Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

I know you're not being smart and while you do have a very reasonable and valid point, I am aware of my own flaws and think somebody else would do a better job.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Unfortunately in that case it won't happen because everyone thinks the same. The only way it happens is when people step up and try regardless of how suitable they are for the job. You just gotta try and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Organise one.

Not being smart, if you like the game, it's your responsibilty to get the scene going.

FFS, :(
    That's a bit harsh & could seem awful cliquey to newbies. Would it not have been easier to type out a few tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Is there any word on when we might see some MK tourneys? Me and chuey had a few good games and future guy has some sweet combos but i didnt get to play him:(

Start up a casuals thread, there's a huge amount of folk playing MK casually.
    There's a massive thread over over in the games forum.

There's way more people playing MK on a casual level then any other fighting game.
    When you've started a thread here, organise a date for casuals. Post in the thread over in the games forum.
    Highlight how much fun playing someone face to face over an online situation is.

Once you've a decent amount of people hyped for a tourney after playing casuals, then follow the same format for organising a tourney.

If you need more advice or help give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I know you're not being smart and while you do have a very reasonable and valid point, I am aware of my own flaws and think somebody else would do a better job.:p

Pretty sure theres one next month with the evo quilfier. Since theres bbcs2 (hopefully) mvc3. If not. Like Doom said, just gonna have to start one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A-Trak wrote: »
    FFS, :(
    That's a bit harsh & could seem awful cliquey to newbies. Would it not have been easier to type out a few tips?

It might seem harsh but it's true. That's the second post wondering about tournaments... and of course I will help out in any way I can. Everyone here knows I will be in the corner with my hauppage at a MK tournament if it happens.

But SF succeeded because people who were passionate about it manned up and did it. I honestly believe the same could be possible for MK too, but it needs the same passion from it's players to do so. And I will be behind them 100% helping them out (although not playing) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

chueytoo wrote: »
    Pretty sure theres one next month with the evo quilfier. Since theres bbcs2 (hopefully) mvc3. If not. Like Doom said, just gonna have to start one.

There is an MK9 tourney at the Evo Qualifer.... and a BB one as well. In fact, I think you and Voa are running it :p - or so he tells me.

The Mk9 tourney will be playin second fiddle to SSF4 and MVC though. It'll be a single elim tourney. I'll post up more details on that this week in the other thread. As for an different MK9 tourney, maybe start with an online tourney to gauge interest? I ran two online tourneys for SSF4 and they seemed to be fun for all. (I have no idea what MK9 is like online btw)

ayjayirl wrote: »
    (I have no idea what MK9 is like online btw)

Neither does anyone on PSN.

Did I do it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ayjayirl wrote: »
    There is an MK9 tourney at the Evo Qualifer.... and a BB one as well. In fact, I think you and Voa are running it :p - or so he tells me.

The Mk9 tourney will be playin second fiddle to SSF4 and MVC though. It'll be a single elim tourney. I'll post up more details on that this week in the other thread. As for an different MK9 tourney, maybe start with an online tourney to gauge interest? I ran two online tourneys for SSF4 and they seemed to be fun for all. (I have no idea what MK9 is like online btw)
    It's dreadful. I've had 14 or so disconnections on it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

So, I put MK on this evening to show a mate who was thinking of buying it and when it came on, there was a 3mb update to download for it. Anyone know details of what was updated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Neeknak wrote: »
    So, I put MK on this evening to show a mate who was thinking of buying it and when it came on, there was a 3mb update to download for it. Anyone know details of what was updated?

Was that your first time playing the game? Then that was the patch that was installed when we first played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Nah, I've had it since about a week after release. Before yesterday, the last time I played it was Saturday or Sunday. Did anyone else get prompted to update yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

http://kotaku.com/5800529/in-which-noob-saibot-lives-up-to-his-name

Oooh, the Fatality part is kinda familiar...I'm actually pretty good at pulling them off consistently in this MK though!

anyone else notice how hard it is to pull babalities off online?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

You cant block during the last round of a match to do a babality

you can in single player but you don't need to for smokes.

Smallest bit of button delay makes it impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

GorySnake wrote: »
    You cant block during the last round of a match to do a babality

I think you can actually press the block button, you just can't get hit while doing it. So aslong as you don't take any chip babalities still work I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'm able to pull of babalities online all the time. Though, I'm some cases, its not possible as the other player is too good so you kind of need to block in that case.

On that topic, I was in a lobby called beginners and had a 2 close matches with one guy, I win the second one and perform a babality, the other guy then tells me I was the worst Scopion he'd ever played!

Erm.... hello, the lobby was called beginners and I couldn't block if I wanted to do a babality in the first place! Also, I messed up Juggle combos because of online lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

finally got around to picking up this game today, and I gotta say i'm quiet impressed with it. Have played around with most of the modes and by the looks of it, there is a lot of life in this game. Havent gotten around to online yet (as im on PS3 :() but I can tell thta between the Story Mode and Challenge tower, i will be kept fairly busy!

Just after gettin as far as
    the Cyrax
    chapter in Story mode and just
    defeated Sheeva.
    I'm really enjoying how the story plays out, cheesy but fun

Looks like there's a pretty bad glitch with Raiden discovered.

Not sure on the specifics how easy it is to set up, so it could be hugely impractical in a match but it looks like it's round won for Raiden if it lands from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I'd like to see it done online tbh!

I'd like to see it done online tbh!

I'd be more worried about people abusing them in money tournaments.

Still, I don't know about their feasability, I am not really an MK player.

I'd be more worried about people abusing them in money tournaments.

Still, I don't know about their feasability, I am not really an MK player.
    Would be pretty hard tbh, trapping someone in a corner can be hard enough cos of the block and breaker. Getting a whole combo like that they'd pretty much have to let you.

The raiden one looks more possible but I doubt it happens 99% of the time you do that combo

Would be pretty hard tbh, trapping someone in a corner can be hard enough cos of the block and breaker. Getting a whole combo like that they'd pretty much have to let you.

The raiden one looks more possible but I doubt it happens 99% of the time you do that combo

Indeed, but it depends on the specifics of the combos- you can be damn sure there'll be people trying to find easier ways to land them.

It's also not unknown for big players to discover stuff and keep it secret until a big tournament to earn the prize- won't be good for MK9 if something like that appears on an internationally streamed tourney. Anyways, that's just wild speculation.

Sometimes glitches can be good things too though, the most famous being the concept of cancelling moves which apparently was a glitch in the very first build of Street Fighter 2. The use of the DHC glitch in Marvel is currently having whole teams built around it too. Whether that's good or bad is up to debate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Sub-Zero glitch is much worse. Sub-Zero can easily get you to the corner with his slide combos and cause an irreversible freeze glitch that ends the whole match.

It can be done midscreen too:

Raiden's can be done anywhere on the screen, but its avoidable by the opposing player and can be fixed. It only occurs if you try and crouch block the Electric Fly at the end of that combo, if you try and crouch block, it'll happen 100% of the time, if you stand block it, you'll block the Electric Fly and no glitch occurs. Even if it were to accidently occur in a match, you can be knocked out of the float by a neutral jump attack.

Eep. That aint so good.

I assume it'll be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Mortal Kombat was the biggest selling game for April folks, even beatind Portal 2 :D (in U.S. anyway)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6313540.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B8

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mortal Kombat was the biggest selling game for April folks, even beatind Portal 2 :D (in U.S. anyway)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6313540.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B8
    Means nothing until Valve release Steam sales figures.

Which they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

It's strange, the more I play this, the more I'd prefer to be playing Street Fighter or Blazblue, and I adored it when it came out. It's not just the block system, it's a lot of things. I can't put my finger on it.

Still, challenge tower is a blast.

Advertisement