Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal in drunken tarts* in the pub?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I do actually mean tarts, as in dolled up, fake tanned girls that get drunk as possible and throw themselves at men.
    I don't mean the girls that are just drunk and whatnot.

Anyway, being in my early 20s I never once seen the appeal of it. I get it when a nice girl walks in and we're all basically "she's a looker" but... what's the appeal with one who can barely stand or talk? I mean yeah sure, I'm not the best fella to go talking to girls and I'm a bit shy but I've always rather approach a girl that I assume will be able to speak at the end of the night in English and not drunken English.

On the other hand, I can't name a single fella that I know or met that is like me (apart from anyone who doesn't drink). TBH, if I know a girl is fairly buckled, I'm instantly unattracted to her.

What does everyone else think?

Small edit to make it clear: A poster found my OP to be a tad unclear. What I mean is girls who do not just "get drunk" but actually are tarts and as such, I believe part of being a tart (from my own experience in pubs and clubs) is that they aim to get drunk as possible, rather than just end up drunk from drinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm with you. I'm as hot blooded as any other bloke but I don't see the appeal in the slightest. I don't like drunkem attention seekers, male or female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

TBH, if I know a girl is fairly buckled, I'm instantly unattracted to her.

+1 major turn off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You start off talking about tarts, girls plastered with makeup, short skirts, out for the ride and drunk off their heads but then the final question is rather general about drunk women - not sure what to answer but here goes.

I refused to have sex with a girl who was hammered even when she started biting my ear teasing me, put her hand down my trousers and started whispering into my ear. I was drunk at the time myself, but I've done it sober too. I don't see the appeal myself either, not when they're so drunk they can barely talk.

There's nothing wrong with a little drink to lighten the mood and lower a few inhibitions but like you said, there is a point where it's a turnoff.

All of that being said, I'm sure I've made quite the fool of myself wandering around absolutely rotten drunk trying to chat to women. It works both ways, maybe even more for women than men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Beer goggles change everything. If you look at it from the persepctive that you are sober or don't drink then very drunk people are not really an attractive or welcoming sight. However, if you are equally as inebriated then any disgust you might have disappears quickly. TBH I don't see the type of girl you mention around too often anyway, very rarely indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Firstly TouchingVirus, I cleared up the OP a bit, if it's still unclear, let me know.
    Mrmoe wrote: »
    Beer goggles change everything. If you look at it from the persepctive that you are sober or don't drink then very drunk people are not really an attractive or welcoming sight. However, if you are equally as inebriated then any disgust you might have disappears quickly. TBH I don't see the type of girl you mention around too often anyway, very rarely indeed.

It could be an age thing or just really a club thing. Living in Dublin City I see it a lot at certain places. But I can also name a few places were these type of girls will not be at all.

While a bit of drink to lighten the mood is fine, I've often found myself putting these girls on the same level as guys who go out to get as drunk as possible and go on the "pull" while hammered.

Possiblely another topic but Mrmoe raised a point that is interesting to me. I get drunk and am somewhat more cautious of certain girls I liked the look of when I'm sober.

Nevertheless, it's good to know I'm not the only guy like this. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I don't really see the problem with people who do themselves up and just aim to get drunk. It seems your only argument against them is snobbery which is fair enough I suppose. I think there are nights when they're the perfect type of girl when you just want to get trashed have a laugh and maybe score at the end of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem with people who do themselves up and just aim to get drunk. It seems your only argument against them is snobbery which is fair enough I suppose. I think there are nights when they're the perfect type of girl when you just want to get trashed have a laugh and maybe score at the end of the night.

I suppose it is snobbery but... Imagine if you have a girlfriend and the story of how you met is "she looked like Paris Hilton, drunk as could be, there I saw her, with her tongue down someone's mouth, her boobs on display for all and a skirt hitched so high I didn't even know she wore one".

That's the type of girl I meant. I don't care if a girl gets dolled up (we spend a while getting ourselves decent too) but I was just saying what I think.

You really think it sounds like snobbery?

While a bit of drink to lighten the mood is fine, I've often found myself putting these girls on the same level as guys who go out to get as drunk as possible and go on the "pull" while hammered.
    I think they are obviously on the same level. I'm not quite sure what the problem is though.:confused:

I suppose it is snobbery but... Imagine if you have a girlfriend and the story of how you met is "she looked like Paris Hilton, drunk as could be, there I saw her, with her tongue down someone's mouth, her boobs on display for all and a skirt hitched so high I didn't even know she wore one".

That's the type of girl I meant. I don't care if a girl gets dolled up (we spend a while getting ourselves decent too) but I was just saying what I think.

You really think it sounds like snobbery?
    I don't think they are going out to nightclubs looking for relationships but if that is how they met then so what?

I think it sounds snobbery because you don't seem to be able to point out why it's wrong, it's simply a different way of enjoying the night if you don't like it fine but labeling them tarts is a bit much. They could easily label you up tight and dull.

