Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

she sure looks good, would you ever think of just using that girl for commerical breeding, not saying she wouldnt make a good pedigree breeder now just that say if she brought a nice blue calf for example it might be worth just as much to you with a lot less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I know what you mean.
    I suppose the pedigree bit of things will be a hobby as much as anything. The comercial ladies will be the bread and butter at the end of the day and if she isnt producing top class stuff she'll be going in calf to a blue but I'm hoping she'll breed well and hope to eventually have maybe 10 or so purebreds running with the commercial herd

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

jasus bogman shes a class lady hope she goes real well 4 ya!!!

Thanks tismesoitis. if she breads stock half as good as yours I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

have this blue x fr animal over 2yr old ,had calf-section wondering if i should factory her or bring to the mart. tried to upload it but it said service unavailable.will try again later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

springing part heifer ,and the landais heifer calf that was at the ploughing now springing, doesnt time fly.

a hereford will always have a white head calf:rolleyes::rolleyes: even when hes meant to be blue:P

a bb cow by rocky and her part calf by one of the weanling bulls:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

leg wax wrote: »
    some of the lim heifers for the bull this year,they were all in cows that i bought in kilcullen mart by a stock bull by ferry.

Right good heifers there leg wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

springing part heifer ,and the landais heifer calf that was at the ploughing now springing, doesnt time fly.

The Landais heifer: What is she off and what is she carrying to?

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    The Landais heifer: What is she off and what is she carrying to?
    shes out of a malibu heifer out of a blue,she calved yesterday to the stock bull.the calf was comeing backwards so i took her out the side.

Bodacious wrote: »
    Right good heifers there leg wax.
    what lim bull would be a good cross with ferry keeping in mind that i will be keeping as replacements all you lim fans not just interested in easy calveing (fl22) ,a stock bull suits the out farm.also i am still leaning towards part for them,but if a good lim that would complement themwas out there i would go that root.

ozeus from NCBC. Easy calved with a proven maternal in france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

what lim bull would be a good cross with ferry keeping in mind that i will be keeping as replacements all you lim fans not just interested in easy calveing (fl22) ,a stock bull suits the out farm.also i am still leaning towards part for them,but if a good lim that would complement themwas out there i would go that root.

I have a couple of calves off sauvignon this year. I'm seriously impressed with him. He's easy enough calved but the calves have grown very fast.
    Dovea bought him recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

savignon also comes in sexed semen.often thought of tryin a few so i could use more blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I thought Siam (SIX) was the best of limousins I've used. He is very hard calving though, so souldn't be used on heifers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

dsc1774y.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc1776p.jpg

dsc1777q.jpg

Thought I'd show some of my stock off, was moving them earlier so took the camera with me. The first two heifers are off SFL, late March calves, while the bull is the first week of Feb and off BOB. All are next to their dams. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Class cattle Karen
    When are you showing the red heifer ??

thetangler wrote: »
    Class cattle Karen
    When are you showing the red heifer ??

Heh, you won't get her easily, I have her picked for breeding if she does well this winter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Is that Shorthorn coming through in her colouring?

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Is that Shorthorn coming through in her colouring?

Her dam there is Navarin off a British Fresian/Jersey/Something unknown.
    So there is a possibility of there having been Shorthorn in her lineage.
    Although the way I seen one of her calves leap a ditch before, there could well be RedRum in there too.:P

Got a few more this evening, plus another one of the red as she conviently came up to me. The second lass is only a May calf, and the third is mid April. Both SFL as well. Plus the newest addition to the herd lying down, a PB Lim out of PAM.:D

dsc1782a.jpg

dsc1784d.jpg

dsc1785.jpg

Lovely stock, no doubt!
    What do you do for replacements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Karen112 wrote: »
    Got a few more this evening, plus another one of the red as she conviently came up to me. The second lass is only a May calf, and the third is mid April. Both SFL as well. Plus the newest addition to the herd lying down, a PB Li

Lovely cattle Karen, third heifer the blue looks a nice heifer too, a keeper maybe along with the red?!;)

Lovely stock, no doubt!
    What do you do for replacements?

See that wee little LM lying down there, she's this years, along with the red blue if she widens more. When a cow starts hitting 6 we look for a replacement & hope for a female, if not, a LM bull isn't the worst to have in the ring.

See that wee little LM lying down there, she's this years, along with the red blue if she widens more. When a cow starts hitting 6 we look for a replacement & hope for a female, if not, a LM bull isn't the worst to have in the ring.

Do you find it hard to retain milk?

Do you find it hard to retain milk?

Not too bad actually, Navarin bred a lot of the PB LMs and he has very good maternal & milk rates. All the commercial ones are second/third generation br/fr and have plenty.

Bodacious wrote: »
    Got a few more this evening, plus another one of the red as she conviently came up to me. The second lass is only a May calf, and the third is mid April. Both SFL as well. Plus the newest addition to the herd lying down, a PB Li

Lovely cattle Karen, third heifer the blue looks a nice heifer too, a keeper maybe along with the red?!;)

Could be! The mother is a mad b**** though so only if she keeps quiet.
    Plus I have to head off to Mayo for six months work provisionally, so can't have wild stock around for my poor daddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Some pics of last week.

I had a few days off and had to tackle some pipe work. Our place was leased for a number of years and the tenants didnt have much interest in maintenance.

One of the more critical problems, ie inspection trouble, was that the clean water from gutters was all just running down the yard into the slurry tank and under the nitrates directive that's just not allowed.

Many moons ago, long before nitrates came about my wife and her father had put in proper gullies to take away the water but in hindsight didnt bury them deep enough. A change in setup after his death meant that silage was being drawn into one of the yards over one of the pipes.

Fast forward a few years and you're left with this

farmyard1.jpg

Ideally everything should have been redone completely and buried a foot down but I was only looking to repair, and hopefully improve, without actually replacing. if my work proves unsucessful then I'll revisit it in the future.

Got myself a consaw and kango for the bank holiday, dug everything out, freed out the drains and started repairing the pipework. That black fitting is a fierce handy yoke, in a repair situation where you dont have enough room to use a normal joiner that rubber piece is smooth internally so you slide it all the way over one pipe, insert the repair piece and then slide it back over the gap and tighten the clips.

farmyard2.jpg

New pipe in the trench and a new downpipe from one of the cubicle houses.

farmyard3.jpg

Some rebar to hopefully give the job a better chance of survival

farmyard4.jpg

The finished product. Doesnt look like it but there's a fairly gradual ramp over the pipe, only a few inches of concrete, but hopefully with the rebar, and a strong mix it will work. That and we wont be drawing silage over it in the future.

farmyard5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Something similar here at another spot, decided a manhole cover might be useful if they ever block in the future.

farmyard6.jpg

Problem is when you start digging it can be hard to stop sometimes.

farmyard7.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of that one finished, but looks much the same, only with concrete :)

Also relocated/replaced a downpipe here. I think in the past the downpipe was just at the end of the crush, but outside the gate, a new gate had brought it inside the crush where it was never gonna last. extended the guter round the corner and put up a new downpipe with a chicane at the bottom

farmyard8.jpg

Just need to make a small "speed bump" on top of the pipe to protect it where it's become exposed here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement