Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harlequin duathlon castlebar

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

anyone doing this at the weekend, still havent made up my mind, have no-where near enough training done but im considering using it as training ( albeit expensive training )
    probably end up walking up the hill run though

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good few of us from the Wheelers club doing it, not looking forward to it one single bit, that fricking booster killed my knees last year and put me out for near 2 months but I will definitely be walking the last 3rd of it, more striding than walking! :)

The cycle out to it is tasty too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah ive driven out that road a few times and thought it must be a killer on a bike i really dont know will have to check the weather forecast now i think if it was due to be lashin or something that would kill it altogether

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

woody1 wrote: »
    yeah ive driven out that road a few times and thought it must be a killer on a bike i really dont know will have to check the weather forecast now i think if it was due to be lashin or something that would kill it altogether

I am doing the Connemara 1/2 and run out them hills to the base of the booster a real "mint with the" opener for sure. On the bike there are probably 3 good hills, outside of that you will be sound.
    Funny I was running it about 1 month back and there was a girl cycling it for the first time, I ended up catching her on the 2nd hill, needless to say she wasn't too impressed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

I'm doing it for my sins!! :D
    Starting to get a bit worried about the booster station....the last time I ran it was about 3 years ago when I was very unfit compared to what I am now!
    Just going to put the head down and take my time!!
    Cycle shouldn't be too bad, I have done it a few times!

Has anyone gotten any info since registration?
    I would have thought we might have gotten something by now! :confused:

I'm doing it for my sins!! :D
    Starting to get a bit worried about the booster station....the last time I ran it was about 3 years ago when I was very unfit compared to what I am now!
    Just going to put the head down and take my time!!
    Cycle shouldn't be too bad, I have done it a few times!

Has anyone gotten any info since registration?
    I would have thought we might have gotten something by now! :confused:

I was thinkin that last night, haven't seen any posters or got any emails which is strange. I don't think the sign up was massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

I had a look on the Harlequin hotel website and it says that an information email should be sent no later than March 22nd so we should get something today!

Apparently numbers are up on last year anyway, that's why they have had to change the transition areas and the cycle bit after the booster station (only tiny difference). That's what it says on the Facebook page anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

Hi - signed up for this at the beginning of the year when I was all full of good intentions. Since then the training has been "sporadic" to say the least - a few 50k cycles in Wicklow and a few 10k runs around trails. I don't know the course and from the previous comments I am now very worried about completing the course before darkness :confused:

Anyone who has done the event last year advice on pacing, what sections to watch out for?

Thanks

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

Hi - signed up for this at the beginning of the year when I was all full of good intentions. Since then the training has been "sporadic" to say the least - a few 50k cycles in Wicklow and a few 10k runs around trails. I don't know the course and from the previous comments I am now very worried about completing the course before darkness :confused:

Anyone who has done the event last year advice on pacing, what sections to watch out for?

Thanks

You will be sound, it starts at 9am and it won't be dark til 7pm. ;)

From what I was told last year the pace at the start in the 3km left a few boys blowing hard on the bike as there are 2 nice hills at the start of the bike. After that you have another 2 sorta hills then off the bike onto the run to the booster.
    The first 1/2 km is an incline, flating out then and downhill until about 2km, then the incline begins and is steady for the next 2km or so. Then its turn and back down the 4km, all tarmac, run to the bike.
    The next section of the bike is grand, a nice couple of km down hill on a tight road which isn't closed so beware of traffic.
    Turn left heading for Castlebar and the surface is undulating but nothing too major on it.
    Off the bike again and then another 3km run. I did something similar in Ballinrobe a few weeks back and the final run I found terrible on the calves.

But you will enjoy it. :)

I won't be fit to run all the booster so will end up striding the last 2km section to the top.

granite head from the sounds of it youve more done than i have and im increasingly tempted to do it... if your doing 50k cycles and 10k runs id say youl be fine and probably finish in the middle of the pack somewhere, these races are all about pacing for mere mortals like us and as yop says if you go out hard with the crowd at the start there might not be a lot in the tank for later on.... and youl need it in the tank for the booster ( hill run )
    think im just gonna do it at half pace and see how i feel after the hill run, if im able to speed up i will, if not il just take it handy and get a break in on the bike and try to put in a decent last run... hopefully the off road section doesnt make sh*te out of my bike
    off to check the weather forecast :)

by the way i thought they were 2 x 4k runs, just checked and it is indeed a 3 and a 4k so its a km shorter than i thought... its only a kilometre but i feel much better about doing it now :D

http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/ie/mayo/castlebar/details5.aspx

no rain anyway..think that settles it...will enter later on, if i can get clearance

• Advertisement

granite head
    by the way i thought they were 2 x 4k runs, just checked and it is indeed a 3 and a 4k so its a km shorter than i thought... its only a kilometre but i feel much better about doing it now :D

there is no offroad section! :) Its all tarmac!

4km at end! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

yop wrote: »
    Funny I was running it about 1 month back and there was a girl cycling it for the first time, I ended up catching her on the 2nd hill, needless to say she wasn't too impressed! :)

I can imagine that she was pretty p*ssed off with that alright!
    Was hoping to do this one myself as a few of the lads I know did it last year and liked it, despite it being pretty savage by all accounts. Injury rules me out (breathes sigh of relief at having good excuse to hand :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Will be doing it too.

The runs are 1km longer than last years race it would appear, probably due to the new road layout at Next.

The runs were only 2.8km last year, now its down as a 3km and 4km and one site its down as 2 4kms. Hard to know what to expect!

Looking forward to it anyways, well all of it except for the booster.

What changes have they made for the bike transitions?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by woody1 viewpost.gif
    granite head
    by the way i thought they were 2 x 4k runs, just checked and it is indeed a 3 and a 4k so its a km shorter than i thought... its only a kilometre but i feel much better about doing it now biggrin.gif

there is no offroad section! smile.gif Its all tarmac!

i suppose that depends on your definition of off-road.. to the best of my knowledge the bike transition at the booster is now down the little road to the booster a bit... that road was like the surface of the moon the last time i was on it, mind you that was in a car.... admittedly there may be tarmac on it somewhere.. theres also a lot of holes.. and then looking at the map you go off that road to the right on the way back from transition on the bike... again ive never seen a road there before so im presuming its a forestry road or fire road...

from facebook page

The Off road bike section will mean a change of tyres for most, I would recommend Continental Gator skins. The 2 transitions have also moved, this is to help the race run more smooth.

The cycle from T2 will have an extra 1km of off road which has a steep 200m climb so low bike gearing is now important. see map attached.

theres a map on the facebook page and the harlequin hotel website showing the change

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=202411023120674&set=a.184684824893294.49051.179593808735729&theater

Those sound like major changes to the bike section, that road wouldn't be the best for cycling on to be honest. I was out there for a look a few weeks ago and there was a guy there with a puncture on it. Might be running with the bike on the shoulder for that bit.

Can't see the map here, Facebook is blocked, and its wont open on my phone either.

i think ive attached the actual image this time

Well, I was looking forward to the event, but hate the thought of bad offroad sections on racers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by woody1 viewpost.gif
    granite head
    by the way i thought they were 2 x 4k runs, just checked and it is indeed a 3 and a 4k so its a km shorter than i thought... its only a kilometre but i feel much better about doing it now biggrin.gif

there is no offroad section! smile.gif Its all tarmac!

i suppose that depends on your definition of off-road.. to the best of my knowledge the bike transition at the booster is now down the little road to the booster a bit... that road was like the surface of the moon the last time i was on it, mind you that was in a car.... admittedly there may be tarmac on it somewhere.. theres also a lot of holes.. and then looking at the map you go off that road to the right on the way back from transition on the bike... again ive never seen a road there before so im presuming its a forestry road or fire road...

from facebook page

The Off road bike section will mean a change of tyres for most, I would recommend Continental Gator skins. The 2 transitions have also moved, this is to help the race run more smooth.