Edit: I'm not saying you are uptight and dulll btw I'm just saying you have different preferences but your preferences aren't any better or worse than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I refused to have sex with a girl who was hammered even when she started biting my ear teasing me, put her hand down my trousers and started whispering into my ear. I was drunk at the time myself

You missed a wonderful opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yeah it's a real turn off for me personally, especially if one of the is attracted to you and thinks she is being hilarious acting like a total muppet trying to 'woo' you while her friends drunkly encourage her from the sidelines with their high pitched screeches. I know some blokes act like idiots when drunkenly trying to chat up women but at least the vast majority can take a f**king hint and not have a hissy fit when politely told to jog on.

Booze eh! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Something strangely unattractive about someone who may vomit on you at any given second...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous. They hold no sway over me but they are 100% guaranteed to have plenty of guys fawning all over them as the night wears on.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yeah it's a real turn off for me personally, especially if one of the is attracted to you and thinks she is being hilarious acting like a total muppet trying to 'woo' you while her friends drunkly encourage her from the sidelines with their high pitched screeches. I know some blokes act like idiots when drunkenly trying to chat up women but at least the vast majority can take a f**king hint and not have a hissy fit when politely told to jog on.

Booze eh! :p
    Ya reckon:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Ya reckon:confused:?

Probably not actually :p

But women seem to come off better either way so it doesn't really matter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You missed a wonderful opportunity.

I didn't. I got to look at that gift horse again, on a night where much less alcohol was imbibed ;) In my mind the first night would have almost been tantamount to rape, she was properly out of it.

@OP: Thanks for clearing it up, the question is clearer now that you've described the particular woman you're talking about. I would still find it a complete turnoff if they were so drunk they couldn't stand, have a conversation or have a good time in the sack - that goes for all women though, tarts or not. I'm not in a position to judge people with regards to drinking or pulling habits, even those who aim to go out and get locked first and pull later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

A girl who can barely speak or stand is not attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

The drunker the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Wouldn't be my cup of tea but yes I can obviously see the appeal. They tend to be as easy as prostitutes but they don't charge anything. No offence to any drunken tarts reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

PK2008 wrote: »
    The drunker the better
    You've been warned before about making AH type comments here.If you cant be bothered to add anything even remotely constructive your access will be removed from this forum.Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The whole tarts thing is pretty subjective so I'll focus on the drunkenness.

Yeah, it's never a turn on. I know some guys who will deliberately attempt to get women drunk in order to help things along. I have no interest in scoring a girl who is drunk of her own accord or has been plied with drink by someone else.

Naturally enough by the end of a full night out most people are a little tipsy, but once they're not visibly tipsy (staggering, slurring) it's fine in my book. Very few are completely sober especially in clubs.

From my point of view, whenever I get smashed I have a handy in-built safety mechanism where I become totally not interested in women. Last time it happened me was on St. Patrick's Day. Come 12 or 1 in the morning I had no interest in talking to women, too much effort. I must admit I wasn't always that sensible though and probably was a "drunken Romeo" with predictable poor results in my younger days. :o

In fairness,all people,whether male or female,that are completly soused are best avoided.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In fairness,all people,whether male or female,that are completly soused are best avoided.

Yeah... I was thinking along the lines of that while reading the OP...

Some blokes won't like drunk / loud women the same way some women won't like drunk / loud blokes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

As echoed by previous posters. There comes a pint when the drunkeness goes to the next level and that person instantly becomes unattractive.
    Thankfully i've never experienced with any partners. But theres been a few times I've been out and been interested in girls and an hour or 2 later they can barely stand up and its very unattractive.

Im sure its the same for girls aswell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Its bizarre being in another european country seeing how different people dress compared to the British and Irish :DIsles.

Over here women wears fitted jeans and less slutty tops, in Ireland nearly every girl 18-24 wears a miniskirt and a string top.

Men in Ireland seem to dress up more too. Guys all seem to wear shoes and shirts but in Europe wearing runners and t-shirt is much more normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Men in Ireland seem to dress up more too. Guys all seem to wear shoes and shirts but in Europe wearing runners and t-shirt is much more normal.

Good luck trying to get into a club here in runners and a t-shirt. lol. It's not necessarily by choice we all go out looking like we are coming from 'casual' Friday at the office.

Jaysus,I havnt worn runners out in god knows how many years and its completly by choice.IMO runners in a night club look fackin horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I find neither tarts nor drunk girls attractive. In Ireland one usually comes with the other.

I prefer my girls to have a bit of class and self respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

fake tanned girls that get drunk as possible and throw themselves at men.QUOTE]

what kind of sci-fi do you watch women throwing themselves at men pfffftt:pac: forever alone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Flirty-drunk on a girl is ok.

Not being able to stand up or talk is not cool. People might think you put some pills in her drink or something.
    You can also earn brownie points with her less-drunk friends by picking her up off the floor every 10 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement