Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from Trinity College?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Jammyc wrote: »
    Generally points are higher because there are less places available or whatnot.

Not on the courses I'm thinking of.

Are people really arguing that TCD doesn't attract particularly studious types? I've attended two Irish uni's. There was a difference. Trust me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Pet wrote: »
    one doesn't encounter them that frequently, and they tend to be confined to the Team-England-heavy courses like English and History. The Trinity stereotype is unfounded.

What does that even mean? If it means what I think it means, its bordering on racist...

Frankly I've always found that the worst Trinity stereotype is basically found in most courses. Hipster-ism is a poisonous fad that has become so widespread that it is now the default position of every annoying little noob who has heard of Vladimir Nabokov (They haven't necessarily read him) Hipsters are represented across the board, what with their degenerate fashion sense and their avant garde pretensions and their self indulgant 'analysis' of second rate 70s arthouse films... God I'm glad I've graduated.
    Are people really arguing that TCD doesn't attract particularly studious types? I've attended two Irish uni's. There was a difference. Trust me.

Only in the arts and humanities. I'd imagine that science, business economics etc. would be pretty much the same. Thankfully TCD hasn't bought into this mediocre arts and humanities buzz that other Irish UNIs have. If you want to study history/politics/sociology etc. seriously then you go to TCD. If you want to get drunk for three years you go to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Most people in trinity are grand, much like most people in UCD, and Galway, and Limerick and any college in the country. It's not some magical closed off world of snooty horse riding protestants and weak-necked scholars. The one difference I'd say is there are far more foreign students, which is nice, but otherwise it's just a college like any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Caireann wrote: »
    What exactly do societies do? Do yous meet up and just have the chat or . . . ?

as inkblot said, it depends on the society, but for most societies, it starts off as planned events, say a weekly film night, nights out, getting together to do what said society is about. Some societies will plan weekends away to places.

Somewhere along the way, you'll become friends with other members of the society, and from there on, you could expect to do any number of things, from hanging around on couches, getting tea, getting drunk. The usual stuff you do with friends, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I have to agree with Denerick that there can be annoying pretentious types, but that is generally confined to Arts. Most people I met in Science/Engineering were pretty sound, and I'd recommend it.

On a side note though, if you're thinking of studying science in TCD, be aware that here and in UCD the course tends to be more theory-based (in Biology, anyway). While a lot of the work can seem tougher than other colleges, I knew a DIT graduate who learned to maintain and repair a hepa filter before we even knew what one was.

Not that it makes much of a difference to your career outcome, just what you'll be studying.

Also, I know people who went to NUIM, and the whole college seems to hang around as one group, which some people like, but it's not for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

What does that even mean? If it means what I think it means, its bordering on racist...

Yes, because twatty, spoiled, stuck-up, ignorant English people are a race. How did I forget?
    Only in the arts and humanities. I'd imagine that science, business economics etc. would be pretty much the same.

What are you basing this on? Your experiences as a science student? Science students in Trinity are just as competitive (if not moreso) than the arts block students. Look at the number who do summer internships, go on to do fully-funded PhDs and MScs, etc.

Most people in trinity are grand, much like most people in UCD, and Galway, and Limerick and any college in the country. It's not some magical closed off world of snooty horse riding protestants and weak-necked scholars. The one difference I'd say is there are far more foreign students, which is nice, but otherwise it's just a college like any other.

there is cricket though dahhhling! Don't forget the glorious paintings in the exam hall in Front Square or in the dining hall either. Damn protestants!

Ah it's grand. I did my degree in Trinity, Masters in Galway. I met the same amount of w@nkers in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I dunno about the **** thing, I think you're overestimating or overstating it, TrollHammaren. Yes, there are pretentious goobers, but their numbers are few, one doesn't encounter them that frequently, and they tend to be confined to the Team-England-heavy courses like English and History. The Trinity stereotype is unfounded.

I'm not too sure. Granted, most of the **** I've met were in the Arse Block, with the vast majority of them in BESS and Sociology. One of my best friends is in Law, and he said it attracts the worst kind of díckhead imaginable.
    Then again, I did science and my contact with Arts-end types was mostly through societies, so selection bias ftw.

Yeah, most of my non-arts friends I met in the Judo club, and they're all dead-on. Could also be selection bias, but I do remember sitting in Reids getting something printed and I was chatting away to a load of engineers - absolute gents, the lot of them. It could just be that I've had to much exposure to the Arse Block.

