Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harlequin duathlon castlebar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I signed up months ago and didn't look at the site since. So it came as a surprise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

little bit slack that there hasnt been any communication with the entrants ... and e-mail 3 or 4 weeks ago to fill people in and let them get a look at the altered course and adjust accordingly, wouldnt have been that hard to do,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its pi*S poor to be honest with you. Even the race we did in Ballinrobe or the one out in Carraroe sent out details and they were 1/2 the price.

The change to the course, fair enough, but tell us in an email and not by some fluke that you might stumble across it on a forum.

I am surprised though as Seb was involved with this last year and from what I recall we got good communication about it, might be an idea to drop them an email to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Hi Guys,

You will receive the information later this evening as we are getting some extra spot prices from the sponsors etc.... Tshirts and after food party :p

the two main changes are the first transition has been moved to avoid road crossing.

The transition 2 was also moved as we did not have enough place for 300 people there (over 250 entries so far).

The off road part is not ideal but it is a "Adventure duathlon" which mean you need to use your abilities to cope with road / of road situation as explained in the information pack.

Details will be posted on runireland.com website before Friday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

locteau wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

You will receive the information later this evening as we are getting some extra spot prices from the sponsors etc.... Tshirts and after food party :p

the two main changes are the first transition has been moved to avoid road crossing.

The transition 2 was also moved as we did not have enough place for 300 people there (over 250 entries so far).

The off road part is not ideal but it is a "Adventure duathlon" which mean you need to use your abilities to cope with road / of road situation as explained in the information pack.

Details will be posted on runireland.com website before Friday.

Thanks Seb, suspected you might have an update on here ;)

What condition is that trail in out of interest, I know its bog road and probably similar to the bog road which we used in Gaelforce last year, any idea of distance on it?

On that though, we got no information packs or any email since we reg'd so as mentioned, unless people signed up to the facebook page or stumbled across this page then Saturday's new route would be a complete surprise. Getting an email today will leave people very tight on time to get replacement tires.

• Advertisement

I was chatting to a few people last night who are doing the event, and it was news to them that there is an offroad section.

Had I not come on here, I wouldn't have found out, and would have went to the race on a racer with slicks, I have to change now to tougher tires. Not easy get them, its seems most people are only finding out now, and the gators are flying out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Doing this too. I even trained a little bit. Did it last wednesday:).

Not too impressed with the flow of info either. Have heard various reports about the two runs, start and finish. A 3 then a 4, a 4 then a 3 or two 4s? The map would seem to suggest we do the same run in two directions. How hard would it be to measure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Will have to stick the damn kevlar tyres back on again so. Still looking forward to it despite the changes, a day like today would be some consolation.

Will have to stick the damn kevlar tyres back on again so. Still looking forward to it despite the changes, a day like today would be some consolation.

You will be back down that black hole again if you don't comply :cool:

I'm only getting out Friday evening

• Advertisement

related question ... i see that people are talking about putting the puncture proof tyres back on... why would you take them off ... do they make a difference time wise, reason i ask is i bought my bike second hand and they came on it..so is it worth investing in a normal pair as well to change to when the others arent needed...

woody1 wrote: »
    related question ... i see that people are talking about putting the puncture proof tyres back on... why would you take them off ... do they make a difference time wise, reason i ask is i bought my bike second hand and they came on it..so is it worth investing in a normal pair as well to change to when the others arent needed...

Depends what you are at Woody to be honest, some people might put a slick tire on for bike races, and in my case, I left my kevlar tire on all winter and was using a turbo trainer and burnt a good tire away, so I have to get a replacement now, as I am bringing my old bike now due to the route change, instead of my new bike which has slicks on it.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Depends what you are at Woody to be honest, some people might put a slick tire on for bike races, and in my case, I left my kevlar tire on all winter and was using a turbo trainer and burnt a good tire away, so I have to get a replacement now, as I am bringing my old bike now due to the route change, instead of my new bike which has slicks on it.

Same here, I wanted to replace the back tyre after spinning so I just bought a slick or whatever you call them. The Kevlar one isn't too badly worn so i'll stick it back on for this.

well congrats on that 100th post ;)

My kevlar is toast, so don't forget to pick up that gatorskin for me tomorrow like a good boy!

Guys,

The information pack is on runireland for over 6 month at the bottom of the page where you entered :D

Distance where just change on the run due new location of the T1 and T2.

There was updates on the runireland news each week, facebook support and email support 7 days a week. And most of people have my phone number :p

Regarding tyres to be honest it is a rough patch so what you do is your decision, it is of road after all. I would like to think athletes put some brain storming of managing the Adventure :eek:

Email will be send shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Havent entered (yet tbc) but I have to say even as a non enterant I knew about the changes thru FB and the interweb, maybe I am a nosey pig and have too much time on my hands :D
    Saying that it makes no difference to me as I have not raced this course before.
    Would be concerned about the bike thou .

Well Padraig Marrey design this part of the course so if you did Sea to Summit you should know what to expect as a small adventure race.

I just sent the race briefing, remember this is not a TI sanctioned event.

I will be preparing the course for the next few days so won't be on boards. feel free to email us

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Are people going with bike shoes or runners all the way??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

I'll be going with runners all the way, not to sure if there's enough cycling to go with the bike shoes. plus carrying the shoes will be a pain.

I read thru the race brief this morning that was sent out, i dont see any thing about a mandatory kit??

Do i take this as bringing repair kits/first aid etc.. if you want??

Hmmm....really only thought of pedals when I got the brief....if I can get my hands on pedals before then might be worth my while changing!

Re the kit, I think you have to have tubes, tyre levers and a pump....everything else is optional!

• Advertisement

Do these have to be brought to the registration night on Friday?? Again nothing in the brief about this..

Not a clue :confused:

I'd say once you have them on the day it's grand!

locteau wrote: »
    Guys,

Distance where just change on the run due new location of the T1 and T2.

glad you made that clear

Did anybody get this email? I didn't. I just checked out the runireland page. It says there's a 4k run at the start and finish and on the same page it says there's a 3k and a 4k. It also says the cycle is all on sealed rural roads. Probably doesn't make a lot of odds for a mid-division plodder like me but it would be nice to know in advance.

A friend did the off road cycle part and she says its ok. She'll be doing it on slicks and hoping for the best.

Edit: email just arrived

snailsong wrote: »

A friend did the off road cycle part and she says its ok. She'll be doing it on slicks and hoping for the best.

Edit: email just arrived

I'm hoping to get out for a look at the offroad course tomorrow before registration! Hearing mixed reviews on it, some saying it's brutal and some saying it's not too bad!

Best to check it out myself to decide how best to tackle it on race day!

So do we have to bring anything to the registration night? First Aid kits etc? for the sea 2 summit we have to show all this the night before at registration..

Hi Guys,

The cycle off road is pretty rough, and the mix of views is simply because people use to adventure races like Gaelforce, think this one is easy.

But if you are like me, I would use a mountain bike with clips. Or a racer with running shoes if I had a old racer.

Maybe those pics of the of road will help you to decide :https://picasaweb.google.com/Locteau/HarlequinDuathlon2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCIuT1Ly11N-M6gE#

Regarding the first aid kit it is advisable, and the puncture kit is definitely needed (see pictures)

Registration is 6 to 10pm and on the saturday morning. (was in the race pack not in my core email, runireland etc....sorry)

hang on whilst i go buy a mountain bike !
    so the advice on the website and on the run ireland page that says a racer with gators should really read
    an old racer with gators
    because the road may f*ck up your good bike

i only have one bike and its not old ,
    i have no problems with the conditions of the roads it was on the website facebook page etc, i do have a problem with the advice given relative to that .. and the timing of it ... as its what most people entering would have based their decision to enter on ...

guess im just gonna have to walk/ run with the bike and see how it works on the day... i appreciate that all this is part of an adventure race and that people will have to adjust their own race to suit what they think of the conditions ..im just a bit annoyed with the conflicting advice ...

apart from that i hope all goes well on the day and best of luck to all involved both competitors and organisers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

hang on whilst i go buy a mountain bike !
    so the advice on the website and on the run ireland page that says a racer with gators should really read
    an old racer with gators
    because the road may f*ck up your good bike

i only have one bike and its not old ,
    i have no problems with the conditions of the roads it was on the website facebook page etc, i do have a problem with the advice given relative to that .. and the timing of it ... as its what most people entering would have based their decision to enter on ...

Think it is more a matter of how much regard folk have for their Racers Vs How Fast they really want to go on the off-road section.

As Locteau says, tri types would find it rough for a racer :eek: whilst those used to racing the GF hard probably have less regard for their bikes and will probably find it fine:).

Anyone that is giving the race a serious go will prob take the chance with a Racer and hope for the best but it is probably as much about controlling yer speed relative to the conditions and your skill level as bike and tyre selection.

I have not seen the route but will be chancing it on a decent road bike w fairly slick tyres - hopefully I will not crash like coming down the Skelp in GF:eek:!

Good luck to all competing.
    FYI - It is also the first race in the Nat Adv Race Points Series Sport Section (Shameless Plug :eek:!) - Never did get round to launching Series formally - always good to have surprises to add to the Adventure :D!

• Advertisement

ah right.. if thats the case then my apologies for my little hissy fit... i suppose we'll all find out tomorrow...
    dont care about speed particularly it looks a long stretch to be running with the bike so if i can avoid that even by cycling dead slow then great... dont think il be picking up any points in the adventure race league series thingy ... :-)

Advertisement