Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal in drunken tarts* in the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

strobe wrote: »
    Good luck trying to get into a club here in runners and a t-shirt. lol. It's not necessarily by choice we all go out looking like we are coming from 'casual' Friday at the office.

True its a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, well hopefully places that permit normal clothes will be more successful and the rest will follow suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

OP aren't you moralising a bit and it is not a bad thing.

Back in the day I dated someone like that and hated the unpredicability and drama.She was ditzy sober too. A girl may be pretty hot but the sloppy part of it may put you off.

I imagine what you are thinking deep down is if she was like this all the time you would have an awful time of it and you would probably be right.

Some people go out occassionally and get buckled and its not a bad thing either and some people have a low tolerence for booze.

If someone does it all the time and their behavior is bad you are not going to have much of a relationship.

And if the person is fun and tarts up in string tops and mini skirts cos she has a great figure -what of it.

If you are looking for a different type of girl maybe you should not look in nightclubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

I'm 22 and have never, ever been refused from a club for not wearing proper attire. I generally go out wearing skate shoes, jeans, tshirt and either a jumper or sometimes a shirt over my tshirt.

I guess more student-y nights might be less strict on dress codes, but you'd think I'd have encountered it once or twice in 5 years of going out...

Where are all these clubs with strict door policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

yawha wrote: »
    I'm 22 and have never, ever been refused from a club for not wearing proper attire. I generally go out wearing skate shoes, jeans, tshirt and either a jumper or sometimes a shirt over my tshirt.

I guess more student-y nights might be less strict on dress codes, but you'd think I'd have encountered it once or twice in 5 years of going out...

Where are all these clubs with strict door policies?

Bit of topic, but I have often hear 'this club has a strict door policy etc.' and then never had any bother getting in. I generally dress similarly to the way you described. I think these policies are more a back up/excuse for bouncers to refuse entry to people they don't like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bit of topic, but I have often hear 'this club has a strict door policy etc.' and then never had any bother getting in. I generally dress similarly to the way you described. I think these policies are more a back up/excuse for bouncers to refuse entry to people they don't like the look of.

Of course they are, things like dress code, 21's only etc are basically filters that can be used to stop people coming in. When i was a doorman i tended to just take an honest route and stop people who were drunk, trouble makers or clearly off their face on drugs. The thing is, i was always honest about it, i would tell people exactly why they were not getting in and that would normally piss them off more....so it's basically a no win situation.

At the end of the day though, house rules enforcement is normally at the behest of the manager, i worked in a few places that were very strict about the dress code...it was my job to enforce it so enforce it i did.

• Advertisement

Of course they are, things like dress code, 21's only etc are basically filters that can be used to stop people coming in. When i was a doorman i tended to just take an honest route and stop people who were drunk, trouble makers or clearly off their face on drugs. The thing is, i was always honest about it, i would tell people exactly why they were not getting in and that would normally piss them off more....so it's basically a no win situation.

Really, people got more annoyed at being told they were too drunk than "not tonight" ?

How did they react when you said they were trouble makers?

Really, people got more annoyed at being told they were too drunk than "not tonight" ?

How did they react when you said they were trouble makers?

Yes, i used the "not tonight" thing to start sometimes, it's really the most effective way of letting someone know they are not coming in on the night in question but entry in the future is still an option...i would then offer them the judgement call i had made as to why they were not getting in and reiterate that this was just tonight, come back another time in the correct attire, less drunk or what have you and there would be no issue.

In my experience there is no more self deluded and righteous person than the drunk who wants more booze. Telling someone they are too drunk would normally get you a lecture in the following subjects

A) How sober the person actually is mate....sober as a ****ing thing...a wossname....Judge. A ****ing JUDGE....APL....i mean...PAL. Completely ****ing sober so don't judge me for being drunk when i'm sober as a judge.

B) How the person in question can handle their booze and is only falling over because it's a new dance everyone is doing...and can drink 10 times, no 100 time more than they drank tonight and just wants another pint you ****ing knuckle dragging wanker, Who the **** are YOU...to tell ME...that i am too drunk.

C) The person heads straight into insults questioning your parents integrity with regard to your birth actually being outside of wedlock or inferring you are actually not human, but an inflated genitalia (male or female) with legs.

As such, you just kind of let them get it out of their system and then watch them stumble off. Girls were worse because they would really feel that being falling over drunk wasn't that much of an issue and would tend to hang around longer because apparently being a girl means the rules don't apply, eventually i will fall for their womanly charms and allow them in. The secret is, i didn't and i wouldn't.

Troublemakers are easier, as they are people who have caused trouble in the pub/club before and had previously been evicted and barred. They would have had this explained to them at the time and i would simple reiterate that they had caused trouble, been evicted from the premises and barred and contrary to popular belief that is not something that goes away with their hangover.

This would then lead to some grandstanding, some threats, being told i would be "got" etc etc etc and eventually they would go away because they would finally realise...****...this guy is actually not letting me, and maybe all those threats i just made validate his decision. ( It should be noted, if only for the humour value, that despite doing door work in Limerick for 7 years i was never told i would be "got" more times than when i was doing the door of a very nice place in Blackrock lol )

I wouldn't be telling people that i had no professional history with that they were troublemakers because i found it funny...i was just doing people i had dealt with before the honest turn of reminding them i had valid reason to stop them.

The OP started the thread about drunk women.

I have only once heard of a woman get refused entry to a club and that was a long time ago.

Does it happen nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ive seen it happen in Dublin,Mullingar,Sligo and Longford.

Of course the frequency is much lower than with blokes getting refused (I got stopped one night going into Dandelions having had 2 pints,apparantly Id had enough)

Alot of bouncers/doormen can be quite dickish,I have no issue getting stopped if Im hammered but Im so rarely that drunk its never an issue.

CDfm wrote: »

I have only once heard of a woman get refused entry to a club and that was a long time ago.

Does it happen nowadays.

I couldn't say and i couldn't speak for the industry, i can only give my opinion. I used to stop drunk girls all the time, too drunk is too drunk and i didn't really care if they were girls. From my own point of view getting a drunken girl out of a club could be far more bothersome than removing a drunken bloke.

I actually got in trouble, and subsequently left, two clubs where the managers tried to give me **** for stopping drunk or underage girls. It's not my job to break the law for a clubs bottom line, it's my job to ensure the health, safety and enjoyment of all customers and members of staff. To be honest though, my attitude was relatively rare on the doors i worked with, if i was lucky i would be able to form a crew of like-minded individuals but often times our best efforts would be hampered by the will of management to just have people in spending money.

Management see females customers as a reason blokes will go to the club, hence ladies night, they also don't see female customers as too much of a threat as 90% of physical altercations in clubs tend to be male on male. That said, i would say it's an even 50/50 split with regard to people i removed from clubs for being way too drunk and i reckon the woman would have taken me twice as long to get out as the blokes. I worked with a couple of female bouncers and that was always nice, as you don't mind when a girl removes another girl from a club with a little bit of oomph but there would be an awful social stigma attached to laying hands on a girl to get her out of a club, regardless of the level of ignorance and attitude she would display or the level of violence she might instigate. Even so much as putting a hand on her arm to guide her along would be seen as very poor form by other customers.

Pain in the bollix to be honest with you.

• Advertisement

Yes, i used the "not tonight" thing to start sometimes, it's really the most effective way of letting someone know they are not coming in on the night in question but entry in the future is still an option...i would then offer them the judgement call i had made as to why they were not getting in and reiterate that this was just tonight, come back another time in the correct attire, less drunk or what have you and there would be no issue.

Fair enough. I have never been told "too drunk" unless I'd had a few. Those cases felt no bitterness and walked away. Though obviously you're gonna meet less reasonable folk. In those situations "Not tonight" is fine.

What really got me in the past though was the refusal to give any reason, just a "not tonight" That's just not on IMO.

Does it happen nowadays.

It definitely does. Although generally speaking they need to be absolutely PLASTERED(!) to the point of being unable to stand without staggering and/or be unable to string a sentence together.
    Never seen a fairly sober - moderately drunk girl get refused though.

What really got me in the past though was the refusal to give any reason, just a "not tonight" That's just not on IMO.

I'd agree with you from a customer service standpoint. It's funny now, to me anyway, to see pubs and the Vintners sponsoring very expensive add campaigns and doing everything they can to try and get people into the pubs to spend their money. I was probably active on the doors during the most lucrative time for pubs in this country and i worked on some of the worst, dodgey and most violent doors going to some of the poshest places and the story was always the same...a general ambivalence towards the customer themselves.