The cycle from T2 will have an extra 1km of off road which has a steep 200m climb so low bike gearing is now important. see map attached.

theres a map on the facebook page and the harlequin hotel website showing the change

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=202411023120674&set=a.184684824893294.49051.179593808735729&theater

For fook sake, not impressed to be honest with you on that one, I wont be buying gators but I don't want to be ruining the wheels on my new bike either with that.
    Why they had to change it is beyond me, the link to the bike shop and new tires would be too obvious a reason wouldn't it...... :eek:

Apologise on that woody, I was going on last years course. That road is not the best, if you have good tires and good wheels it might not be great idea to cycle it.

For fook sake....I was going on last years course. That road is not the best, if you have good tires and good wheels it might not be great idea to cycle it.

Remember when we went up there the 1st time last year, where you parked, that road off to the left? that is where its going up I think.

Well I best get my old racer ready, and replace the tires on it for this section.

I might spin over there after work tomorrow, and take a stroll on the new section, if I get time, big IF.

For fook sake....I was going on last years course. That road is not the best, if you have good tires and good wheels it might not be great idea to cycle it.

not a big bikie person so to be honest i dont know if my wheels are good are bad its a claud butler levante that i have and there are a lot less spokes on the wheels than other bikes ... and ive had a spoke break on me already on a normal road.. tyre wise the bike came with puncture proof ( resistant ! ) tyres their not the continental some other brand
    so i wouldnt be awful panicked about that ... id be more worried about the wheels... if ye get a look at it before tomorrow evening could ye let me know what ye think... deadline for registration is tomorrow evening i think

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Remember when we went up there the 1st time last year, where you parked, that road off to the left? that is where its going up I think.

Well I best get my old racer ready, and replace the tires on it for this section.

I might spin over there after work tomorrow, and take a stroll on the new section, if I get time, big IF.

I know it ya. Not a great section of road. Cud be as well to jump off the bike at the bottom and carry it up or run with it ;)

I know it ya. Not a great section of road. Cud be as well to jump off the bike at the bottom and carry it up or run with it ;)

For 600m??

I don't see how this change is going to cater for bigger numbers to be honest. Unless they are racking the bikes in a line up that road....Its a spanner in the works for me anyways.

Glad I saw that today, and not closer to the weekend, I assumed the course was the same.
    f ye get a look at it before tomorrow evening could ye let me know what ye think... deadline for registration is tomorrow evening i think

It will be Thursday evening before I can get near it for a look I think.

The road is long, they will probably have a rack down 1 side, don't think that road is very wide though.
    We will manage it :)

grand..no worries... i might have to take a chance on it so.. of registration closes late tomorrow il try to get down there straight after work... i hate the thougts of running with a bike... i know people will say thats part of an adventure race etc but i just hate the feckin thought of it

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

What was the mandatory kit (if any) last year?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

What was the mandatory kit (if any) last year?

None that I remember with the exception of cycling helmet of course & puncture repair gear on your bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

Any one get any email yet on the event? no major communication from the organisers since i signed up. i did the sea 2summit last year and they had a great website and regular emails. for €50 there doesnt seem to be any major signs around castlebar for it or much talk.

well i've committed to it now anyway..just signed up there..

this is just up on runireland

http://www.runireland.com/news/300-participants-race-castlebar-streets-from

hopefully meself and me poor bike will survive it !

Was the offroad section recently added? or has it being there from when the 2011 race was announced?

• Advertisement

i dunno if it was there from the start but its been on the website for the past 4 to 6 weeks at least as ive been toying with the idea of this race for that long and keeping and eye on the various websites

Advertisement