do not. Same as there are examples of each of these everywhere else in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

A tart is a person who goes around sleeping with random strangers. Why is it a bit much to call them tarts thats what they are? im a male slut if someone calls me that i dont have a problem with it cause its the truth???

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Raekwon wrote: »
    Alot of guys don't have to imagine this scenario because the majority of them do it every other weekend. I do get your point, eye contact often helps but when I was single I'd often approach a women that I found attractive even if she didn't even look at me.

I think Galvasean's point of women not approaching men is a very valid one. Okay women can hide behind excuses like they fear rejection or are shy etc, etc, but men have the exact same fears but have no choice but to do all of the work all of the time.

That doesn't sound like equality to me.

i don't think it's quite the same. men are very much more looks-oriented than women. i've heard the arguments against it but it's just a fact. not only are the millions of threads on thousands of forums about good looking women as compared to the pitiful number of threads discussing good looking men a testament, but also a perusal of things women and men like about the opposite sex. men will say they're not all into skinny girls but then when they say they like curvy they don't mean extra weight, they mean fit and voluptuous. whereas womens' threads will say point blank that they like a bit of extra weight.

so it's not so similar as it might seem. that said i do think more women should approach men, but i do think it is harder for them to do so simply because so much of their worth is in their looks, and that's the first thing most people judge a person on, especially in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

depends on if its tarts or sluts, the attention seeking tarts covered in fake tan looking to be bought drinks and the like - cant stand them and have no time for them , sluts on the other hand (look similar to tarts but just want the ride) i welcome their presence , minimal effort and no expense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

depends on if its tarts or sluts, the attention seeking tarts covered in fake tan looking to be bought drinks and the like - cant stand them and have no time for them , sluts on the other hand (look similar to tarts but just want the ride) i welcome their presence , minimal effort and no expense

charming :rolleyes:

@OP, personally as a girl, I don't like the fake tan, over the top dressed look either. But I find the labelling of girls, tarts, sluts, whores, whatever...equally as repulsive. Just an opinion though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Iv no problem with drunken tarts, I like a woman who knows what she wants and drunken tarts want the same thing that I want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement