Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from Trinity College?

Options
  • 20-03-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Im hoping to go to trinity college and do a science course so Im just wondering what I should expect? I don't mean to offend anyone but alot of people have said to me that only nerds and hippies go to trinity and I havent heard alot about societies in TCD especially compared to DCU who never shut up about them. :rolleyes: It would be a help if yous could share your trinity experiences because although i plan to work hard I want to have the craic at the same time. :p

Comments

Science and arts are massively segragated. Arts students think all down the science end are culchie nerds, science students think those down the arts end are getting by on daddy's money, aren't too smart and do as many lectures in a week as they do in a day. Then there's BESS students, but that's a different story :D

I did science and it was a very varied amount of people. You got the nerds of course, but everyone I knew could have the craic, go to labs half cut from the night before but still get everything handed in on time and get good grades.

I didn't join any big societies or clubs. The ones you have heard of are probably the Phil and the Hist. Very old societies but to be an active member of one of them is not gonna really happen if you do science because you won't have the time. There are societies for everything imaginable though so you will find something to suit you.

Overall, I received a great education from Trinity and an ok social life (could have been better, but with 70e a month for food/clothes/drink I didn't get to go out that much!). What pissed me off was in science how they look down on you if you decide you want to go into industry rather than continue on with academia once you've graduated. There's still a fair bit of the old fashioned snobbery hanging around in there but it's slowly being weeded out.

That's my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Trinity is full of cunts, don't come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Most of the hippies are down the Arts end of campus so other than walking through that area for buses etc. there's little need to worry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Caireann

No I havent heard of the Phil and the Hist, what are they? To be honest I don't really know what societies are about. As far as I can tell you just meet up with people and get free food and drink... which sounds pretty damn good to me!!
    70e a month? Your family were generous! :p
    Trinity is full of cunts, don't come.
    Do you go there? :D
    amacachi wrote: »
    Most of the hippies are down the Arts end of campus so other than walking through that area for buses etc. there's little need to worry about them.
    No im hoping to get accom. in Trinity halls :D

why would you assume my parents put me through college?

• Advertisement

It was a joke.

I'm almost finished my second year of science, and yeah it's good. Unfortunately with a science course you have to make an extra effort to get involved in societies. Most of them are located on the other side of campus so you can't just pop in, and you sometimes have to miss out on a lot of activities. Some societies (for example netsoc, a computer society) are based near the science end, but not many science students would be as involved in the Phil or Hist as an Arts student would. If you're doing general science then you're in luck as you get about 4 class reps, and in my class at least they really go out of their way to have lots of nights out. I'd say your best bet is to get involved in class stuff. The Phil and Hist are two societies, I think the oldest ones in Trinity, which would have debates etc and have their own building, the GMB. A lot of science students get involved in the Sci-Fi soc, which is pretty friendly but personally I didn't have the energy to keep going over.

As for avoiding buses as you're going to Halls, you know that Halls is actually quite a bit away from Trinity?

I think the main thing you might want to prepare for is how time consuming a science course is. I kept up a social life throughout first year but as a result only ever did the bare minimum of work, now I'm in second year it's even harder, and I'm having to sacrifice nights out for the sake of write ups and recovering from 9:00 to 18:00 mondays with no break.

Anything else you wanna know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I'm almost finished my second year of science, and yeah it's good. Unfortunately with a science course you have to make an extra effort to get involved in societies. Most of them are located on the other side of campus so you can't just pop in, and you sometimes have to miss out on a lot of activities. Some societies (for example netsoc, a computer society) are based near the science end, but not many science students would be as involved in the Phil or Hist as an Arts student would. If you're doing general science then you're in luck as you get about 4 class reps, and in my class at least they really go out of their way to have lots of nights out. I'd say your best bet is to get involved in class stuff. The Phil and Hist are two societies, I think the oldest ones in Trinity, which would have debates etc and have their own building, the GMB. A lot of science students get involved in the Sci-Fi soc, which is pretty friendly but personally I didn't have the energy to keep going over.
    You make it sound like walking from the Hamilton to the GMB is some sort of expedition.

blubloblu wrote: »
    You make it sound like walking from the Hamilton to the GMB is some sort of expedition.

It is! I'm going to start a petition for a tram to go from building to building. It will run on rainbows and serve only me. If I can't get it up and running in time to grab pizza there next fresher's week, I'll pay leprechauns to carry me around by my ego.

:rolleyes:

Wow that sounds like a lot of work! Yeah the halls is in Rathmines right? Do you mean experiment right-ups? Because i hate them so i couldn't imagine spending all my days writing them up. Is there alot of people in your class?