I found it made my own life easier to foster good relations with customer, be they regulars of people i was needing to turn away for whatever reason. I never turned someone away for a bull**** reason but, as already mentioned, this would often lead to friction with management and owners.

There is also the fact that you do get bellends working the door, it's just one of those things, i saw lads turn people away for nothing and then laugh about them behind their back. When i was in charge they would be called on their behaviour, when i wasn't i would still give them **** over it but this lead to general feelings of unease between me and other doormen. I wasn't willing to buy into the horse**** or the bullying that CAN go on on certain doors. I'd normally just leave and find myself a new door...work wasn't hard to find at the time and people could talk all the **** they liked but i had a great reputation when it came to dealing with trouble and could, 99% of the time, talk down any situation.

To be honest with you, i've had the same happen to me, walk up to a door and be told "not tonight" and i always asked why. The thing about having done doors is i know exactly what buttons to push to piss people off. lol Huge generalisation here but most of the lads who will stop you for no reason fall into two catagories. They are stopping you themselves for no reason, or they have been instructed by a manager who was just at the door to stop you. Managers can be awful tricky bastards and i never met one in the pub trade i liked.

It is funny that.

I imagine a manager will want someone to come in who will spend the most money which they wont do if they have been out already or been elsewhere.That must be a hard call.

Last Xmas I was out with a bar owner I know and he was telling me how he had been trying to get some of the local offices to use his place for lunches,staff do's etc for years.

What he hadn't known was the door staff/bar staff had been refusing the same people entry on Thursday nights or concession nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Apple tart is the greatest desert of all time.

It is funny that.

I imagine a manager will want someone to come in who will spend the most money which they wont do if they have been out already or been elsewhere.That must be a hard call.

Last Xmas I was out with a bar owner I know and he was telling me how he had been trying to get some of the local offices to use his place for lunches,staff do's etc for years.

What he hadn't known was the door staff/bar staff had been refusing the same people entry on Thursday nights or concession nights.

Yeah, that is the problem alright, what happens at night can haunt a pub during the day and day trade is a very important part of the industry.

To kind of tangent back to the point of the thread i would almost say that women in pubs are given more license to get hammered than blokes. In most places a very drunk male will get thrown out long before a very drunk female...and i would say that behaviour that would get a bloke thrown out (i.e grabbing a girls ass ) would be laughed off if a girl did it to a bloke. I think it's developed a small entitled culture of females who really just go out, act ignorant and don't care and i reckon this is also the small percentage of customers that the OP might be talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

enda1 wrote: »
    Apple tart is the greatest desert of all time.
    Not the Sahara?

Yeah, that is the problem alright, what happens at night can haunt a pub during the day and day trade is a very important part of the industry.

To kind of tangent back to the point of the thread i would almost say that women in pubs are given more license to get hammered than blokes. In most places a very drunk male will get thrown out long before a very drunk female...and i would say that behaviour that would get a bloke thrown out (i.e grabbing a girls ass ) would be laughed off if a girl did it to a bloke. I think it's developed a small entitled culture of females who really just go out, act ignorant and don't care and i reckon this is also the small percentage of customers that the OP might be talking about.
    That's true and I don't like it one bit. Unwanted groping is unwanted groping

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's true and I don't like it one bit. Unwanted groping is unwanted groping

In reality its completely different though because its not "unwanted" in most cases for guys

Girls usually think "ffs another perv just grabbed my ass"
    Guys usually think "Oh wow! a girl just grabbed my ass"

Though you'd see a stark difference in attitude if it happened to that same guy in a gay bar.

Its kind of different.

Though you'd see a difference if it happened to that same guy in a gay bar.

Plenty of guys can have their own hangups and contact issues from things that might have happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 prinou

I am enjoying readying this thread so much ...
    I am a woman in my early 30s.

First I want to say how difficult it is finding nice evening clothes in Dublin, no matter the budget. Have you seen what they sell in BT2 ? I have great difficulty finding classy/sexy cloth but decent. Abroad seems to be a shopping paradise.

Second, the attitude ! Why get drunk ? Get Merry !

