Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I read that MK9 swaps hosts if the other person has a better connection

The Hound wrote: »
    The online is ok, You go to join room then either create a room, name it 000000Europe or so and ppl from europe will join. I usually look for a room with the name England or so.

Yep, that's what i did last night, joined a local room, so as to make sure the ping was low, and only played people with strong connections, and it was a crap experience. I have a 20mb fibre line with 18ms ping speed and 0% packet loss on it too, so i KNOW it wasn't a bad connection causing the issue. Over about 10 or so matches across 3 or 4 different opponents i got input lag, general delay and sluggishness and unreliable timing difficulties.

One thing that made it particularly difficult was trying to play defence with the delayed inputs. Any counter move or special i tried to pull out was immediately smashed because of the delay between the buton press and the move happening. I was sick of nightwolf's shoulder charge by the end of the session. It was just frustrating.
    Playing it offline? By which you mean the computer? You cant compare the AI to real people.

No, not just the AI, that's what it is, and will always be cheap and predictable, but i had a blast playing this all over the weekend with the mates in offline local matches, and then i took it online and there was absolutely no comparison between the 2 experiences. When you compare that to some of the better netcoded capcom games like HDR or SSFIV which are at least comparable online vs offline if you get a good connection, i can't help feeling that they missed a trick with MK. Fighting games are all about online modes now, this feels like it just needed more work.

Am planning to get some private matches going with lads 10 miles up the road from me soon to see if that helps the situation. If it does, that will be the way forward from now on, screw player matches and rooms with laggy randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I got my copy now!

In regards to the online, they're aware of the problems and are working on it

http://www.psu.com/forums/NetherRealm-+-Warner-address-Mortal-Kombat-onlin--a011480-p0.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

eco2live wrote: »
    I read that MK9 swaps hosts if the other person has a better connection

I think just about every Xbox game does that, whoever creates the lobby shouldn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Day_Sleeper

I REALLY WANT TO PLAY IT :eek: All the discussion on the forums is making me really excited to get it

First and last time I use Play.com..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Yep, that's what i did last night, joined a local room, so as to make sure the ping was low, and only played people with strong connections, and it was a crap experience. I have a 20mb fibre line with 18ms ping speed and 0% packet loss on it too, so i KNOW it wasn't a bad connection causing the issue. Over about 10 or so matches across 3 or 4 different opponents i got input lag, general delay and sluggishness and unreliable timing difficulties.

One thing that made it particularly difficult was trying to play defence with the delayed inputs. Any counter move or special i tried to pull out was immediately smashed because of the delay between the buton press and the move happening. I was sick of nightwolf's shoulder charge by the end of the session. It was just frustrating.

No, not just the AI, that's what it is, and will always be cheap and predictable, but i had a blast playing this all over the weekend with the mates in offline local matches, and then i took it online and there was absolutely no comparison between the 2 experiences. When you compare that to some of the better netcoded capcom games like HDR or SSFIV which are at least comparable online vs offline if you get a good connection, i can't help feeling that they missed a trick with MK. Fighting games are all about online modes now, this feels like it just needed more work.

Am planning to get some private matches going with lads 10 miles up the road from me soon to see if that helps the situation. If it does, that will be the way forward from now on, screw player matches and rooms with laggy randomers.
    Come to casuals in Dublin (XGC Liffey Streey) play it there, I dont think the online is that bad. SF4 is certainly superior and we shouldn't compare that to any other, as for HDR or MVC3 they're atrocious. We shouldn't compare other fighting games to SF4 as vanilla was ok and they rectified any mistakes with SSF4. There is nothing cheap about a fighting game unless its a broken tool like an infinite that does 100% damage. Not even Xfactor is cheap in MVC3.
    I've been playing a few lads from Ireland and england, one guy from Italy whos connections fine. I'd never play an italian at SSF4 because of input lag which kills that game. MK9 doesnt take top execution tbh. Combos are easy enough. Random X ray is godlike, Xray is so fast it punishes whiffed normals

Come to casuals in Dublin (XGC Liffey Streey) play it there, I dont think the online is that bad. SF4 is certainly superior and we shouldn't compare that to any other, as for HDR or MVC3 they're atrocious.

Yep, that's where i'll be going if i get enough time with the game to master a main character. The competition is pretty stiff down there, last thing i want to be is cannon fodder, so if i'm going i need to be gettin' my game on first.:D

BTW, i know it's off topic, but 360 HDR's netcode is way better than any other game i've played on console. I don't know if you mean ps3 or 360 HDR, because i have both, and the PS3 version IS a complete load of arse, but on 360 i can play solid games with well under 100ms ping with most of europe and east coast USA, and sub 50ms with UK & Ireland. No other fighting game i've played on console can touch that, the only one that comes close is SSFIV on 360 but i'm limited to UK and Ireland if i want really smooth games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ye Hound you're way off there, HDR on 360 is the best netcode a fighting game on console has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've heard that VF5 on 360 had good netcode.

But no-one plays it, so it doesn't matter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Would ye recommend buying it?

I've only been playing the demo so far and thought it was pretty good. Played a good lot of games on that.

One question, do ye find it easier to use the stick or the d-pad when playing. The last fighting game I played was MK:DA so it's been a while since I've played one. I tried using the stick but lots of different moves were going on.

• Advertisement

Risteard wrote: »
    Would ye recommend buying it?.....One question, do ye find it easier to use the stick or the d-pad when playing

If you're using a ps3 pad it's personal preference. I find the d-pad more intuitive and responsive because ive just always used 'em for 2d fighters. If you're using a 360 pad, throw it away and buy something decent. The 360 pad is complete garbage for fighting games, its triggers, shoulder buttons, and especially it's d-pad design just weren't made for them.

A madcatz sf4 fightpad for either system is a good option. I have one for each platform and they're decent and not too pricey. You'll need a custom button config for MK with it, but if you're serious about fighters you'll appreciate owning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I use a regular stick on MK and I found it awkward as hell for many hours - I'd probably have been just as well off sticking with pad, but I love using arcade sticks too much.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Ye Hound you're way off there, HDR on 360 is the best netcode a fighting game on console has had.
    Oh right, The PSN HDR is terrible

Yep, that's where i'll be going if i get enough time with the game to master a main character. The competition is pretty stiff down there, last thing i want to be is cannon fodder, so if i'm going i need to be gettin' my game on first.:D

BTW, i know it's off topic, but 360 HDR's netcode is way better than any other game i've played on console. I don't know if you mean ps3 or 360 HDR, because i have both, and the PS3 version IS a complete load of arse, but on 360 i can play solid games with well under 100ms ping with most of europe and east coast USA, and sub 50ms with UK & Ireland. No other fighting game i've played on console can touch that, the only one that comes close is SSFIV on 360 but i'm limited to UK and Ireland if i want really smooth games on it.
    Ye man, come to casuals, it looks like not many of the lads are going to be playin MK9, most of them like MVC3 and SSF4. MK9 as a regular at casuals would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

If MK became a regular at casuals I'd be interested. I've only managed to play the game in the shop for about 5 minutes, so naturally I'd want to get my copy and get used to the game first. PS3 version I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

To be honest I find online pretty decent, just look for Europe rooms etc. Think I played someone on here one night I remember the gamertag something bout a horsebox or something? Got mauled but only because I kept Getting launched by scorpions doom blade or whatever it's called.

I'm using the xbox dpad and it's actually holding up really well. Add me if you want a few games GT: kirk the dog

joe123 wrote: »
    To be honest I find online pretty decent, just look for Europe rooms etc. Think I played someone on here one night I remember the gamertag something bout a horsebox or something? Got mauled but only because I kept Getting launched by scorpions doom blade or whatever it's called.

I'm using the xbox dpad and it's actually holding up really well. Add me if you want a few games GT: kirk the dog
    Ye man that was me, didn't know you were Irish or from Ireland. I'll add you for some more MK9 if thats cool. Was ggs, ye the connection was fine too.

Are you guys creating rooms for all your games, even just having 1v1 sessions?

Maybe they use a different networking model for them?

Can't imagine why the hell having a private game wouldn't be the most efficient option connection-wise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Naphiel wrote: »
    If MK became a regular at casuals I'd be interested. I've only managed to play the game in the shop for about 5 minutes, so naturally I'd want to get my copy and get used to the game first. PS3 version I presume?

I'm usual at most wed and sat casual, I play mvc3 blazblue and mk as well. So I'm always up for some games in mk9 if you show up :D

Ps I'm not very good tho at mk9 yet, I only know some bnb combos with like 1 char tho.

That's still one more than me. :pac:
    I think I'll try ring around and see if anywhere has it back in stock yet. If not I'll just pester them until they do.

Big BB fan here, I like MvC3 too, so I'd be up for a game in either as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Finished the story mode.

The last boss is a dick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Default control scheme for a TE looks horrible. :pac:
    The second one doesn't look as bad but I'm not sold on it. Weren't some people using something along the lines of.

FP Bl BP
    FK Tag BK

EDIT: Managed to pick up the game today, going to mess around and find something that works.

Any Monty Python fans notice the name of Raidens 1st fatality?

That's gotta be a black knight gag. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy3vPHOF9kw

Inkredible adventures of Gootecks & Mike Ross ep1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

The little move when somebody is inputing the finishing move is deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ye man, come to casuals, it looks like not many of the lads are going to be playin MK9, most of them like MVC3 and SSF4. MK9 as a regular at casuals would be great

Alot of my mates bought it, so I was cajoled into ordering it Hound. I should have it by wednesday or thursday. So you will have one friendly face to play with at the XGC atleast. :)

Kirby wrote: »
    Alot of my mates bought it, so I was cajoled into ordering it Hound. I should have it by wednesday or thursday. So you will have one friendly face to play with at the XGC atleast. :)
    A few of us are playing it. Had some ggs at casuals yesterday. Its a lot of fun and hopefully more people will jump on the MK9 train, at least until SSF4 AE

It's been said by a few people in the thread already but I have to agree, I haven't had this much in single player in a fighting game ever. It can get pretty annoying when it's 2 against 1 and all your opponents do is teleport, Scorpion and Quan Chi looking at you. :pac:

Really loving the game at the moment, can't wait to try online when PSN is back up.

Is it just me or does the game focus on blocking and punishing more than combos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The last challenge is ridiculous, does it get any easier after
    kintaro?

Advertisement