• Advertisement

Yeah Rathmines and yeah experimental write ups. It depends what science you're doing, biology is nothing to worry about. There's a lot of people in my class, couldn't give you a number but I think the Chemistry module is about 200 people.

Ohright, which science are you doing? Im thinking of doing common science choosing maths, biology and chemistry and i'm sure what route i'll take then but i'd love a job in cancer research so whatever suits that!

I'm in common science, in first year I did biology and chemistry but instead of doing maths I did maths methods + foundation physics. I'm supposed to be choosing my moderatorship in a few weeks, and looking at it now I'm so glad I had the extra two years to figure out exactly what I wanted. I'm just as interested in science now as I was two years ago, but my specific areas of interest are really different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Beware of the society hacks. Don't become one. Their allure is intoxicating. You must resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Hippies and nerds are the coolest. icon_smug.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

hippies and ners ARE the coolest!

Socs and clubs are fun. People in trinity don't talk about them as much, it's true.
    Most societies and clubs are for people who have a common interest to meet up and do that which interests them. College is nice because more people means more obscure interests will have more interested parties. And popular interests will have lots of people interested in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

In relation to social life, I would say there are a lot of formal events such as balls but less spontaneous fun than other campuses. People will of course have some casual nights out, but possibly due to Dublin prices, heavy workloads and a certain type of person that TCD attracts, I don't think they party as hard as other campuses. Most of the housemates I had over the 4 years went out once every few weeks, whereas when I attended a different uni before, people went out a few times every week.:D I think the best balance is somewhere in between. ;) You can have a social life though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Hippies and nerds are the coolest. icon_smug.gif

awooga

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Honestly, I thought the social scene in Trinity was crap and rarely went out on college nights during my 4 years there. Not that Im anti social, but the social scene in DCU/Maynooth and to a lesser extent UCD was far more enjoyable than any TCD night I ever went on (Arts nights out=spending a fortune in Cafe en Seine then heading to a **** Dublin nightclub). The balls were always good craic though.

That said, the campus and location makes up for that once you've friends that dont mind you bailing in our their college nights out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

awooga

:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I'm not going to lie to you, OP, but Trinity is stuffed full of wánkers, so you really need to make the effort to meet new people.

It can be very enjoyable if you look around for a society that interests you, rather than a big one with loads of funding that drags you in with shiny things, such as the Phil or the Hist (unless you're into debating, then go for it!)

Most of my friends in college are from my class (SS Psychology) and Judo.

I would disagree with whoever said most the societies are up at the Arse Block end: most of the sports are in the Sports Centre, which is right next to the Hamilton (Science building), and most societies usually meet up in a local pub.

Make your own craic, OP, just don't develop an ego about yourself like most TCD students do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I dunno about the **** thing, I think you're overestimating or overstating it, TrollHammaren. Yes, there are pretentious goobers, but their numbers are few, one doesn't encounter them that frequently, and they tend to be confined to the Team-England-heavy courses like English and History. The Trinity stereotype is unfounded.

Then again, I did science and my contact with Arts-end types was mostly through societies, so selection bias ftw.

Also, the social scene in Trinity is fantastic, it just doesn't necessarily revolve around dumb club nights, it's more society-based. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably just wasn't arsed making an effort. (Here's looking at you, Azureus.)

What exactly do societies do? Do yous meet up and just have the chat or . . . ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Inkblot

Depends on the societies, Caireann. They are normally centered around a certain topic (e.g. Roleplaying, Different sports, choir, International students....) and if you are interested in that topic you join. They normally organize nights out or events and have their room, where you can meet people and make new friends.

Being an (International) Arts Student, I don't find the Arts Block too bad, but yes, most of my Irish friends hail from the Hamilton. :D

and a certain type of person that TCD attracts,

What type of person is that? :rolleyes:

Caireann wrote: »
    What type of person is that? :rolleyes:

A very studious (and sometimes competitive) person. I'll give as evidence the fact that the points for most courses are usually higher than the corresponding courses elsewhere. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being studious, but lets not pretend it's not true.

A very studious (and sometimes competitive) person. I'll give as evidence the fact that the points for most courses are usually higher than the corresponding courses elsewhere. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being studious, but lets not pretend it's not true.

I'm almost finished second year and have only ever been in the library once. :)

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm almost finished second year and have only ever been in the library once. :)

Good for you but I'd say you're in a select group. By the way, do you like to study at home?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Generally points are higher because there are less places available or whatnot.

• Advertisement

Good for you but I'd say you're in a select group. By the way, do you like to study at home?;)

I couldn't get a book out that time, couldn't find it. Got my sister to get me a book once and I didn't study it. I'm not sure what I would study at home, my entire "notes" for this year consist of a tatty A4 refill pad that's more generally used for redoing Sudoku puzzles that I messed up. :)

Advertisement