Denerick wrote: »

He's not referring to regular students from England; Team England is a very specific social group consisting of spoilt, arrogant, snobby rich-kids who all discover each other in Halls and first year and plague Trinity with their stuck-up presence. Very few English (the people, not the subject) students in Trinity actually associate themselves with Team England.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Can't be bothered looking through the ridiculous conversation that this thread seems to be.

To answer the question, I'd say expect to have the time of your life.

• Advertisement

just-joe wrote: »
    Can't be bothered looking through the ridiculous conversation that this thread seems to be.

To answer the question, I'd say expect to have the time of your life.

Thats probably because you're one of the arse block types in question. Can't you come up with a similar jibe about Hamiltonians? Uncouth bogmen, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Denerick wrote: »
    Thats probably because you're one of the arse block types in question. Can't you come up with a similar jibe about Hamiltonians? Uncouth bogmen, perhaps?

Couldn't make a jibe about hamiltonians, I've never been to the hamilton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Its full of Prods and homosexuals, if you're either of this you'll find in grand. If not you'll become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Caireann

Ok what is the hamilton already?

Its a big building on the other side of the university. Full of thugs and peasants.

It's the science building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Inkblot

The building at the eastern end of the campus where all the science students go to as opposed to the arts building which houses the humanities. :)

Edit: Darn - too late, haven't seen the other two posts. Well now you're informed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

You know part of being in Uni is figuring certain things out for yourself. A small bit of searching through boards would have shown you its a building..

Groinshot wrote: »
    You know part of being in Uni is figuring certain things out for yourself. A small bit of searching through boards would have shown you its a building..

It's great to see fellow Trinity students being helpful and lending their advice, information, and support to other potential students. Another shining example of why we, as Trinity students, have such a great reputation for not being stuck up our own proverbial rectums.

Ah sure down around the Science end of campus most people are friendly in my experience. My first day in first year, freshers week, I had to go and meet my tutor somewhere really hard to find. It was before the orientation meeting or anything so I was pretty lost. The very first guy I asked for directions walked me the whole way there because it was so hard to find!

• Advertisement

Ah sure down around the Science end of campus most people are friendly in my experience. My first day in first year, freshers week, I had to go and meet my tutor somewhere really hard to find. It was before the orientation meeting or anything so I was pretty lost. The very first guy I asked for directions walked me the whole way there because it was so hard to find!

He was probably going to lead you to the infamous Hamilton toilets but bottled it in the end.

It's great to see fellow Trinity students being helpful and lending their advice, information, and support to other potential students. Another shining example of why we, as Trinity students, have such a great reputation for not being stuck up our own proverbial rectums.

It's great to see possible trinity students who haven't even managed to google the words "hamilton building" This is exactly why undergrads have a bad reputation-asking absolutely pointless questions when the answer is staring them blindly in the face.(The first page of googles results is what I would consider staring blindly in your face)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's great to see possible trinity students who haven't even managed to google the words "hamilton building" This is exactly why undergrads have a bad reputation-asking absolutely pointless questions when the answer is staring them blindly in the face.(The first page of googles results is what I would consider staring blindly in your face)

Well I decided to test out your theory. Google doesn't tell you exactly what the Hamilton Building is on the first page. It's all maps, then something about the Mathematics dept (yawn). Also, this: http://www.gaire.com/e/f/view.asp?parent=390489

:|

i mistyped what to put in (obviously he wouldnt be searching for hamilton building if he didn't know what it was) but if you type in "trinity college dublin ha" it autosuggests "milton building"
    Doesn't get any more obvious than that..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well I put in Hamilton Building TCD and it gave the results above.

We're students there. We have the inside info. We know where to dry off if you get soaked in the rain (MAC computer rooms), where the nicer toilets are, who sells the nicest coffee etc.

Ya don't have to reply to these threads ya know! :p

Hear hear Larianne!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Larianne wrote: »
    Well I decided to test out your theory. Google doesn't tell you exactly what the Hamilton Building is on the first page. It's all maps, then something about the Mathematics dept (yawn). Also, this: http://www.gaire.com/e/f/view.asp?parent=390489

What else could anyone want to know about the Hamilton? :confused:

Edit:1000th post :)

Hear hear Larianne!
    **** you Caireann

**** you Caireann

wat

• Advertisement