Third. The other day I was in Gibneys and there wasn't a big crowd there. 4 very pretty women arrived. They started to dance, and I thought they were super. Spanish I think. I was looking at the guys reaction. Zero. nothing. They just didn't notice ... How about some glances that make your heart bit that little bit faster when met, followed by a smile that gives you wobbly legs ?! before deciding to get that little bit closer ... and...maybe not...and maybe yes ... and finally go and talk to her after 2 hours of teasing ? that's a bang bang romance ! It's not the first time I notice no body talk to girls that are not throwing themselves into men's arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

bluewolf wrote: »
    Not the Sahara?

Ah shizzle

In reality its completely different though because its not "unwanted" in most cases for guys

I think you're wrong. While I may not speak for all men, I do not like being physically molested by randomers when I'm having drinks with friends. The vast majority of men I associate with don't either.
    prinou wrote: »
    Third. The other day I was in Gibneys and there wasn't a big crowd there. 4 very pretty women arrived. They started to dance, and I thought they were super. Spanish I think. I was looking at the guys reaction. Zero. nothing. They just didn't notice ...

My regular pub. I am probably one of those zero reaction guys (the way I see it is they're having their fun, leave 'em be. Once they don't knock m pint out of my hand with flaling dance moves it's live and let live). From my experience though, the only guys that approach dancing girls in that place tend to be quite pished. More power to them I suppose.

I think the phrase is it is flattering but you don't need it.

Second, the attitude ! Why get drunk ? Get Merry !

+1
    Third. The other day I was in Gibneys and there wasn't a big crowd there. 4 very pretty women arrived. They started to dance,.............. It's not the first time I notice no body talk to girls that are not throwing themselves into men's arms.

Gibneys has always been class and you would have a wide age group including parents and their adult children.

And, maybe the girls felt comfortable being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Something strangely unattractive about someone who may vomit on you at any given second...
    Or if anyone has seen that new movie "Hall Pass"...vomiting may not be what you have to be concerned about...
    The girl sits on the side of the bath, feeling unwell...then sneezes and unknowingly lets rip and sprays shít all over the wall behind her
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

My regular pub. I am probably one of those zero reaction guys (the way I see it is they're having their fun, leave 'em be. Once they don't knock m pint out of my hand with flaling dance moves it's live and let live). From my experience though, the only guys that approach dancing girls in that place tend to be quite pished. More power to them I suppose.

That's probably what's she is getting at. Men won't go talk to them UNLESS they're pissed. I'm useless drunk or sober but girls would often complain that guys won't come and chat them up unless they're stinking and/or slurring.

trackguy wrote: »
    That's probably what's she is getting at. Men won't go talk to them UNLESS they're pissed. I'm useless drunk or sober but girls would often complain that guys won't come and chat them up unless they're stinking and/or slurring.

Well in that situation the girls are off dancing and enjoying themselves. I'd feel rude/awkward trying to but in and introduce myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Well in that situation the girls are off dancing and enjoying themselves. I'd feel rude/awkward trying to but in and introduce myself.

That's fair enough, I'd be the same myself and there's always the thought of 'maybe they want to be left alone'

• Registered Users Posts: 26 prinou

for sure not, I agree. I am just saying notice them, watch what is beautiful it is good for the sight and the head and the heart ! Not like a hock or a pervert ... just a nice little glance with a friendly smile of approbation. How does it feel to get yourself all pretty and feeling you are transparent, nobody seems to see you? lonely. Even insulting at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

for sure not, I agree. I am just saying notice them, watch what is beautiful it is good for the sight and the head and the heart ! Not like a hock or a pervert ... just a nice little glance with a friendly smile of approbation. How does it feel to get yourself all pretty and feeling you are transparent, nobody seems to see you? lonely. Even insulting at times.

Wasn't there a thread here or in the LL a little while ago about ladies also approaching men and it not being all left up to them?! And does everyone (men and women) need to be tanked to approach each other?! This is all very depressing reading:p

Sticking in my 2 cents, I don't feel particularly sexy when drunk - dry mouth, inability to think of the right words, lack of co-ordination...why do some people think this is the best condition to be in to score? Guess drink affects different people in different ways (love the way I sound like a right aul wan here :D)

• Advertisement

I think you're reading into it too much TBH. So you want me to notice them? Sure I notice them. It's hard not to notice people dancing in your local pup in a location that isn't a dancefloor and is very close to the bar.
    Not my fault if people feel they are not getting enough attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement