Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harlequin duathlon castlebar

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

That's some result by 16-year-old Con Doherty. Impressive stuff.

Good result CKWPORT

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

i meet the guy coming down the booster and not a bead of sweat on him , super human !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Any photos from the event floating around??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭elchupanebrey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

None of me, Gutted.:pac:

I'm sure your finishing time of 2.03 is plenty consolation!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah im in one of the photos but id swap if for a 2.03 ( or even a 2.23 ) finishing time :D race number 292
    there was a guy taking random pics at the finish as well and he said hed be putting them up on the website..

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

His name is Sean Bailey and he I will post the link as soon as possible.

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Bignaldo wrote: »
    Sorry Head the wall, I have to disagree.

I race MTB downhill and XC at the moment and know to stay out of the saddle and pick a line. Ive never had a puncture in Gaelforce in four years on the same bike. There was a dozen people on one corner alone with bikes upside down. I even had armour between the tube and the tire. A dub guy had two punctures in armoured schwalbes. The stone was sharp so it was pure luck if you got through or not. Fair play to ya for making it through. What tyres were you running.

If they dust the road and roll it for next year it will be fine.

No problems I was just commenting on it as i saw it personally. It was probably the luck of the draw whether people punctured or not and here was me thinking it was my excellent offroad skills :D.

I just had regular racer tyres on, I didn't want to be shelling out for Gator skins but it definitely doesn't seem like it was worthwhile buying them for this race. They probably aren't much help with pinch punctures but would be good for glass or metal cuts which would be more common on tarmac/commuting.

I'm hobbling around like an old man today as well, calves are in serious pain. I can only imagine what they would be like if I had run most of the booster station

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I'm sure your finishing time of 2.03 is plenty consolation!:D

I don't know, I really like photos!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No problems I was just commenting on it as i saw it personally. It was probably the luck of the draw whether people punctured or not and here was me thinking it was my excellent offroad skills :D.

I just had regular racer tyres on, I didn't want to be shelling out for Gator skins but it definitely doesn't seem like it was worthwhile buying them for this race. They probably aren't much help with pinch punctures but would be good for glass or metal cuts which would be more common on tarmac/commuting.

I'm hobbling around like an old man today as well, calves are in serious pain. I can only imagine what they would be like if I had run most of the booster station

Like an old man...... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dubs114

A great event, really pleased with my time of 2:33 for my second adventure race. Couldnt ask for more weatherwise and im very lucky to come away puncture free. Shame my legs arent pain free, but as they say no pain no gain.

dubs114 wrote: »
    Shame my legs arent pain free, but as they say no pain no gain.

If the level of pain equates to the level of gain I think we'll all have gained a lot from this race.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I don't know, I really like photos!!

Vanity = one of the seven deadly sins. You'll be going to hell
    yop wrote: »
    Like an old man...... :p

Play fair, the grey hair is a genetic thing. Anyway you're as old as the women you're feeling which makes me late twenties.

Men get older but jailbait stays the same age, win win.

Vanity = one of the seven deadly sins. You'll be going to hell

Play fair, the grey hair is a genetic thing. Anyway you're as old as the women you're feeling which makes me late twenties.

Men get older but jailbait stays the same age, win win.

Lol, get back to work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Hi Guys,

Sean Bailey, just uploaded the pictures of the event..... there will be one of you for sure !!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/110585541787136295079/CastlebarDuo2011#

https://picasaweb.google.com/110585541787136295079

seb

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

Hi All,

Just doing some research on the Harlequin Duathlon. I was thinking of doing it until I read all the stuff about the off road section.

How long is the off road section about? Would it be better just to get off your bike and run with it? It does not seem that any tyre was suitable and a mountain bike will be too slow on the fast section.

Also, what the 8k run difficult? Was it very hilly / rough terrain

Any advice appreciated...

thanks.

ok as for the off road, i cycled most of it, had to get off to get up one hill and by the grace of god i didnt get a puncture..i did have puncture proofs on, that said on one part of the off road there mustve been 6 or 7 bikes stopped fixing punctures... its a bit long to walk all of it, if your not too precious about your bike ( i met some whingers ) then youl be grand..
    having said all that the facebook page mentions that this section is gone for the 2012 race, which is a pity i think,
    the 8k run is a bit hilly, as its up a mountain ! and back down.
    most people wont be running the uphill section of it, most will be walking and running downhill, surface is good though, no great need for trail runners or anything like that.

sorry at a guess id say the off road mite be a kilometre or thereabouts ish..

So there is no off road section for next year?

THanks for your reply.

People on the cycling forum may have seen I got a new bike so don;t want to wreck it so soon either :-)

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harlequin-Adventure-Duathlon/179593808735729

the second comment on the page, new course for 2012

apparently not, even though the course maps are the same as last year at the moment, but i dare say thats just because they havent updated them yet...

either that or their getting the road surfaced ! :D

woody1 wrote: »
    either that or their getting the road surfaced ! :D

Sounds like they are removing that section possibly, so an updated course more so than a new course.

As long as they leave the booster in, I am happy.

I wonder is there anyone we could confirm with about the off road section for the Bike?

How much training would be required for this? There are hardly any training plans for an event like this?

If you are local, best to get out and do the course yourself and see what ya think. I doubt there will be training days for it, unless you are in a club or something that are training for it.

I wouldn't bother training on the off road section, as it could be removed yet. Last year, I just ran the offroad section the evening before the race to see what it was like. Its over 2km anyways.

EDIT: see my post from last year on the offroad section. 2.2km.

bike train on hills, lots of hills in the first cycle
    and run up hills...
    sure what more of a plan would you want...
    its tough enough but i did it last year off very little training, as i suspect most did seeing as its so early in the year.. i finished well back the field but sure i wasnt expecting any more than that

so anyone going back again to do the 2012 race?

According to their facebook, the offroad cycle is gone or going, but the article on the site still has it, anybody know for sure.

Doesn't bother me either way, will still do the event, It just influences my bike setup.

more than likely, itd be nice to know whats happening with the bike end of it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Would love to do this but too close to Conn Ultra I fear!:(

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard if the offroad cycle section is indeed gone, perhaps Seb will post a reply.....

Advertisement