Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from Trinity College?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Caireann wrote: »
    Grow up.

Ah come on, that was a good burn. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Seriously, I'm fúckin' lost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

If you want details on societies, here's a list:
    http://www.tcdlife.ie/clubs-societies/

If you're looking for an excellent sport you can start as a complete beginner there's:

http://www.judo.tcdlife.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Trollhammaren: only here for 1 reason

gearoidof wrote: »
    Trollhammaren: only here for 1 reason

Be nice, now - this is the first time I've plugged Judo!

And yet I can't help but think you may know me in real life... suspicious...

Ah now, I don't mind the plugging, I take part in it myself, I just laugh at how blunt your plugs are!

8 times:
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=judo&sort=newest&f=468&u=325388

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CoganKnowsBest

Hey,

Em ok I'm going to take the risk of sounding redundant and post this anyway. First time poster on boards, so be nice!! :D I am in my final year of Arts (English and French) in UCC and just got offered a place in an MA in English in TCD in September. Came across my fair share of pretentious **** in UCC and this thread suggests everyone doing english/arts in TCD is a total snob, so I'm a bit put-off! Is this really true or just exaggeration/bias on the parts of most of the science heads on here!? I'm delighted to be offered a place though!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Why would you care if others are snobs? Befriend the un-snobs and ignore the snobs. Everybody wins.

The problem is that most of those going straight on to a masters arts degree are living on their parents wealth and never had to work a day in their life, they live in a strange bubble really. Most normal people need to work for a few years before affording what is effectively an intellectual indulgance. With the exception of the exceptional, who mop up all the scholarships...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Hey,

Em ok I'm going to take the risk of sounding redundant and post this anyway. First time poster on boards, so be nice!! :D I am in my final year of Arts (English and French) in UCC and just got offered a place in an MA in English in TCD in September. Came across my fair share of pretentious **** in UCC and this thread suggests everyone doing english/arts in TCD is a total snob, so I'm a bit put-off! Is this really true or just exaggeration/bias on the parts of most of the science heads on here!? I'm delighted to be offered a place though!! :)

Congratulations! With luck, I'll be starting a postgrad in English in September as well. Which MA? Anyway, no. I've never seen any evidence of snobbery in the English department - they (postgrads and lecturers) seem to get along as a group really well, and they're certainly not snobbish as far as research areas go. Do you mean "snob" as in all wealthy obnoxious upper-middle-class people? Very much not the case, as far as I can tell.

Ignore Denerick, we all do. It's not that he's wrong exactly, it's just that the multiple layers of cynicism make it hard to tell what's a reasonable assessment and what's misanthropy.

Hey,

I think there are plenty of snobs studying English in TCD - it does tend to attract them, but I made a number of friends who are applying for an MA in English, and they're some of the nicest, most down-to-Earth people I've ever met.

Sir Ophiuchus is just an exception, as he continually berates for my inferior breeding and poor socio-economic background. Sometimes he strikes me with his cane :(

I suppose I mean snob in the exaggerated Ross O Carroll-Kelly caricature sense!! :P

There seems to be less D4 types in English and more hipsters with a superiority complex, but they're a minority. I know of two people off hand who have definitely been accepted for an MA in English, and they're wonderful people.

I should mention that my previous post was in jest, as I know him in real life and we do poke fun at each other. :p

Ignore Denerick, we all do. It's not that he's wrong exactly, it's just that the multiple layers of cynicism make it hard to tell what's a reasonable assessment and what's misanthropy.

Its mostly misanthropy. Didn't you know? None of us are really living, we're organic beings that are constantly, slowly dying.tumblr_lj1y6yQGGJ1qdlubro1_500.jpg

No one I know in english thinks that other people are inferior to them, at any rate.

They're a posh bunch, it might be said, which some people mistake for snobbishness, but I don't think they're that much posher than other courses...

The real one to avoid is Ugrad BESS, aside from that, it's all fine.

Also yes, it's best to ignore Denerick. He's not always wrong, but he's always cynical.

edit: where the hell are you quoting him from, TrollHammaren?
    I suppose I mean snob in the exaggerated Ross O Carroll-Kelly caricature sense!! isn't said anywhere >.>

I suppose I mean snob in the exaggerated Ross O Carroll-Kelly caricature sense!! isn't said anywhere >.>

CoganKnowsBest had another post then deleted it for some reason, I think.

No one I know in english thinks that other people are inferior to them, at any rate.

I do know one or two in Fourth Year, but as I said, they're mostly grand.
    They're a posh bunch, it might be said, which some people mistake for snobbishness, but I don't think they're that much posher than other courses...

The real one to avoid is Ugrad BESS, aside from that, it's all fine.

Jesus, I used to shrug off the whole BESS stereotype until I was in the Pav with my Jujutsu instructor and one of the lads who studies BESS. Every 5 minutes one of his BESS friends came over and they were actually embodiments of Ross O'Carroll Kelly characters. Having said that, I know a few BESS graduates who are dead on.

Sir Ophiuchus is right, I think yer man deleted his post.

I see!

Yeah, I don't know how it works, but all of the BESS graduates I know are also dead on!

Maybe they mellow out over the 4 year course?

Maybe they mellow out over the 4 year course?

It's entirely possible. It could also be my exposure to them; naturally I'd want to avoid th "legends", so I meet more of the nice graduates, so it's probably just that when I'm in college the annoying ones are the most vocal, and the sound ones slip by undetected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

BESS has both dickheads and sound people. It's just that BESS dickheads are like caricatures, and they're all the same, so they're more easily noticable. There are plenty of sound people in BESS...especially the ones who do Politics and/or Econ :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

hey...laughing here at your comments on BESS, i am going back as 34yo mature student in sept.....dont think I can count myself as a Ross O'Carroll Kelly type....are you saying its full of D4 rugby heads???? :-)

dublin34 wrote: »
    hey...laughing here at your comments on BESS, i am going back as 34yo mature student in sept.....dont think I can count myself as a Ross O'Carroll Kelly type....are you saying its full of D4 rugby heads???? :-)

Private-school educated twats with the social skills of a gaseous dog. Be prepared to be irritated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

dublin34 wrote: »

You shouldn't be put off. OK, the stereotypes aren't completely unfounded. You'll find a few, but really there are all kinds of people in Trinity. It's a very diverse place. Even when you do encounter a character who on first inspection looks suspicious due to his unusually floppy hair and tight-fitting pink polo shirt with upturned collar and tiny little man on horse emblem, keep an open mind. A lot of "posh" people are still alright, it's just an accent and fashion style. You'll be fine.

You shouldn't be put off. OK, the stereotypes aren't completely unfounded. You'll find a few, but really there are all kinds of people in Trinity. It's a very diverse place. Even when you do encounter a character who on first inspection looks suspicious due to his unusually floppy hair and tight-fitting pink polo shirt with upturned collar and tiny little man on horse emblem, keep an open mind. A lot of "posh" people are still alright, it's just an accent and fashion style. You'll be fine.

Its the fecking walking canes that really piss me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

Denerick wrote: »
    worried? haha im looking forward to it even more now!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Denerick wrote: »

I thought you were referring to mature students there for a second.

Larianne wrote: »
    I thought you were referring to mature students there for a second.

Yeah, I hate the infirm and the disabled with a fiery passion! Bloody freeloaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AND WELL

When I got into Trinity I never even thought of the fact that there were said "hippies and *****", I was just happy I got my course.

When I got there, I wasn't....there weren't hippies everywhere. Yaknow? It's not what people think it is. IT LOOKS like people think it looks, as in there's a lot of ALT dressed folk, and in the Arts block you can't always be certain if it's a boy or a girl. But I've yet to meet many people that I'd consider "*****" or...just "Trinity Fags".

If you want to join a good society, one with fun people, go for VDP. It's huge and genuinely the reason I've enjoyed my year so much :)

AND WELL wrote: »
    When I got into Trinity I never even thought of the fact that there were said "hippies and *****", I was just happy I got my course.

When I got there, I wasn't....there weren't hippies everywhere. Yaknow? It's not what people think it is. IT LOOKS like people think it looks, as in there's a lot of ALT dressed folk, and in the Arts block you can't always be certain if it's a boy or a girl. But I've yet to meet many people that I'd consider "*****" or...just "Trinity Fags".

...what? Are you trying to say that Trinity was represented to you as a vry alternative place, but you've found it's full of regular people like everywhere else? Was it so hard to just say that?

I'm not sure what word you were trying to use that was censored, but please stop trying. That goes for "fags" as well. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I want to know what the word 'vry' means. Typical Trinity elitist's and their cool neologisms.

Advertisement